Language Erects as Many Barriers as Bridges

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Language erects barriers and bridges
  • Language reinforces cultural differences
  • Language can destroy as much as it creates
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

高校英語です。和訳お願いします!

下の文を和訳お願いします。 Language erects as many barriers as bridges. There is a deep-rooted tendency to dislike, to distrust, and to regard as inferior individuals or groups speaking a language different from one's own just as one considers the monkey a lower animal because it has no language at all. Culture now is transmitted largely by language; the greater the language difference, the greater the cultural distance. More powerful groups will often attempt to force their languages on those they conquer. This not only awakens hatred among the conquered but also tends to weaken their native culture long before they can achieve any real understanding of the culture being imposed upon them. Possibly, thern, language has destroyed as much culture as it has produced.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

言葉は、橋と同様多くの障壁を建てる。  ちょうど猿が全く言語を持たないから低級な動物だと思うように、違った言葉を話す集団は、嫌い、疑い、低級な個人とか集団とみなす根深い傾向がある。  今では、文化はほとんど言語によって伝えられ、言葉の差が大きければ大きいほど文化の違いも大きい。  力がより強い集団(すなわち征服者)は、被征服者に自分たちの言語を押し付ける場合が少なくない。  これは被征服者のあいだに(征服者に対する)嫌悪感を起こさせるばかりでなく、征服者の文化が真に理解されるはるか前に原文明を弱めてしまう傾向がある。  したがって、言語が文化を生み出したと同じだけ、言語が文化を破壊したと言える可能性がある。 

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

強者の言語は弱者の文化を破壊する。(大意;17字)

関連するQ&A

• 和訳

和訳例をお願い致します。  Latin became an international language throughout the Roman Empire, but this was not because the Romans were more numerous than the people they conquered. They were simply more powerful. Later, when Roman military power declined, Latin remained for a millennium as the international language of education, (A) a different sort of powerーthe religious power of Roman Catholicism.  There is also the closest of links between language dominance and economic, technological, and cultural power. (B) a strong power-base, no language can make progress as an lnternational medium of communication. Language has no independent existence, living in some sort of mystical space apart from the people who speak it. When they succeed on the international stage, their language succeeds. When they fail, their language fails.  This point may seem obvious, but it need to be made, (C) over the years many popular and misleading beliefs have grown up about why a language should become internationally successful. It is quite common to hear people claim that an internationl language is an ideal model, on account of its literary qualities and clarity of expression. Hebrew, Greek,Latin, Arabic and French are among those which at various times have been praised in such terms, and English is no exception. It is often suggested, for example, that there must be something beautiful or logical about the structure of English itself, in order to explain why it is now so widely used. “It has less grammer than other languages,” some have suggested. This is intended to mean that the language is grammatically not so complicated compared with other languages, so it must be easier to learn.  Such arguments are wrong. Latin was once a major international language, (D) it seems grammatically much more complicated. A language does not become a global language because of its structural properties, or because of the size of its vocabulary, or because it was once associated with a great culture or religion. A language has traditionally become an international language for one chief reason: the power of its peopleーespecially their political and military power. 【設問】 (A) 1in spite of 2thanks to 3instead of 4at the expense of (B) 1With 2Without 3Because of 4As a result of (C),(D) 1so 2though 3because 4as a result スペルミス等があれば、ご指摘お願いします。

• 長文 和訳

こないだテストでだされたんですが和訳した回答を配ってくれませんでした。。。自分の訳があっているか知りたいのでだいたいで良いので和訳できる人がいたらよろしくお願いします。。。 You may wonder why Hawaiians are so eager to maintain their native language. I think the answer is that language is more than just a means of exchanging information. We see the world around us through the window of our language. It enables us to share the history and culture of our people, and so it helps us find our identity. If we lose our language, we lose something of ourselves. Imagine that English has taken the place of the Japanese language here in Japan. What happens to your culture and identity? English is useful for communication in many parts of the world, but your mother tongue is an important part of your identity. In Japan ,too,there is a minority language, just as in Hawaii. The Ainu people have lose much of their language and culture. Today, they are trying to revive their traditions. In this class we are going to study English of course, but I want you to remember that your mother tongue is the most important language in the world. Mahalo for listening. 以上なんですが長文なのでかなり長いです。。。  これでも回答してくれる方お願いいたします。

• 和訳してくださいm(_ _)m4

Nearly 500 languages vantshed in the 20th century in Africa and South America, and it is not only languages in developing nations that are at risk. Languages like Danish,Welsh, and Dutch are undoubtedly under threat, and the cultures of these countries and their unique world views may be lost. If all Danish people switch to English, then they will increasingly become unable to read and understand the books that have contributed to their culture and identity. This trend has been called cultural imperialism by those who view this development negatively. There have been other dominant languages in the past: Ancient Greek, Sanskrit, Latin, and others. What the have in common is that today no one speaks them as a living language. However their influene on our modern cultures is indisputable. Although Latin "died, " it evolved into Spanish,French,ltalian, Portuguese,and heavily influenced English. よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 英語の和訳をお願いします。

Not only had the Normans disciplined the English people and welded them into a nation, they had also, directly or in-directly, given form and cohesion to their arts: a classical symmetry to their architecture, formal conventions to their painting and sculpture, measure to their music, and now metre and rhyme to their poetry. It was a beneficial discipline, but once it had been thoroughly learned, the time had come for variations on the conventions, for experiment, a greater natu-ralism, a freer, though still ordered, romanticism.

• 高校英語の和訳教えてください

The English weather has also helped to make the Englishman adaptable. It has been said that one of the reasons why the English colonized so much of the world was that, whatever the weather conditions they met abroad, they had already experienced someting like them at home! よろしくお願いします!

• 和訳をお願いします(@_@;)

For a long time many people thought that learning to read was like learning to understand a spoken language- that it was a netural process. For example, it was thought that most children would learn to read naturally if they were in an environment with lots of books and were allowed to develop reading skills in their own way. The idea that reading is a natural process is quite common among educators, but actually learning to read is as difficult as learning to juggle while riding a unicycle backwards. The truth is that learning to read is one of the most unnatural things anyone can do. 長くなって申し訳ありませんが、上の英文の和訳を教えてください(>_<)

• 和訳教えてください。

When you vacation, do you go as a tourist or as a travelar? I dare say that most people have never asked themselves this question. But for me, there is a definite distinction between the two. When one considers travel as a possible means of bridging cultural gaps in our shrinking global village, the nuances behind these words become important. In my opinion (based on years of observing visitors to my adopted home, Paris), tourists are more likely to maintain a distance between themselves and the places that they visit. Their purpose in traveling is to "see the sights", take photos and have their photos taken in front of famous sights. They often travel in tour groups, which offer the advantage of obtaining cursory information about the sights visited, but also have the disadvantage of discouraging individual discovery. In contrast, travelers interact much more with the people and places found at their travel destinations. They enjoy not only the main sights, but also the back streets and hidden neighborhoods in and around their destinations. They seek out the things that distinguish the places visited from their home territory. They observe the local culture and inhabitants, and seek to understand them. And in the process,they share information about their own culture. When I moved to France, I did so as a traveler. Not only was I determined to learn about the various peoples who live there, why they came and how they live, but I also made up my mind to visit other countries with the same perspective. As a result, my voyages have been much fuller and richer, and my understanding and appreciation of my own American culture has deepened. よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の和訳

1Christians believed in one God, a God whose laws were to be obeyed by the sun and stars as well as by men. 2There are a lot of Japanese who do not feel comfortable about taking time off while their fellow workers have to continue working. 3“To make the difference” is an expression that always has a positive meaning in English. If a man tells his wife, for example, that marrying her has made all the difference, he's saying that he's very happy he married her. 例えば…の例が分かりませんでした。 4In our dreams we all aspire to be, do and have great things. Yet most of us simply aren't creating the results we want. What we need to understand is that greatness exists in all of us, but it is up to us to put it out of ourselves. It is true that we all have genius. We just need to learn how to apply our genius. 1行目とWhat~が良く分かりません。

• 高校英語の和訳教えてください

高校英語の和訳教えてください Scientfic method, simple as it is in essence, has been acquired only with great difficulty. It consists in observing such facts as will enable the observer to discover general laws governing facts of the kind in question. よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします。

But as one Japanese reporter for an English language newspaper points out, the exposure to more than one language and culture probably makes one more willing and able to understand a foreign country, wherever that may be. makes以降の文の訳がわからないので、その辺りの少し詳しい解説も付けていただけると嬉しいです。よろしくお願いします。