Dealing with Dislike in a Masculine Position of Authority

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn how to handle personal dislike and pushback in a traditionally masculine position of authority
  • Discover strategies for maintaining a professional demeanor in the face of personal attacks
  • Understand the challenges faced by young women in positions of authority and how to navigate them
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

authority

I’m an officer on a boat in the tourism industry. I love my job and value guests who come back year after year. Some have been spending their vacations with us for longer than I’ve been alive, and treasure our boat and business. One of these guests, however, took a strong and immediate dislike to me last year. I’ll call them “Chris.” I’m already dreading the week Chris will spend with us this year—last year, they spent the entire time insulting me to other passengers and crew members behind my back, snapping at me to my face, and at one point cornering me and haranguing me about my personal shortcomings. Not professional shortcomings, mind; Chris admitted that I’m good at my job, but had a problem with my upbeat, easygoing demeanor. Because I am a young woman in a traditionally masculine position of authority, I get pushback like this fairly often but never with such personal dislike attached. masculine position of authorityの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

#1です。補足です。  今読み直して気づきましたが、a traditionally masculine position of authority と切るべきで、伝統的には男性がなってきた権力のある地位、と読むと楽です。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

masculine position of authorityの意味を教えてください。  男性的権威地位 > 今までは男しか成れないと考えらてきた権力のある地位、  国でいえば大統領、軍隊で言えば司令官、船でいえば船長、法曹界では最高裁判所長官、みたいな、今までは男に限られると思われてきた職業、などでしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

I am in my mid-40s and was briefly married in my 20s. It was a nightmare that I vowed never to repeat. I am physically fit, have a good job, and own my own place, but I have no interest in chasing women outside my age. I want companionship and someone to enjoy the finer things in life with, but the women I meet don’t take me at my word. My last two relationships, representing a year each, were with women who agreed with me at the onset and changed their minds later. 1 outside my ageとはどうことでしょうか? 2 finer thingsは英語での説明はあったのですが、日本語にすると何でしょうか? 3 representing a year eachはどのような意味でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• until 7 most nights

I am a stay-at-home mom with a 2-year-old toddler. My husband has a 13-year-old son with his ex. We have a restraining order against her after she threatened me while I was pregnant. Right now, my stepson lives with us full time and only has supervised visits with his mother. He used to be a sweet, shy kid, but now I am afraid of him. My stepson has anger issues and is 6 inches taller than me. He has cursed at me, broken plates, and left holes in walls. I don’t trust him near my daughter. My husband is trying, but he can’t be home until 7 most nights. until 7 most nightsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I tried again. I put out my foot and made a wild jerking stab with the chalk which produced a very crooked line and nothing more. Mother held the slate steady for me."Try again, Chris," she whispered in my ear. "Again." I did. I stiffened my body and put my left foot out again, for the third time. I drew one side of the letter. I drew half the other side. Then the stick of chalk broke end I was left with a stump. I wanted to fling it away and give up. Then I felt my mother's hand on my shoulder. I tried once more. Out went my foot. I shook, I sweated and strained my muscle. But-I drew it-the letter "A". There it was on the floor before me. Shaky, with awkward, wobbly sides and a very uneven center line. But it was the letter "A." I looked up. I saw my mothers face for a moment, tears on her cheeks. Then my father stooped and hoisted me onto his shoulder. That one letter, scrawled on the floor with a broken bit of yellow chalk gripped between my toes, was my road to a new world, my key to mental freedom.

• 全く解らなくて困ってます。どなたかお力を貸して下さい。

全く解らなくて困ってます。どなたかお力を貸して下さい。 What a sympathetic stranger!Shortly after I came to Japan, I caught a cold.Being sick made me also feel a little homesick and I snuffled sadly as I made my way down the stairs and out of a station near my apartment.Then I saw a hand push some tissues at me. Why,how very nice of a perfect stranger to understand just what I needed! I lifted my eyes to smile at the kind person...and realized that everyone was getting tissues,not just me.What was going on? As I found out,advertising almost anything throuh free tissues is common in Japan.Icaught many colds my first year and with my cold that day,and the cold after that,and the cold after that,I was quite happy with all the tissues I received for free.

• 意味を教えてください

(同じ大学にに嫌な奴がいるという文脈) He reached out to me with the notion that “we should catch up” because I was “one of the most genuine and caring people he knew.” This fucked with my head, and I immediately fell back into freshman-year me — I got blackout drunk, talked to him at a party, and I can’t remember what I said to him. We haven’t spoken since. Cue the intense regret, anxiety, and self-loathing. fucked with my headとここでのCue の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

My mother came in from the pantry with a steaming pot in her hand. She stopped midway between the table and the fire, feeling the tension flowing through the room. She followed their stare and saw me in the corner. Her eyes looked from my face down to my foot, with the chalk gripped between my toes. She put down the pot. Then she crossed over to me and knelt down beside me, as she had done so many times before. "I'll show you what to do with it, Chris," she said, very slowly and in a queer, choked way, her face flushed as if with some inner excitement. Taking another piece of chalk from Mona, she hesitated, then very deliberately drew, on the floor in front of me, the single letter "A." "Copy that," she said, looking steadily at me. "Copy it, Chris." I couldn't.

• どうなっているのでしょうか

I'm having an affair with my doctor. He presented himself as a single guy who "did not want to commit." Later, I discovered he was married, but I continued to see him. A year passed, and I realized he'd started another relationship besides those with his wife and me. besides those with his wife and meのところは構造的にどうなっているのでしょうか?意味もよろしくお願いします

• generic

My mother is Latina, and her family came to the U.S. just months before she was born; my father is white. While I used to be close with my father’s sister, “Faye,” last year she picked a fight with me at Thanksgiving while I was having a calm, friendly discussion with another family member—she called me a communist (I’m not) and eventually started chanting “Build a wall” directly in front of my mother and me. Needless to say, we were all offended and left the party early. I haven’t heard from her since, until this week when I received a generic “happy birthday” email from her. generic “happy birthday” emailのgenericは「一般的な」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• この英文におかしいところがあったら教えて下さい。英会話パート2

Pleasu look at this picture. I go to the festival with freinds.We had a yukata on.I wore yukata for the first time this year.How is dressing in yukata? The festival is pieasant.They go to the fireworks,They are my best friends. We keep a dog and cat.The dog is name Hana and the cat is name Mike. I sometime take a walk with these two.However when the summer vacation came I took a walk.These two is my family's members. My parents run coffeehouse.I help the shop durning the summer vacation.I worked as a waiter ask guests and serve cooking and so on. I found the difficulty for the first time. です。

• よろしくお願いします

I have a 1-year-old daughter. On my days off, I like to try to get together with my friend, Stacey, a stay-at-home mom, and her 2-year old daughter and 1-year-old son. About a month ago, I accepted an invitation to her house and took my daughter to play with her children. My daughter had a head-cold—runny nose, occasional cough. I didn’t think it was a big deal since I would still have taken her to day care had it been a day that I was working. had it been a day that I was workingの意味と文法的解説をよろしくお願いします