The Problem with Physics

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The practical side of physics is often emphasized at the expense of the interesting side.
  • Even technical disciplines like engineering and computer science tend to focus on basic concepts rather than exploring more fascinating areas.
  • This is unfortunate, as there has been little cutting-edge research on pulleys in recent years.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

<2011年度・京都大学の英語の第2問>

以下の英文は、京都大学で出題された下線部和訳問題です。 〔英文〕 The problem,as we see it,is that the practical side of physics is alomost always put forward at the expense of the interesting side.Even folks with technical focuses such as engineering and computer science typically don't get past mechanics and electromagnetism to the really fun stuff.And that's a shame,because quite frankly there has been very little cutting-edge research done on pulleys in the past few years. 〔和訳〕 私達が見たところ、問題なのは、ほとんど例外なく、物理学の実用的な面が面白い面を犠牲にして前面に押し出されるている、ということである。工学や計算機科学といった科学技術を専門にしている人々でさえ、概して、力学や電磁気から進んで、本当に面白い領域にまで達していないのである。 の部分までは、自分なりに和訳をして、内容把握は出来たつもりです。 しかし、この後に続く、 『And that's a shame,because quite frankly there has been very little cutting-edge research done on pulleys in the past few years.』の文脈への流れが掴めません。 cutting-edge は、形容詞で、最前線の pulleysは、名詞で滑車!?なのでしょうか? ・・・上手く英文和訳が出来ないうえに、内容把握が出来ていません。 英語に精通されている方、ご教授宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#145074
noname#145074
回答No.1

訳された部分で「力学や電磁気から進んで"past mechanics and electromagnetism"」では「力学や電磁気の分野も学習・経験して」という意味を暗示していますが、実はそうではなく"past ~"は「~を通り越して(~を学習・経験せず)」ということでしょう。 >pulleysは、名詞で滑車!?なのでしょうか? ●意味は「滑車」であっているのですが、これは"metaphor隠喩"であって上記の通り過ぎた分野「力学や電磁気の分野」の比喩なのです。 ●つまり以下のような対比があるのです。 the practical side of physics⇔he interesting side 「物理学の実用的な面」⇔「面白い面」 engineering and computer science⇔mechanics and electromagnetism(=the really fun stuff) 「工学や計算機科学」⇔「力学や電磁気(=本当に面白い領域)」 cutting-edge research⇔pulleys(比較のカテゴリーとしての階層は違いますが関係は合っています。) 「最前線の研究」⇔「滑車」 ●『And that's a shame,because quite frankly there has been very little cutting-edge research done on pulleys in the past few years.』 「そしてそれは残念なことである。なぜならば、かなり率直に言って、過去数年を経て滑車(のような古典的な分野)には最先端の研究はほとんどと言っていいほどなされていないからである。」 とでもなりましょうか。 ★"metaphor隠喩"と"simile直喩"の勉強、特に前者は隠れた部分の解釈が必要となってきますので、ご注意されるべくアドバイス差し上げます。

ROJIN-A
質問者

お礼

なるほど...『Metaphor、隠喩』ですか。 「工学や計算機科学」⇔「力学や電磁気(=本当に面白い領域)」の対比。 そして、 【名詞・Pulleys・「滑車」】に、(滑車のような古典的な分野=物理学=力学や電磁気学)というメタファーが隠れている。 ということが理解できました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語 教えて下さい

(1)There are a number of layoffs in the auto industry recently. (2)Big changes had taken place in Europe's social and political life ---and in its technology --- during the past few years. They are certain to reshape life in the future. (1)と(2)の英文に誤った表現がひとつずつあるのですが、よく分かりません。なぜそこが間違っているのか理由も添えて教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• didで質問なのに完了形

Didn't you organize the employee picnic last year? I have done it the past seven years. という英文があるんですが1つでもいいので教えて下さい。 1,didで質問しているのにyes i didなどdidで答えないでいいのか? 2,I have done it the past seven years.この文の文系を教えて下さい I(s) have done(V) it(o) the past seven years(C).ですか? よろしくお願いします

• 大学入試問題 英語

赤本をやっていて、文の構造が分からないものがあったので教えてください。 O’Brien the population is quite unstable, with people rarely staying more than a few years and tending (あ) strong links. (あ)に入るものは  (1)not to form (2)to form のどちらか。 長文問題の中の一文を抜粋したので、分かりにくかったらすみません。 私は、rarelyがtendingにもかかっていると思って(2)にしましたが、解答は(1)でした。rarelyがどこまでかかっているのかよく分からないので教えて下さい。

• 英語 教えて下さい

Big changes had taken place in Europe's social and political life ---and in its technology --- during the past few years. They are certain to reshape life in the future. (1)Big changes (2)had taken place (3) its technology (4) are certain to この文章に含まれている誤った表現を(1)~(4)の中で撰んでください。理由も兼ねて教えていただけると嬉しいです。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします

次の英文を和訳して下さい It‘s a go past of your love, just a little bit of gap.

• 英文の邦訳

While some actively managed funds will outperform the benchmarks, over the medium to long term few will, so the movement up the ranks of some firms past others little reflects differences in performance outcomes achieved for clients. 上記英文の和訳をお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

以下の英文を和訳して下さい。 ………………………………………………………. Please describe the communities and/or places that your research could benefit, and how?

• 和訳お願いします。

和訳したいのですが、長文のため上手く訳せません。 英語の得意な方、意味の通る訳をお願いします。 You can get many things delivered these days, from pizza to house cleaning, but most people probably don't think of cutting-edge science lectures as one thing that's available.

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

Stone Temple Pilots bassist Robert DeLeo discussed firing Scott Weiland and the state of Stone Temple Pilots in a new interview with NorthJersey.com, “I had to look at the past 10 years of what STP has done, or hasn't done, and we all decided that we don't want to spend the next 10 years like that.” “We have a lot to prove right now,” said DeLeo regarding STP's new Chester Bennington fronted lineup. “People have a certain idea of who the face of the band is and that that person does everything. That's not the case.”

• onto the issue at hand

(相談投稿)Hi Doc, First of all I want to say you’ve been a great help to me in the past few years. Thank you for the work you’ve done! So onto the issue at hand: 以下、相談内容 ここでのontoはどのような役割(意味)なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします