• 締切済み

次の英文の文法的な説明をお願いいたします。

【質問文】 We have also acted as a direct supplier to the retail industry, and are presently under contrat to make products for the defense industry. 本文の主語は“We”で、動詞が“have acted”と“are”だと認識しております。 [We] [have (also) acted] (as a direct supplier) (to the retail industry), and [are] (presently under contrat) (to make products) (for the defense industry). そして、 “, and”の前の文章は 「当社は、小売業界への直接的な提供者としての活動をしてきました。」 “, and”から後ろの文章は 「そして、(当社は)現在、契約に基づいて防衛産業のための製品を作っています。」 と意訳はなんとなくできます。 しかし、文法的に納得いかない箇所があるので、分かる方いらっしゃいましたら、解説をお願いいたします。 その納得行かない箇所というのは“to make products”の部分で、どこに係っているのかが分からないのです。 (1)contractという名詞に係っている場合 「防衛産業のための製品を作る契約に基づいています。」と直訳すると思います。 その場合、第一文(We have also acted ~ to the retail industry)と意味が繋がらないので、違和感を感じます。 (2)areという動詞に係り、be + to 不定詞形の場合 意味を通すためには、(presently under contrat:契約に基づいて)という部分が副詞句で、be + to 不定詞形を構成していると考えれば納得できます。 しかし、“presently under contrat”とうい句がbe + to 不定詞の間に入るのは文法的にありえるのでしょうか? 質問が下手で申し訳ありませんが、本文の後半部の(and are presently under contrat to make products for the defense industry.)がどうしても理解できない(特にto make productsの部分が)ので、分かる方いらっしゃいましたら、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

回答No.3

are (presently) under contract の部分の構造を勘違いされていると思います。 このareは、「いる、ある」の意味で、to以下の係り方は、(1)の方、 (現在) ~する契約の下にある ⇒ ~する契約中である、 ととれば、何も問題ありません。 下の辞書の、(名)1a の用例をご覧ください。 http://www.excite.co.jp/dictionary/english_japanese/?search=contract&match=beginswith&dictionary=NEW_EJJE&block=36357&offset=1480&title=contract

• poporo11
  • ベストアンサー率51% (17/33)
回答No.2

連続投稿してしまいすみません。補足です。 動詞が名詞化した場合、動詞だった時に使われていた前置詞や句(to do あるいは doing)と同じものが、名詞化しても使われることがほとんどです。 例えば、dependという動詞では、依存の対象はonで表しますが、 名詞dependenceになっても同じく対象はonのままです。 普段、動詞のほうを目にする頻度が多い場合、名詞形が出てくると、前置詞に戸惑ってしまいま すが、考え方は同じです。 今回の文章で、contract以下の部分を直訳しますと、 「防衛産業のための製品を作るという契約」となり、 不定詞としては形容詞的用法になりますが、これはcontractに対する慣用、コロケーション(連語、語結合)と考えられたほうが簡便で、どんな名詞にも必ず、特有の用法があるので、 一つ一つの名詞に対して、出てくる度に用法を覚えられると良いでしょう。

• poporo11
  • ベストアンサー率51% (17/33)
回答No.1

このtoは不定詞としてどうこうというよりも、慣用です。 名詞contractは、 「~する契約」という意味を表現したい場合、to doで表すという用法を持っています。 ジーニアスなどの辞書で調べてみてください。一番に載っているはずです。 名詞contractが、toを連れてきたと思ってください。

関連するQ&A

• 次の英文を翻訳してください。

Great job oo! Thank you for helping me get this book also. If there are other ways you would like to learn I have worksheets and will help any way I can. Just let me know what you want to learn and we will go from there. I am looking forward to another lesson tomorrow! よろしくお願いします。

• 英文を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。そこはすぐ売り切れるので再入荷の情報などについて質問していました。回答がきたんですがちょっと意味がわかりません。すみませんが意味を教えてください。お願いします。 We have not produced additional products for the indicated designs. These are just products that we have them in stock. I’ll inform you if receive any of those products back. And yes, we don’t have many in stock but you can definitely add to your next order. Just let me know which ones and how many you wish to order.

• 英文の翻訳お願いします。

靴をの宣伝のメールだと思いますが大変でも翻訳お願いします。 Do you think you could start selling some our ‘nicks Boots’? They are hand lasted but the pricing is closer to $320-350 retail. I have some samples if you would like to take a look. We’re able to do oxfords in 3, 4 and 5” heights, different colored upper stitching and sole stitching and we also have a 5” lace to toe model. Let me know if you’re interested, I can send you some detailed pictures.

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

Most institutions in the United States have tutorial support available for students. Sometimes the tutorial support is located in one place and sometimes there may be more than one place students can go to get help. Typically, peer tutors are available to help with studying for tests, problem solving, difficult homework assignments and writing. At most institutions, this service is free. Some institutions also have this support available on line.  Writing at American institutions is very different. Professors pay attention to plagiarism and also are very particular about formatting requirements. Plagiarism is a serious offense and can even result in expulsion from an institution. You should always credit the source whenever you use someone else's ideas in a paper. Typically, Professors will ask students to write in either the APA or the MLA format. These formatting requirements are complex and can change from year to year. These are all reasons why it is helpful to have a peer tutor look at your writing. Tutors can help you with formatting requirements and also help make sure you are not plagiarizing when you are writing. Most students do not intend to plagiarize, so it is very important to understand exactly what plagiarism is.

• 文法

次の文章の文法は合ってますか? Those who have sleep difficulties are likely to not only have depression or irritability but also use marijuana and alcohol frequently.

• 英文法

Among the choices we can make is to have strong and deep relationships with other people. という英文でAmong the choices we can make が主語だと思うのですが、文法的に説明してください。 we can make among the choices と並びかえると、we の前に何かが省略されているのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします

• 英文和訳をお願いします。

The third things to say is: we need to understand what we now call the core competencies of your organization. What are we really good at? That also requires something you shouldn’t do. You probably, by now, all have beautiful methods of capital allocation. Before you make a decision to invest, you make thirty studies and you may be advance enough to use all four ways we know to analyze a capital investment. When I started business almost 70 years ago, we used these methods which were in every book, but we could not apply them because it would have required hundred of clerks.

• 英文和訳について。(2)

If we are to be alert and independent, as in a democracy we ought to be, we have to look critically at the content and methods we are used to as well as those which we have decided are not our kind. 『たとえ私たちが用心深く、独立していたとしても、私たちがあった方がいいと思う民主主義において、私たち決めた人々だけでなく慣れ親しんだ内容や方法に注意深く観察しなければならないことは親切でないのである。』 うまく訳すことができませんでした。 この英文の構造、熟語・構文等の解説をよろしくお願いします。 前文↓ http://okwave.jp/qa2833523.html

• 英文を訳していただけませんか?

We are looking for an au pair to expose our wonderful children (1,7 and 9) to japan. We already have a nanny, so this is a true au pair experience. We have a lovely townhome to share and, if you are interested in film, my wife is a producer and would be willing to get you involved in her films. 英語が得意な方、日本語に訳してほしいです。

• 次の英文が訳せません。

He said that he was acquainted with someone who could put an end to the blackmail and then the event that this person solved a little problem he asked if we are willing to make a congribution to Tom. 「彼はこの脅迫を終結できる人物と知り合いであり、もしその人物がそれを解決できたら、トムに賄賂を渡して欲しいと言ってきた」 という様なニュアンスになると思うのですが、文法的に理解できません。 まず、 (1)He said that he was acquainted with someone who could put an end to the blackmail 「彼はこの脅迫を終結することができる人物と知り合いであり」 までは、よろしいでしょうか。 次に (2)and then the event that this person solved a little problem ここが分からないのです。eventの直後のthatは関係代名詞だと思うのですが、 だとしますと、solveにはthe eventとa little problemという、2つの目的語があるように思われるのですが、辞書で調べてもsolveには第3文型までしかありませんでした。 もしかして、この(2)は非文で、編集者の方のミスということは考えられませんでしょうか? 音声CDもあるのですが、実際and then the eventのthenの部分がこもっててよく聞こえませんでした。つまり、thenではない可能性があると思うのです。 そして (3)he asked if we are willing to make a congribution to Tom トムに賄賂を渡すつもりはあるかどうか尋ねた ここはよろしいでしょうか。 長文失礼致しました。 お力添えを、何卒宜しくお願い致します。