An Unexpected Office Romance

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A few years ago, I got into an office romance that was filled with alcohol, sex, and fun.
  • After six months, I realized that we had nothing in common except for work, sex, and alcohol.
  • Despite not having much in common, we stayed together, had a daughter, and became committed parents.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

A few years ago I got into an office romance. We were both single and in our mid-20s. It was alcohol- soaked and sex-filled and a hell of a lot of fun. About six months into it I realized this woman and I had virtually nothing in common aside from our penchant for work, sex, and booze. Then we found out we were expecting. We're still together (although no longer working in the same office), we have an amazing daughter, and are both loving and committed parents. The problem is that aside from our daughter, we still have next to nothing in common. I wasn't as happy as I could be, but I accepted this. I wasn't as happy as I could beはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

I wasn't as happy as I could beはどのような意味でしょうか?    I was as happy as I could be というと「私は、自分が幸福でありえる極限まで、幸福だった」すなわち「100%幸福だった」です。  I wasn't as happy as I could beは、その打ち消しで「私は自分が幸福でありえる極限まで幸福ではなかった」すなわち「私はもっと幸福になれた」わけです。  言い換えれば、「彼女との間の共通点は新しく生まれた赤ちゃん以外には何もないので、嬉しくはあるが、最大限に嬉しいわけではない」ということでしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9715/12083)
回答No.1

>I wasn't as happy as I could beはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒「考えられるほどに幸福ではなかった」。 直訳的には、《なろうと思えばなれたであろうほどには幸福ではなかった》といったニュアンスだと思います。 ☆「素晴らしい娘がいることを除いて、私たち(職場結婚した夫婦)には何も共通点のないことが問題で、《考えられる・期待できるほどに幸福ではなかった》が、私はこれを受け入れた」、といった文脈ですね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• everの役割

My family moved to our city during Christmas break of the fifth grade. Though my future wife and I lived within a mile of each other and could both walk to school, we had no classes together and never met. In junior high, we rode different school buses and shared no classes together. In high school, the 10th and 11th grades brought no classes together, and still we never crossed paths. Our senior year, in preparation of college, we both took typing. That's the one class we ever shared. ever sharedのeverはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• ニュアンスの違いについて

ある参考書で勉強してこの問題だけ調べられませんでした。 2・3言で結構なのでどなたか解説してください。 問い 各組の違いを述べよ。 (1)We wondered if...   We were wondering if... (4)In this warm weather we are having all our meals in the garden.  We have aii meals in the garden. (9)I smell the perfume.  I am smelling the perfume. (16)I hereby announce the forthcoming wedding of my daughter.  He announced the forthcoming wedding of his daughter. (20)I'll drive into London next week.  I'll be driving into London next week.

• よろしくお願いします

My husband was married briefly in his early 20s, and the divorce was amicable. We are now in our early 40s and dealing with both elderly parents, downsizing, and a disabled child. When my husband’s ex asked if she could stay in our house while looking for real estate, we both happily agreed. downsizingとは何のことでしょうか?あと、real estateは「住まい」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• この歌詞の意味 みなさんが訳すとどうなりますか?

歌詞を添付するのはダメかもしれないですが・・ この曲の和訳を見ると・・・・となっていましたが イマイチ意味がわかりません 人により意味が微妙に変わってくるかと思うのですがドンナ意味か教えてください。真剣に考えています。 よろしくお願いいたします。 それと・・・もう1つ この曲は 結婚する相手の事を想って歌ったうたですか? それとも結婚できないが大事な友達へ向けて送った歌ですか・・? What would you think if I told you I've always wanted to hold you I don't know what we're afraid of Nothing would change if we made love So I'll be your friend And I'll be your lover 'Cause I know in our hearts we agree We don't have to be one or the other Oh, no, we could be both to each other Yes, it's a chance that we're taking And somebody's heart may be breaking Ooh, but we can't stop what's inside us Our love for each other will guide us So I'll be your friend And I'll be your lover 'Cause I know in our hearts we agree We don't have to be one or the other I've been through you You've been through me Sometimes a friend is The hardest to see We always know when It's laid on the line Nobody else is as easy to find So I'll be your friend And I'll be your lover Yes, I'll be your friend And I'll be your lover 'Cause I know in our hearts we agree We don't have to be one or the other Oh, no, we could be both to each other

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。商品サイズなど詳細がわかりにくかったのでモデルさんが持った写真はありませんか?と質問をしたら返事がきました。すみませんが意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 And I believe both of my colleague Ruxandra and me sent you quite a lot new styles recently. Unfortunately, we do not have model images for our AAA production. But we can help our customers to take model photos when they place order with us. Please find the attachment as examples. In the following future, I will keep you updated and send you our new styles once we developed. So you could place order in advance and we can provide you model images. Thank you.

• 和訳お願いします!高校英語です。

またもや脳構造の話ですが、 訳の確認をしたいのでよろしくお願いします!!! As we use what the scociologist Daniel Bell has called our " intellectual technologies" ――the tools that extend our mental rather than our physical capasities ――we inevitably begin to take on the qualities of those technologies. The mechanical clock , which came into common use in the 14th century , provides a compelling example. In Technics and Civilization, the historian and cultural critic Lewis Mumford described how the clock " disassociated time from human events and helped create the belief in an independent world of mathematically measurable sequences." The " abstract framework of divided time " because " the point of reference for both action and thought."

• 英文の添削お願いします!!

文法的におかしなところや、スペース、ここは大文字(小文字)だってところなど、チェックをお願いします!!(ひとかたまりが1文です)間違いなさそうだったら、OKだと入れてくださるのも非常に助かります!! (1)If I could reach the stars,I would take one for you, and it would shine in your heart forever like my love. (2)Do you remember? The way you hold me. You looked into my eyes and said ‘I love you'. You caressed and said nothing. But it meant more than the chance to hold me and kiss my sweet lips. (3)I'll stand by you forever. (4)Love may be sometimes hard to show. But I love you more than you could ever know. (5)My love for you is as endless as the universe. (6)Our friendship,love,and life together begins today. (7)Our new story begins now with all blessings. We roll up one page. (8)Summer,the fresh air,the fregrant breeze and the flowers under our feet. The blanket of stars is above us. We dream in it … (9)We have love to blind us. We have laughter to unwind us. Because we have fate to find each other. (10)We exchange an eternal promise and bigin to walk. (11)I pledge my self to love,respect and sincerity. (12)I love you from the bottom of my heart. I may not always show it but I do love you.

• coherent

However, recently we both finished uni for the summer and have been forced to spend time apart, and when we both came back to the city we study in to celebrate his graduation, we went on a night out. I ended up still coherent, but pretty drunk, and when we came back to my student house, I (as he put it) threw myself at him. http://community.sparknotes.com/2015/08/12/auntie-sparknotes-i-was-all-over-my-boyfriend-while-drunk-but-im-scared-of-sex-when-im-sober I ended up still coherentとthrew myself at himの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

I have been dating an amazing man for the past six months. We are still at the “sleeping over several times a week” stage. We are absolutely incapable of sharing a bed and getting enough sleep. We have sex and cuddle a while, then he slips off to my guest room and sleeps there for the night. He says my bed is too soft. When I stay at his place, I think his bed is too hard. Our sleep styles are wildly different, and we’re both in our mid-30s and a bit set in our ways. He burritos himself in the bedclothes; I insist that the sheets must be tucked in order for me to feel secure. burritos himselfとtucked inの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 以下の英文の解釈をお願いします。

以下に英文(大幅に省略しているので文章の繋がりは読めないです、スミマセン)と、それに対する疑問点を書かせていただきます。よろしくお願いいたします。 It is a beneficial thought that we were once children.(省略) We try to behave not as we want to behave, nor even as we think we ought to behave, but as we think others expect us to behave. So we enter into a world of pretence and deception, deceiving others and perhaps ourselves as well, and being deceived by them in turn. So we are placed under a continual strain.(省略) After all, it isn't so easy to act the part of someone else, according to what we imagine others may be expecting of us, especially when that expectation may change from day to day. As for all this strain, I hardly need add how harmful it must be to our health. (省略) Pretending we are still children is just as bad as pretending we are other adults than ourselves.(省略) All pretence is positeively harmful, if only by putting us under a strain and so impairing our health. At the same time, we must recognize there's still something of the child left in us. We never grow up in such a way as to leave the past entirely behind us. What we were, in a deep sense, we still are: and it is important for our health and peace of mind to admit the fact. 2(5)文目で"we think(imagine)"という挿入がなされている所が上手く訳出できませんでした。3文目の"in turn"は「騙し、その次には騙される」という感じで訳したのですがどうでしょうか?10文目で"such a way as to~"に関してこれは"so as to~"的に訳せばいいのでしょうか?11文目は":"の前の部分の構造がまったくわかりませんでした。