The Saffron-Flower: Understanding Genji's Poem

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In the excerpt from The Saffron-Flower, Myobu anxiously waits for a letter from Genji, imagining the princess' suffering. When the letter finally arrives, the princess is unable to understand its meaning.
  • The poem 'Scarce had the evening mist lifted and revealed the prospect to my sight when the night rain closed gloomily about me' is a reflection of Genji's emotions. It signifies his disappointment and loneliness.
  • The phrase 'Genji did not intend ever to come again' implies that Genji has decided not to visit the princess' house anymore. The ladies of the household interpret this as a sign that he has lost interest in the princess.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

以下の英文について教えてください。

When hour after hour went by and still no letter came, Myobu began to feel very sorry for the princess whom she imagined to be suffering acutely from Genji's incivility. But in reality the poor lady was still far too occupied with shame and horror at what had happened the night before to think of anything else, and when late in the evening Genji's note at last arrived she could not understand in the least what it meant. It began with the poem: "Scarce had the evening mist lifted and revealed the prospect to my sight when the night rain closed gloomily about me." "I shall watch with impatience for a sign that the clouds are breaking," the letter continued. The ladies of the household at once saw with consternation the meaning of this note: Genji did not intend ever to come again. 源氏物語の『The Saffron-Flower』(末摘花)からの抜粋です。 末摘花(常陸宮の娘)の元に源氏から後朝の手紙が届いた場面です。 以下の源氏の和歌の個所がわかりません。 Scarce had the evening mist lifted and revealed the prospect to my sight when the night rain closed gloomily about me. Scarceが否定語の副詞のために倒置になっていると思うのですが、ここはどうやって訳すのでしょうか? また、最後にGenji did not intend ever to come again.とあるのですが、 なぜ源氏は二度と来るつもりはない、と末摘花の家の女性たちは思ったのでしょうか? I shall watch with impatience for a sign that the clouds are breakingとあるので、雲の晴間を待っている(この意味の取り方でよいでしょうか?)=また会いたい、というようにも思ったのですが。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#232772
noname#232772
回答No.2

1) Scarce had ~ について 辞書を引けば scarce = scarcely は載っていると思います。 したがって、倒置を元に戻して The evening mist scarcely lifted and revealed the prospect of my sight. と同じと考えて訳します。 2) 女房たちの考えについて これについては当時の貴族の習俗を知らないと想像しにくいと思いますが、この場面は光源氏と末摘花との初夜の翌日であり、普通であれば二日目以降しばらくの間は夜になると男が通ってくるのが当然とされていました。 それを「雨が降ってるから今日はごめんね!」みたいな手紙が来たとなると、普通の人は「うわぁ…… ダメだこりゃ……」と思うわけです。車に乗って来るんだから雨なんか関係ないはずですよね。 「二度と来ない」とたしかに英文には書いてありますが、アーサー・ウェイリー訳は今でいう「超訳」なので、ちょっと勇み足の感じがありますね。 このサイトで質問することが悪いとは思いませんが、Google検索をもっとガシガシ使うと、答えには簡単にたどりつけたと思います。青空文庫で与謝野訳も読めますし、Google Booksでウェイリー英訳も参照できます。

arianary
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 scarce = scarcely はわかったのですが、全体的に通る訳にできませんでした。2)についての解説、とてもよくわかりました。 日本語訳で意味は掴みながら読んでいるのですが、ウェイリーの英訳自体についてわからないところが出てきます。(本も持っています) また、機会がありましたらよろしくお願いします。

その他の回答 (1)

• Nebusoku3
  • ベストアンサー率38% (1441/3774)
回答No.1

Scarce had the evening mist lifted and revealed the prospect to my sight when the night rain closed gloomily about me. 「夕霧の晴るるけしきもまだ見ぬに いぶせさそふる宵の雨かな 雲間待ち出でむほど、いかに心もとなう」 I shall watch with impatience for a sign that the clouds are breaking 「かかることを、悔しなどは言ふにやあらむ。さりとていかがはせむ。我は、さりとも、心長く見果ててむ」⇒何度かアプローチをかけたのだが、相手にされていないと感じを源氏が受けたものと思います。 >雲の晴間を待っている(この意味の取り方でよいでしょうか?)=また会いたい、というようにも思ったのですが。 この解釈でOKと思います。 ”雲の晴間”⇒ ”心を開いてくれる” のを待つ にかけた言葉と思います。 参考: http://www.sainet.or.jp/~eshibuya/text06.html 末摘花 項の第六段 あたりを参照ください。

arianary
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 現代訳は参照して"意味"は取れたのですが、ウェイリー訳を正確に訳せたら、と思いました。 解説ありがとうございます。 また、機会がありましたらよろしくお願いします。

関連するQ&A

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

With his usual frankness he said to Genji: "I wonder whether you have had any answer. I must confess that as an experiment I too sent a mild hint, but without any success, so I have not repeated it." "So he too has been trying his hand," thought Genji, smiling to himself. "No," he answered aloud, "my letter did not need an answer, which was perhaps the reason that I did not receive one." From this enigmatic reply Chujo deduced that Genji had been in communication of some kind with the lady and he was slightly piqued by the fact that she had shown a preference between them. Genji's deeper feelings were in no way involved, and though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style, and feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply. 源氏物語の『末摘花』からの抜粋です。 1人の女性、"末摘花"を巡って源氏と頭中将(源氏の義兄、恋敵)が会話をしている場面です。 以下の個所について教えてください。 【though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style, and feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply.】 この英文の前半の構造ですが though his vanity was a little wounded he would not have pursued the matter farther had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's style though his vanity was a little wounded たとえ彼の虚栄心が少し傷つけられても he would not have pursued the matter farther 彼はその事を更に追求しなかっただろう となると思うのですが その後の had he not known the persuasive power of Chujo's styleの部分が倒置のようにも思え、よくわかりません。また前の部分とのつながりはどのように読んでいけばよいのでしょうか? また後半の feared that even now she might overcome her scruples and send him a reply. この部分は、he would not have feared that even now she might ~と読むのでしょうか? 【】の部分の訳はどのようになるのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

The Emperor was impatient to see Fujitsubo's child and so too (though he was forced to conceal his interest in the matter) was Genji himself. Accordingly he went to her palace when there were not many people about and sent in a note, offering as the Emperor was in such a state of impatience to see the child and etiquette forbad him to do so for several weeks, to look at the child himself and report upon its appearance to the Emperor. She replied that she would rather he saw it on a day when it was less peevish; but in reality her refusal had nothing to do with the state of the child's temper; she could not bear the idea of his seeing it at all. Already it bore an astonishing resemblance to him; of that she was convinced. Always there lurked in her heart the torturing demon of fear. Soon others would see the child and instantly know with absolute certainty the secret of her swift transgression. What charity towards such a crime as this would a world have that gossips if a single hair is awry? Such thoughts continually tormented her and she again became weary of her life. 源氏物語の『The Festival Of Red Leaves』(紅葉賀)からの抜粋です。 藤壺が源氏との不義の子供を出産した直後の場面です。 現代語訳を参照して大意は掴んでいるのですが、上記の英文の中でわからない個所があります。 (最後の方です) What charity towards such a crime as this would a world have that gossips if a single hair is awry? この英文で What charity towards such a crime as this would a world haveを訳すと このような罪に対して世間はどんな慈愛を持つだろうか?になるでしょうか? その後の that gossips if a single hair is awryの部分がわかりません。 if a single hair is awryもし一本の髪の毛が捻じれているならば、と訳してみたのですが that gossipsの個所がわかりません。(thatが?です) 解説していただける方、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

In January 1915, Samuel submitted a Zionist memorandum entitled The Future of Palestine to the Cabinet after discussions with Chaim Weizmann and Lloyd George. On 5 February 1915, Samuel had another discussion with Grey: "When I asked him what his solution was he said it might be possible to neutralize the country under international guarantee ... and to vest the government of the country in some kind of Council to be established by the Jews" After further conversations with Lloyd George and Grey, Samuel circulated a revised text to the Cabinet which was formally discussed on 13 March 1915.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Not only was it problematic finding qualified British officers to command the companies and battalions of the Indian Army, there was also a shortage of trained Indians to be granted a Viceroy's Commission. Viceroy Commissioned Officers occupied a unique position between the junior British officers and the senior non-commissioned officers. During its year in France, the VCO's of the Meerut had also suffered heavy casualties. Prior to the war, when most operations of the Indian Army were along the North-West Frontier, there had never been a need to quickly produce VCOs. Consequently, those who were promoted to the rank of VCO was typically a long service soldier of many years of experience. With the heavy casualties of France, the system had not yet caught up to the realities of the new type of war they were fighting. Confronted with a type of war they had never expected to be a part of, morale among the Indian troops plummeted. As an added insult, when the Meerut and Lahore Divisions were withdrawn from France, they ceased receiving combat pay, even though they were being shipped Egypt, under threat from Ottoman force, and then to Mesopotamia, to actively take part in an offensive.

• 以下の英文について教えてください

Some years ago, a temporary inability to sleep, referable to a distressing impression, caused me to walk about the streets all night, for a series of several nights. (中略) The restlessness of a great city, and the way in which it tumbles and tosses before it can get to sleep, formed one of the first entertainments offered to the contemplation of us homeless people. (中略) After all seemed quiet, if one cab rattled by, half-a-dozen would surely follow; and Homelessness event observed that intoxicated people appeared to be magnetically attracted towards each other; so that we knew when we saw one drunken object staggering against the shutters of a shop, that another drunken object would stagger up before five minutes were out, to fraternise or fight with it. so that we knew~以下がわからないのですが、 so that we knew when~は、「私たちがいつ、~をわかるように」、ですか? before five minutes were outはどうやって訳すのでしょうか? to fraternise or fight with itは、「お店のシャッターと仲良くするか闘うために」ですか? どういう意味でしょうか? ----The Uncommercial Traveller (Night Walks): C.Dickens

• (1)以下の英文について教えてください。

There were six of them, the best and bravest of the hero's companions. Turning back from his post in the bows, Odysseus was in time to see them lifted, struggling, into the air, to hear their screams, the desperate repetition of his own name. The survivors could only look on, helplessly, while Scylla "at the mouth of her cave devoured them, still screaming, still stretching out their hands to me in the frightful struggle." And Odysseus adds that it was the most dreadful and lamentable sight he ever saw in all his "explorations of the passes of the sea." We can believe it; Homer's brief description (the too poetic simile is a later interpolation) convinces us. Later, the danger passed, Odysseus and his men went ashore for the night and, on the Sicilian beach, prepared their supper—prepared it, says Homer, ‘expertly.’ The Twelfth Book of the Odyssey concludes with these words. “When they had satisfied their thirst and hunger, they thought of their dear companions and wept, and in the midst of their tears sleep came gently upon them.” この英文について質問があります。 Turning back from his post in the bowsというのは、bowsが「矢」で、postが「持ち場」の意味になるのでしょうか? Later, the danger passed, Odysseus and his men went ashore for the night and, on the Sicilian beach, prepared their supper—prepared it, says Homer, ‘expertly.’ ここのsays Homer, ‘expertly.’というのは、Homerが"Odysseus"を上手く書いた、という意味ですか? また、prepared their supper—prepared itのハイフンの意味がよくわからない感じです。言い換えているのはなぜなのか?? お手数をおかけしますが、よろしくお願いします。 (2)に続きます。 ---------------Tragedy and the Whole Truth: Aldous Huxley

• この英文の前半の主語

If you have nothing better to do, Monsieur the Count (or My prince), and if the prospect of spending the evening with a poor sick woman does not frighten you too much, I shall be delighted to see you here between 7 and 10 o’clock 伯爵もしくは公爵様、もし、楽しいご予定がなく、哀れな病気の女とともに夜会を過ごすことがあなたにとって驚きでないようでしたらうれしく存じます。夜7時から10時までの間に皆様をお待ちいたします。 この英文の前半の主語はthe prospect of spendingでよいですか教えてください

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

On May 8, 1915, one of the twelve Armenian messengers from the Siege of Van had got through to Persia An Armenian volunteer unit with Andranik, along with 1200 man, and commander Chernoroyal's division dispatched toward the Bashkaleh. On May 7, they captured Bashkaleh. This group from Persia reach the City of Van on May 18. They had expected to find Van still in a state of siege and were amazed at finding it in the hands of the Armenians. When word got to Yudenich, he sent a brigade of Trans-Baikal Cossacks under General Trukhin. With Van secure, fighting shifted farther west for the rest of the summer. During July 1915, Russian forces at the Caucasus Campaign had a general retreat which one Russian column retreated up to Persian frontier. This retreat was the consequence of events at June 1915. Yudenich planned an attack to limit the Ottomans at Moush and Manzikert. He planned to outflank from Beyazit and Persian Azerbaijan towards Van. However, the Russian advance toward the Caucuses campaign did not last long. The Russian forces suffered reverses. The command of Khalil Bey Eleven divisions of regular troops attacked the very center of the Russian Caucasian advance. In a few days they with Battle of Manzikert July 16, and later Battle of Kara Killisse the Russian army retreated.

• 以下の英文を和訳して下さい。

They took cargoes of swords, lacquerware, precious metals, grain, fish, and horses, and returned home with silks, antique china, incense, and precious woods. Ieyasu, who liked to learn about the outside world and was better educated than Hideyoshi, no doubt had various considerations in mind when he encouraged the licensed trade. There is evidence that he wished to build up Japan’s maritime commerce so his countrymen would no longer be overwhelmingly dependent on foreign traders. Apart from giving Japanese a far greater share of the trading profits, this policy held out some hope of avoiding the religious problems that had come with the Spaniards and Portuguese.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Colonel Khalil Pasha's XIII Corps, composed up of 35th and 52nd Infantry Divisions, moved down river to block any advance by the Tigris Corps. The 52nd Division had arrived in region in time to take part in the Battle of Ctesiphon and the early stages of the siege of Kut. It was a war formed division which originally served in Caucasus region before being rushed to the Mesopotamian theater. The 35th Division, on the other hand, was a pre-war division that had originally been assigned to defend the Basra and Baghdad vilayets. Along with the 38th Division, they had unsuccessfully opposed the I.E.F. "D" initial advances. After suffering heavy casualties, the survivors of the 35th and 38th Divisions had been consolidated into a single division. While this brought the 35th Division up to something close to an effective combat strength, it also brought with it the morale problems which had existed in the 38th Division. The 38th Division had been composed primarily of levies from the Arab and Kurdish populations. Neither group felt any particular attachment to the Ottoman government. Their loyalty was suspect, and discipline was always a problem. Between them, the 35th and 52nd Divisions would be able to muster approximately 9000 infantry, 20 artillery pieces, a brigade of cavalry, as well as a group of mounted Arab irregulars.