Why do athletes always run around a track in a counter-clockwise direction?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Track and field events started in ancient Greece, and they used a counter-clockwise direction.
  • The leftward direction is common in nature, like the rotation of the Earth and the Sun.
  • The left leg is usually more stable for most people, so they turn left when running.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

度々ですみませんが、また英語の翻訳をおねがいします。

度々ですみませんが、また英語の翻訳をおねがいします。 The other day,I was watching the Olympics on television, and it made me curious about something.Why do athletes always run around a track ina counter-clockwise direction? In other words,why do they always turn left,not right? I asked a lot of people remained a mystery ,I decided to try it for myself. I went to my local park and ran around the pond twice, once colockwise and once counter-clockwise. It definitely seemed much more natural to turn left. I got so interested in the question that I decided to do some research. One book told me that track and field events started in ancient Greece,and the direction the Greeks used was going from right to left. So perhaps history gives us the answer.Another book showed me aa natural explanation. It said the leftward direction is common in nature. For example,the earth revolves on its axis and araound the sun in this way.Neither of these expanations seemed very convincing, however, and they made me even more frustrated. Finally I found another book which gave me asientific answer that seemed more satisfying. It is based on the defference between the left and the right leg.Apparently,we all have one leg that feels more stable. If you close your eyes and stand on both legs,you can easily tell which leg this is.We call this is. We call this leg the pivot leg,and for most people it is the left leg. We don't usually use both legs equally when we stand. 最初から途中までの本文です。 優しい回答おねがいします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

こないだテレビでオリンピックを見てたら、疑問が湧いた。ランナーはどうしてトラックを反時計回りに走るのか。どうして決まっているのか。何人かの人に聞いたけど、結局分らず仕舞いだった。それで自分で実際に走って試してみることにした。近所の公園に行って、時計回りと反時計回りと、2回走ってみた。明らかに左回りの方が自然な感じがした。 興味を覚えたので少し調べてみた。ある本によると、トラック競技つまりフィールド競技は古代ギリシャに起源がある。そして、そのギリシャ人は右から左という方向に向かって走っていた。どうやら歴史的な経緯があるのかもしれない。別な本には、自然に基く説明がされていた。それによると、左方向に向かうというのは、自然の中では普通のことだという。たとえば地球は地軸を中心にしてそのように回っているし、太陽の回りを回るのも同じだ。どちらの説明も、完全には納得できなかった。 それから別な本を見たら、科学的な説明がしてあって、これなら納得できる気がした。それは右足と左足の違いに着目して説明していた。われわれには利き足というものがある。立っている状態で目を瞑ってみるとどちらが利き足だか分る。多くの場合、それは左足だ。われわれが立っている時に、両方の足を同じ割合で使うことは普通はないのだ。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

I care so much about you I care about you more than I can say. And that caring and that feeling have a meaning that is more precious and more special to me than I can explain. But let me try to tell you this... Stying ''I care'' means that I will always do everything I can to understand. It means that I will never hurt you. It means that you can trust me. It means that you can tell me. What's wrong. It means that I will try to fix what I can,that I will listen When you need me to hear,and that ~even in your most difficult moment ~all you have to do is say tha word,and your hand and my hand will not be apart. It means that whenever you speak to me,whether words are spoken through a smile or theouge a tear... I will listen with my heart. I do care about you... In a very special wey. メッセージカードの柄としてあったので気になりました。お願いします

• 翻訳願います!!

どなたか下記の英文の和訳をお願い致しますm(_ _)m (1)I want to let you know that the language barrie will be taken care of when we see each other. (2)It is very important for me to express to you how much you really mean to me. (3)But since we are physically separated by miles in emptiness, this expression must come in the from of letters such as this. (4)Dear, I know it is difficult for you, as it is for me, to be separated for so long. (5)Life seems to be full of trials of this type which test our inner strength, and more importantly, our devotion and love for one another.

• The story of my life 和訳

すみません。 分からないところがいくつかあったので、和訳お願いします。 I smelt the violets in her hand and asked, half in words half in signs , a question which meant "Is love the sweetness of flowers?" I asked,pointing in the direction from which the heat came."Is this not love?" It seemed to me that there could be nothing more beautiful than the sun,whose warmth makes all things grow.

• どなたか英語に詳しい方、日本語に翻訳してください。

長文ですが、どなたか日本語に翻訳してください。 お願いします。 First,please allow me to introduce my self. i am monica guiao, 22 years old.now let me share a short story of my life. year 2010, it was the year that i finished my studies. on that year i also started to look a job. i am lucky because i was given the opportunity to teach a korean students. it was my first job.in terms of salary it was good but it is not enough in our daily lives so i decided to lokk for another job. until one day someone told me that japan is looking for a machine operator. we all know japan is one of the richest and the most beautiful countries in the world. so, i tried to apply.i am very much lucky because i was selected. november 13,2011, i remembered that day when i left my country to work in japan. it was such a ravishing feeling, thinking that i can reach my dreams. this was also the first time being far away from my family. but why should i stay away from my family. my goal is to earn money to give a better future for my family and in order to send my niece to school. It has already been 10months since we came here in japan. so, i realized that as a foreigner trainee in a japanese company, it is very important to learn their culture, and business practices and etiquettes.about the language, very few japanese can understand english. so, i realized that i really need to study to learn japanee language, to be able to communicate much easier with the japanese people. for me if you want to survive here, learn japanese. but i can say that with the help of takasaki san we learned a lot. About the japanese foods, for me all the japanese foods are delicious, especilly ramen. For now what i really want to do while in japan is to embrace and adopt the displine that the japanese so effortlessly display. It amazes me how naturally it comes to them, and I believe that this firmly rooted trait of the japanese is one of the key reasons to their progressive country. for the end of this presentation I would like to say thank you to all of you. thank you for trusting me to work here in taiyo yuden japan. I will assure that you will not repent that you chose me to work here in japan. once again thank you very much..

• 英語 添削をお願いします

ちょっとした、ジョークを考えなくてはいけません。文法もですがおかしいところを直して教えていただけると助かります。よろしくお願いします。 One day an old woman came and spoke to me in French. I said to her in French with confidence. 『Je'ne parle pas de Francais』 She smiled and told to me in French more and more. This time, I got good luck and bad luck. Good luck is this. She understood my French. Bad luck is this. She didn't understand my feeling. Because the meaning of that sentence is I cannot speak French.

• この英語を日本語へ翻訳お願いします。

なんとなくは分かるのですが、知らない単語があり的確に訳せません...。 お力添えお願いします。 don't think that way .... i understand your situation . i know how it feet to be in that type of situation . here is something to make you feel better . don't worry i still think that you are a wonderful person and thank you! for be in honest .... i respect you ... now think about this " ( That me think that you are the best person in the world and is happy for the way you are! ) " and only think about it all day so you feel better

• 英文の翻訳をお願いします。

どなたか英文を翻訳していただける方が居ましたらぜひお願いいたします。 I hinted at the end of chapter 1 that while some people consider theory to be a mystification of practice, rather than a tool for disseminating or supporting it, I believe that theories help us to appreciate our practice with more depth and resonance. Ultimately, your response to what we've outlined in this book might be to suggest a theory of your own, based on your own thinking and experience - as some of the practitioners we've interviewed do. But be careful in supported by empirical evidence. The next stage is to work out how you can put your own informed opinions to the test and turn them into a sound theory. Finally, remember that this book is by no means the last word on anything. We hope to have last word on anything. We hope to have whetted your appetite to look at visual communication in more detail, and pointed you in the direction of alternative sources that will extend your knowledge even further.

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします

長文ですが、次の英語の翻訳をお願いします。 ある俳優にファンが出演した映画について聞いています Q:I was going to ask you Randy about Lorton Lake. A:You know Danny finished that and like re-edited it and did something with it. The director, sorry, the director has had like full control of overall about whatever we make and then he is going to cut down. And I think he did some weird re-edit of it and it played at some places under a different name, but I don't actually have that in control over that anymore. I was like… Q:Don't know if we are going to get to see that then? A:I don't know, I should talk to him while I am here, I need to… Probably not. Q:There is so many things that you guys do that we don't get to see. A:I know, I know, but it's like not good enough for you guys yet, if you see it now. 宜しくお願いします。

• FXに関する英語の翻訳依頼です

下記の文章はFXのトレーダーの方が 記載したメッセージです。 FXの専門用語も入っていそうなので FXの知識が多少でもある方が希望ですが 無い方でもどうぞよろしくお願い致します。 ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ Dear Investors :Thank you all for your positive comments and long term loyalty of all my followers***It has been ***** 60 weeks of profitable trading.. *****We have had upside downs and that is part of trading and even more in the currency trading but we always been profitable month to month*** Now after more than 5 years making a living of trading and proving that financial freedom is posible I realized I have learned so much about trading and how to make money out of it and I still learning how to be more conservative in order to protect our profits*** soon you will see my new Money Management strategy in order to protect my long term followers but this strategy wellcome newcomer as well since with all the experience earned so far you all will see more profitable and consevative trading using technical and fundamental analisys avoiding important economic events*** Dear Investors: With this new changes in this strategy I can assure you will keep been profitable month to month, please DO NOT CLOSE POSITIONS BY YOURSELF*** let me do that ** iam 24/7 trading for you...***Thanks againg for your support and confidence, you all have been great to me*** thanks for all your positive comments*** Looking forward to bring lots of pips and profits month to month******* Best regards ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ どうぞよろしくお願い致します。

• 英語の質問です。

( )内の近い意味を持つ語を答えなさい。1.This part of the processing cannot be automated and needs to be done (by hand). (1)handly (2)manually (3)artificially (4)craftily 答え(2) ( )に入るもっとも適切なものを選びなさい。 2.I don't know that Tom had read War and Peace. ( ) surprised me most was the fact that he had read it in two days. (1)That (2)Who (3)Whoever (4)What 答え(4) 3.The man ( ) was my friend has betrayed me. (1)how I thought (2)what I thought (3)who I thought (4)whom I thought 答え(3) 4.Is this ( ) you said you bought in France? (1)as (2)that (3)what (4)which 答え(3) 5.Things are not ( ) they used to be. (1)while (2)what (3)when (4)that 5.This encyclopedia is very informative and, ( ) is more, inexpensive. (1)which (2)it (3)that (4)what 答え(4) 自分で解いてみたのですが、 訳ができずに困っています。 訳を教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。