• ベストアンサー

Good Fellas の中での"gimmies"とは?(その2)

アメリカンギャングムービー(?)、Good Fellasの中では多くのbad slangが使われていますが、ギャング達がトラックの積荷を横流しする場面で、 "Almost all of them were gimmies. They just gave it up, no problem." というナレーションが入ります。日本語字幕では 「面白いほど簡単にブツが手に入った。」 となっています。このgimmie(s)についても、どなたか教えてくれるとうれしいです。サウンド的には"give me"に近いですよね。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

アメリカに35年ほど住んでいる者です。 私なりに説明しますね。 これは、"give-me", つまり、「くれ」のgive meから転じた名詞で、働いて得るのではなく、何もしないで得ること、すなわち、簡単なこと、と言うgimmeというスラングが出来上がったのですね。 これは、形容詞として使われる事もあります。寄付金を要求する手紙などもこの単語を使いI got another gimme letter today!! とか、今の日本の子供たちは自分で苦労して得ようとしない、本当に、gimme societyだ、と言う具合ですね。 また、ゴルフでも、パットなんかではいらなくとも、「マ、いいや、入った事にしよう」なんて言う言う時にも、That's a gimme! と言う言い方もしますね。 スラングですが、悪いとか、使わないようにしよう、とかいうレベルではありません。 これでいいでしょうか。 分からない点がありましたら、補足質問してください。

loungecats
質問者

お礼

先回に続いて大変ありがとうございました。本当にわかりやすい解説で感服しています。 確かにスラングは、使っていいかどうかという明確な判断基準が自分にはありませんので、辞書にoffensive等と書いてあると、「お、これはまずいぞ。」なんて思う程度です。 また次回も(きっとすぐありますから)よろしくお願いします。いつの日にかお返しができることを夢見て。

その他の回答 (1)

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

参考URLをご覧ください。この辞書では"gimme”というつづりになっていますが、同じものだと思います。「簡単・楽勝」というような意味のようです。

参考URL:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=97594&dict=CALD
loungecats
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。このサイトは知りませんでした。素晴らしく使いやすい辞書ですね。本当に感激です。

関連するQ&A

• Good Fellas の中での"fence jumper"とは?

アメリカンギャングムービー(?)、Good Fellasの中では多くのbad slangが使われていますが、地元のレストランオーナーが元締めに苦情を言うシーンで、英語字幕では"I'm no fence jumper."となっていて、私の耳には"You don't know fence jumper around(?) all my life"と聴こえる部分があります。このfence jumperが調べられません。日本語字幕では「あんたが頼りだ。」です。私が調べられる範囲でのオンラインスラング辞書には出てきませんでした。Yahoo Americaでは、もちろん語句そのものは出てきますが、その意味が取れません。 どなたか教えていただけるととてもうれしいです。 ちょっと質問の要点とは異なりますが、DVDでの英語字幕はどうして完全一致に書かないんでしょうか?

• 正しい翻訳を教えてください

There was no way I was going to give them a good time for that, because it showed no sense of individuality or understanding of what we were doing. これを2つの機械翻訳で訳したら全然違うものになりました。 正しい翻訳を教えてください。 ① 個性感や私たちのやっていることへの理解がなかったので、彼らに楽しい時間を与えるつもりはありませんでした。 ② 個性が感じられず、自分たちのやっていることを理解していないのだから、そんなことでいい加減なことを言っても仕方がない。

• 英文法の問題を教えてください

各分の( )内の指示に従って書き換えた場合、選択肢のどれになるか選びなさい。 1.I gave her what little money I had with me.(youを主語にして直接目的語をwhにした疑問文に) ア)Do you gave her what? イ)Did you gave her what little money I had with me? ウ)What little money I had with me did you give her? エ)What did you give her? 2.【Somebody】 hit Dr.Johnson in yhe head several times.(受動態にして【】を尋ねるwh疑問文に) ア)Did who hit Dr.Johnson in the head several times? イ)Who was hit Dr.Johnson in the head several times? ウ)Dr.Johnson was hit who in thw hwad several times? エ)By whom was Dr.Johnson hit in the head several times? 3.You must show your ID card to them.(命令文に) ア)Must you show your ID card to them. イ)Show your ID card to them. ウ)Do your ID card to them. エ)Must your ID card to them. 4.The problem and the anawer are very simple.(howを用いた感嘆文に) ア)How simple are the problem and the answer! イ)How simple the problem and the answer are! ウ)How are the problem and the answer simple! エ)How the problem and the answer are simple! 5.She is a dramatic actress.(whatを用いた感嘆文に) ア)What a dramatic actress she is! イ)What is she a dramatic actress! ウ)Is she what a dramatic actress! エ)She is what a dramatic actress! 以上です。よろしくおねがいします。

• goat week の意味をお願いします。

Almost all of the top executives simply wouldn't believe it. When they were shown the evidence that the criteria had been met, they basically said, "These trainees don't have the experience. They lack the seasoning necessary to give them the kind of judgment we want them to have as assistant branch managers." "We went through goat week; how come these guys don't have to?" あるビジネス書の一部なのですが この文の "goat week" とは何ですか? よろしくお願いします。 以下は全文です。 As with many paradigm shifts, there was resistance. Almost all of the top executives simply wouldn't believe it. When they were shown the evidence that the criteria had been met, they basically said, "These trainees don't have the experience. They lack the seasoning necessary to give them the kind of judgment we want them to have as assistant branch managers." In talking with them later, we found that what many of them were really saying was, "We went through goat week; how come these guys don't have to?" But of course they couldn't put it that way. "They lack seasoning" was a much more acceptable expres- sion.

• inの使い方を教えて下さい。

ツーリストという映画の中でアンジェリーナ・ジョリーがレストランでヤヌスの神様のアクセサリーの話をするシーンの英文を拾ってみました。 最後の一文で使われているinの用法が解りません。 "in someone we love" これは"誰かを愛する時"という訳で字幕が付いていたのですが、 whenみたいな使い方ができるということなのでしょうか?また、bothの使い方もboth of themとかにしなくて良いのでしょうか? 文法的にどのような解釈になるのか教えて下さい。 Elise: It's the um...the Roman god, Janus. My mother gave it to me when I was little. She wanted to teach me that people have two sides. A good side, a bad side, a past, a future. And that we must embrace both in someone we love. And I tried. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [訳] ローマの神様ヤヌスよ。 母が小さい頃にくれたの。 私に人には2つの顔が有ると教えようとしたの。 良い面、悪い面、過去、未来 人を愛する時には両方を受け入れなければならないの。 そして、そうしてみたの。

• 英文の翻訳

On the TV there were costume serials in which good samurai remained apparently unaware of bad samurai creeping up behaind to kill them. 侍の連続番組を見たとき、良い侍を殺すために悪役の侍が背後から忍び寄っていた。 Themの示すもの=good samurai but who turned at the last moment and did for them with one colossal blow of the sword. One of the series was about a blind samurai a kind of medieval Ironside. 次の瞬間、彼は振り返り、刀で巨大な風を起こして敵に応戦しました。 シリーズひとつは、古い盲目の剣豪ものでした。 Whoの先行詞=samurai 上記の訳があっているかどうか、チェックしてください。お願いします。

• 英文の翻訳お願いします。

先日、頼んでないブーツがアメリカよりとどきました。その事についてのメールだと思います。 大変でも翻訳おねがいします。 No.1 It came to our attention about a month ago that we shipped a pair of Redwing boots that were not supposed to go to you. Here is where they were sent: No.2 I emailed Yosinori about this on 2/25 and have not heard back from him. At that time I was not aware that they were your orders. Please let me know if you or he has those boots, if you would like to keep them we will give you a good deal on them. Or we can send you a return label to get them back. Here are the specs of the boot:

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

自由英作文の添削をお願いします。 テーマ:Many medical students become frustrated that the basic memory skills that allowed them to pass the entrance exam have not prepare them for the increased pace of university study. Indeed, doctors need to be highly motivated, self-directed learners to keep up with the ever-increasing changes in medical knowledge. Describe how you could be a good medical student and what your priorities will be. Detail three of your good points and three bad points clearly. 条件:3パラグラフ構成以上、150字以上、序論・本論・結論が明確であること。   It is often said that many medical students become frustrated because they have to memorize various kinds of things about human body to keep up with university study. In case with me, one of my bad points is that when cannot understand the things, I am unable to go next step until I understand them. In addition to this bad point, I also think almost all things so deep. For example, I always worry about that whether my opinions or actions hurt my friends or not. Moreover, my third bad point is that I often care about people around me too much. My sister usually told me not to take care of her so often. However, I think these bad points are also my good points. When I cannot understand something, I ask my friends or teachers how to solve the problem. This action makes our relationships better. Next, my worrying about everything and tending to take care of people around me mean I have abilities to imagine other people’s feelings and to try to help people who are in trouble. This will motivate me to become a good doctor. Although I have bad points, everyone also has them. The important thing is not that you do not have bad points, but that you have the ability to change your bad points to good points. This is needed to become a good medical student.(238words) 自分の良い点悪い点について具体例を3つずつ、ということなのですが、 どういうふうに羅列したらよいか悩みました。 いい点と悪い点を一対一対応にして書くべきなのかとも考えましたが、 3つの悪い点→全部良い点へと変換しました。 先日期待と不安の添削をしていただいたときに不安→期待の方がよいというアドバイスを頂いたことを参考にしてみました。 序論も結論も弱い気がしますがボキャブラリーや結び付け方がへただなぁと・・・ 本番まであと1週間なのでかなり焦っています(´;ω;`) よろしくお願いします

• こんにちは。少しでも英語に触れたく、英国住まいのポーランド人の女性と英

こんにちは。少しでも英語に触れたく、英国住まいのポーランド人の女性と英語でメールしておりますが、私の英語力が低いため、意味がよく理解できない文面がありました。どうかお時間のあるときにでも、助けていただけましたら幸いです。 I gave my notice on Saturday as well, it wasn't very nice experience, but I had to do it, as I am going away for maybe 7 months. This company was quite good, but as all companies like to take but do not give anything in exchange. It is very sad, but actually I am leaving very disappointed with my comapny were I was working for past 3 years. この文面から「I gave my notice」とは、どのような通知を(会社?)に渡したのか解りません。 「but as all companies like to take but do not give anything in exchange.」とは、会社が何を取り、交換(?)しないと言っているのでしょうか? 彼女がなぜ会社に失望(がっかり?)し、悲しいのかよく理解できずにいます。 どうかよろしくお願いいたします。

• もう一度お願いします!!

訳がどうしても知りたいです!! 単語の意味は辞書を引けば分かりますが、言っていることがよくわかりません。 どなたか分かりやすく説明していただけないでしょうか。 お願いいたします.... American mothers, warning their children to eat what they were supposed to eat, would order the children to do so or tell them that they ought to eat it because it was good for them. Japanese mothers would ask their children a question,such as "How do you think it makes the man who grew these vegetables for you to eat feel when you reject them?"Thus very early age American children are told what to do. while Japanese chiledren are encouraged not only to consider other persons'feelings but also to control themselves as a result of their own considerations.