過去完了について

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 過去完了とは、ある過去の出来事が別の過去の出来事よりも前に起こったことを表します。
  • 質問の文では、My now husband surprised meが先に起こった出来事であり、he had cut up my favourite pictureがその前の出来事であることが示されています。
  • したがって、ここでの過去完了の使用は正しいものと言えます。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

過去完了について

My now husband surprised me on Christmas Eve morning with a puzzle. He's a brilliant photographer and he had cut up my favourite picture that he's taken - and turned it into a huge puzzle. ここでhe had cut up my favourite pictureと過去完了が使われているのは、前のMy now husband surprised meよりも前の出来事(大過去)ということでいいでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • umai29
  • ベストアンサー率20% (2/10)
回答No.1

大過去だからというのが教科書的な答えですが、平たく過去形じゃダメだったのかという疑問に答えるなら、パズルを目にするまでそのカットという行為が目的を果たしていないからです。彼の中ではカット・ターンという動詞がその時点まで完了していなかったからです。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.4

すみません、誕生日は関係なく、イブの朝です。

回答No.3

いつも申し上げるように、いわゆる大過去的な過去完了は たいてい過去で代用が聞きます。 大過去は日本人が大好きなだけ。 ほとんどの過去完了は、完了・経験・継続で使われています。 surprised という、筆者の誕生日の日があり、 その時点が今であれば he has cut up ,,, という現在完了で書いたはずの内容があったわけです。 つまり、そのイブの朝、驚いたのは favorite picture が目の前にあるわけです。 cut して、そのしたままの状態にある、という完了(特に結果) であるから過去完了です。 完了としての過去完了をすべて大過去ですますということは 現在完了と過去を区別しないのと同じこと。 過去の1点は現在完了では使えないけど、過去完了は 大過去としてより古い過去の一点を表すことができる、 という用法はあることにはありますが、 多くの場合が、完了とか継続になっています。 ただ、より古い、だけでは He has been sick since yesterday. 現在完了に、昨日病気という過去がある、 それだけで終わり、現在完了と過去を区別していない、 という理屈になります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。過去完了、難しいです

• 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.2

cortaさん、よくぞこれだけ過去完了の例をひろってこれますね。こちらが勉強になります。 この場合時制だけ見れば、何もhad cut up と過去完了にする必要はないと思います。文の流れを見るとhe had cut up my favourite picture の後に and (そして)があって、その後で turned it into a huge puzzleなので、had cutがcutでも問題無いはず。その意味では大過去と言う事ではなく、一生懸命パズルにするためにカットする作業が続いたことを強調し、それが完了 (had cut )した時にパズルになった (turned it into a huge puzzle) と言う事を言いたかったのかと思います。 もう一つ理由があるとすると、had cut がHe's a brilliant photographerとhe's takenと言う現在形と現在形に挟まれたちょっと変なポジションにあり、更にcut が原形と過去、過去分詞が同じなので、もし過去形で he cut とするとcutsの書き間違いなのかと混乱しそうなので、メリハリをつけてはっきりさせるのに都合が良いと言う表現上の事情もあったかも知れません。

corta
質問者

お礼

お世話になります。よく読んでいるサイトによく過去完了形が出てきて、なおかつ過去完了形が苦手で度々質問させていただいています。ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 過去完了

They once took my son when he was small and drove him around and grilled him because they thought he was being abused. He had fallen and hit his face on a bleacher at the pool. My mom was there and saw the whole thing happen but pretended not to know. I worked for Child Protective Services at the time and was humiliated. But thank goodness, my son and I were interviewed, so we could prove nothing bad had happened. He had fallenとnothing bad hadのところはなぜ過去形ではなく過去完了なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 過去完了について

"I met my hubby when we were both deployed overseas. The chow hall at our camp had this AMAZING chocolate cake that they served every few weeks. On my birthday he got me a WHOLE chocolate cake, and had somehow found frosting and wrote "Happy Birthday SunShinesForMe". had somehow found frostingのところはなぜ過去完了が使われているのでしょうか?あと、 chow hallとfrostingの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 過去完了形

オー・ヘンリの「罪と覚悟」の中の英文です。 The next morning Jimmy took breakfast at the Adamses. He was going to Little Rock that day to order his wedding-suit and buy something nice for Annabel. 【That would be the first time he had left town since he came to Elmore. 】 It had been more than a year now since those last professional "jobs," and he thought he could safely venture out. この中の 【That would be the first time he had left town since he came to Elmore.】について "he had left"の過去完了形を過去形の"left"にしてしまうと 意味がどのように違ってきてしまうのでしょうか? 過去完了形で書いている意味を知りたいです。 訳は「エルモアへ来てから、はじめてこの町を離れる日でもあった。」(大久保ゆう訳) になっています。

• 途中の訳を教えてください。

途中の訳を教えてください。 My father had a 5000 piece puzzle at Christmas, he has justed finished it....he asked me if i wanted it....I said iranai. It was a puzzle where picture is different to the puzzle so muzukashii, i dont have the patience. 私の父はクリスマスに5000ピースのパズルを持っていた。彼はそれを完成させたばかりだった。 彼は私に聞いた。もしこれがほしかったら・・・私はいらないと言った。 そのパズルは・・・??where以下が訳せません。 私にはこのパズルをやる忍耐?はありません。 お願いします。

• 過去完了?

早速質問です・・・ I lost the ring you gave me and I don't have it now. という文を書き換えて I had lost the ring you gave me. という文にして直訳を ”私はあなたが私にくれた指輪を無くしました。” としたのですがいまいちこの下の文の訳がしっくりきません。 どうしてこのような訳なるのか、文法的な説明をお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

But after a while I begin to take brief glimpses,and at length I watch again with thirsty interest, like a child who tries to maintain his sulk when he is offered the bribe of candy. My parents are now having their picture taken in a photographer's booth along the boardwalk. The place is shadowed in the mauve light which is apparently necessary. The camera is set to the side on its tripod and looks like a Martian man. The photographer is instructing my parents in how to pose. My father has his arm over my mother's shoulder and both of them smile emphatically. The photographer brings my mother a bouquet of flowers to hold in her hand, but she holds it at the wrong angle. Then the photographer covers himself with the black cloth which drapes the camera and all that one sees of him is one protruding arm and his hand with which he holds tightly to the rubber ball which he squeezes when the picture is taken. But he is not satisfied with their appearance. He feels that sonehow there is something wrong in their pose. Again and again he comes out from his hiding place with new directions. Each suggestion merely makes matters worse. My father is becoming impatient.They try a seated pose.The photographer explains that he has his pride, he wants to make beautiful pictures, he is not merely interested in all of this for the money. My father says: "Hurry up, will you? We haven't got all night." But the photographer only scurries about apologetically, issuing new directions. The photographer charms me, and I approve of him with all my heart, for I know exactly how he feels, and as he criticizes each revised pose according to some obscure idea of rightness, I become quite hopeful. But then my father says angrily: "Come on, you've had enough time, we're not going to wait any longer." And the photographer, sighing unhappily, goes back into the black covering, and holds out his hand, saying: "One, two, three, Now!," and the picture is taken, with my father's smile turned to a grimace and my mother's bright and false. It takes a few minutes for the picture to be developed and as my parents sit in the curious light they become depressed.

• 過去完了

A few months later, however, Hera appeared at our door, asked my stepdaughter if my husband was at home, and said she wanted to return a book she'd borrowed. My stepdaughter told her to scram. she'd borrowedのところはなぜ過去完了なのでしょうか?過去形でのOKでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 過去形と過去完了

皆さんはじめまして。 過去形と過去分詞の問題集を解いているのですが、下記の問題がいまいちわかりませんので、ご教示頂けますと幸いです。 問題指示文: Underline the correct answers. In some cases only one is correct, and in others both are correct. 問題1 As Geoff was introduced to Mrs Snape, he realised that he [had met/ met] her before. 回答:had met 問題2 During the previous week, I [had been/ went] to the gym every evening. 回答:Both 問題3 He denied that he [had taken/ took] the money from the office. 回答:Both 問題4 The boy told me that he [had lost/ lost] his train ticket and didn't know how he would get home. 回答:had lost 問題5 The teacher guessed that some of the children [had cheated/ cheated] in the exam. 回答:Both 問題1のみ理解できるのですが、その他の問題がいまいちわかりません。もちろんすべてにご回答頂かなくても問題ございませんので、なにか法則や共通点等をご教示頂けますでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• 過去完了

My best friend from college recently had a baby. I had planned a trip to visit her, and during my visit, she said, we would visit the local pool. https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/dearabby/s-2094412 I had plannedと過去完了が使われていますが、これでは友達が赤ちゃんを授かる前に旅行を計画していたとなってしまわないのでしょうか?なぜ過去完了なのか教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 過去完了形について

こんにちは。 下記の問題について質問です。 私はこのドレスをパーティーに着て行きました。祖母がクリスマスのプレゼントに買ってくれたものでした。 I wore this dress to the party. My grandomother had bought it for me as a Christmas gift. この買ってくれたものです。=had bought. ですが、過去形にはならないのでしょうか? なぜ過去完了形なのか分かりません。 よろしくお願いいたします。