My dad's veiled threats: Should I rethink the engagement?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • My fiancé and I just got engaged, but my dad's jokes are causing tension. He made veiled threats of violence if my fiancé doesn't take care of me properly.
  • My fiancé is considering legal action against my father for the threats. I love my fiancé, but I'm starting to reconsider our engagement.
  • Should I ask my fiancé to lighten up or hope my dad understands and is more sensitive? The tension is making me question our future together.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

My fiancé and I just got engaged and are to be married as soon as he graduates from law school. My dad, who has a sense of humor most (but not all) people appreciate, took him on a weekend hunting trip, and according to my intended, made a number of veiled threats of violent acts should he fail to take care of me properly. Of course he tells me he was only joking and it was all in good fun, but that’s not the way my boyfriend sees it. He tells me he has grounds for a case against my father, and although he’s definitely not taking any action, he might in the future if dad doesn’t control himself. I love my fiancé, but I’m starting to rethink our engagement. Should I just tell him to lighten up, or hope that my dad understands and is more accommodating of his sensitivities? according to my intended, made a number of veiled threats of violent acts should he fail to take care of me properly. の和訳を教えてください。intendedの後に何か省略されているのでしょうか?あと、has grounds for a case against my father,の意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4118/5352)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。according to my intended, made a number of veiled threats of violent acts should he fail to take care of me properly. の和訳を教えてください  「私の目的者(=フィアンセ)によると、彼が私を然るべく扱わない時は、危ない目にあうかも、とそれとない脅迫を(父が)何回もした、そうです」でしょう。  一緒に狩りに出た父親から「君、娘を虐待すると生きて帰らない時があるかもよ、あはは」と猟銃を撫でながら言われればいい気はしないでしょう。 2。intendedの後に何か省略されているのでしょうか?  intended の後に future husband とか fiancé が略されている、とも言えますが、前に fiancé と言っているので反復を避けたとも考えられます。  僕はこれだけでわかると思います。 3。あと、has grounds for a case against my father,の意味も教えてください。  私の父を相手取って訴訟を起こすだけの十分な証拠がある、という意味でしょう。これは法律の勉強をしたものの発言ですから多少の信憑性はあります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

My supervisor rarely states his desires clearly. But if I take the initiative or ask him to clarify, he makes me feel like an idiot. He is condescending and highly critical of most people. He also is a nonstop gossip. He has portrayed me to others as racist, womanizing and incompetent. He has control over my payable time and my vacation requests. He has the ear of management and lives in the same neighborhood as many of my co-workers. has the ear of managementはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My dad (68) and older brother (38) have been in business together for the last 10 years or so, and while business is booming, their relationship took a nosedive within a year or two of opening and has gotten progressively worse. My brother is the hardest working person I know, and he is 99 percent responsible for the success the business has had. He describes my dad as lazy and unmotivated, and they have argument after argument about how little my dad actually works or contributes, all while earning more than everyone else at the company and getting distributions at the end of the year as a part-owner. They signed a contract a couple of years ago that my dad would sell back part of his shares, and then he refused to do so when the time arrived. distributionsとは何のことでしょうか?あと、sell back part of his sharesの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

When my dad passed away several years ago, he left a certificate of deposit to me. When it matured, I went to the bank with my mom because she had a CD that matured at the same time. The CD that Dad left me was a payable-on-death CD, with me as the only beneficiary, and my dad was the individual owner of the CD. When it maturedとはどういうことでしょうか?あと、individual ownerはindividualがあるのとないのとではどう違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• set us up

My sister came out as a lesbian this summer and I came out as bisexual this Thanksgiving to our very moderate middle-class parents. There were tears and talking and more tears, but my parents are ultimately supportive—almost too much so. My father brings up his “gay kids” in everyday conversations to complete strangers. An old high school friend who works as a barista mentioned it to me when my dad comes in for coffee. He says how proud he is of us, but he brings it up all the time! My mom has joined PFLAG and has taken to taking pictures of pretty girls and sending them to my sister and me in an effort to set us up. ここでのset us upはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文を日本語に訳してください。よろしくお願いします

He was fifty years old when I was born, and a "Mr.Mom" long before anyone had a name for it. I didn`t know why he was home instead of Mom, but I was young and the only one of my friends who had their dad around. I considered myself very lucky. He always had my lunch ready for me when I came home - usually a peanut butter sandwich that was shaped for the season. My favorite was at Christmas time. The sandwich would be covered lightly with green sugar and cut in the shape of a tree. As I got a little older and tried to gain my independence, I wanted to move away from those "childish" signs of his love. But he wasn't going to give up. In high school and no longer able to go home for lunch, I began taking my own bag lunch. Dad would get up a little early and make it for me. I never knew what to expect. The outside of the bag might be covered with his drawing of a mountain scene (this became his trademark) or a heart with the words "Dad and Angie" written in the center. Inside there would be a napkin with that same heart or an "I love you." Many times he would write a joke or a riddle. He always had some silly saying to make me smile and let me know that he loved me.

• よろしくお願いします

My mother died 10 years ago. My father, "Lucifer," started dating "Rebecca" within a week of my mom's funeral. After two years, my father informed me that he was going to disinherit my brother and me in favor of "Rebecca" and her three spawn. I begged my father not to do this, and told him he'd never see me or my kids again if he married her and disinherited us. He said he didn't care, and went ahead. Fast-forward to the present. Rebecca has died, and Lucifer is trying to "mend fences." Meanwhile, he admitted to me that he has spent my mother's entire trust on Rebecca and her three spawn, so I am out the money I was supposed to get from my deceased mother after my father died. 1 ここでのspawnはどのような意味でしょうか? 2 entire trustのtrustはどのような意味でしょうか? 3 out the moneyはどのような意味でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My husband has been invited to two separate weddings recently. The first wedding was casual and informal, and the second is a formal and destination affair. I was not invited to either. The first wedding he has already attended without me and only told me he was going to the wedding the morning of. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2017/03/dear_prudence_i_masturbate_with_other_men_do_i_need_to_tell_my_wife.html?via=rubric_recirc_recent The first wedding he has already attended without meのThe first weddingの前にはas forか何かが省略されていると考えて良いでしょうか?あと、he was going to the wedding the morning ofは正しい英語でしょうか?その場合は the morning ofの解説をお願いします。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

DEAR ABBY: My 23-year-old son does not want to work and spends all his time playing video games. He's obsessed with them. He disrespects my house -- and me -- by not cleaning his room. I don't know what to do. He's my son, but he is a user and feels he's entitled to live here. He pays no bills and blows all his money on gaming. He quits every job he has. I love him and kicked him out once, but he got on Facebook and told people what bad parents we are. All he says is he wants to be happy. I think he's out of touch with reality. He has no place to go if I kick him out. What do I do? -- DAD WHO'S HAD IT IN OHIO DEAR DAD: Your son is an adult, even if he doesn't act like one. Give him a deadline to find another place to crash -- perhaps with a roommate -- and be out of there. If he says he has no money, remember that he comes up with money to blow. remember that he comes up with money to blowはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• give this a fair shot

Three months ago, I relocated for my long-distance boyfriend. I left my dream job, my beloved city and great friends, and took a significant pay cut to move to a new city to live with him. When I first made the move, we were incredibly happy to finally be ending our long-distance relationship. Now, things are markedly different. We've been fighting almost daily, and my usually sunny disposition has dimmed dramatically to the point where friends and family are starting to worry about me. The main reason we fight is because of my cats — two adorable, sweet and loving cats I adopted five years ago, long before I met my boyfriend. My boyfriend has never been fond of my cats, but told me he would do his best to get along with them when I moved in with him. He hasn't. His only interaction with them has been to yell at them and chase them into a tiny powder room where we keep their litter box. They've become so scared of him that they hide in a crate to avoid him. To make matters worse, he has a dog that he treats like a king, and expects me to do the same. He now says he doesn't think he can live with cats, and he wants me to send them away to live with my parents. I feel like this is incredibly unfair to me and diminishes the importance of my cats in my life. If the tables were turned, I feel he would absolutely choose his dog over me. Part of me wonders whether this goes beyond just a hatred of cats. Is he simply unwilling to compromise in general, whether it's about cats or anything else? He says that's not the case, and that without the cats, things would be back to normal. I'd love to give this a fair shot since I've already sacrificed so much and it does seem silly to end a 2 ½-year relationship over cats. give this a fair shot はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• comings and goings

My husband and I have been married for 20 years. We've had our share of ups and downs, but always managed to work our way through them. Last year, he decided he no longer wanted to be married, saying the last 20 years were not all that pleasant and we have never really gotten along. (As far as I know, there isn't another woman.) My problem is, for the most part, he still acts like he wants to be married. He has made no attempt to leave, tells me his comings and goings, asks me to have dinner together, etc. tells me his comings and goingsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします