The Measure of Firm's Recovery from Financial Difficulties

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the structure of the following English sentence: The measure of how well the firm has recovered from its financial difficulties will be clear early next week, when reports on profits are disclosed.
  • This sentence raises a few questions: 1) Are there two verbs, 'has recovered' and 'will be'? 2) What is the relationship between 'the measure of how well' and 'the firm'? Are they describing each other or are they parallel nouns? 3) What does 'the measure of how well' mean?
  • Stay tuned to discover the answers to these questions and gain a better understanding of the sentence's structure and meaning.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

次の英文の構造を教えてください

The measure of how well the firm has recovered from its financial difficulties will be clear early next week, when reports on profits are disclosed. 特に疑問に思っている点は、以下 1、動詞がhas recovered と will be と二つあるのではないか 2、the measure of how well と the firmの関係性。the firmをthe measure of how wellが修飾しているのか?それとも、名詞が名詞を説明している。だから、the measure of how well とthe firmは同じものか?名詞を並列させる同格の用法なのか? 3、the measure of how well の意味その物がわからない。 以上です。よろしくお願いします

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

the measure of 名詞で「名詞を測る道具・ものさし」あるいは「名詞の程度」 how well the firm has recovered from its financial difficulties はいわゆる間接疑問文。 how 形・副 SV という肯定文の順序で名詞節として 「どれくらい~なのか」 その会社が経済的困窮からどれくらい十分立ち直ったか The measure of how well the firm has recovered from its financial difficulties までで主語となります。 どの程度,その会社が経済的困難から立ち直ったかということは will be clear ~と続き, 来週早々,すなわち収益に関する報告が公開される際に,はっきりとわかるだろう。 間接疑問文というのは疑問詞を用いながら,肯定文の語順で名詞的な役割を果たすもので 名詞節の一種です。 I know where he lives.「彼がどこに住んでいるか知っている」 where he lives で know の目的語。 今回は how well という how ~「どれくらい~」という疑問詞について how well SV という肯定文の語順で「どれくらい十分~か」という間接疑問。 I know how old he is.「彼が何歳か知っている」 この how well SV が前置詞 of の後に来ています。 だから,the measure of how well と切るのでなく, the measure of (how well SV) と切れます。

mdfdq495
質問者

お礼

親切丁寧な回答ありがとうございます。 関節疑問文の用法は知っていたのですが、Howを用いたものは、改めて知りました。 なので、I know where he lives.「彼がどこに住んでいるか知っている」の例えやI know how old he is.「彼が何歳か知っている」の例えは、わかりやすかったです。 また、何かありましたらよろしくお願いします

その他の回答 (1)

• Oubli
  • ベストアンサー率31% (744/2384)
回答No.2

The measure of [the way] how well の先行詞the wayが省略されていると考えた方がいいです。the way howとかthe reason whyだと先行詞か関係副詞のどちらかが省略される方が普通です。例文ではhow wellですからこちらは省略できず、先行詞が省略されたのだと思います。

関連するQ&A

• この英文を文法的に教えて

NHKの英語ニュースの一部です。The content of the talks has yet to be disclosed.とあり、意味は「話し合いの内容は、まだ明らかにされていない」ということだと思いますが、has yet to be の部分が 文法的に理解できません。完了形とも違うようですし。どなたか教えてください。

• 次の英文の訳をお願いします

Lindner's Educational Publishing is organizing a promotional event to take place on March 11. And, as one of our most valued customers, you are invited to celebrate with us! The event will be held in the conference room of the Benton Hotel. All of our employees will be attenfding, as will several of our investors and customers, like yourself. The purpose of the gathering will be to introduce our newest line of educational books for elementary students. We feel that this series has potential to become one of our best sellers! Please see the attached sales packet for more information on this exciting series. If you would like to join us on March 11, please call Mr. Nacy in our customer relations office at 39-46

• 英文翻訳お願いします。助けて!

Dear Taku, Pls see the attachment for the Specs received from the Supplier and refer to our email correspondence with them below. They have confirmed that they will work with us and supply, no problem. As discussed on phone, pls advise how we will be able to secure our interest from your side as we will be introducing to the manufacturer directly whereby you will be able to negotiate on prices and shipments. We will advise you the mode of payment for this transaction, TT preferably or LC ( Letter Of Credit ). We will advise the travel plans once we secure firm offer from our manufacturer. Best Regards, Goldy As discussed on phone, pls advise how will we be bale t

• 英文構造について

高2です What you have to learn, if you are to be a good citizen of the world, is that though you will certainly dislike many of your neighbours, and differ from some of them so strongly that you could not possibly live in the same house with them, that does not give you the smallest right to injure them or even to be personally uncivil to them. (よい社会人となるために学ばなければならないことは、たとえきっと隣人の多くを好きになることができず、そのある人たちとはとうてい一つ屋根の下に住むことができないほど違っていても、だからといって、その人たちを傷つける、いやその人たちに失礼な態度をとる権利さえも少しも与えられることにはならないということである) という文で •SVCのCはどこか(S,Vはわかります) •if節、are to be は be to 不定詞なのか、不定詞の名詞用法なのか •though の修飾はどこなのか •a good citizen of the world でなぜ"よき社会人"と訳すのか、意訳のポイントがあればお願いします •のうちの一つへの回答でも結構です よろしくお願いします

• 英文構造解釈について

In 1917, William Marston, an American psychologist, invented the first true polygraph, a lie detecting instrument based on the old assumption that a person guilty of lying will, when asked incriminating questions, exhibit strong emotional reactions accompanied by detectable physiological responses. テキストから抜粋した上記の長い一文ですが、まずexhibitはどこにかかっているのでしょうか。強い感情的な反応を示す、とありますのでpolygraphにかかると思いますが、そのpolygraphは分詞の中にしかありません。主語がどこかという質問にも言い換えられるかと思います。 もう一つ、 同格のa lie detecting instrument based on the old assumption that a person guilty of lying willの中のthat以降、関係代名詞ですが、これはどのような構造になっているのでしょうか。目的格だと推察されますが、この場合はwillは動詞として使われどのような意味を持ちますか。 以上2点、回答の程宜しくお願い致します。

• この場合のmucnは代名詞扱いですか?

この場合のmucnは代名詞扱いですか? How much of this repair bill will be coverd by insurance? 

• 次の英文の訳をお願いします

Isabella Rodriguez will soon be promoted to the position of senior vice president for Research and Development. She has been a dedicated member of this company for thirteen years, and I am confident that she will continue to help make Smithsonian Pharmaceutical the number one brand in child medicine. Ms.Rom has worked for the past five years as scince team manager. She has increased the efficiency of that department by 35% ,enabling us to produce a steady flow of innovative medicines. As the head of R&D ,she plans to perform a thorough analysis of all the departments operations and make chenges to insure that no resources are wasted. Please join me and the rest of the administrative staff at 2:00 today in the cafeteria to celebrate the promotion of Ms,Rom.

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入しようとしています。数週間たちましたが見積もりや送料の提示がないので、まだですか?と相手に質問しました。その返答です。 なんとなくはわかりましたが詳しい方教えてくれませんか?お願いします。 I will be posting your order for labelling first. There have been some changes since Becki has left and we are very short of the warehouse staff who are too busy to put the labels themselves. I understand that you will be paying the shipping to us as well. I will be hopefully posting everything today and can get it back on Monday. In the meantime I will be finding out the exact cost of shipping.

• 受験生です。次の英文の構造を教えてください。

国立大志望です。 問題を解いているのですが、構造が難しくて解けませんでした。 次の文章の構造を教えてください。 お願いします。 A further question in the interview asked what degree of responsibility the government has to insure high employment. Replied Professor Samuelson: "I think I would say simply that the American people have expressed the choice that it is their concern to see that large departures from high employment will not be tolerated... (中略)I think of public policy as a way in which we organize our affairs, and so I do think it is part of fiscal responsibility and monetary-policy responsibility to be discontented with the sort of unemployment we had in the prewar decade, and with the sort of exuberant booms leading to crises and panics that we have had throughout the history of our capitalistic system." 分からない所は特に Pサミュエルソンの会話前半部分における「choice that it is their concern...」部分より後ろの構造と 後半部分における「it is part of...to be discontented」部分の構造です。 Pサミュエルソンが話している内容部分でとりあえず作った訳です。 アメリカ人は雇用が多い状態からのスタートは耐えられないという事を知る事はアメリカ人自身に関係があるという選択を明らかにすると単純に言いたいと思う。私は決して、私たちが私たち自身の環境を作る1つの方法として公的政策をみなし、そして私たちが戦前の十年間体験した雇用の無い状態や資本主義システムの歴史で全般的に経験してきた、危機とパニックをもたらすバブルの状態に不満足であることは、金融への責任、金融政策への責任の一部だと私はまさにそのように思う。 全く意味が分かりません。 助けてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語できる方、教えてください。。。

このthatは同格?それとも関係代名詞でしょうか? 分からなくてどう訳していいのか困っています。 accurate prediction is unlikely but also maintains that the fortunes of the language will be linked to economic changes across the world.