• ベストアンサー

添削おねがいします。

Besides,these easy early wins do not come close to encompassing the broad sweep of policy that the wider world wants the new broom to change. その上、この簡単で素早い勝利は幅広い政策の見直しを危うく含むものではない。世界中の人々は政策を変える新しいほうきを求めている。 上のように訳したのですが、かなり自身がありません。 添削してくださると大変うれしいです。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.2

はじめまして。 だいたいできている和訳ですが、注意点は以下の通りです。 1.Besides,: (1)文頭にありコンマがあることから、「副詞」として用いられていることがわかります。 (2)副詞のBesidesは「他に」→「その上」「さらに」という添加の意味になります。 2.these easy early wins: (1)主文の主語になります。 (2)easyは前後文脈がないと具体的にはわかりませんが、「簡単な」「容易な」「気軽な」といったニュアンスで使われていると思われます。 (3)winが複数形になっていることから、何度か勝利をしたのか、複数の人の複数の勝利を指しているのかは、この英文だけでは判断できかねます。 (4)この部分の訳は (直訳)「こうした、簡単な初期の勝利は」 →(意訳)「このように初期に安易に勝利することは」 となります。 3.do not come close to: (1)close toは「~に近い」という意味の副詞句です。 (2)come close toで「~の近くに来る」→「~に近づく」という意味になります。 4.encompassing the broad sweep of policy: (1)encompassing は動名詞で、close toの前置詞toにかかっています。 (2)encompassはここではaccomplishに近く、「成し遂げる」という意味で使われています。 (3)sweepにはいろいろな意味がありますが、ここでは「範囲」という意味で使われています。 訳出の流れは、 (直訳)「広範囲の政策を成し遂げる」 →(意訳)「広範囲にわたる政策を実施する」 となります。 5.that~change: (1)このthatは関係代名詞で先行詞は、the broad sweep of policyになります。 (2)want+(人)+to不定詞で「人に~して欲しい」となります。 (3)the new broomは New brooms sweep clean 「新任者は改革に熱心なものだ」 という諺からきたもので、「改革者」の意味で使われています。 この改革者が誰を指すかは、この英文だけでは判断できません。 (4)change「~を変える」という他動詞の意味で使われていますが、目的語がありません。この目的語がthe broad sweep of policyで、先行詞して前置されているのです。 (5)この関係詞節は長いので、関係詞thatを非制限用法のように扱い、付加的に説明を後から加えるような訳し方にする方が、きれいな訳に仕上がります。 6.以上を踏まえて全訳例は (直訳)「その上、これらの簡単な初期の勝利は、より広い世界が新しい改革者に変えてほしいと思っている広範囲の政策を、成し遂げることに近づく、ことにはならない」 「さらに、このように初期段階で簡単に勝利したからとって、広範囲にわたる政策の実施に一歩近づいたことにはならない。それは世界中が新しい改革者に望んでいることではあるのだが。」 ぐらいになります。 以上ご参考までに。

codling
質問者

お礼

知らない表現も詳しく解説してくださって分かりやすかったです。ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• NooGarde
  • ベストアンサー率28% (75/260)
回答No.1

Besides,そのうえ 主語these “easy” early winこういった安易なそして早期の成功は 述部do not come close to近づくことにはならないのだ encompassing the broad sweep of policyつまり幅広い範囲の政策を包括、網羅することには(近づくことにはならない) 関係詞that the wider world wants the new broom to change.その政策とは、ヨーロッパ、イスラム諸国等、広範囲の世界が、新しいアメリカ大統領(the new broom)に変えて欲しいと思っている政策である。 で意味がつながると思います。

codling
質問者

お礼

とてもわかりやすいです。参考にさせていただきます。

関連するQ&A

• 添削をお願いします

It seems like such an appeal was one of the cause of won. Moreover, according to the result of the presidential election of 2016, it can be said that Donald Trump won the election because they supported to change policy by Trump than Hillary Clinton's policy to succeed the Obama administration. 日本語= 「このような訴えが勝利した要因の一つのように思える。また、2016年の大統領選挙の結果より、オバマ政権を継承するクリントン氏の政策よりも変化が望まれ、トランプ氏が今回の選挙を制したとも言えるだろう。」 Moreover以降がかなりごちゃごちゃかと思います。 この日本語をもとに英文を作りましたが、英語で言いやすいように少し変えています。 他に適切な表現・間違っている文法などあれば教えて欲しいです。

• 教訓(moral)について教えて下さい!

英語の授業で寓話のパロディを読みました。そこに4つの教訓(moral)が書いてあってそれについて考察しなければならないのですが、いまいち良く分かりません。。。些細な事で構いませんので教えて下さい。 (1)A new broom may sweep clean, but never trust an old saw. えっと、まずこれって直訳すると「新しいほうきは良く掃けるがことわざ(old saw)を信じてはいけない」で合ってますか? これは簡単に説明すると、兎とカメの話を読んだカメが「自分も勝てる」と思って兎に挑戦して負けた。って話なんです。。。 この教訓は、ある英語のことわざがもととなっているらしいのですが、どんなことわざか分かりますか?? (2)It is not so easy to fool little girls nowadays as it used to be. これは「かつてと違って、近頃の少女を騙すのはそうそう簡単ではない。」で合ってますか? (3)Youth will be served, frequently stuffed with chestnuts. (4)It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all. 最後の2つは・・・。訳して下さい・・・(^^;

• 英文の邦訳の添削を願います。

49In addition, the guidelines state that “participants take aspects relating to environmental and social policy and to governance into account in their policies on the exercise of their shareholder rights, which may include entering into dialogue with listed companies and other engagement activities.” 上記英文の下記の試訳の添削をお願い致します。 「その上,ガイドラインは,「参加団体は,環境的および社会的な政策,および彼らの株主としての権利の行使に関する彼らの政策を説明するガバナンスに関連する,上場会社との対話およびその他の交渉活動の開始を含む場合もあるような様相を帯びる」と正式に述べている。」 以上,宜しくお願い致します。

• 教えて下さい!以下の英文は合っていますか?

教えて下さい!以下の英文は合っていますか? (1)『政府はマルチリンガル政策を推し進めている』 →The government has promoted the multilingual policy. (2)『彼は外国語習得において高い意識を持っている』 →He has high level of awareness of learning foreign languages. (3)『ヨーロッパ人にとって英語は学びやすい』 →It's easy to learn English for the European. (Learning English is easy for the European.) ※これは、 the Europeanでいいのか、ただEuropeanだけでいいのか、それとも複数形でthe Europeans(Europeans)にするのか教えて下さい。

• 構文把握 教えてください。

強調構文の考え方です。It is~thatと言う文章でこれらを省略しても文章が成り立っているのなら強調構文である。と書いてありました。 It is a fact that he wants to know.→a fact he wants to know→He wants to know a fact.となり、たとえば、It is a fact that he has won the game.は同じようにやるとa factの役割が不明になり、前とは違って成り立たない。よってこれは強調構文ではない。ここまでは理解できます。 しかしこの考え方が次の文章では分かりません。この文章ではどうやって上のような考え方を当てはめればいいのでしょうか。 It is not the fact virtue wins out at the end which promotes morality ,but that the hero is the most attractive to the child,who identifies with the hero in all his struggles. よろしくお願いします。

• "VOA"の記事に関して添削をお願いします。

こんにちは、 "voice of america"からの質問です。 今回は、新しい記事に関してです。 前回と同じように、できるだけ訳してみますので間違っているところ(考え方)をどんどん訂正してください。 よろしくお願いします。 記事の題名 : "Bush Sending More Troops to Afghanistan" By Scott Stearns White House 09 September 2008 "While the enemy in Iraq is still dangerous, we have seized the offensive, and Iraq forces are becoming increasingly capable of leading and winning the fight. As a result, we have been able to carry out a policy of "return on success" - reducing American combat forces in Iraq as conditions on the ground continue to improve" という英文に関してです。 最初の文は、 "敵国イラクは、まだ危険であるが、我々は、その攻撃態勢を制圧している。そして、イラクの力(軍事力)はますます、戦いを引き起こし、勝利するまでになろうとしている。" と訳したのですが、ここで、 "seize"はここでは、「制圧する」という意味でいいのでしょうか? 英英辞書を調べてみると、「to take control of a place suddenly and quickly, using military force」 と書いてあり、「制圧する」というより、「制御する」のほうがいいのかな?と思ったりもしています。 また、第2文に関して、 "we have been able to carry out a policy of "returen on success" の部分は 「我々は、"成功の報復"という政策を実行してきた」 と訳したのですが、なんだか、前の文と意味がつながりません。 さらに "reducing American combat forces in Iraq as conditions on the ground continue to improve" の部分は、" "the ground"を"アメリカが制圧する土地"と訳して、 「アメリカが制圧する土地が増え続けるという条件で、イラクにおけるアメリカ戦闘部隊を減少させる。」 としましたが、いかがでしょうか? 何とか、内容を理解しようと思ったのですが、あまり理解できませんでした。 今回も、どうかよろしくお願いします。

• (261)To her he spoke ……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA261 To her he spoke disdainfully: 'Miserable thing, why do you cry out? One far stronger than you now holds you fast, and you must go wherever I take you, songstress as you are. And if I please I will make my meal of you, or let you go. He is a fool who tries to withstand the stronger, for he does not get the mastery and suffers pain besides his shame.' 試し訳 彼女(サヨナキドリ)に対して、彼(タカ)は軽蔑して言った。   どうしてお前は泣きわめくのだ。 お前より遥かに強い者がお前をしっかり捕まえているのだ。 お前は女の歌い手だけれども as songstress you are (お前は)俺が連れて行く所なら、どこへでも行かねばならぬ、 そして、もし、俺が気の済むようにするとすれば、;And if I please 俺はお前を料理するか、   I will make my meal of you    あるいは、お前を逃す(二つに一つだ)。  or let you go より強い者に逆らおうとする者は馬鹿ものだ。He is a fool who tries to withstand the stronger だって、そいつは勝利を得ていないし、 恥をかいた上に、苦悩に悩まされるからだ。and suffers pain besides his shame 質問 (1)songstress as you areについて   asの解釈には、原因・理由のas、及び、譲歩のas;だけれども ―がある    この場合、<女の歌い手>だけれども、無理やり連れてゆくと思われる。 (2)And if I please;もし、気の済むようにするとすれば (3)I will make my meal of youについて    俺はお前から成る(材料)俺の食事を作る。     →俺は、お前を料理する(だろう)。 「食っちまう」でどうか。 (4)I will make my meal of you, or let you go. 「あるいは、お前を逃すかだ」でもよいが、「……二つに一つだ」と訳せるで     しょうか。    (5)He is a fool who tries to withstand the strongerについて     タカの話は終わっていないから、Heはタカのことではない。    He=a fool=who tries to……と思われる。    「彼は強者に逆らおうとする馬鹿ものだ」→「逆らおうとする者は馬鹿者だ」 (6)and suffers pain besides his shameについて   「恥をかいた上に、痛みに苦しむ」; suffer(V)+pain(N)だから、    主語;He(a fool)が略されている。 以上のような解釈で正しいでしょうか。

• Jefferson Begins #36 質問03

この文章はVOAの一節です。 学習を目的に、訳してみました。 間違いを指摘して頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願いします。 www.manythings.org/voa/history <= Back [ Program 36 ] Next => George Cabot, the strongest Federalist leader in New England, usually agreed with Hamilton. But now, he did not. Cabot said, "I believe that our new president wants to stay out of war. ジョージ・カボット、ニューイングランドの最強の連邦党指導者は、常々、ハミルトンに同調した。しかし、今や、彼はそうではなかった。「私は、我 々の新しい大統領は戦争をしたくないのだと思う」とカボットは云った。(話続く) *to stay out of war戦争をしたくない? We do not have to worry any longer that he plans to join France against England. He is friendly to us and wants our help. Therefore, I am sure that he will not dismiss any of our people from their government positions." 我々は、彼が、イギリスに対抗して、フランスと提携する計画を立てる ことを、最早心配すべきではない。彼は我々と友好的であり、我々の手助けを必要とする。だから、私は、彼らの政治的立場から、我々人民の誰にも、背くきはないと確信する」 *will not dismiss any of our people 意味が? Another Federalist leader -- Timothy Pickering -- the secretary of state under President Adams, said: "I am satisfied that Jefferson will not make any important changes in government policy, and that he will depend for support more on us Federalists than on the Democrats." 他の連邦党指導者- -ティモシィ・ピッカーリング- -アダムズ大統領の時の国務長官は、「私は、ジェファーソンが政府の政策において、いかなる重要な変更もせず、共和党よりも、さらに多く、我々連邦党に支援を頼るだろう。それに満足だ」と語った。

• 添削の添削お願いします。

(1)I get nervous whenever I talk to native speakers. (2)The company is located in Nagoya where is known for TOYOTA. と、友達にメールしたところ、 (1)I'm still finding it difficult when I talk to native speakers. (2)The company is located in Nagoya which is known for TOYOTA. と添削されて帰ってきました。 (1)この僕の文章は間違っているのでしょうか?あるいは、文法的には合っているが、口語ではあまり使われない表現なのでしょうか? (2)whereとwhichとthatの使い方が分かっていたと思っていたら添削されたのでショックですし、理解出来ず、余計分からなくなってしまいました。分かりやすい使い分け方ありますでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• 英語の問題について

古い英文学なのですが、この物語の中の父親の人物像について、どのようなものだと書かれていますか? 書かれている部分とその意味を教えてください。 Father made a great point of our getting down to breakfast on time. I meant to be prompt, but it never occurred to me that I had better try to be early. My idea was to slide into the room at the last moment. Consequently, I often was late. My brothers were often late, too, with the exception of George. He was the only thoroughly reliable son Father had. George got down so early, Father pointed out to me, that he even had time to practise a few minutes on the piano. The reason George was so prompt was that he was in a hurry to see the sporting page before Father got hold of the newspaper, and the reason he then played the piano was to signal to the rest of us, as we dressed, which team had won yesterday’s ball game. He had made up a code for this purpose, and we leaned over the banisters, pulling on our stockings and shoes, to hear him announce the results. I don’t remember now what the titles were of the airs he selected, but the general idea was that if he played a gay, lively air it meant that the Giants had won, and when the strains of a dirge or lament floated up to us, it meant that Pop Anson had beaten them. As Father didn’t approve of professional baseball, we said nothing to him about this arrangement. He led his life and we led ours, under his nose. He took the newspaper away from George the moment he entered the room, and George said good morning to him and stepped innocently into the parlour. Then, while Father watched him through the broad doorway and looked over the political headlines, George banged out the baseball news for us on the piano. Father used to admonish him with a chuckle not to thump it so hard, but George felt that he had to. We were at the top of the house, and he wanted to be sure that we’d hear him even if we were brushing our teeth. George always was thorough about things. He not only thumped the piano as hard as he could but he hammered out the tune over and over besides, while Father impatiently muttered to himself, “Trop de zèle.” Upstairs, there was usually some discussion as to what kind of news George was sending. He had not been allowed to learn popular tunes, which it would have been easy for us to recognize, and the few classic selections which were available in his little music-book sounded pretty much alike at a distance. George rendered these with plenty of goodwill and muscle but not a great deal of sympathy. He regarded some of the rules of piano-playing as needlessly complicated. The fact remained that he was the one boy who was always on time, and Father was so pleased by this that he bought a watch for him with “George Parmly Day, Always on Time” engraved on the back. He told me that as I was the eldest he had meant to give me a watch first, and he showed me the one he had bought for me. It was just like George’s except that nothing had been engraved on it yet. Father explained that to his regret he would have to put it away for a while, until I had earned it by getting down early to breakfast. Time went on, without much improvement on my part. Dawdling had got to be a habit with me. Sometimes my lateness was serious. One morning, when breakfast was half over and I had nothing on but a pair of long woollen drawers, Father called up from the front hall, napkin in hand, that he wouldn’t stand it and that I was to come down that instant. When I shouted indignantly that I wasn’t dressed yet, he said he didn’t care. “Come down just as you are, confound it!” he roared. I was tempted to take him at his word, but thought there might be some catch in it and wouldn’t, though I hurried, of course, all I could. Father ate his usual hearty breakfast in a stormy mood, and I ate my usual hearty breakfast in a guilty and nervous one. Come what might, we always ate heartily. I sometimes wished afterward that I hadn’t, but it never seemed to hurt Father.