• ベストアンサー

どう理解すればいいでしょうか?

They concluded that he would be able to glide pretty well, but would crash at high speed and die once he tried to land. "dieの後once he tried to land."この部分がなんで過去形なのでしょうか? once he try to land.だと何がどう変わるのでしょうか? If he tried to land he would die. と考えればいいのでしょうか? 過去形の未来仮定?? よくわかりません どうぞよろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

一種の時制の一致というものですが, 英語では過去のことは過去形で表わす。 昨夜のことを I had dinner before I took a bath. 日本語では「入浴する前に夕食を食べた」 before の部分は「~する前」だけど, 英語では過去形。 日本語では「まだしていないうちに」という感覚で 「~する前」となる。 英語ではそれが過去のこととなれば ともに過去形にしないといけません。 こういう感覚が常に働きますので, concluded が過去。 昨日のことか,先月のことか,あるストーリー上のことか。 その時に conclude した。 その過去のことについて述べているので would をまず使う。 will は今から見た未来。 過去の時点を起点として,そこからの未来が would これも will の時制の一致と説明されます。 concluded した過去の時点からみてその後が would です。 once he tries to ~ 今目の前について,現在についてであれば 「いったん彼が~しようとしたら」 まだこれからのことでも現在形。 このことが過去について, 過去の時に話し手が思ったのであれば, 英語では時制の一致で tried という過去形になります。 once の後では will が使えないので, 今目の前で展開していることなら once he tries to ~ でも concluded とある通り,過去のことだから tried to となります。 どうしても日本語だと,直接話法的に目の前で展開している というイメージになるので,こういう過去形はわかりにくいです。 「未来的要素」が入ると考えるとなおさらわかりにくいと思います。

mermaid1122
質問者

お礼

wind-sky-wind様 丁寧に回答していただきありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (7) Tiberius was elected a tribune of the people in 133 BCE. This office was first established to protect the plebeians, but later tribunes used it to advance their own careers. And as soon as Tiberius took office, he set to work for the rights of the plebes. The aristocrats in the Senate claimed that he was interested only in his own glory, but Tiberius denied it. He said that a trip through northern Italy had showed him how desperate the peasants really were. “The men who fight and die for Italy have only air and light. Without house or home, they wander with their wives and children in the open air.... They fight and die for the luxury and riches of others.” Tiberius insisted that Rome should give the land it gained through war to the poor. Conquered territory became state land. Technically, it belonged to Rome, but if wealthy citizens paid a small tax, they were allowed to farm it as their own. In this way most of the conquered territory passed into the hands of those who needed it least─the rich. Some aristocrats, including many senators, got tens of thousands of acres in this way. They used slave labor to work the land and made huge profits. (8) Tiberius made up his mind to change this law. He proposed that no one─no matter who his ancestors were─should be allowed to keep more than 300 acres of state land. The rest should be given to the poor. Once the homeless had land, he reasoned, they would be able to support themselves. They would no longer roam the cities in angry, hungry mobs. And, as landowners, they would be eligible to serve in the army. This would help the people, help the army, and help Rome─a “win” for everyone. But most of the senators stood against Tiberius, and it's easy to see why. His proposed law would rob them of the huge profits that they had enjoyed for so long.

• 和訳をお願いします。

In the early summer of 1492, three ships left Spain. The crew were apprehansive because they didn't know where they were going. The captain didn't tell them where they would land.Columbus told his crew that they would be arriving in Asia in a few months. He had no idea he was going to land on another continent-a land that didn't appear on European maps. 少し長いですが、特にwould....,とwas going toの訳がいまいちわかりません。訳せる方よろしくお願いします。

• 受動態と助動詞と完了形の問題です。

日本文の意味になるようにかっこに適語を入れてください。 (1)彼は35年間医者をしている。 He ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )for 35 years. (2)どこに行っていたのですか? Where ( ) ( ) ( )? 日本文の意味を表すようにかっこの語を並び替えてください。 (1)あなたが来られるものと思っていましたが(来られませんでしたね。) (that/ to/ we/ be/would/ hoped/ you/ had/ able/ come). 同じ意味になるようにかっこに適語を入れてください。 (1)Tom lost his pen, and he does not have it now. →Tom ( )( ) his pen. (2)It is better for me to drive slowly. →I ( )( ) drive slowly. (3)He is a very good swimmer. →He ( ) ( ) very well. 次の各文の指示に従って書き換えてください。 (1) The news was a great surprise to me. (Iで始めて同じ意味の文にして下さい。) (2) We all know him well. (Heを主語にして同じ意味の文にして下さい。) (3) What language must they use at the meeting? (受動態にして下さい。) これを解いてみると、 (1)has been being doctor (2)have you been (1)I had hoped that you would be able to come. (1)had lost (2)had better (3)can swim (1)I was a great surprise to by the news. (2)He is known well by us all. (3)What language was they must be used at the meeting? になりました。間違いがあれば、訂正も含めて教えてくれませんか?

• 英文の添削

さあ、泳ぐときですよ。 は Now it's time to swim. となるようなのですが、「今が泳ぐときです。」と言い換えて It's time to swim now. とすると文章のニュアンスは変わってしまうのでしょうか? もうひとつお願いします。 彼は何回も走ろうとしました。 は He tried to run many times. なんですが、 He always try to run. のようにalwaysは動詞の前に入るので、 He many times tried to run. としてはいけないのでしょうか? お願いします。

• try to doとtry doingのちがい

現在形 try to do しようと努力する(まだしていない) try doingためしにやってみる(まだしていない) 過去形 tried to doしようと努力した(まだしていない) tried doingためしにやってみた(すでにした) 未来形 will try to doしようと努力するつもりです。 will try doingためしにやってみるつもりです。 結局、過去形以外はなにがちがうかピンときません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 高校1年 仮定法の模範解答を教えてください。

(1)AS I have no money ,I can’t buy a car.  If I(    ) money ,buy a car. (2)I wish he were my brother.  I’m sorry he (    )my brother. (3)As he helped me ,I was able to finish the homework.  (    )his help ,I could not (    )(    )the homework. (4)As I could swim well,I was not drowned.  If I had not been able to swim well,I (    )(    )been drowned. (5)I’m sorry (    )I can’t go with you  How I (    )I (    )go with you. (6)I was unable to buy the car for lack of money.  I could have bought the car if I(    )(    ) enough money. (7)I am (    )I cannot speak English as well as you.  I wish I (    )speak English as well as you. (8)If he were to lose his position,what would he do?  (    )(    )to lose his position,what would he do? (9)(    )you did not help him ,he failed.  (    )your help,he would have succeeded . (10)His carelessness caused the accident.  If he had been more(    ) ,the accident would not have (    ).    以上、よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳をお願いします。

It happened that I myself was able to discover the law by a piece of mathematical research that I once did myself. 私自身がかつて数学の研究のひとつから法則を発見できたことがたまたまあった。 he may well supply his past victories and pleasures with which to comfort himself. 彼を慰めてくれる過去の勝利や喜びを、供給するのはもっともだ。 きれいな訳は必要ないのですが、間違っているところがあると思うのですがそれを直していただきたいです。 あと二つ目の文の、supplyがどんな感じなのか全然わかりません。 よろしくおねがいいたしますm(__)m

• 聞き取りの質問です

He tried to 【struck】 them by juggling apples. と聞こえます 【】の中について、正しくはなんと話しているのか教えてください。 struckを辞書で調べると、動詞の過去形・過去分詞と、形容詞が載っていました。 動詞の後に形容詞が続くことは文法的に無いと思いました。 前にあるtryが動詞なので、to+不定詞だとすると動詞の原型になると思うのですが、strikeではなくstruckに聞こえます。 それともstrikeと言ってるのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• この文っておかしくないですか?

If he would simply listen to his subordinates, they would be more cohesioni his department. この一文のif節の中のwouldがわかりません。これって間違いじゃないのでしょうか? 仮定法過去はif節の中は一般動詞の過去形かwereなはずですよね?これはどうなっているのでしょうか?混乱しています。よろしくお願いします。

• If he were to fail

If he were to fail, he would try again. 万一失敗すれば、彼はまたやるだろう If he failedとは言えないのでしょうか?もし言える場合は、意味が違ってくるのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします