夫の証言から明らかになる家の不自然な暗さ

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 事件当日、妻が殺された後、容疑者となった夫が証言した内容から、家が不自然に暗かったことがわかります。
  • 夫が事件当日、家に帰ると、いつも明るいはずの家が暗くなっていたことに気付きました。
  • 夫は妻がいつも電気をつける習慣があり、自分はいつも消す習慣があったため、家が暗いことに戸惑っていました。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

ドラマの台詞です

妻が殺され、容疑者になった夫が事情聴取で事件当日のことを語ってる部分です。 I got off at 5:20. Drove home. Stopped for gas. It was winter, you know...... So by the time I pulled into the driveway, it was dark. That was the thing. I walked into the house and house was dark. I mean, our house is never dark. She was always turning lights on. I always shutting them off. Took my eyes a minute to adjust. Even then... I mean, I was just. like... この台詞で She was always turning lights on. I always shutting them off. は、過去進行形が使われてますが、 1、当時の日課を表している 2、当時の繰り返される動作に対する話し手の困惑などの感情を表している どちらかわかりません。 恐らく、 She always turned lights on. I always shut them off. では、表現できないニュアンスがあるのかな、と思っています。 宜しくお願いします。

• sfsf4
  • お礼率74% (129/173)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cincinnati
  • ベストアンサー率46% (606/1293)
回答No.2

ここに書かれていることだけを読みますと、夫は犯人のような気がしてきます。特にご質問の部分は夫が妻を殺したあとに電気を消したという状況が想起されます。語るに落ちたということでしょうか。また質問者の方が述べているように「当時の日課として」夫が伝えたかったのですが、実はいつも妻は電気をつけっぱなしで、いくら俺が消して回ってもまた付けておくような女なのだと「イライラしているような」状況が思い浮かびます。もちろん内にあることをさとられないようにおそらく笑顔で供述していたのではないでしょうか。 つまりこの夫婦は仲がわるく、電気の付け忘れなど些細なことで互いにイラついているような夫婦だったのだと思います。従いまして、回答は1でもあり、2でもあるのだろうと推察します。 She always turned lights on. I always shut them off.この文章だと夫の妻に対する悪い感情は薄れてしまいますが、夫は実はこの文章のように供述すれば自分が犯人であるという印象を与えずに済んだと思います。

sfsf4
質問者

お礼

すみません。 これだけだと情報が不十分ですよね。 容疑者の夫は悲しそうな顔をしながら、事情聴取で事件当日、仕事を終え家に帰った時に妻の死体を見つけた時の一連の話をします。 台詞が長かったので、途中でカットしたのが問題でした。この部分のパートの台詞は下の通りです。 I got off at 5:20. Drove home. Stopped for gas. It was winter, you know...... So by the time I pulled into the driveway, it was dark. That was the thing. I walked into the house and house was dark. I mean, our house is never dark. She was always turning lights on. I was always shutting them off. Took my eyes a minute to adjust. Even then... I mean, I was just. like... I saw a shape. On the floor. Just like a mound. I thought maybe she'd rolled a rug up. Then I got closer and I realized it was her. It was my wife. I couldn't figure out what she was doing there on the floor... on her side. I said something to her but she didn't say nothing back. Didn't move. Nothing. Then I turned the light on and I saw the blood. I was standing in it, actually. I was standing in her blood, and I didn't even know it. 夫は犯人ぽくなかったのですが、cincinnatiさんの予想通り、夫でした。

その他の回答 (1)

• ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.1

すみません、そもそも1と2の違いがあまりよくわからないのですが…。直訳すると「彼女は、いつでも明りをつけ続けていた。私はその明りをいつでも消し続けていた」です。言っていることはそれだけです。それ以外に何も言っていません。 それ以外に関しては、視聴者の解釈の問題です。「彼女は、いつでも明りをつけ続けていた。私はその明りをいつでも消し続けていた」と聞いて『なるほど、日課だったのだな』と思う視聴者もいるだろうし、『なるほど、しょっちゅう、そんな動作を繰り返したいたのだな。きっとかくかくしかじかな気持ちだったのだろう』と思う視聴者もいるでしょう。 では、私がこれを読んで何を思うか。あくまでも私の読後感です。私には配偶者がいます。配偶者というのは、親密なようでいて元は赤の他人ですから、毎日、一緒に暮らしていると、なにかとぶつかり合います。例えば妻は家を明るくするのが好きで、使わない部屋でもどんどん明かりをつけるが、夫はそれを無駄遣いだと判断して、妻が点灯したものを消して歩く、なんてことは、よくあると思います。鬱陶しい作業です。いたちごっこです。そのたびに「なんで、あいつは点けるんだ」「なぜ、あの人は消したがるのかしら」と苛立ちが生じます。でも、そんな苛立ちが毎度毎度、生じていただけに、印象深く心に残ります。だから明かりが消えていると「変だな」と、つい、思ってしまうでしょう。そして、そのいたちごっこがなくなってみると、妙に寂しかったりもします。語学や文化圏の問題ではありません。夫婦の話です。強いて言えば、国語の問題です。

sfsf4
質問者

お礼

すみません。 これだけだと情報が不十分ですね。

関連するQ&A

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

"What are you doing?" she said. He jumped up and pulled the blotting paper over his work. Her one eye through her green glasses glinted upon him, though I did not actually see it do so, but saw only the dark green glass focused with a squint on to his face. "I'm making up the accounts," he said, standing with his back to the desk, concealing the papers. I saw his hand reach back and tremble among them. "I shivered in my soaking wet clothes. Dorothy looked with her eye at the window. I slid sideways to avoid her and ran all the way home. Next morning I said. "I've tried to read with these glasses. It's all a blur. I suppose I'll have to take them back?" "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?" I took them into Mr Simmonds early that afternoon. "I tried to read with them this morning, but it's all a blur." It was true that I had smeared them with cold cream first. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。she= Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面から始まっています。 ------------------------------------------------------------------ "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?"の個所について But the shop's so dark.の部分はBecause ~の意味になると思うのですが、 But~と言うのが普通なのでしょうか? 前文は He pulled a sheet of blotting paper towards him. He dipped his pen in the ink and started writing on the bottom of the sheet of paper before him, comparing it from time to time with the one he had taken out of the safe. I was not surprised, but I was thrilled, when the door behind him slowly opened. It was like seeing the film of the book. Dorothy advanced on her creeping feet, and he did not hear, but formed the words he was writing, on and on. The rain pelted down regardless. She was looking crookedly, through her green glasses with her one eye, over his shoulder at the paper. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 「it」と「them」の違いについて

初歩的な質問ですみません。 問題を解いていましたら、ふと混乱いたしました。多分本当に理解しきっていないからだと思います。そこで、きちんと理解したいので、解説をお願いいたします。 「it」か「them」に置き換える問題です。 (1)Please give back my book. → Please give it back. (2)I'm searching for my glasses. →I'm searching for them? (3)Pull into the parking space slowly. →Pull into it slowly. (4)She was careless and burned down the cabin. 分かりません。 単純に単数と複数の問題でしょうか? なんだかモヤモヤしています。どうかよろしくお願いいたします。

• 海外ドラマseinfeldより

DIANE: He was always such a goof-off. I mean did he ever get anywhere? JERRY: Sure. DIANE: Yeah? What field? JERRY: Marine biology. DIANE: George is a marine biologist?! JERRY: Yeah, pretty damn good one, too! DIANE: I can't believe it. I-I would never had thought… JERRY: Yeah... he’s specializing in whales. He's working on lowering the cholesterol level, in whales… all that blubber -- quite unhealthy. You know it’s the largest mammal on earth but as George says "they don't have to be." というやりとりで最後のthey don't have to be はどう解釈したらよいでしょうか?

• 選択問題

"Please turn off the lights when you finish." a,Shall I turn them off?  b,I'll turn off them.  c,How do I turn them off? どれが答えでしょうか? まずcではないのははっきりしています。 意味から考えるとbかな?と思ったのですがoff them の位置がおかしい気がします。 (代名詞 副詞とならなければいけないと学んだので) off them でもいいのでしょうか?

• (手紙の一部の)英語を教えてください。

友人(女性)から、その夫の借金について書いてある手紙を受領しました(数日前にもその前の手紙の内容について質問しましたが)、今回はその続きとなりますが、再度あまり意味がよくわかりません。今回は下記の英語についてお尋ねです。最初の段落は前半はわかりますが、それ以降、最後まで明確にはつかめません。先回の手紙では、再抵当をして、、、などと書いてあり、夫とその借金に激怒しているようでしたが、今回はこの最後の段落は、自分の退職金で返すという意味かなと捕らえているのですが、借金をあきらめて受け入れたのか、そうでいいですか?教えてください。 I was not sure if I had told you about the debt he has got us in. Well it is a large amount that has just kept building up because of him being out of work and not being able to pay it. I did not know about it for ages then he had to tell me. I had a terrible time keeping them at bay for a while and offering only small amounts to keep them quiet. So the only thing was to used some of the equity I had on the house and remortgage the house to clear them up. If not we would of lost the house eventually I reckon. Debt can be very stressful. It looks like it is going through and I will then be able to pay them off. I will be able to pay the monthly payments. Only thing I will now have to work into my retirement to pay it off and not as before paid up by then.

• medical scare

Over the holidays I got engaged. My boyfriend has clinical depression, and the holidays are rough on him. I was going to break up with him, but I held off, thinking it would be easier after the holidays. Then he surprised me—at his parents’ house in front of his whole family—with a ring. I didn’t see how to say no without humiliating him in front of his family, so I accepted. I’ve been trying to break it off ever since, but something always stops me. He had problems at work, and then it was Valentine’s Day, and then he had a medical scare. medical scareはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I am upset with my sister for the way she is parenting her kids. She makes her daughters, ages 8 and 6, get on a scale every day. She says weighing them is good because it makes them more aware of their weight and what they eat and are putting into their bodies. are putting into their bodiesの主語は何でしょうか?意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文法について

()was Linda's disappointment that she burst into tears という問題があり答えがSuchなのですがI仮主語のItは入らないでしょうか?教えてください。お願いします。

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

I had my glasses on again, and was walking on. "How did your husband react to his sister's accusations?" I said. "He was remarkably kind." "Kind?" "Oh, yes, in the circumstances. Because she started up a lot of gossip in the neighbourhood. It was only a small town. It was a long time before I could persuade him to send her to a home for the blind where she could be looked after. There was a terrible bond between them. Unconscious incest." "Didn't you know that when you married him? I should have thought it would have been obvious." She looked at me again. "I had not studied psychology at that time," she said. I thought, neither had I. We were silent for the third turn about the lake. Then she said, "Well, I was telling you how I came to study psychology and practise it. My husband had this breakdown after his sister went away. He had delusions. He kept imagining he saw eyes looking at him everywhere. He still sees them from time to time. But eyes, you see. That's significant. Unconsciously he felt he had blinded his sister. Because unconsciously he wanted to do so. He keeps confessing that he did so." Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖のまわりを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ********************************************* 最後の方に He kept imagining he saw eyes looking at him everywhere. He still sees them from time to time. But eyes, you see. とあるのですが、 But eyes, you see.のButはどういう意味になって、この一文はどう訳すのでしょうか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は "It can all be explained psychologically, as we've tried to show to my husband. We've told him and told him, and given him every sort of treatment--shock, insulin, everything. And after all, the stuff didn't have any effect on his sister immediately, and when she did go blind it was caused by acute glaucoma. She would probably have lost her sight in any case. Well, she went off her head completely and accused her brother of having put the wrong drug in the bottle deliberately. This is the interesting part from the psychological point of view--she said she had seen something that he didn't want her to see, something disreputable. She said he wanted to blind the eye that saw it. She said...." We were walking round the lake for the second time. When we came to the spot where I had seen her face reflected I stopped and looked over the water. "I'm boring you." "No, no." "I wish you would take off those glasses." I took them off for a moment. I rather liked her for her innocence in not recognizing me, though she looked hard and said, "There's a subconscious reason why you wear them." "Dark glasses hide dark thoughts," I said. "Is that a saying?" "Not that I've heard. But it is one now." She looked at me anew. But she didn't recognize me. These fishers of the mind have no eye for outward things. Instead, she was "recognizing" my mind:I already came under some category of hers. となっています。

• 和訳希望。お願い致します。

I always hated growing up heavier... Hearing people say that I shouldn't eat this or that because they could see I've gained weight... Or being happy with yourself when you look into the mirror but turning around seeing people not like you for your physical appearance, watching them turn away because of your love handles and round face...