• ベストアンサー

複数か単数か

University students are having a hard time finding jobs because of the prolonged [protracted] recession. 長引く景気の低迷で、大学生は就職難だ。 finding jobsのところは、得る仕事は大抵1つなのでfinding a jobではないのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4133/5370)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

配分単数・複数でしばしば質問されるところです。 SVC であれば I am a student. We are students. と決まるわけですが、そうでないとどちらの考えもあります。 students が複数なので、一人一つずつでも、job は複数ある。 でも、複数だとまるで、一人でたくさん見つけるみたい。 a job でも、まるで全員でまとめて一つみたい。 まあ、この場合はどちらの可能性も低いですが、 They have a dictionary/dictionaries なんかだとそういう可能性が出てきます。 each を使うなど、あいまい性を排除する書き方もありますが、 言葉というのはえてしてあいまい性はつきものです。 なるべく簡潔に述べようとするので。 でも、英語の考え方としては、students が複数なんだから、 その分、job も複数と考えた方がいいです。 それこそ、逆に、普通一人が一つ、ということは別の判断で自然にわかることなので、この場合、あいまい性は生じません。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 単数、複数についての質問です。

Chrildren today are made to take a path decided by their parents. という英文を見つけました。 ここでa pathになる理由は子供と親が複数でも、子供たちが歩む道、親たちが決める道は一つだから paths じゃなく a path になっているのでしょうか? 同じ理由で Most of students can get a job. とjobs ではなく a job になるのでしょうか? ごく基本的なことだと思いますが、宜しくお願いします。

• 自由英作文の添削をお願いします。

題名:高校が高校生のアルバイトを禁止することに賛成ですか。反対ですか。 I disaree with the idea that high schools prohibit high school students from doing part time job for two reasons. Firstly, high school students should get used to work. It is because some new employees tend to quit their jobs quickly that their jobs are not what they expected firstly. Solving this problem high school should admit the students to do part time job to make them understood what the work is. Secondly, we should make the students require the way of making better use of their time through part time jobs. It is because they don't know that and waste their times.They should strike a balance between their part time jobs and their studies.It enables the students to get the way of better use of the time naturally. With these reasons I mentioned above, I disagree with the idea that high schools prohibit high school students from doing part time job. 訳:私は高校が高校生にアルバイトを禁止することに以下の二つの理由から反対です。 一つ目は、高校生は仕事になれるべきであるからである。なぜなら、いくらかの新卒採用の社員が、自分が当初思っていたものと違っていたという理由ですぐに仕事を辞めているからである。なので高校は高校生に仕事とは何かをわからせるために彼らがアルバイトをすることをみとめるべきだ。 二つ目は生徒達にアルバイトをすることを通して時間の有効活用の方法を習得させるためである。 なぜなら彼らはその方法を知らずに、時間を無駄にしているからである。彼らはアルバイトと勉強の両立させるべきだ。それらの両立は生徒達に時間の有効活用の方法を自然と習得させることにつながる。 以上の理由から、私は高校が高校生にアルバイトを禁止するというアイディアに反対します。

• 一般的な人を表すyouについて

一般的な人を表すyouについて、今までずっと単数扱いだと思いこんできました。ところが、最近、ある本で、一般的な人を表すyouは聞き手を含む一般の人々を表すと書いてありました。又。辞書などの表記でもそういう種類の書き方が目につきます。まるで、複数だと言わんばかりです。Weによる代用が可能だと書いてあるものもあります。 どなたか教えて頂けるとありがたいです。  例えば、You should take good care of your parents. におけるyouは単数でしょうか複数でしょうか。 このことは、例えば、You can't necessarily get a good job even if you graduate from a first-rate university. ---において、もし、youが単数扱いなら、a good jobをgood jobsと書きにくいと言うことになります。 よろしくお願いします。

• 翻訳してください。

次の文を翻訳してください! Cash-strapped New Zealand students killing rats in exchange for beer University students in New Zealand are bringing dead rats to local university bar in exchange for beer. The university of Wellington Science Society Department is running a scheme allowing students the opinion to kill rats - and in return providing them with free alcohol. The university provides the traps to students to help them catch the rats. Once caught, the students can head into the campus pub, The Hunters Lounge and exchange the dead rats for a beer voucher. The killing of rats was initiated by the Science Society as the rats have become a huge problem and affecting NeZealand's indigenous wildlife. They are eating lizards and even climbing trees to eat bird's eggs. They also have a competitive edge over insects such as the Weta, a native New Zealand insect which is finding it very difficult to forage for food with the rats for company.

• 次の英文の翻訳をお願いします。

I don't mind the question Yes, tuition is very high Public schools are cheaper than private schools, though I am currently attending a community college, which is much cheaper than a university credit for my classes at the college will transfer towards a degree at a university Some students do this because of the high cost of tuition at the universities よろしくお願いします。

• 添削してください

こちらの英文を添削して欲しいです。 日本語 「実際、アルバイトをしながら自分の学費を稼ぎつつ、大学に通う学生も少なくはありません。しかし、学費を稼ぐためのアルバイトに没頭するあまり、本業である学業をおろそかにしてしまったり、または毎日を無目的に過ごしてしまい、単位が足りずに留年してしまう。という学生も後を絶たないのもまた事実。」 英語 In fact, not a few students go to University while work in part-time job to get money to go to there. However, also in fact, many students is never-ending repeat a year enough credits to graduate because they concentrate to work too much, or spend every day without specific purpose to be neglect the schoolwork that is a student’s job. この日本語通りに訳しているわけではなく、英語で言いやすい表現などあれば少し変えている部分もあるかもしれません。 日本語の内容が大体伝わればいいかな、というような感じです。 こちらの英文の文法や表現が間違っていないか添削して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 添削お願いします。

TOEFLのwritingの勉強用に英文を書いたのですが自分では採点できないので添削してください。 Q People attend university or college for many different reasons. Why do you think people attend college or university. A Most of my friends say `I attend university to graduate." So, I think people attend university to graduate. There are several reasons why I believe my friends are majority. First, to graduate university you have to get enough credits and nowadays the number of teachers who never give students credit without attendance is increasing. For example, one of my friend did very well on test but he could not get the credit because he rarely attend the class. Second, to get good job and high salary it is necessary for students to graduate university. If you want to become high-ranking official, you must graduate from university.There is a big difference between who graduate university and who did not on salary. This is decided by law so even if you have high ability, but did not graduate university you can not get high salary.

• 英語の勉強をしていて。

英語の勉強をしていて。 英文を読んでいて、どう解釈すればいいのか、悩んでます。 with the economy bogged down in a recession and the unemployment rate higher than it's been in decades, many new graduates are finding their job searches are longer and more difficult than they'd expected. 最初のwith はなんですか?分詞構文ですか? なぜ、ここに分詞構文が?  and if and when they do find work,the jobs may come with a lower salary,be somewhere far away from family and friends or in a different field than the one they'd planned to enter. こちらの文章では、be somewhere という形式をとっているのはなぜなのか。 なぜ、be をつけているのでしょうか? 詳しい方、よろしくお願い致します。 初歩的で基本的なことだとは思うのですが、自分の中で納得がいかないので、質問させていただきました。

• 大学受験英作文添削お願いいたします 

大学受験浪人生の者です よろしければ添削お願いいたします<m(__)m>   問題の設問 Students at many university in Japan are reqrired to study a foreign language, usually English. Some university require students to study more than one foreign language. Some people say universities should not require students to study a foreign language at all. Which do you think is the best policy? Write a paragraph explaining your opinion. Give at least one appropriate reason to support your answer. 自分の解答 I think that students need to study more than one foreign language. That is because if students study foreign languages, they can be exposed to foreign cultures which are hidden in foreign languages.

• 自由英作文早稲田法11年添削お願いします。

添削をお願いいたします。 第一志望は早稲田政経です。 [Q] In Japan, some high schools prohibit students from having part-time jobs, even though they are legally allowed to work. Do you agree with such a school policy or not? [My answer] I disagree with such a school policy. It has many good aspects to have part-time jobs. You can know what jobs are really like by having part-time jobs. It seems preparation of your future. Of course if you spend many times on working, you can't leave many times to study or play with friends, but I think the experiences of having jobs are even more worth than to study or play. That is why high schools should allow them to have part-time jobs and you should have the choice. ・入試本番において(今日の模試の会場で)数少ない時間の中でこの英文を改良してあげるとしたらどうすべきであったか。 ・文法的ミスはあるか。 ・論理構成はどうか。 ・合格答案になりえているか。 などの観点で見ていただければと思います。 よろしくお願いします