• ベストアンサー

わからない個所があります。

幸福な王子」の英文です。 "And now that I am dead they have set me up here so high that I can see all the ugliness and all the misery of my city," 出だしの"And now that I am dead "の個所が「結城浩訳」では 「死んでから」となっています。 この個所の訳の取り方がよくわかりません。 直訳だと「そして私が死んでいる今」になってしまう感じがするのですが・・・ 説明をいただけるとありがたいです

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

Now that SV(,) さらに that を省略して Now SV(,) で 「~する(した)今となっては、~なので(ある以上)」 という意味合いで、Because ~や When ~のような接続詞と同様、 後の主節 SV に続いていきます。 「死んでいる今となっては、死んでいるので」というのを 時間的に「死んでから」と訳しているのでしょう。 私なんかでは辞書的に理由的にしか訳せないですが、翻訳家はそうでもないのでしょう。

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 文法と合わせての解説がよくわかりました。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

「翻訳は別の作品である」というのが私の認識です。音楽で言う編曲のようなもので、翻訳は文学の一分野です。

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 なるほど!と思いました。

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.2

そして私が死んでしまった今、彼らは私をこんなに高いこの場所に据え付けたので、私はこの街の醜さや悲惨さが全部見ることができる。 私が死んでしまった今ここに据え付けた = 私が死んでからここに据え付けた このくらいは、意訳の範囲内でしょう。

red_hood_girl
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 意訳についての解説がよくわかりました。

関連するQ&A

• ここはどうなっているのでしょうか?

「幸福な王子」の英文で “I am come to bid you good-bye,” he cried. 「おいとまごいにやってきました」ツバメは声をあげました。(結城浩訳) という個所がありますが、 ここの、am と comeがつながっている部分はどのように理解するとよいのでしょうか? I come to bid you good-bye,とはどう違うのでしょうか?

• 特別な意味合いはないでしょうか?

「幸福な王子」の英文です。 "you tell me of marvellous things, but more marvellous than anything is the suffering of men and of women. There is no Mystery so great as Misery. " 「あなたは驚くべきことを聞かせてくれた。 しかし、苦しみを受けている人々の話ほど驚くべきことはない。 度しがたい悲しみ以上に解きがたい謎はないのだ。」(結城浩訳) more marvellous than anything is the suffering of men and of women. の個所について ここは「苦しみを受けている人々の話は最も驚くべきことだ」と言っているように 感じるのですが the most marvellousという最上級を使って表現してしまうと読んだ時のニュアンスが違ってくるのでしょうか? 作者がたまたまそう書いただけのことで、特別な意味合いはないのでしょうか?

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない箇所があります

I worried about the influence of the city on Jessica, of so much that was ugly and tawdly and meretricious violent, distasteful, of all the getting and spending. 「都会がジェシカに与える影響、あれほどまでに醜く、安っぽくてけばけばしく、暴力的で不快なものの影響、手に入れたり使ったりするものすべての影響が心配になったのだ。」 この文でのso much that の役割を教えてください。どういう構造になっているのかよく分かりません。訳は本に載っていたものです。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘And don’t forget to think over those ideas Julia came up with. They’ve got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she’ll need some time before that to put it all together.’ ‘I will. I’ll call you, Max.’ ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead.(前回の終わりの部分です) The valley is warm on the walk back from town, smelling of sage and greenery. The last of the puddles on the road are turning to dust now, though the leaves of the roadside asphodel and myrtle still have their newly washed crispness. Going over the conversation in my mind, I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to, that I have been somehow sidetracked. I seem to have bought myself time here, and I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that. But it’s done now. Perhaps I can call him later in the week; perhaps things will be clearer by then. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 以下は物語のさわりです。 Alex is an artist, preparing for a major exhibition. An impulsive trip back to the Italy of his childhood forces him to explore the unresolved questions of his past where, in those seemingly innocent days, he swam and played and explored the wild countryside with Jamie and Anna. ****************************************** The last of the puddles on the road are turning to dust now, though the leaves of the roadside asphodel and myrtle still have their newly washed crispness. の中でわからない表現があるのですが、 The last of the puddles=水溜りの終わり? the last=最上の?? their newly washed crispness.=洗い立てのパリっとしていること? どんな意味、感じなのでしょうか? Going over the conversation in my mind, I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to, that I have been somehow sidetracked. がよくまとまらないのですが、 Going over the conversation in my mind=私の心の中で会話を(再)点検しながら? I can’t help feeling I haven’t said what I meant to=私は私が意味したことを言わなかったと感じずにはいられません。? that I have been somehow sidetracked=私がどうにかわきにそらされたということ? that I have been~のthatはI haven't said that I have been~とつながるのでしょうか? I seem to have bought myself time here,時間を買う?というのはどういうことですか? I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that.ここのI should have wanted to do thatは、私はそれをしたいと思ったのにそれをしなかった、という意味ですか? thatは時間を買うことですか? But it’s done now.のitも時間を買うことですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない箇所について教えてください。

When I last left, twenty-six years ago, the place felt hollow: all that had once filled it was gone. I left sure that I could discard it. Then, a fortnight ago, there’s the phone call, and everything changes. Lena has died, a few weeks short of her eighty-fourth birthday. The house is empty now, and there are decisions to be made: whether to sell, to rent it out again, to have work done on it. I know at once that I have to come myself. Max wants me to do it all by phone –get a surveyor in, have the solicitors in Salerno handle everything; but I can’t. It’s my house, and I shall check it over in person. When I see he’s genuinely worried about how much time this will take, I reassure him that there’s nothing much to do. Just look things over, sign a few papers. Two or three days; 【that’s all.】 Besides, I say, it will be good for me to have a break. The past few months have been exhausting. A chance to escape from London and all the endless preparations will do me good. In the end, he relents. 【I think about it all 】on the plane to Naples, and on the train to Salerno, and on the bus all down the forty-mile stretch to the head of the valley: about how I’ve lied to Max. There’s no point my coming here, not really. He’s quite right that it could all be handled easily enough over the phone. It’s not even that I’m keen to see Altesa again: it’s hard to imagine that the hollowness has in any way ebbed over the past twenty-six years. 【It’s none of that. 】 Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** 【that’s all.】のthatは何を表しているのでしょうか? Just look things over, sign a few papers.ですか? 【I think about it all 】のitは何を指しているのでしょうか? how I’ve lied to Maxですか? 【It’s none of that. 】の意味がわかりません。 長くなってしまってすみません。 お願いいたします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

After a moment’s hesitation, he sits down on the flat rock beside me. ‘What were you thinking about?’ Now it is my turn to hesitate. I have become used to what to say to my parents, but perhaps this is not the right thing to say to Jamie. I look at him, and his brown eyes are interested, not suspicious. I say, ‘I was thinking with Lena.’ ‘Who’s Lena?’ (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘She’s our cook. And she looks after me, sometimes.’ He nods, and I am encouraged by the way he accepts what I’ve told him. ‘We’re going for a walk up that way, and we see a bridge, and a chapel where a man used to live. A hermit,’ I add. ‘He went away, though, into the hills.’ Jamie is frowning. ‘When?’ ‘When what?’ ‘When do you go on the walk?’ I am thrown into confusion. I don’t want Jamie to know that I used to be a liar, but the conversation is becoming like the ones I used to have – back then, when I was a liar – with my parents. I don’t know what to say. But Jamie is still looking at me, his face open and waiting for me to say something, and in the end I just say it. ‘Just now.’ ‘This morning?’ ‘Just now. Before you came.’ Suddenly I want him very much to understand. ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ‘What, then?’ It is the tone of his voice that makes the difference: not impatient, just curious. I try to find the words. ‘You know when – you go somewhere—’ He nods. ‘And then you come back.’ Now he is looking puzzled. ‘What, like a walk?’ ‘Yes,’ I say. ‘Like that. That’s what I was doing.’ He is quiet for a time, then he says, ‘So you’d gone with Lena and then you came back and then you came here and I found you?’ *That’s what I was doing.のThatは斜体になっています。 ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンだと思われます。 ‘That was what I was doing. Staring into space.’ ‘You mean you were imagining it?’ ‘No …’ ここのやり取りの意味が掴めません。 「それは僕がしていたことだったんだ。空間を見つめていたんだ」 「それを想像していたっていうこと?」 「違うよ」 ?? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

There is a sharp silence. At last he says, ‘Alex, how long are you talking about? The weekend?’ ‘Maybe,’ I say. ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Well, that’s all right – just. But let’s not cut things too close here. This is the big one, remember?’ ‘Sure,’ I say. (前回の終わりの部分です) Suddenly he laughs. ‘You really hate all of this, don’t you?’ he says. ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if the house was perfect and you were inventing rising damp so you can sit in the sun and keep out of my way.’ ‘Actually, it’s been raining,’ I tell him. ‘Whatever. Look, enjoy yourself, all right? Have some beers in between fixing up builders and all that. When things are sorted out, give me a call. I suppose we’ll all survive without you for a few more days.’ ‘OK,’ I say. ‘And don’t forget to think over those ideas Julia came up with. They’ve got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she’ll need some time before that to put it all together.’ ‘I will. I’ll call you, Max.’ ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if the house was perfect and you were inventing rising damp so you can sit in the sun and keep out of my way.’ がどういうことを言っているのかわかりません。Alexは自分の家を修理しなければならない状態でいたのですが、the houseというのはAlexの家のことを言っているのか。。。 you were inventing rising damp so you can sit in the sun and keep out of my way.の部分が意味不明です。rising damp=上昇水分??(湿気?) keep out of my way=? Whatever. Look, enjoy yourself, all right? のWhateverは何かの略なのでしょうか?それとも単独で何か意味があるのでしょうか? They've got to go to press by the fourteenth at the latest, and she'll need some time before that to put it all together.' のThey've got to go to press はto不定詞が2つつながっているのでしょうか?  the fourteenthは14日? she'll need some time before that to put it all together.のthat とitは何を指しているのでしょうか?(thatはto put~以下、itはthose ideasですか?) ‘Bye, Alex,’ he says, still sounding amused, and the line goes dead.のsounding amusedの表現がどういう感じなのか掴めません。おかしそうに鳴り響いている? the line goes deadは、電話線が意に反して切れてしまった、ということなのでしょうか? *(ここでAlexとMaxの電話は終わります) ほとんど読めていなのですが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• only not quite so useful

「幸福な王子」の英文です。 “He is as beautiful as a weathercock,” remarked one of the Town Councillors who wished to gain a reputation for having artistic tastes; “only not quite so useful,” he added, この中で“only not quite so useful,”の個所について 「もっとも風見鶏ほど便利じゃないがね」(結城浩訳) と訳されていますが、 辞書を引くと only notで「ほとんど、まるで・・・・せんばかり」、 quiteは「全く すっかり」 と出てきて、どういう構造になっているのかよくわかりません。 教えていただけないでしょうか?