The Chateau: A Mixture of Gloom and Grandeur

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The chateau, a blend of darkness and magnificence amid the Apennines, became my refuge in a wounded state.
  • The comma-rich opening of Edgar Allan Poe's The Oval Portrait perplexes me regarding the connection between sentences.
  • Can someone explain it to me?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の構造について教えてください。

The chateau into which my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded condition, to pass a night in the open air, was one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur which have so long frowned among the Apennines, not less in fact than in the fancy of Mrs. Radcliffe. Edgar Allan PoeのThe Oval Portraitという作品の冒頭部分なのですが、 コンマが多くてどのように文が繋がっているのかわかりません。 教えていただけないでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9717/12085)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。文型、骨組み、修飾関係に着目すると分かりやすいと思います。 *文型:S+V+C(=第2文型)。 骨組み:The chateau was one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur. 「そのお城は、かの薄暗闇と威厳の混合した大建造物の一つであった。」 「お城」とそれにかかる修飾語句: The chateau {into which my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance, (rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded condition, to pass a night in the open air,)} 「{(ひどい傷を負った状態の私に戸外で一夜を過ごさせるようなことはすまいと)、私の従者が、強制的な侵入を敢行した}そのお城」 「大建造物」とそれにかかる修飾語句: one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur {which have so long frowned among the Apennines, (not less in fact than in the fancy of Mrs. Radcliffe)}. 「{(実のところ、ラドクリフ夫人の空想に勝るとも劣らず)、アペニン山脈の奥で長い間人を寄せつけなかった}かの薄暗闇と威厳の混合した大建造物の一つ」 修飾関係を残したままでの全文と訳 The chateau {into which my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance, (rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded condition, to pass a night in the open air,)} was one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur {which have so long frowned among the Apennines, (not less in fact than in the fancy of Mrs. Radcliffe)}. 「{(ひどい傷を負った状態の私に戸外で一夜を過ごさせるようなことはすまいと)、私の従者が、強制的な侵入を敢行した}そのお城は、{(実のところ、ラドクリフ夫人の空想に勝るとも劣らず)、アペニン山脈の奥で長い間人を寄せつけなかった}かの薄暗闇と威厳の混合した大建造物の一つであった。」 質問文と訳文 The chateau into which my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded condition, to pass a night in the open air, was one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur which have so long frowned among the Apennines, not less in fact than in the fancy of Mrs. Radcliffe. 「ひどい傷を負った状態の私に戸外で一夜を過ごさせるようなことはすまいと、私の従者が強制的な侵入を敢行したそのお城は、実際ラドクリフ夫人の空想に勝るとも劣らずアペニン山脈の奥で長い間人を寄せつけなかった、あの薄暗闇と威厳の混じったような大建造物の一つであった。」 以上、ご回答まで。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

文の構造がよくわかりました! 訳も難しかったのですがよくわかりました。 ありがとうございます!

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> The chateau into which my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance, rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded condition, to pass a night in the open air, was one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur which have so long frowned among the Apennines, not less in fact than in the fancy of Mrs. Radcliffe.  便宜上、少し細切れにしてみます。  1. The chateau into which my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance   ここはお分かりかもしれません。my valet had ventured to make forcible entrance into the chateau という文の the chateau を文頭に出したもの。  2. rather than permit me, in my desperately wounded condition, to pass a night in the open air   ここは、rather than permit me to pass a night と続く文の中に in my desperately wounded condition というのが挿入されている形。  3. was one of those piles of commingled gloom and grandeur which have so long frowned among the Apennines   ここはその was がどこからつながっているのかが問題。これは文頭にある The chateau を主語とする述語動詞になってるのだと思います。  4. not less in fact than in the fancy of Mrs. Radcliffe   ここは説明不要かもしれませんが、直前の部分からの続きです。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

とてもわかりやすいです! ありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• この英文の構造について教えてください。

バートランド・ラッセルの「The Conquest of Happiness」からの英文です。 They found themselves in the presence of something which awoke in them that sense of reverence which nothing else claimed, and something to which they felt, even in the very depths of their being, that an unquestioning loyalty was due. 彼らは、彼らの中に呼び起こした何かの存在の中に、他に値するものが何もない尊敬の意味、そして絶対的な忠誠が当然払われるものであると、彼らの存在のまさに深みの中でさえ、彼らが感じた何かに、気がついた。 と訳してみましたが、全体の構造がよくわかりません。 They(S) found(V) themselves in the presence of something (which) awoke in them が最初にあって、 以下はthat節でしょうか? (that) sense of reverence (which) nothing else claime, and something to( which) they felt(後半のthatにつながる→) (that) an unquestioning loyalty was due. even in the very depths of their being(挿入句)

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

Command of areas rather than units was also introduced in divisions, with command of regiments devolved to the front battalion commander (Kampftruppenkommandeur), which reduced the chain of command from five to two posts. The value of ground was to be determined by its importance to a defensive position. Where the lay of the land gave the defender a tactical advantage, by which an attacker could be defeated with the minimum of casualties to the defenders, with small-arms fire from dispersed, disguised positions and observed artillery-fire, it was to be fought for by the garrison and local reserves, which would counter-attack to regain any ground lost. The changes were codified in a training manual Grundsätze für die Führung in der Abwehrschlacht (The Conduct of the Defensive Battle in Position Warfare) issued on 1 December 1916, which made infantry sections (Gruppen) rather than the battalion the basic tactical unit.

• 英文の構造についてです

次の文の構造がよく分かりません The diversity is so great that scientists have, until now, succeeded in studying less than one percent of the species living there. The diversity is so great that ⇒副詞節 scientists ⇒S have … succeeded ⇒V in studying less than one percent of the species living there ⇒副詞句 というふうに考えたのですが・・・ 実際はどうなっているのでしょうか? またuntil nowの両方にカンマを付けてこの位置に挿入する用法はどういったものなのでしょうか?

• 英文の構造

In order to explain the process through which class fractions merge into a class actor, through which special interests are arbitrated and synthetised, is that the Amsterdam School has developed the term of concepts of control. 上記英文の構造をお教え下さい。

• 英文の構造と邦訳

Rather than issue each participant a separate proxy to vote its shares, DTC drafts a single proxy (the "omnibus proxy") granting to each of the multiple participants listed in the proxy the right to vote the number of shares attributed to it in the omnibus proxy. 上記英文の構造が分りません。お訳しと併せてご指導宜しくお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳

The SEC, in particular, is notorious for refusing to define the scope of its rules and instead issuing "menacing releases" which "hint[ ] that the laws and rules may proscribe much more than they appear to." 上記英文中の,特に,"menacing releases" の意味をお教え下さい。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の構造について

バートランド・ラッセルの「THE PROBLEMS OF PHILOSOPHY」からの英文です。 In daily life, we assume as certain many things which, on a closer scrutiny, are found to be so full of apparent contradictions that only a great amount of thought enable us to know what it is that we really may believe. この文の構造は we assume ・・・私たちは決めてかかる(当然のことと思う)。that以下の事を。(that only a great amount ~)でしょうか? 日常の生活の中で、 私たちはより詳細な調査によって、 はっきりとした矛盾で溢れていることが見出される一定のたくさんのものとして 私たちはもっぱら山ほどの考えによって、 私たちが本当に信じるだろうということは、何であるかということを知ることができる、 ということを決めてかかっている。 と訳してみたのですが。。。(意味がよくとれていません) as, only ,mayの訳し方がよくわかりませんでした。

• 英文の構造を説明してください

(1) The common factor in ritual behaviors is that the elaborate way how an action is performed is as important as, or more important than, the action itself. (2) The most common cause of malnutrition is economic deprivation, due to which inadequate quantities of calories or protein are consumed. (3) Not until a property has been formally deemed essential to the public good can it be taken by the government under eminent domain laws.

• 英文を訳して下さい。

In putting down the strike, von Tessmar was ruthlessly efficient, but he was not required to resort to the executions that he had threatened. Within nine days, the strike was defeated and the leaders arrested. The two ringleaders were then sentenced by German court-martial in Trier to ten years imprisonment, to the disgust of the government. The continued refusal of the German authorities to respect the Luxembourgish government, and the humiliating manner in which the strike was put down by German military muscle rather than the Luxembourgish gendarmerie, were too much for Thorn. On 19 June 1917, the government resigned.

• 英文の構造を教えて下さい

英文契約の勉強をしていたのですが、下記文章の構造(と意味)が わかりません。 Each party shall use the same degree of care to protect the other party’s confidential information as it uses to protect its own confidential information of like nature, but in no circumstances less than reasonable care. 不明な箇所は、4点です。 (1)asの使い方。  次に it uses ~ と続いているので、接続詞なのでしょうが、 訳し方が解りません。 (2)like natureの訳し方。  like は、「~のように」の前置詞かと思いますが、 natureの訳が解りません。辞書も調べてみましたが、 この文脈に合う訳語がわかりませんでした。 (3)butがつなぐもの。  等位接続詞のbutは、何と何をつないでいるのでしょうか? 後続の"in ~ care"に相当するのは、その前に出ている 何とつないでいるのかが不明です。 (4)no circumstances less than reasonable careの訳とニュアンス。  no A less than B の構文なので、A=B(Aを高く評価)と考えた のですが、適切な訳(とニュアンス)が浮かびません。 たった、これだけの文章ですが、かなり手こずっています。 お知恵の拝借をお願いします。