霊感に溢れるアート作品展示の準備中に起こった謎の出来事

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 主人公のAlexはイタリアに戻って展示会の準備をしていますが、ある時突然床が不安定に感じられ、把握力にも疑問を感じます。
  • また、主人公が不思議に思っていることは、突然現れた何かについてですが、それが何なのかは不明です。
  • 唐突に出てくるフレーズの「私を抱いて」という言葉は、主人公が支えを必要としていることを表しています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

The shadow of the rock where it hits the water kills the moonlight, and makes a dark, impenetrable hollow by the curving underside of the promontory. Standing on the curve of land—(前回の終わりの部分です) With a quick gasp and shudder the pictures are around me again. I stare at them blankly for one long, uncertain moment when the floor feels not quite solid and I am not sure whether I can keep my grip here or not. Then everything is hard and real again. With clumsy hands I sweep the photographs together into a pile, fumbling them together, pushing them away from me. What was that? Where did that come from? I look around the room and everything is how it was. I need to do something. I need simple work that will – steady me. Hold me together. By the wall are tins of paint. I remember: the room is the wrong colour. All the rooms are wrong. I have to change them back. Moving quickly – eagerly – I leave the paintings in the middle of the room and turn my back to them, getting brushes, a screwdriver, levering the lids from the cans of emulsion. I look at the empty expanse of the wall, ready for new paint, and take a deep breath. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I stare at them blankly for one long, uncertain moment when the floor feels not quite solid and I am not sure whether I can keep my grip here or not.の中のthe floor feels not quite solid の意味がよくわかりません。床が完全に堅いと感じない??主人公の独特な感性の表現なのでしょうか? また、 I can keep my grip here or notのgripの意味は「理解力」「把握力」ですか? What was that? Where did that come from?は斜体で書かれているのですが、thatが漠然として読みとれません。これは主人公だけが知っているthatのようなものなのでしょうか? 唐突にHold me togetherと出てくるのですが、これは前から繋がっていて、I need simple work that will hold me together.と読むのでしょうか?どんな風に意味合いを取るのでしょうか?一緒に私を抱く(支える?保持する?)とは? 教えてください。 お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

I stare at them blankly for one long, uncertain moment when the floor feels not quite solid and I am not sure whether I can keep my grip here or not.の中のthe floor feels not quite solid の意味がよくわかりません。床が完全に堅いと感じない??主人公の独特な感性の表現なのでしょうか? ⇒ 少し状況を振り返ってみましょう。前の前の質問の回で、自分の作品の写真を床に並べてそれを見ていました。前回それが急に海の風景の話になりましたが、つまり写真を見ていたら急に頭の中に海の風景が浮かんできて、ワープしていたのです。そして今回。ふと割れに帰って、まわりに写真があるところに意識が戻ってきました。それを呆然と見ている状態で、なんかフラフラしてまるで床がしっかりした硬いものじゃないように感じたのです。それが the floor feels not quite solid. 独特な感性と言うよりは、妄想から現実に戻ってまだ意識がしっかりせずフラフラした状態を表しています。 また、 I can keep my grip here or notのgripの意味は「理解力」「把握力」ですか? ⇒ grip はテニスラケットなどのグリップ。手とラケットをしっかりとつないで、ラケットが手から滑って離れないようにする物。車のタイヤのグリップはどれだけ車がしっかりと道路とスリップせずに噛み合っているか。何かをしっかりと止めておくもの、力。この場合、前にfloorが出てくるので、Alexが床の上にしっかり立っていられるかどうかともとらえられますが、これまでの話からするとAlexは現実の何かを見ているうちにいつの間にか妄想や記憶の世界に引き込まれているので、ここで自分自身を現実の中にグリップをきかせて押さえて置けるかどうか?ととらえたほうがしっくり来ると思います。床が固くない、しっかりしていないと言うのはイコール、Alex自身のいる現実がしっかりしていないと言う比喩でもあると思います。 ついでですが、次の、 Then everything is hard and real again. で、ようやく意識がしっかりしてきて、「そしてすべての物が再びしっかりとした現実に戻った。」ハードをしっかりととしましたが、実際には頼りないふわふわしたものが硬い物に意識の中で戻ってきたと言う比喩的表現です。 What was that? Where did that come from?は斜体で書かれているのですが、thatが漠然として読みとれません。これは主人公だけが知っているthatのようなものなのでしょうか? ⇒ that は、前の質問での崖や海が見える風景。一体何だったんだ?どこからあの風景がやってきたんだ? 唐突にHold me togetherと出てくるのですが、これは前から繋がっていて、I need simple work that will hold me together.と読むのでしょうか?どんな風に意味合いを取るのでしょうか?一緒に私を抱く(支える?保持する?)とは? ⇒ hold me together はその前の、steady me. の言い換えと思います。steady meの前に ” - "が付いてますけど、Alexも何か必要なんだけどうまく言い表せない。それでsteady me.と一定置いて、もう少し具体的にhold me togetherと言い直している感じと思います。 「何か、単純な作業でもしなきゃ、そうして... 自分をしっかりさせる、つまりばらばらにならないようまとめておく、為に。」みたいな感じと思います。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

大変詳しく解説してくださってありがとうございました! the floor feels not quite solidのところは、前の方に書かれていた状況から順を追って辿ってみる必要があったのですね。意識が彷徨っていて現実の並べられた写真の所に戻って来た時に”床がしっかりした硬いものじゃないように感じた”というのは、なるほどです。 I can keep my grip here or notについては、”自分自身を現実の中にグリップをきかせて押さえて置けるかどうか?”ととらえるのですね。ここも前述からの状況を考えて読むということですね。gripについての詳しい説明ありがとうございました。 いろいろ比喩的な表現が使われていますが、回答をいただいて、Alexの意識の状態が詳しく掴めました。 What was that?のthatは”崖や海が見える風景”を指していたのですね。これは全然気づけませんでした。 Hold me togetherはsteady meの言い換えなんですね。自分をばらばらにならないようまとめておく、ということなんですね。 小説を読むのがまたあらためて難しい事だということを感じました。 ありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

and how finally it became so accepted that now there are younger artists who make their own fusions from it, and find in it new barriers to be broken down. Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry. Right now, I find I hardly care: they all seem so very far away.(前回の終わりの部分です) I try to arrange them vaguely as they will be in the gallery. It’s to be a chronology, from my earliest work through to the present day. A retrospective. I deal out the photographs like a fortune-teller arranging the cards, spreading them out on the boards, first to last in a wide arc. Gradually the sense of them starts to become apparent: the shifts of style and focus that have happened over the years. I sit in their centre, staring, puzzling, trying to see what it is that feels so wrong – so incomplete – about them. There must be something. It’s strong enough to have made it impossible for me to stay any longer in London; and yet at the same time it’s so slight that I can’t get hold of it, can’t lay my hand on it. All I know for sure is that something is missing. Even that shred of understanding is new to me, has come only with this business of the exhibition, and the gathering together of the pictures that it’s involved. Individually, the paintings are whole. Seen together, they are— I can’t understand. I stare at them, frowning, and the colours shift under the intensity of my gaze: change for a moment and are darker, as if a cloud has come over the sky and cut out all the light of the sun— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I deal out the photographs like a fortune-teller arranging the cards, spreading them out on the boards, first to last in a wide arc.のfirst to last in a wide arcの個所がよくわかりません。first to lastは最初から終わりまで、という意味ですか? in a wide arcは幅広の弧を描いて、みたいな意味でしょうか?どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? I sit in their centre, staring, puzzling, trying to see what it is that feels so wrong – so incomplete – about them.のthat feelsのthatは何を指しているのでしょうか?the sense of photographsですか? It’s strong enough to have made it impossible for me to stay any longer in London;の英文の構造がわかりません。 最初のItはThere must be somethingのsomethingですか? to have made itのitはto stay any longer in Londonですか? それは(何かがあるに違いないということは)私がロンドンにこれ以上とどまっているのことを不可能にしたという事に十分強い(理由?)です?? つまりその何かを探しにイタリアに来ないわけにはいかなかった、と言う事でしょうか? Even that shred of understanding is new to me, has come only with this business of the exhibition, and the gathering together of the pictures that it’s involved.のit’s involvedのitも前述のsomethingなのでしょうか? Individually, the paintings are whole. Seen together, they are—のthey are—のところはどういう事が言えずにいる感じなのでしょうか? 個々に、絵は完全(全体?)です。全体として見られて、それらは・・・? I can’t understand.の個所が行替えになっているのですが、何を理解できないと言っているのかが掴めません。Individually, the paintings are wholeの個所のことでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear.(前回の終わりの部分です) I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of it: the suspicion that I might catch it out of the corner of my eye – the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off. I shake my head. There is no hermit any more. There never was a hermit; not a real one. I look up at the sky again. It’s not the time of year for the shooting stars yet; a few months must pass before the Perseids wash through the Earth’s orbit and burn briefly through the high atmosphere. Jamie tells me all about them. We watch them together. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 JamieはAlexの幼友達です。 I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. のところがわかりません。 私は谷の頂上で暗闇を探している。。。私の合図であるウィンクしている緑の光に対して??search for~で熟語になっているような気もするのですが。。。 There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of itの最後のitはthe winking green light ですか? the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off.ここのthe dandelion clockはこの作品のタイトルにもなっているのですが、 ここの英文の意味はどうやってとるのでしょうか?(the dandelion clock はタンポポの綿毛?it is time to set off=出発の時間である? from up byの前置詞が繋がっているところがよくわかりません) thatは関係代名詞でしょうか?先行詞はthe three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clockですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

– these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.(前回の終わりの部分です) In the evening, I try to lose myself in the pictures. I open the case and spread them out on the floor of the sitting room, covering the boards with rectangles of colour. From them, faces look out at me, their features fractured and then regathered, as if seen through a thousand cracked lenses at once. I remember how the critics first called this style of mine a bastardization of cubism; and how later they found in it a fusion of styles that they were pleased to decide broke down the barriers between formal movements in painting; and how finally it became so accepted that now there are younger artists who make their own fusions from it, and find in it new barriers to be broken down. Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry. Right now, I find I hardly care: they all seem so very far away. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I open the case and spread them out on the floor of the sitting room, covering the boards with rectangles of colour.のrectangles of colour.の部分がわかりません。色の長方形??どういうことなのでしょうか? their features fractured and then regatheredというのは、"砕けたものがまた集められている特徴"=主人公の制作した絵についての特徴ですか?(ちょっとどんな絵なのか想像するのが難しいです) how later they found in it a fusion of styles that they were pleased to decide broke down the barriers between formal movements in painting;の内容が難しいです。どんなに後に、批評家たちが決めることを喜んだスタイルの融合をその中に見出し、絵画の中に正式な変化の間に障壁を壊したか、という訳ですか?? 構造としては、decideとbroke downのところは切れているのでしょうか?that以下はthey were pleased to decideまでですか? in itのitはthis style of mineですか? betweenは何かと何かの間を指しているのでしょうか? Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry.とあり、なんとなく、批評家たちが主人公の芸術作品をキュービズムの粗悪化と言ったにも関わらず、実はそうではなかったということに対して笑ったり、怒ったりしている感じがするのですが、 fusionsと barriersとbroke downが具体的にはどういう感じの事をいっているのかがわかりません。fusionsとは? barriersとは?何を融合し、何が障壁なのか? they all seem so very far away.のtheyとはthe critics first called this style of mine a bastardization of cubismとyounger artists ですか? たくさんの質問になってしまってすみません。教えてください。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘Oh. No. Just – places in the valley. With Lena, or the town, or the garden.’ ‘Oh.’ Another pause. ‘Anywhere in the valley, though?’ ‘Just places I know,’ I say, and at that there is a sudden sense that something heavy has shifted – just a little – in my head, moving reluctantly, trying to accommodate what I’ve just said. The questions Jamie is asking aren’t ones anyone’s ever asked me before. I haven’t asked them to myself either. They feel like they’re prodding at me, searching, trying to find me out. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Just places you’ve been?’ he says, his eyes bright. ‘I – I suppose.’ ‘So you’re remembering them,’ he says triumphantly. ‘You know – remembering, like when you remember what you did on Saturday. That’s all.’ He looks pleased at having pieced the puzzle back together, and I am pleased too. But then a look of vague disquiet crosses his face. ‘Only – you really looked strange. Your eyes were open, but you didn’t see me, and you didn’t hear me.’ ‘Yes I did,’ I say, surprised. ‘That’s why I came back.’ We look at the rocks, and the side of the valley beyond them, together. ‘You’re weird,’ he says eventually. I blink. But then he says, ‘I like you, though.’ And my heart skips once, and feels as if it is grinning inside me. ‘I like you too,’ I say. ‘And wouldn’t it be great if you could go anywhere, just in your head – the moon or Mars, or different planets?’ I have never thought about this either. ‘I suppose,’ I say. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 ‘You know – remembering, like when you remember what you did on Saturday. That’s all.’ の That’s all.’ (それがすべてだ?)のセリフがどういうことを言っているのかがわかりません。 He looks pleased at having pieced the puzzle back together, and I am pleased too.のbackは「裏で」といった意味でしょうか?また、I am pleased tooと、主人公もそれを喜んでいるのはどうしてなのでしょうか?? ‘And wouldn’t it be great if you could go anywhere, just in your head – the moon or Mars, or different planets?’ は、訳すと、頭の中で、どこでも、例えば月や火星、その他の惑星に行くことができるとしたら、それはすごいことだよね?ですか?頭の中でそういうことを想像できることがすごい、という意味で言っているのでしょうか? 教えてください。 お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. (前回の終わりの部分です) I look again at her luggage. Bags and suitcases. There is still something about them that draws my attention, but now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify. I stare at them, and can feel myself frowning. Something is – I don’t know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something— I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better. In the next room Anna is naked, and that is what’s bothering me. Because I shouldn’t be thinking of her like that. Because she’s Anna. The suitcases – the suitcases are square and prosaic and dull and incredibly unerotic. That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense. I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。(この場面は回想シーンのように思われます) Something is – I don't know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something—この英文はスーツケースに対してどういうことを思っているということが書かれているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify.のところから気持ちが続いている感じはするのですが。 I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better.のthis one works better.とはどういう意味ですか?壁にふり返って悲しげに笑ってみる、ということがよりよく働く? That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense.のところが難しいのですが、theyはThe suitcasesのことだと思うのですが、the corners of my mindとは頭の角?という意味ですか?cornersのところがよくわかりません。In a way, it all makes perfect sense.ある意味ではそれは完全に意味をなします?の言っている意味はどういうことでしょうか? Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead.の中で主語はないのでしょうか?動詞はpiledですか? casuallyは「何気なく」?  Jamie would have saidについて、Jamie have saidとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I seem to have bought myself time here, and I don’t know quite why I should have wanted to do that. But it’s done now. Perhaps I can call him later in the week; perhaps things will be clearer by then.(前回の終わりの部分です) I sit on the edge of the verandah to eat, and great blue-black bees zoom over the garden while I pile torn pieces of bread high with cheese and salami I’ve bought on the way back from town. I am very hungry. I had nothing to eat last night. Through my head go the things Max said, and especially the questions Julia Connell wants answered. I can’t stop going over them. Why has she picked these things? I can feel my mind floating through the questions, drifting. There is almost a physical sensation. I remember this. I remember it from very, very long ago, and I fight it, pushing it back from me. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I pile torn pieces of bread high with cheese and salamiのhighは、高く、という副詞ですか? Through my head go the things Max said, and especially the questions Julia Connell wants answered. I can’t stop going over them. Why has she picked these things?のthe questions Julia Connell wants answered.の個所ですが、 つまり、Julia Connellが欲しがっている質問には答えた、ということですか?読み方としては、the questions (that Julia Connell wants )answeredになるのでしょうか?質問は答えた?(答えを出したのは自分=Alexだと思うのですが、なぜthe questionが主語になっているのかがわかりません)answerの訳し方が違うのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

On the floor beside me are my things: a case with clothes, another with sketch pads and boards, inks, pens and pencils, charcoal, Conté, tubes of acrylic and watercolour and oils, brushes, linseed oil and turpentine and white spirit, rags and nibs and craft knives. More than I’ll need, I am sure, but I find it difficult to decide what not to take: some part of me hates the decision, and I always end up carrying too much.(前回の終りの部分です) On the other bed are Anna’s bags and cases. I glance at them, and the way the sun is falling across them from the open window makes me think for a moment that they would be good to draw – even if only a quick thumbnail sketch. But I am too lazy and tired. I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. There is a second door through to the bathroom, and from this comes the sound of water hissing on tiles, sometimes constant, sometimes shifting its pitch. I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 I let my eyes go back to the plaster of the wall, which is traced with patterns of age like maps. のwhich is traced with patterns of age like maps.の意味がよくわかりません。地図のような年代のパターンでトレースされた、ですか?どんな感じなのでしょうか? The room is very tall and light, with a high doorway and high, shuttered windows, the shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon. のthe shutters now hooked back to let in the afternoon.の意味がわかりません。シャッターは今後ろに引っ掛けられています?to let in the afternoon?? I realize after listening for a while that the changes must be Anna moving about under the flow, blocking it more and less from moment to moment with her body.のthe changes must be Anna ~の個所が抽象的なのかなんなのか、全然意味が掴めません。(blocking it のitはthe changesなのでしょうか?) 小説における表現を読み取るのが難しいです。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Jamie is nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. It is warm and I feel lazy and happy.(前回の終わりの部分です) Lena and I go for a walk up the valley. Sometimes we do this, though not often; more usually our walks take us down, to the shops and the central square and the piglets and the drinking-fountain. I like the drinking-fountain a lot. The bronze lion’s head, with its snarlingly open mouth and constant stream of bright water, entrances me. Even when we are sitting at Toni’s waiting for ice-creams and Cokes, I keep my eye on it. This afternoon, though, we go further along the road, and then, once we are quite far from the town, down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms. Lena is telling me stories, too – some of which I’ve heard before and know almost by heart – and keeping her eyes open for wild herbs growing by the track: sage, sorrel and thyme, to pick and use in the kitchen. A bunch of wild myrtle hung at the window will keep the flies away. I go happily along with her, sometimes running ahead and waiting for her to catch me up, sometimes carrying her basket for her. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は現在からまた過去のシーンに戻っているように思われます。 Sometimes we do this, though not often; more usually our walks take us down, to the shops and the central square and the piglets and the drinking-fountain.の中に、the pigletsとあるのですが、子豚、という意味ですか? the central squareは中央広場、the drinking-fountainは噴水式水飲み器だと思うのですが、そこにthe pigletsが出てくるのがわかりません。 This afternoon, though, we go further along the road, and then, once we are quite far from the town, down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms. の中に出てくるonceは、once we are quite far from the town,は”一度”、Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms.は”かつて”の意味ですか? down a side-track that Lena says once led to one of the outlying farms.についてですが、ledの主語はa side-trackですか?Lenaが言うかつて遠くの農場の一つに導いた側線を下り?(a side-trackとは鉄道に関する線のことですか?) 教えてください。お願いします。