• ベストアンサー

ネイティブに聞いても分かりませんでした。。。

以下の質問をネイティブに聞いたところ、分からないとのことでした。 It rained practically all day. I think "practically" in this sentence means "almost." I know it. but I DO NOT know why "practically" means "almost." I think this word comes from "practice", which means custom, exercise, profession, action and so on. And I can't imagine at all how in the world the meaning of "almost" derived from it. Could you tell me if possible? I welcome ANY guesses from any native English speakers in the world. I ain't a native... (回答) This is an example where words take on popular meaning that cannot be explained etymologically. You're right; it's a native speaker thing. You just have to accept it, and congratulate yourself that you figured it out! Your example was excellent. "Practically" is an adverb that can (and usually) means "almost." A -- "I worked all weekend but made almost no money." B -- "Really?" A -- "Yeah. Practically nothing." You will also find that we use "virtually" in place of "almost." Hope that helps! (質問1) どなたか、お詳しい方、この単語の語源を教えていただけますか。 (質問2) 私は、最近単語の語源に興味あります。もし大学(院)で学ぶとしたら、どの大学の何先生がこの分野で権威なのですか? 質問はどちらか、答えられたらそれで良いです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#122289
noname#122289
回答No.2

>(質問1) Practical、practically、practiseはギリシャ語のpraktikos(ビジネスに関するとか実務のといった意味)に由来します。「実際の物事の運用上の」といった意味合いはもともとあったわけです。 問題は語源にあるのではなく、なぜその単語が"almost"の代用として使われるのかということですね。 結論から言うと、"almost"も"practically"も働きとしては"all"と断定するのを避けて"all"の意味の強さを弱める役割をしています。 (要するに私は、No.1の回答者様の『Perfectではないけど』という表現と同じことが言いたいのです) 文字通りに「一日じゅう」一秒たりとも止むことなく降り続いていたわけではなく、そういえばランチタイムにレストランにいたとき窓の外を見たら薄日が差していたけどまた店を出る頃には降りだしていた、とかそんな事実はあったのかもしれないけれど、実際問題として外を移動するときはいつも傘が必要だったとかそのような一日だったのでしょう。 本来同義語ではない組み合わせですが、文脈によって似通った意味合いを与えられたと考えるのが自然です。 >(質問2) 英語の語源学というのは英語学の一分野です。日本でこの分野について一般読者や英語学習者向けに著書を出している有名な先生はおられますが、研究書レベルで日本語で読める文献は少ないですよ。 いますぐどこの大学というのは思い浮かばないのですが、英語の語源に興味があるなら学部での目標としては、一般言語学や英語史の知識を身に付け、英語の成立と関係の深い周辺の言語(フランス語、オランダ語などゲルマン系諸言語、ラテン語、ギリシャ語等)も学ぶというコースはどうでしょうか。 条件を満たすところは少ないと思います。 志す人の少ない分野へ進むには大学へ行っても結局必要なのは「独学力」ですよ。

その他の回答 (2)

• ismael
  • ベストアンサー率33% (228/687)
回答No.3

語源学を学ばれるにあたり是非下記urlをご覧になって下さい。 言語学の一部には「語源には触れるな」というタブーもあります。

参考URL:
http://www.toyama-cmt.ac.jp/~kanagawa/gogen.html
syoshioka99
質問者

補足

ありがとうございました。 参考URLに飛べないのですが。。。

回答No.1

Gです。 私なりに書いてみますね。  しかし私も語源の意味合いなしに使われる単語はたくさんあると思います。 これもその一つですね。 ということでなぜこの単語がAlmostと言うフィーリングで使われるのか書いてみます。 Practiceすれば「使えるもの」になりますね(一応そう言うことになっていますが私はトレーナーとして異論がありますがここでは書くのをやめておきます)。 使えるものになる、と言う事は、使えないものから使えるものになる、と言う実践的変化を意味しますね。 ですから、この単語から来たPracticalは実践的、実践的に充分使えるもの、そして、Perfectではないけど、と言うフィーリングを持つときもあります。 このPerfectではないけど、とのフィーリングが、このpractly rained all dayと言う表現につながるのです。 つまり、almostと意味合いを直接持つのではなく、allday rainedと「言っても良いほど」と言うフィーリングになるわけです。 そして、その「そういっても良いほど」と言うフィーリングから他の単語を使うと、almost, nearly, just about, そして、you may sayと言う表現が代用として使えるわけです。 回答になっていませんね。 参考程度に、また、ヒントにもなるのではないかと思います。 これでいかがでしょうか。 分かりにくい点がありましたら、補足質問してください。 

関連するQ&A

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

I care so much about you I care about you more than I can say. And that caring and that feeling have a meaning that is more precious and more special to me than I can explain. But let me try to tell you this... Stying ''I care'' means that I will always do everything I can to understand. It means that I will never hurt you. It means that you can trust me. It means that you can tell me. What's wrong. It means that I will try to fix what I can,that I will listen When you need me to hear,and that ~even in your most difficult moment ~all you have to do is say tha word,and your hand and my hand will not be apart. It means that whenever you speak to me,whether words are spoken through a smile or theouge a tear... I will listen with my heart. I do care about you... In a very special wey. メッセージカードの柄としてあったので気になりました。お願いします

• 訳してください!

Kazuki is such a pretty name :) I don't know the meaning of my name, otherwise I would tell you :P Haha don't apologize! "First of all" means the first thing that comes before everything else. In this case, it is like saying, "tell me this first" or "firstly"

• 何と書いてあるのでしょうか?

この文は、いったいなんですか?  なんて書いてあるのか知りたいのですが、教えてください。  It is ... to a thing reading this message.  I think that you who watch this are lucky. ... that ... this world does not have light than the person whom I do not take little it  ... that a person does not have a smile  It is you who watch this that hope saves few ... this world in living everything.  Value all the ... you living things which must not die, and ... you that ... you who will walk fate same as the present people if I neglect this message must not break a law of a country are ... till the day comes.  Leader / viki from the future 

• ネイティブの英語。訳せる方。

これらの文がややこしくてうまく、訳せません。 訳せる方、お願いします。 ちなみに相手はネイティブアメリカンです。 (1)Not with how you've been acting lately. (2)Is this too much to deal with? (3)You were handling things amazing for a long time. But lately you have been acting weird. It's not just me that matters. If you aren't happy with this than you need to tell me. (4)If you aren't happy with being in a long distance relationship. If it is too much to handle. (5)Yes I'm happy to be with you.It's just the last couple of days you don't really talk a lot and then today when I can't talk.

• 和訳のお願いです。

意味論についての論文だと思いますが、和訳お願いいたします。自分でも訳してみましたが、読み返して見て分かりづらいため、和訳が上手な方の文章を参考にしたいと思います。よろしくお願いいたします。 (1)Whereas smoke is a natural sign of fire, causally connected with what it signifies, the red flag is a conventional sign of danger: it is a culturally established symbol. These distinctions between the intentional and the nonintentional, on the one hand, and between what is natural and what is conventional, or symbolic, on the other, play a central part in the theoretical investigation of meaning. (2)That the verb 'mean' is being employed in different senses in the examples that I have used so far is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous: it can be taken like Mary means well or like Smoke means fire. Indeed, with a little imagination it is possible to devise a context, or scenario, in which the verb 'mean' in Mary means trouble can be plausibly interpreted in the way that it would normally be interpreted in That red flag means danger. Most language-utterances, we shall see, depend for their interpretation upon the context in which they are used. And the vast majority of them have a wider range of meanings than first come to mind. Utterances containing the word 'meaning' (or the verb 'mean') are no different from other English utterances in this respect.

• この英語を日本語へ翻訳お願いします。

なんとなくは分かるのですが、知らない単語があり的確に訳せません...。 お力添えお願いします。 don't think that way .... i understand your situation . i know how it feet to be in that type of situation . here is something to make you feel better . don't worry i still think that you are a wonderful person and thank you! for be in honest .... i respect you ... now think about this " ( That me think that you are the best person in the world and is happy for the way you are! ) " and only think about it all day so you feel better

• なんと説明したら良いでしょうか?

下記の文なのですがなんと説明したら良いでしょうか? 英語でお願いします! それで、彼女はとてもさびしく思っています means "and she misses them very much." But I don't understand this part " さびしく思っています" I know that " さびし" means lonely and I guess that "思って" is wonder(?). But there is a KU in that and anyway... could you explain this to me? よろしくお願いしますm(._.)m!

• 英語の例文は原文のままでいいのでしょうか?(翻訳)

以下の英文を翻訳するとき、(1)の"the red flag is a conventional sign of danger"や(2)の"Mary means trouble","Mary means well","Smoke means fire"等の例文として挙げている文は原文のままでいいのでしょうか? また、その例文の箇所に""(ダブルクオーテーション)等つけた方がいいのでしょうか?お時間があれば以下の英文を翻訳していただけないでしょうか?よろしくお願いいたします。 (1)Whereas smoke is a natural sign of fire, causally connected with what it signifies, the red flag is a conventional sign of danger: it is a culturally established symbol. These distinctions between the intentional and the nonintentional, on the one hand, and between what is natural and what is conventional, or symbolic, on the other, play a central part in the theoretical investigation of meaning. (2)That the verb 'mean' is being employed in different senses in the examples that I have used so far is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous: it can be taken like Mary means well or like Smoke means fire. Indeed, with a little imagination it is possible to devise a context, or scenario, in which the verb 'mean' in Mary means trouble can be plausibly interpreted in the way that it would normally be interpreted in That red flag means danger. Most language-utterances, we shall see, depend for their interpretation upon the context in which they are used. And the vast majority of them have a wider range of meanings than first come to mind. Utterances containing the word 'meaning' (or the verb 'mean') are no different from other English utterances in this respect.

• アメリカと日本で国際遠距離恋愛をしてます。しかし、私はそれほど英語が堪

アメリカと日本で国際遠距離恋愛をしてます。しかし、私はそれほど英語が堪能ではありません。彼からこのようなメッセージをもらったのですが,,,翻訳していただきたいです。 よろしくお願いします。 1) When you realize what you want in life... Why does it have to get away from you. i miss you. 2) I swear that the moment i can see you again in not going to let go for a very long time. Ugh!! this long distance stuff is just not all that great... I miss you like crazy and i cant wait to hear from you again. Your always on my mind and to be honest im crazy about you.

• 和訳、間違ってる所直してください

Still plan to visit 12gatsu, I wish it was sooner まだ12月に滞在する予定は、早ければって望んだけど (I wish の望みとIt wasの過去で早ければよかったという後悔になりますか?) ・・・・・・・・・・・ This means that YOU are interesting, but I'm sure you meant to say that you are INTERESTED in ENGLISH AND FINNISH. この意味というのはあなたはおもしろい、しかし、あなたが言う英語とフィンランド語を面白いという意味は私はわかっているよ。 So You should say "...but I am interested (in those languages). Hope that helped だからあなたはいわないといけない、しかしわたしは興味があるの(あれらの言語)助けたよ お願いします