The Existence of God and the Afterlife

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The difficulty in understanding the concept of a God who rewards and punishes based on human modelled purposes.
  • The skepticism towards the belief in the survival of the individual after death and the criticism of such thoughts as driven by fear or egotism.
  • The contentment in contemplating the eternal mystery of conscious life, reflecting on the universe's marvelous structure, and humbly trying to comprehend nature's intelligence.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文についての質問です。

I cannot imagine a Got who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature.(What I Believe by A. Einstein)  わからない点について教えてください。 1)I cannot imagine a Got who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. ここの内容を掴むのが難しいです。 whose purposes are modeled after our own・・・whoseの先行詞はa Godですか? a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty・・・人間の弱さの反射である神?とはどういう意味ですか? a God、とaがなぜGodの前についているのでしょうか? 2)Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. 前文(I cannot imagine~)を受けてI cannot believe that~という理解でよいでしょうか? the individual survives the death of his body・・・個人は肉体の死を生き残る although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism・・・弱い魂はそんな考えを、恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通して抱くけれども ここで筆者が言おうとしている主旨はどういうことになるのでしょうか? 死んだあとも魂は生きる(?)という考え方はなぜ恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通していると見なされるのでしょうか? 3)It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. この英文の構造は、 It is enough for me to contemplate~ , to reflect upon ~, to try humbly~ と、三つのto不定詞がIt is enough for meである、という捉え方でよいでしょうか? この最後の部分が筆者の一番言いたかったことのように思うのですが、 It is enough for me to~の捉え方として、"~だけで十分だ"、といった解釈にしてもよいでしょうか?(通常、"~は十分だ"、になると思うのですが) 質問がいつも大変多くなってしまって申し訳ありません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> 1)I cannot imagine a Got who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. > whose purposes are modeled after our own・・・ whose の先行詞は a God ですか?  そうです。 > a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty・・・ 人間の弱さの反射である神?とはどういう意味ですか?  ここでの a reflection は 「反射」 ではなくて 「反映」 に近い意味です。「神とは、要するに、人間の弱さを反映したものに過ぎない」 ということですね。 > a God、とaがなぜGodの前についているのでしょうか?  冠詞を付けない God は、一神教 (ユダヤ教、キリスト教、イスラム教) の神を表す場合の表現です (ご存知かもしれませんが、日本の八百万の神々などは gods となるわけです)。a God という表現をしているのは、God を 「人間の創造物」 とする主張に沿うように 「God なるもの」 というふうに、God を客体化した表現です。 > 2)Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. > 前文(I cannot imagine~)を受けて I cannot believe that~ という理解でよいでしょうか?  そうです。初めに 「~ ということをするような神なんてものは想像できない」 と述べて、今度は 「また、~ ということを信じることもできない」 と述べてますから、対になった形の文にしています。 > the individual survives the death of his body・・・個人は肉体の死を生き残る > although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism・・・弱い魂はそんな考えを、恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通して抱くけれども > ここで筆者が言おうとしている主旨はどういうことになるのでしょうか? > 死んだあとも魂は生きる(?)という考え方はなぜ恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通していると見なされるのでしょうか?  「恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通している」 というか、ここでの through は 「~ のせいで」 あるいは 「~ にうながされて」 のような、源を指し示す語として用いられていると思われます。「恐れや愚かなエゴを抱いている存在であるがゆえに、人間はそのような考えを抱くのだ」 といった意味のことを述べているように読めます。 > 3)It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. > この英文の構造は、It is enough for me to contemplate~ , to reflect upon ~, to try humbly~ と、三つのto不定詞が It is enough for me である、という捉え方でよいでしょうか?  いいと思います。 > この最後の部分が筆者の一番言いたかったことのように思うのですが、It is enough for me to~の捉え方として、"~だけで十分だ"、といった解釈にしてもよいでしょうか?(通常、"~は十分だ"、になると思うのですが)  「十分だ」 という解釈でいいと思います。あるいは、「満足だ」 というニュアンスも含んでいるのかもしれませんけれども、そこまでこだわらなくてもいいかも。  「完全に永遠なる存在を通して自らを不朽のものにしようと考える人間というものの不思議さに思いを馳せ、また、我々にはぼんやりとしか感知できないものだが、宇宙の驚異的な構造について考え、自然界の示した微小な知性のかけらのようなものを、慎んで理解しようと努めること、わたしにはそれだけで十分だ」  この部分では、人間と宇宙とミクロの世界という、3つの世界を持ち出しています。

chrleyk
質問者

お礼

大変詳しく、また丁寧にご解説、ご回答を頂いてありがとうございました! reflection、throughについて、今まで捉えていた意味に対してそれとは違った意味もあるということを気づかせていただいて、とても勉強になりました。英文を読む時に役立てたいです。 a Godの個所のご説明もありがとうございました。 また、3)の筆者の主張を訳していただき、総括もしていただいた部分(3つの世界を持ち出している)については、なるほどと感じました。 "What I Believe"はこれで最後になります。 内容的に難しく把握しにくい個所が多々ありましたが、これまでご回答をお寄せ頂いたことに心から感謝いたします。 ベスト・アンサーは、気持ちの上ではbakanskyさんと、Nakay702さんのお二方に送らせていただきたいと思います。長い質問に対して本当にありがとうございました!

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9718/12086)
回答No.3

以下のとおりお答えします。 (全訳) 自分の手になる創造物に報償や処罰を与えるような神を、私は想像できない。神の目的は我々自身のそれ(目的)になぞらえて作られている ― 要するに、神は人間の弱さの反映に他ならないのだから。私はまた、たとえ弱い魂が恐怖や馬鹿げた自己中心主義のゆえに考えつくことだとしても、個人が自分の肉体の死を超えて生き続ける、などということを信じることもできない。 私としては、次のようなことができるだけで十分である。すなわち、完全な永遠に繋げようとする意識的生の神秘を省察すること、我々がかすかにしか感知していない驚くべき宇宙構造を熟考すること、そして自然界に示された知性の極小部分なりとも理解すべく謙虚に努めること、以上のことだけで私は十分(満足)である。 (ご質問への回答) >1)I cannot imagine a Got who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own --a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. >ここの内容を掴むのが難しいです。 >whose purposes are modeled after our own・・・whoseの先行詞はa Godですか? ⇒はい、そうだと思います。 >a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty・・・人間の弱さの反射である神?とはどういう意味ですか? ⇒神を造物主などと呼んだりしますが、実はその神(像)を造ったのは人間です。そして、人間が神を造るときの心理は、人間の弱みを救ってもらいたいという願望が込められるわけですね。これすなわち、「神に人間の弱さが反映している」ことになります。 >a God、とaがなぜGodの前についているのでしょうか? ⇒固有名詞にaをつけると、「…という~、…のような~」という意味になります。ということは、Godは「(一神教の)神」、a Godは「神のようなもの・神的存在」といったニュアンスになるでしょう。 2)Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. >前文(I cannot imagine~)を受けてI cannot believe that~という理解でよいでしょうか? ⇒はい、その理解でよく、この2文が並列関係にあると思います。 >the individual survives the death of his body・・・個人は肉体の死を生き残る >although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism・・・弱い魂はそんな考えを、恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通して抱くけれども >ここで筆者が言おうとしている主旨はどういうことになるのでしょうか? ⇒「肉体が滅んでも魂は永遠に生きるなどということは、人間の弱さゆえ出てくる世迷言だ」というような感じではないでしょうか。 >死んだあとも魂は生きる(?)という考え方はなぜ恐れや馬鹿げた自己中心主義を通していると見なされるのでしょうか? ⇒(i)「その考え方は恐れから生じる」というわけは、永遠に消滅することを怖れるのは、ただ徒に恐怖心を抱くだけで、何の意味もなさないと思われるから。「人間が最も怖れることは、実は自分自身の想像したことである」(コンラッド)。 (ii)「馬鹿げた自己中心主義から生じる」というわけは、「人間は特別で、世界の中心であり、すべてが人間のためにある」というような "egocentric particular"「自己中心的特殊規定」(ラッセル)である。平たく言えば、「人間の一人よがり」の考え方だからだ。 >3)It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. >この英文の構造は、 >It is enough for me to contemplate~ , to reflect upon ~, to try humbly~ >と、三つのto不定詞がIt is enough for meである、という捉え方でよいでしょうか? ⇒はい、この3つが並列に並んでいますね。 >この最後の部分が筆者の一番言いたかったことのように思うのですが、 >It is enough for me to~の捉え方として、"~だけで十分だ"、といった解釈にしてもよいでしょうか?(通常、"~は十分だ"、になると思うのですが) ⇒おっしゃるように、「この3つのことができるだけで私は十分満足である」というニュアンスだと思います。 以上、ご回答まで。

chrleyk
質問者

お礼

すばらしい全訳と一緒に、大変丁寧にご解説、ご回答を頂いてありがとうございました! 特に2)の質問について、コンラッド(イギリスの小説家でしょうか?未読なので機会があれば読みたいです。)やラッセルの言葉を挙げていただき、内容を理解するのに助かりました。 また、"egocentric particular"という言葉も知ることができました。 a Godの個所のご説明もありがとうございました。 3)についてもありがとうございます。 個人的には、筆者のto try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in natureの中にある、"謙虚に努めること"の個所が最も感銘を受けました。 "What I Believe"をなんとか読み終えることができました。 自分では訳しきれないところや、わからないところが多々ありましたが、これまでご回答をお寄せ頂いたことに心から感謝いたします。

関連するQ&A

• 英文についての質問です。(1)

Intriguing though Galton's eminent families are, they decidedly do not demonstrate the inheritance of genius. For there is basic flaw in his analysis: his criteria for genius (which, of course, Galton never defines) are not strict enough, allowing in too many high achievers whose distinction may be considerable but is far from enduringly exceptional. Hereditary Genius is, so to speak, closer to the Queen's honours list than the Nobel prize. (Genius by Andrew Robinson) 1) his criteria for genius (which, of course, Galton never defines) are not strict enough, allowing in too many high achievers whose distinction may be considerable but is far from enduringly exceptional. considerableは"かなりの"という意味ですか? but is~はbut(distinction) is~ですか? この英文はnot~but構文なのでしょうか? 2) Hereditary Genius is, so to speak, closer to the Queen's honours list than the Nobel prize. 遺伝性の天才は、いわばノーベル賞よりも女王の叙爵者一覧に近い(?)とはどういう意味ですか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文について質問です

Having sought to give a naturalistic explanation of observable phenomena, rather than appealing to the wills of gods, Thales claimed that god is in all things. According to Aetius, Thales said the mind of the world is god, that god is intermingled in all things, a view that would shortly appear contemporaneously in a number of world religions, most notably Buddhism in India. rather than appealing to the wills of gods, Thales claimed that god is in all things.というのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 直訳だと、神の意思に訴えるよりも、神はすべての中にいると主張した、ですか?意味がよく掴めません。 Thales said the mind of the world is god, that god is intermingled in all things, a view that would shortly appear contemporaneously in a number of world religions, most notably Buddhism in India. この英文のthat godのthatは、その、という意味ですか?それとも、saidがあってthat以下を述べた、ということですか? また、全体の構造がわからないのですが、(とりわけa view that would shortly ~以下の全体への繋がりについて) a view~と、most notably Buddhismはその前にあるin all things と並列になっているのでしょうか? in a view~ in most notably Buddhism~ 並列だとしてin all things と言ってて、in a view となるのがわかりません。 all viewsにはならないのでしょうか? 意味がよく取れてないのでわからないなですが。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文についての質問です。

This argument, so often cited as a premier example of reason at its most perfectly and preciously ridiculous, was most seriously and comprehensively set forth by the British naturalist Philip Henry Gosse in 1857. Gosse paid proper homage to historical context in choosing a title for his volume. He named it Omphalos (Greek for navel), in Adam's honor, and added as a subtitle: An Attempt to Untie the Geological Knot. Since Omphalos is such spectacular nonsense, readers may rightly ask why I choose to discuss it at all. I do so, first of all, because its author was such a serious and fascinating man, not a hopeless crank or malcontent. Any honest passion merits our attention, if only for the oldest of stated reasons--Terence's celebrated Homo sum; humani nihil a me alienum puto ( I am human, and am therefore indifferent to nothing done by humans.) (Adam's navel by Stephen Jay Gould) 1) 出だしのThis argumentというのは、前回質問させていただいた(https://okwave.jp/qa/q9315469.html)中にあるmany earnest people of faith had wondered whether Adam had a navel.の個所を主に指していると思うのですが、 (もう少し議論の内容を述べると、以下のような感じだと思います) ★He was, after all, not born of a woman and required no remnant of his nonexistent umbilical cord. Yet, in creating a prototype, would not God make his first man like all the rest to follow? Would God, in other words, not create with the appearance of pre-existence? ★ so often cited as a premier example of reason at its most perfectly and preciously ridiculous reasonの意味がよくとれません。しばしばその最も完全な極めてばかげたことにおいて、理由の?(理性の?)第一の例として引用される・・・? 2) Since Omphalos is such spectacular nonsense, readers may rightly ask why I choose to discuss it at all. この英文の最後のat allはどのように訳すのでしょうか? オムファロスはそのように目覚ましいばかげた考えであるので、読者はなぜ私がそれを議論することを選ぶのか当然のことながら尋ねるかもしれません。 (at allをどこにどのように入れて訳したらよいのかがわかりません) 3) Any honest passion merits our attention, if only for the oldest of stated reasons if only~がわかりません。いかなる誠実な情熱も私たちの注目に値します。定まった理由の最も古いものにとって・・・・? エッセイの一部分なので、大変わかりにくい文だと思いますが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の和訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 身内についての説明文かもしれませんが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 n the previous two readings I told you of your future partners Mother and then his Father In this reading to complete the picture I will tell you something of the rest of his family. His siblings or other close relatives. It is the parents who always show most distinctly and clearly, because their influence on your partners early fate and background in generally the stronger, but some details about the rest of the family do show. The reason I only reveal his background step by step, when it is there to be found, is simply that while to you it may just be one paragraph that is quickly read, it takes a long time to detangle his family relationships from the web of fate in your chart. so there is only enough time to include a fragment in each reading, if we are to allow room for other important things.

• この英文は聖書でしょうか?

(1)Now John was clothed camel's hair, and had a leather girdle around his waist, and ate locusts and wild honey. (2)By my baptism the waters will be sanctified, receiving from me fire and the Holy Spirit... (3)In this body the life of Christ is communicated to those who believe and who, through the sacraments, are united in a hidden and real way to Christ in his passion and glorification. キリスト教/イエス/イエズス/神学/マリア/

• 英文についての質問です。

I believe that you in the United States have hit upon the right idea. You choose a President for a reasonable length of time and give him enough power to acquit himself properly of his responsibilities. In the German Government, on the other hand, I like the state's more extensive care of the individual when he is ill or unemployed. What is truly valuable in our bustle of life is not the nation, I should say, but the creative and impressionable individuality, the personality--he who produces the noble and sublime while the common herd remains dull in thought and insensible in feeling. This subject brings me to that vilest offspring of the herd mind--the odious militia.The man who enjoys marching in line and file to the strains of music falls below my contempt; he received his great brain by mistake--the spinal cord would have been amply sufficient. This heroism at command, this senseless violence, this accursed bombast of patriotism---how intensely I despise them! War is low and despicable, and I had rather be smitten to shreds than participate in such doings. Such a stain on humanity should be erased without delay. I think well enough of human nature to believe that it would have been wiped out long ago had not the common sense of nations been systematically corrupted through school and press for business and political reasons. (What I Believe by A. Einstein) わからない点について教えてください。 1)1段落目にあるthe (creative and impressionable) individualityと the personalityは、同格で並んでいるのでしょうか? the individualityとthe personalityはどちらも"個性"を意味する単語だと思うのですがどのような違いがあるのでしょうか? 2)2段落目の冒頭にあるThis subjectというのは、個人よりも国家を重んじてしまうという主題でしょうか? 前段のWhat is truly valuable~最後までの部分を指しているようにも感じるのですが、 he who produces the noble and sublime while the common herd remains dull in thought and insensible in feeling.の意味するところが主題にどのようにかかわっているのかよくわかりません。 3)2段落目にあるThe man who enjoys marching in line and file to the strains of music falls below my contempt; he received his great brain by mistake--the spinal cord would have been amply sufficient. これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 特にthe spinal cord would have been amply sufficient.の個所が意味不明です。 "brain"は才能ですか? 4) 3段落目にあるI think well enough of human nature to believe that it would have been wiped out long ago had not the common sense of nations been systematically corrupted through school and press for business and political reasons. この英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? to believe that~・・・that以下を信じるために? it would have been・・・・it=human nature? had not the common sense of nations been systematically corrupted ~・・・ had notとbeenの間にthe common sense of nationsが入っている構造がわかりません。 倒置ですか? 大変長くなってしまって申し訳ありません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文添削をお願いします

下の文章の添削をお願いできますか? You may already forget when you said to me this but they are enough words for insult me. But even I feel so I still tried to behave nicely at that time. あなたはいつどんなふうにそれを言ったかも覚えてないかもしれなけれど、でもあの言葉の数々は私が屈辱を感じるのに充分だった。それでも、私はあのとききちんとあなたに接しようと努力した。 I wanted to believe that you are not the kind of person who can easily cheat one's wife and daughter. I wanted to believe that it is not possible that you are like that.... 私はあなたが簡単に奥さんや娘さんを裏切るような人だと信じたくなかった。そんな人であるはずないと思いたかった。 以上です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の問題の添削をお願いします!

※穴埋め 1)A restaurant whose name is well known is always expensive. =A restaurant the name of ( ) is well known is always expensive. 2)There is no one who doesn't have his faults. =There is no one (but) (have) his faults. 3)Charles gave the boy all the money he had. =Charles gave the boy (what) money he had. ※[]内の語を入れるのに正しい位置の番号を指摘 1)(1) It is often said (2) that rice is (3) to Asians (4) wheat is to Europeans. [what] →(3)? 2)(1) The man (2) you were talking (3) used to work (4) for our company. [to] →(3)?

• 次の英文の訳し方を教えてください

A man who is held up to the best and finest of his nature while on the court go off it and be a mucker.

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

I have always regarded his statements in regard to the Treatise as unreliable. The effect of the violent disappointment he had about that was to arouse a complex in him which prevented him from being sensible on the matter for the rest of his life; his chief object being to cover up and to excuse. On looking into Birkbeck Hill I find that I am not alone in attributing this side to his character. Hill writes on page viii of his preface: “Hume, with a levity which is only found in a man who is indifferent to strict truthfulness. . .”. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。