英文の意味と文法についての疑問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 初学者が英文を読んでいる中で疑問に思った文法の使い方について質問です。
  • 「He put up the ladder up.」と「The fireman put a ladder up.」の違いを教えてください。
  • 英文の意味も教えていただけると嬉しいです。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の意味を教えては下さいませんでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、 Wilma climed up the tree. She couldn't get the cat. Wilma couidn't get down. Wilma’s dad was cross. He put up the ladder up. Wilma climed down. Wilma’s dad climed the tree. He couldn't get the cat. Wilma’s dad was stuck. The cat jumped down. The fireman put a ladder up. という英文が有りました。 いまいちよく分らないのですが、 なぜ上から5番目の文では「He put up the ladder up.」と 「a」を使わず「the」を使っているのに、 最後の文では「The fireman put a ladder up.」を、「the」ではなく「a」を使っているのでしょうか? どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • qualheart
  • ベストアンサー率41% (1451/3486)
回答No.1

He put up the ladder up. のladderは、ウィルマの父親の梯子であることがはっきりしているので「the」になっているのだと思います。 一方、The fireman put a ladder up.は あくまで消防士が持っていたいくつもある中のひとつの梯子(もしくは消防車の梯子)だったのでしょう。だから「a」なのだと思います。 ご参考まで。

jiqimao80
質問者

お礼

丁寧かつ詳細なご説明、ありがとうございます。 成る程、このような意味だったのですね。 謎がすっかり解けました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• どのような意味でしょうか

A few years ago, we got a dog. Our next-door neighbor made it clear he didn't like "ugly" fences, so we put up a smaller, aesthetically pleasing fence. The neighbor's trees prevented us from placing it on the actual property line, so he gained a foot or so. he gained a foot or soはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文で困ってます

英文の訳で、わからない部分が出てきたので、よろしくお願いします。 The best-selling book, the Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong, contains the observation that while jobs get more difficult the higher up any ladder you climb, most peole have a more or less fixed level of talent that corresponds to their intelligence and energy. Consequently, at some point most personnel will get a promotion to a job they can't quite handle. の、 the observation that while jobs get more difficult the higher up any ladder you climb,の、any ladderという(you climbの)目的語に当たる部分は、the+比較級にあたる部分higher upと一緒になって、you climbの前に来たのでしょうか? ここが分からなくて、困ってます。どなたか、文法的に易しくご説明願いませんか。 どうぞ、よろしくお願いします。

• この英文は何を言いたいのですか?

以下の文ですが、老人は孤独だから、女よりも話し相手が欲しいのだ、と言いたいのですか? それが老人の知恵だと言いたいのでしょうか? どうも、何を言いたいのか、よく分かりません。外国のメル友が送ってくれました。メル友にとってはimpressiveな内容なんだろうと思います。 解説的に説明して頂けませんか。宜しくお願いします。 Here's a guy in his 70's who loves to fish. He was sitting in his boat the other day when he heard a voice say, 'Pick me up.' He looked around and couldn't see anyone. He thought he was dreaming when he heard the voice say again,'Pick me up.' He looked in the water and there, floating on the top, was a frog. The man said, 'Are you talking to me?' The frog said, 'Yes, I'm talking to you. Pick me up, then kiss me; and I'll turn into the most beautiful woman you have ever seen. I'll make sure that all your friends are envious and jealous, because I will be your bride!' The man looked at the frog for a short time, reached over, picked it up carefully and placed it in his shirt pocket. The frog said, 'What, are you nuts? Didn't you hear what I said? I said, "Kiss me, and I will be your beautiful bride."' He opened his pocket, looked at the frog and said, 'Nah. At my age, I'd rather have a talking frog.' With age comes wisdom.

• you might get cutの意味?

英語のお笑いで聞いた英文です。 He erect it. He is a master at erecting tent. She looked down there and amazed. He couldn't control himself and said "Watch out for this rusty nail, you might get cut." Watch out for this rusty nail, you might get cutの意味について質問です。 「怪我するといけないから、この錆びた釘には気をつけてね。」の意味で良いのでしょうか? 教えてください。

• 下の英文の"we were it"?

どのように訳されますか? He always without fail, went out with the most beautiful woman around. We couldn't understand it. We thought we were it but we couldn't get the girls.

• アウディのCMに使われている曲

2010年4月現在、車のAudi A3のテレビコマーシャルに使われているあれはなんという曲名でしょうか? 歌詞を聞き取れる範囲で書き出しますと・・・ Now old Mr. Johnson has a trouble of his own He has a yellow cat who wouldn't leave his home He tried and he tried to give the cat away He gave it to a man going far far away But the cat came back the very next day The cat came back He thought he was a guardian(←でもここたぶんguardianじゃない・・ガーナーみたいな感じに聞こえる単語です・・・ But the cat came back He just couldn't stay away すごくキュートな曲だと思ったので気になって仕方がありません。 あともしこの曲を歌っているアーティスト名をご存知の方がいましたら教えて下さい。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英文のなぞなぞです

Here is a magician. He says he can get on his foot on a roller coaster which goes up and down a loop with nothing to bind him to the coaster. One says,"A liar." But he really does it.How? どう答えれば良いのでしょうか?

• You couldn't fault it の意味

教えていただきたいことがあります。 1:ホテルなどを褒めた後で、You couldn't fault it. と言う場合、どういう意味になるのでしょうか? 例えば、The hotel was fantastic. You couldn't fault it 等です。 意味を教えてください。 2;また、There wasn't room to lay down a towel. の意味なのですが、 タオルを敷くスペースもないほど狭い部屋だった、という意味になるのですか? 文法も意味も全く分からないので、教えていただけると大変助かります。 よろしくおねがいします。

• 英語 訳してください

お願いします。 Floppy's the HERO A fire engine went by. there was a fire. everyone ran to see. 'Get back,' said a fireman. A barn was on fire. A little dog ran to the barn. She barked and barked. Floppy ran to the barn. He jumped in the window. 'Get Floppy,' said Chip. The firemen pushed the door down. Floppy ran out. He had some puppies. Everyone looked at Froppy. 'What a good dog!' everyone said. What a hero!

• 英文の意味を教えては下さいませんでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、 kipper sent up to the man. He gave the man a sweet. ‟What is that thing?” he said. ‟You lock people up in it,” said the man. ‟You can't lock people in that,” said kipper. ‟You can't get them in” ‟Oh yes you can ” said the man. ‟Look” という英文に出くわしました。上から6番目の、 ‟Oh yes you can ”の意味がよくわかりません。 なぜ、相手が‟You can't get them in” と言っているのに、 それを受けて‟Oh yes you can ”と答えているのでしょうか。 どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。