What does 'paying several employees under the table' mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Paying employees under the table refers to the act of paying them off the books or without reporting it to the government.
  • This practice is often done to avoid taxes or bypass labor laws.
  • While some people may see it as a favor to the employees, it can also be seen as unethical and risky for the business.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

どのような意味でしょうか

I have been dating a wonderful guy for several years. He is a great partner, handsome, hard-working, and he cares a great deal about making me happy. My parents love him, too. I recently learned that his small business is paying several employees under the table, at the employees’ request. This has left me feeling confused and upset. I believed that he was a pretty ethical person, and, in his mind, he is doing a favor to his employees. In my mind, he is risking the company that he has worked so hard to build. paying several employees under the tableはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#236835
noname#236835
回答No.2

under the table  〔取引などが〕不正な方法で 「闇で雇っている」というような意味でしょう。例えば従業員の希望で所得税の課税対象とならないように取り計らうなど。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

"pay XXXX under the table" は本来、「XXXXに賄賂を与える」という意味になります。交渉時に、”机の下” で秘密裏に金銭の授受を行う、というのが語源です。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=pay+under+the+table しかしここでは対象が自社の社員ですから、賄賂というのはおかしいです。 おそらくここでは、社員が所得税を誤魔化せるよう、給料の支払いを非公式に行っている、という意味で使われているのだと思います。 "paying several employees under the table" 「何名かの社員に対し、給料を隠れて渡している」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• どのような意味でしょうか

I am a mother of three children, but it's the oldest my husband and I worry about. When "John" went to college, he started drinking a lot. I asked him about it then, and he admitted that he might have a problem, but he did nothing about it. That was 10 years ago. He has had two DWIs since, and he drinks every day. I found out from his girlfriend that he actually gets into the shower with a beer in his hand. I recently noticed that the whites of his eyes are yellow, which I'm told is a sign of liver damage. We've tried talking with John, but he denies he has a problem. My daughter and her friends have gone out socially with John, and she says he is fun to be with, and then suddenly a switch flips and he yells and curses. gone out socially with Johnはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

My partner and I (mid-30s) have been together for just under a year and he’s wonderful. I feel secure in our relationship with one exception. He has two children from a previous relationship, ages 6 and 10. They live with their mother (his relationship with her is still tense, though they’ve been apart for three years), and he sees them regularly and is very proud of them. This is the first time I’ve dated a parent and I want to handle it well, so I told him a couple of months ago that I feel ready to meet them and left it there. left it thereはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文が同じ意味になるようにしたいんですが…

あってますか(>_<)? 1、My wife is Mary. I got married to her twenty years ago. =Mary and I (have)(been)(married) for twenty years. 2、It is two years since my aunt died. =My aunt (has)(been)(died) for two years. 3、He is blind because he lost his sight as a child. =He (has't)(been)(?) since he was a child. この問題がよく分かりません(>_<) 分かるかたお願いいたします。 中学 高校 大学 英語

• 意味を教えてください

I have been dating an amazing man for the past six months. We are still at the “sleeping over several times a week” stage. We are absolutely incapable of sharing a bed and getting enough sleep. We have sex and cuddle a while, then he slips off to my guest room and sleeps there for the night. He says my bed is too soft. When I stay at his place, I think his bed is too hard. Our sleep styles are wildly different, and we’re both in our mid-30s and a bit set in our ways. He burritos himself in the bedclothes; I insist that the sheets must be tucked in order for me to feel secure. burritos himselfとtucked inの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

Several months ago my family and I pulled into our driveway in my vehicle. We noticed that there were wires pulled down underneath my husband’s vehicle. It turns out that someone cut his brake lines! I was totally freaked out and wanted to call the authorities to make a report. He vehemently refused and said it wouldn’t do any good. He was able to repair the brakes himself and didn’t want to talk about it. I wanted to talk about it but didn’t want our kids to hear for fear they may get scared. I asked him repeatedly who could have done this. He said, “Probably neighborhood kids.” I said that neighborhood kids don’t usually try to kill people! He purchased outside motion detector cameras immediately after this incident, and nothing has happened since. My husband is a quiet, mild-mannered guy (who has absolutely NO GAME—I made the first, second, and third moves!). has absolutely NO GAMEはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I suffer from very severe clinical depression and anxiety disorder. I am under a doctor’s care, but I still have times when these issues overwhelm me. Recently, my life has been more stressful than usual. I have tried to talk to my husband about my depression in the past, but he just tells me that I have a good life and I shouldn’t feel that way. I told him I don’t feel like I can talk to him about what is going on with me because of these responses. He assures me he is my biggest supporter and I can talk to him about anything. This past weekend I told my husband I was feeling very depressed, and his response was to roll his eyes and say, “What’s wrong with you now?” I told him again that these reactions are why I don’t feel like I can actually talk to him. His response was to get angry with me because I refuse to realize how good I have it. how good I have itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• paying his way

Two years after my mom made that decision, my dad successfully applied to be transferred to a prison closer to us. I would love to say that he did it because he really wanted to reconnect with his daughter, but the truth is that he wanted to be closer to his mother. She was paying his way in prison. paying his wayとはどういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I live with my long-term boyfriend in my house. I make significantly more money than him and am also far more conservative on finances; I pay all my bills and put 15 percent of every check into savings before I make any “want” purchases. When my boyfriend moved in, we discussed and agreed that he would take over a few bills but concentrate on getting his savings built up. It has been three months, and he hasn’t saved a penny. Instead, he is blowing his money on video games, trips, and expensive hobbies. He also has been short on bills, and I have to cover them, but it is never more than $20 or $50, and he pays me back. Our last huge fight was when he leased a brand-new truck even though he has a perfectly running, paid-off older Honda. He said I was trying to control him and that I wasn’t his mother. I yelled that I might as well be, since he was acting like a teenager and living rent free under my roof. 1 getting his savings built upですが、having something built upという形はよくみるのでうすが、そのようにも言えるでしょうか?違いはあるでしょうか?あと、getting his savings to build upは言えるでしょうか? 2 short on billsは「紙幣が不足している??」short on moneyと同意でしょうか? 3 I yelled that I might as well beの訳を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• 動名詞の意味上の主語のある文

(1)He insisted on my paying the money. (2)He insisted on me paying the money. が 両方OK文なのは、わかるのですが、 (1)にすると(つまりmyです。)  He insisted on my paying of the money. ⇒ my paying で名詞あつかいにしてしまう。(ちゃんとした名詞は、paymentとかいうのは、わかります。)というので of をつけたりするのは、 どうなんでしょうか? やはり paying 分詞あつかいの目的語のthe moneyで ofなんてつけるのを考えるのは、論外なのでしょうか?   I was proud of his winning of the race. も同様の考えです。 どうなんでしょう? やっぱり I was proud of his (him) winning the race. ですか?  宜しくお願いいたします。

• よろしくお願いします

"Ken" and I have been married five years, together nine. Ken is an amazing person; he's upbeat, handsome, charming, and thoughtful, but can't seem to stick to a job. He has a master's in a high-paying technical field that cost his parents a fortune, but he hated it so much he lasted less than a year in that field. cost his parents a fortuneは何に対して法外な金がかかるといっているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします