• ベストアンサー

英文の邦訳

The fact that such promissory notes today cannot be cashed in for gold does not take away from their relationship to the sublime and the uncanny. It is important, however, not to lose sight of the fact that the ghostly glow shimmers only on rotting meat, that the other side of the sublime is slime—the messiness of desublimation necessary to create the seemingly pure forms of monetary equivalence and the seemingly pure distinctions between gift and commodity, sacred and profane, that animate whole monetary, mathematical, and market worlds. 上記英文を御訳し願います。

• jubu
  • お礼率86% (919/1061)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9725/12097)
回答No.2

「質問者からのお礼」を拝見しました。 >最後の方のthatですが,カンマ付で非制限用法になっているようですが,これは例外的ケースでしょうか? 他はマルクーゼなど,フランクフルト学派に思いも掛けずお目に掛かって懐かしかったです。 お訳しもお見事だと素人ながら感心致しました。 thatの使用法だけお教え下さい。 ⇒通常、thatには非制限用法はないとされます。ではなぜ本文ではカンマが付いているかといいますと、先行詞distinctionsと関係詞thatの間に長い語句between gift and commodity, sacred and profaneが介入したためと考えられます。つまり、(先行詞がどれかなどについて)紛らわしさを避けるためにカンマを入れただけで、この関係詞thatは、用法的には制限用法としての機能を担っています。:「貨幣や数学上の市場世界全体を活気づける→区別」。

jubu
質問者

お礼

良く分かりました。 ご指導に感謝致します。

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9725/12097)
回答No.1

むずかしいですね! あまり確信はありませんが、以下のとおり、語句と訳文・注をお答えします。 (語句) *The fact that ~:「~というのが事実だ(からといって)」。 *such promissory notes today cannot be cashed in for gold:「今日、このような約束手形類は金と交換できない」。 *does not take away from ~:「~を持ち去る・~が失われることはない」。 *their relationship to the sublime and the uncanny:「それら(約束手形類)の持つ崇高さや不可解/不気味さとの関係」。 *It is important, however, not to lose sight of the fact that ~:「しかるに、~という事実を見失わないことが重要である」。 *the ghostly glow shimmers only on rotting meat:「幽霊の(ようにかすかな)輝きは腐りかけの肉の上でしか見られない」。 *that the other side of the sublime is slime:「崇高さの裏側にはぬめり(のように嫌なもの)がある(のを見失わないこと)」。 *the messiness of desublimation necessary to create ~:「~を生み出すのに必要な昇華(の作業)は面倒・厄介(であること)」。messiness は、messy「厄介な」の名詞形。desublimationは「昇華、凝華」。 *the seemingly pure forms of monetary equivalence:「一見純粋に(汚れのないように)見える貨幣の等価性の形式」。 *the seemingly pure distinctions between gift and commodity, sacred and profane:「一見純粋に見える贈与と商品の区別、聖と俗の区別」。 *that animate whole monetary, mathematical, and market worlds:「貨幣や数学上の市場世界全体を活気づける(ところの区別)」。 (訳文) 「今日、このような約束手形類が金と交換できないというのが事実だからといって、崇高さや不可解な不気味さとの関係が失われるわけではない。しかるに、幽霊のようにかすかな輝きも腐りかけの肉の上でしか見られないという事実を、崇高さの裏側にはぬめりのように嫌なものがあるという事実を見失わないことが重要である ―― つまり、一見純粋で汚れのないように見える貨幣の等価性の形式を生み出し、貨幣や数学上の市場世界全体を活気づける、これも一見純粋に見える贈与品と商品との区別、聖と俗との区別を創出するのに必要な昇華*の作業は面倒で厄介なものである、ということである。」 *desublimation「昇華」について:ウィキペディアによれば、"Repressive desublimation"「抑圧的な昇華」なる語句は、フランクフルト学派の哲学者で社会学者のヘルベルト・マルクーゼが1964年の作品「一次元的人間」で最初に造った用語であり、高度な産業社会において、「技術的合理性の進歩が反対派と超越を清算する方法」を指し、「より高い文化」の要素である、といいます。

jubu
質問者

お礼

丁寧なご解答に感謝致します。 最後の方のthatですが,カンマ付で非制限用法になっているようですが,これは例外的ケースでしょうか? 他はマルクーゼなど,フランクフルト学派に思いも掛けずお目に掛かって懐かしかったです。 お訳しもお見事だと素人ながら感心致しました。 thatの使用法だけお教え下さい。お願い致します。

jubu
質問者

補足

これも一見純粋に見える贈与品と商品との区別、聖と俗との区別を創出するのに必要な昇華*の作業は面倒で厄介なものである このお訳しですが主語が2つ有るようで少々気になりました。 尚ご指導下さいますようお願いします。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

The power of the Big Three is even greater than their substantial share ownership suggests due to the fact that a significant fraction of shareholders do not vote their shares. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳

It is this “not quite,” this troubling remainder, that animated Renaissance European double-entry bookkeeping, and wizarded from accountants’ books the mysteries of “income” and “profit,” the sublime objects of capitalist ideology (Poovey 1998). 上記英文を御訳し下さい。(Bill Maurer (2005), Mutual Life, Limited: Islamic Banking, Alternative Currencies, Lateral Reason, Princeton University Press.)どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

Yet Section 13(d) and its applicable rules do not only support an interpretation of mandate ownership. They place the ability to exercise de facto power above any formal legal title to the share, and make it in fact superior to any other type of ownership. The SEC has formally recognized the supremacy of the ability to exercise de facto power over any formal title to the share as a constituent element of beneficial ownership, by explicitly indicating that “the mere possession of a legal right to vote is not determinative of who is the beneficial owner inasmuch as another person has the power, whether legal, economic or otherwise to direct such voting.” 上記英文の,特に The SEC以降の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳の添削

While seemingly entirely sensible, this formula makes an untenable assumption. It supposes that the economic and social world is given, and that the process of theorizing is a process of closer and closer approximation to that given world. In this respect, I would argue that the real challenge facing social science is to make sense of the claimed world of others, a world in which inherited theories do not seem to be able to sustain their claims of uniqueness. 上記英文の下記の試訳の添削をお願いします。 「総体的に有意義に思える一方,この定式化は,擁護できない憶測を立てる。そこでは,経済的および社会的な世界が与件であり,理論化の過程はそうした与件視された世界への漸近的接近であると言うことが真実であるように考えられている。この観点から,筆者は社会科学が直面する真の挑戦は,他者の主張する世界,その系統を引く理論が独自性を保持することができないと思われる世界の意味を解明することであると主張したい。」 以上,どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳

A securities intermediary is obligated to provide the entitlement holder with all of the economic and governance rights that comprise the financial asset and that the entitlement holder can look only to that intermediary for performance of the obligations. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳

Still, I think I was not unusual among historians of science of my generation in thinking that the widespread linking of science and technology or of science and administrative expertise involved something fundamentally spurious, that these supposed connections brought undeserved credit to each enterprise by making science seem more practical and its “applications” more intellectual than either really is. 上記英文を御訳し願います。

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

In a scientific paper published in 1672 about “shining flesh,” Boyle inserted a narrative about the “night before,” and set up a mousetrap of his own, a fact-within-a-fact, so to speak: Yesterday, when I was about to go to bed, an amanuensis of mine, accustomed to make observations, informed me, that one of the servants of the house, going upon some occasion to the larder, was frightened by something luminous, that she saw . . . where the meat had been hung up before. Whereupon, suspending for a while my going to rest, I presently sent for the meat into my chamber, and caused it to be placed in a corner of a room capable of being made considerably dark, and then I plainly saw, both with wonder and delight, that the joint of meat did, in divers places, shine like rotten wood or stinking fish; which was so uncommon a sight, that I had presently thought of inviting you to be a sharer in the pleasure of it. (quoted in Daston and Park 1998:13) 上記英文を御訳し下さい。

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

It is also clear that the problems of congealing diffuse outsider shareholdings, to discipline the management of the largest corporations when the need arises, is not so formidable, because these shareholdings are not so diffusely owned as is often supposed. 上記英文の邦訳をお願いいたします。

• 英文の邦訳

In this vein, it is argued that the idea of a GFN(grobal financial network) is compelling as finance is just as global and networked as production, if not more so, due to the interlocking structures and interdependent nature of financial systems and institutions. 上記英文の邦訳が以下の拙訳で適切かどうか,添削願います。 「こうした具合で,GFNが金融として抗しがたいという見方が,さらにそうかは分からないが,連結構造と金融システムと制度の相互関係に起因して,まさに生産として,グローバルで,ネットワーク化されていと主張されている。」 以上宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

In fairness to Davis, Yoo and Baker, at the time of their study, the trends that were evident a decade later were not as clear. It is therefore understandable that one could have interpreted the network as being highly stable. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。