訳と構造、文法についてお願いします

このQ&Aのポイント
  • John Galsworthyの『THE CHOICE』の訳と構造と文法について教えてください
  • 彼らがさらされることと加齢についての共感について教えてください
  • across his loinsの意味について教えてください
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

訳と構造、文法についてお願いします。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、訳と構造と文法を教えてください。 It is uncertain whether he discussed this matter of the river versus the 'house with the dog, to whom he was always talking; but that they shared a certain fellow-feeling on the subject of exposure and advancing age is more than probable; for, as he would point out. The poor old feller's teeth were going; and the stiffness across his loins was always worse when it was wet. ('house=救貧院)     (1) that they shared a certain fellow-feeling on the subject of exposure     and advancing age is more than probableの構造について     that( they shared a certain fellow-feeling on the subject of exposure     and advancing age)・・・・かっこ内がthatにかかるのでしょうか?        (2) for, as he would point outの個所について      for「というのは」、as「ので」、wouldは「過去の習慣」ですか?      訳し方がよくわかりません。   (3) across his loins ・・・acrossは「いたるところ」という意味ですか? <訳> 彼が川(に飛び込む)対救貧院(に行く)についてのこのことを、その犬、彼はいつも(それに)話していたのですが、と議論したかどうかは不確かです。しかし彼らがさらされることと加齢について、ある種の共感を分け合ったことはいかにもありそうなことです。というのは、彼は目を向けていたので。貧しい歳を取った男の歯は抜けて行って、腰のいたるところの凝りは湿気があるときはいつもより悪くなりました。 (合っていますか?) よろしくお願い致します。 前文です。 "The 'house ain't for a man that respects himself," he would remark. And, since that was his conviction, such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it. At the same time, it became increasingly difficult to pass him without wondering how much longer it would be before he finally sought shelter in the element of water, which was so apt to pour down on him day by day.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

(1) の部分は訳はあっていますので、それでいいとも思いますが、 申し上げたように that は接続詞であって、かっこ内がかかる、というものではありません。 (2) おっしゃるように、for は接続詞です。 , for SV で、前に続いて、「というのも~だから」 ここでいうと、その for に続く SV が The poor old feller's teeth were ... and S was です。 そして、この部分が同時に point out の目的語となっています。 point out ~で「~を指摘する」 その目的語を引用符にしたり、that 節にする代わりに、 あらたに文にしています。:(コロン)の後、みたいなものだと思います。 そして、その point out という部分は as ~「~するように」に続けています。 だから、前の「ありそうなことです」に続けて、 というのも、彼が指摘したように、この貧しい歳を取った男の歯は抜けて行って、腰のいたるところの凝りは湿気があるときはいつも、(そうでない時より)悪くなったから。 would は過去の習慣(~したものだ)か、単に推測か。 あるいは「そういう機会があれば~するだろう」という仮定法的か。 (3) across はおっしゃるとおりだと思います。

k_wreath
質問者

お礼

再度ご回答ありがとうございます。 point outの目的語がないと思っていたのですが、 The poor old feller's teeth were ... and S was の個所が 目的語になっているのですね。 as~は「~するように」ですね。 その他の個所もよくわかりました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

(1) 単なる接続詞の that です。 I think (that) SV. となるパターンと同じで名詞節を構成します。 基本はI think (that) SV. のように、動詞の目的語となるものですが、 名詞節である以上、主語にもなれます。 ここでは but の後、That SV で名詞節として主語になっています。 「S が V するということ」は 普通には that で「~ということ」くらいに理解します。 think の後のような場合は普通省略しますが、主語の場合は省略できません。 ただ、多くの場合、It is more than probable (that) ~のように、 形式主語 it を用いて書きます(その場合は that の省略可)。     

k_wreath
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 thatは接続詞ですね。 ご解説もありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の構造、意味、訳の添削をお願い致します。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、 訳の添削と質問の個所の回答をお願い致します。 *"The 'house ain't for a man that respects himself," he would remark. And, since that was his conviction, such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it. At the same time, it became increasingly difficult to pass him without wondering how much longer it would be before he finally sought shelter in the element of water, which was so apt to pour down on him day by day. (the element of water=「四大元素の一つ(自然の力)としての水」:本の注釈より) (1) such as respected themselvesが訳出できませんでした。       And, since that was his conviction,    such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it.      の英文の構造はどのようになっているのでしょうか? (2) how much longer it would beのitはhis convictionですか? (3) which was so apt to pour down on him day by dayについて      whichの先行詞はwaterですか? (4)  pour down on himは「彼にどんどん流れ出る」ですか?     意味がわかりにくいです。 <訳> 「救貧院は自尊心を持つ人間のためにあるものではない」と彼は述べていたものでした。そして、それは彼の信念だったのでそれに反して行動することを彼に請い求めることはあまりよくできませんでした。同時に、彼が自然の力としての水に保護をついに探し出す前に、そしてそれは日に日にややもすれば彼にどんどん流れ出るようだったのですが、それがどのくらいより長いことになるか疑問に思うことなく彼を見過ごすことは、ますます難しくなっていきました。 よろしくお願い致します。 前文です。 He was so entirely fixed and certain that he was "going in the river" before he went "in the 'house," that one hesitated to suggest that the time was at hand when he should cease to expose himself all day and every day. He had evidently pondered long and with a certain deep philosophy on this particular subject, and fortified himself by hearsay.

• 英文法 訳について

(1)よく英文の日本ニュースを見ているとDPJ sources said  Japanese government sourcesような表現があるのですがsourcesってどう訳すればいいですか? (2)‘‘The prime minister has also said it should be moved outside of the prefecture or abroad and he also knows that (relocation within Okinawa) would be disadvantageous in the election,’’ Ozawa was quoted as saying 最後のOzawa was quoted as sayingの意味わかりますか? (3)saying the plan would work against the party as it prepares for the House of Councillors election this summer, DPJ sources said Sunday. as it の用法ってわかりますか?whichでおきかえることはできますでしょうか? 宜しくお願いたします。

• いくつかの質問と訳の添削をお願い致します。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、 訳の添削と質問の個所の回答をお願い致します。 *He was so entirely fixed and certain that he was "going in the river" before he went "in the 'house," that one hesitated to suggest that the time was at hand when he should cease to expose himself all day and every day. He had evidently pondered long and with a certain deep philosophy on this particular subject, and fortified himself by hearsay. ( 'house=poorhouse. 「救貧院」:本の注釈より) (1) この英文はso~that構文ですか?         (so) entirely fixed and certain ~(that) one hesitated to suggest ~ (2) the riverという単語はこの物語で初めて出てきたのですが、     he was "going in the river"というのは、彼が川の中に入ることになっているという    未来を表しているのでしょうか?(意味が?ですが・・・) (3) fortified himself by hearsay     うわさによって精神を強化する、ですか?     どういう意味になるでしょうか? <訳> 彼は救貧院に行く前に川に入ることをとても完全に固執して確信していたので、人は彼が毎日一日中自分自身をさらけることをしなくなるべきだという時が近い将来であるということを提案するのを躊躇していました。彼は明らかに長い間、なんらかの深い哲学と共にこの特別な主題を熟考し、うわさによって精神を強化しました。 よろしくお願い致します。 前文です。 but the one remarkable feature of his perpetual illness was that he was always "better" than he had been. We could not at times help thinking that this continual crescendo of good health should have gradually raised him to a pinnacle of paramount robustness; and it was with a certain disappointment, in the face of his assurances, that we watched him getting, on the contrary, slowly stiffer and feebler, and noted the sure increase of the egg-like deposits, which he would proudly have us remark, about his wrists and fingers.

• 訳の添削と英文の構造を教えてください。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、 訳の添削と質問の個所の回答をお願い致します。 (この英文は”訳の添削をお願い致します。”というタイトルの質問から続いています) *and it was with a certain disappointment, in the face of his assurances, that we watched him getting, on the contrary, slowly stiffer and feebler, and noted the sure increase of the egg-like deposits, which he would proudly have us remark, about his wrists and fingers. (1) egg-likeはのっぺらぼうな、という意味ですか?        the sure increase of the egg-like deposits・・・・    預金がないというようなことを言っているような気がするのですが、    the sure increase of~となっているので意味がよくわかりません。     (2) which he would proudly ~のwhichは何を受けているのでしょうか?    the sure increase of the egg-like depositsですか?  (3) he would proudly have us remark, about his wrists and fingers       haveは使役動詞だと思うのですが、私たちに注目させる、ですか?    wouldは過去の習慣を表したものですか?     彼の保証に直面する中で、私たちが逆に彼がゆっくりより曲がって弱って行くのを見て、またのっぺらぼうな預金の確かな増加(?)に気付き、彼がそれを私たちに誇らしげに注目させていたことは確かな失望を伴うことでした。 about his wrists and fingersは訳にどうやって入れるのでしょうか? (わからなくて入れられませんでした) a certain disappointment・・・確かな失望? 多少の失望? コンマがたくさん入っていてどのように文がつながっているのかがよくわかりませんでした。 よろしくお願い致します。

• この英文の(文法)構造がわかりません。

こんにちは。 Harry potter and the goblet of fire[UK アダルト版]p.252の真ん中ちょっと下あたりの文に関してです。 "It was Harry suggesting she might be too tired, and that perhaps he would ask Ron to borrow Pigwidgeon, that made her stick out her leg and allow him to tie that letter to it." 日本語訳では、 ”ハリーが、ヘドウィグは疲れているだろうから、ロンに頼んでピッグウィジョンを貸してもらおうかなと仄めかすと、ヘドウィグはやっと脚を突き出し、ハリーに手紙を括り付けることを許した。” とあるのですが、なぜ、上記の英文で、「~すると、…は~した。」と言う構文になるのでしょうか? ', that made her...'の'that'は'Harry suggesting'を指しているのでしょうか? 'Harry suggesting she might ...'の'suggesting'と'she'の間には'that'が省略されているのでしょうか? 基本的な分の構造としては、'Harry suggesting'が'made her stick out'させたというこうとでいいのでしょうか? それをIt is that の強調構文で強調しているという解釈でしょうか? 質問ばかりですいません。 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の訳について

私は、ロシアの方と海外文通をしています。 メールは、「日本のことについて教えてあげるので、質問はありますか?」という内容で出しました。 今日、メールの返事が来て訳そうと思ったのですが、上手に訳すことが出来ません。 辞書なども使いましたが、分かりませんでした。 I very much would want to know how many at you hieroglyphs, I heard about attitudes(relations) in the Japanese families that the child up to the certain age "god" and when it(he) starts to go to school "slave", whether the truth it or it was earlier much, and I would like to learn(find out) than teenagers in Japan are engaged at leisure. 私の英語力が低いので、理解出来ていません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の訳が分かりません

英文の訳が分かりません But it had also been suggested by the book that he had just taken out of the drawer. it was a peculiarly beautiful book. its smooth creamy paper, a little yellowed by age, was of a kind that had not been manufactured for at least forty years past. He could guess, however, that the book was much older than that. He had seen it lying in the window of a frowzy little junk-shop in a slummy quarter of the town ( just what quarter he did not now remember ) and had been stricken immediately by an overwhelming desire to possess it. party members were supposed not to go into ordinary shops ( ‘dealing on the free market ’, it was called), but the rule was not strictly kept, because there were various things such as shoelaces and razor blades which it was impossible to get hold of in any other way. He had given a quick glance up and down the street and then had slipped inside and bought the book for two dollars fifty. At the time he was not conscious of wanting it for any particular purpose He had carried it guiltily home in his briefcase. Even with nothing written in it, it was a com-promising possession この英文を全訳してもらえるとありがたいです。

• 訳を教えてください

以下の文章の最後の一文がよくわりません。ご教授ください。 However, up until the moment that those keys were turned over, I was still searching for something that had greater value to me than anything I had ever imagined as a child, and that I knew for certain was in that house at one time. https://medium.com/@bclund/the-most-valuable-fake-id-in-the-world-ddb7a9120c5 これのand that I knew for certain was in that house at one time.の部分です。よろしくお願いします。

• はじめて見た使い方(文法)

A few days ago, I came across a ring-sized box my boyfriend was obviously planning to give me. It had the name of a company on it, and I immediately Googled it out of curiosity. I was taken aback when I found that this company sells cubic zirconia rings that cost about $20. So I did something that I now regret — I peeked inside the box. It was an engagement ring and wedding ring set that I saw on the website costs $20.99. an engagement ring and wedding ring set that I saw on the website costs $20.99.のsawとcostsは両方前の名詞にかかっているのでしょうか?このような言い方はできるのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 訳の添削をお願い致します。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、 訳の添削をお願い致します。 *but the one remarkable feature of his perpetual illness was that he was always "better" than he had been. We could not at times help thinking that this continual crescendo of good health should have gradually raised him to a pinnacle of paramount robustness; しかし彼の果てしない病気の一つの注目すべき特徴は、彼はいつもそれまでよりも「よりよくなっている」ということでした。私たちはたまに、彼の健康が継続して徐々に増すことによって、次第に最高の頑丈さに引き上げられたらよかったのにと思わずにはいられませんでした。 (should have +p.p.は~実際には丈夫にはならなかった、ということなのでしょうか。) よろしくお願い致します。 前文です。 To sweep a crossing was not a profession that he himself would have chosen before all others, still it was "better than days not being the 'house---and you were your own master." The climate in those days not being the most suitable for business which necessitated constant exposure to all elements but that of fire, his ailments were proportionally active;