• ベストアンサー

信号に関する英文

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/stoplights.asp 上のページで、以下の文意を捉えかねています。ヒントをください。after the fact がどういう意味なのか、教えてください。 " Clear as a choice for the go signal, varied slightly from the light cast from typical street lamps, or from the glare of the sunlight, and, thus could quite easily be mistaken for the go signal...after the fact. "

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

翻訳者やってます。 全体的に、挿入句の多い、若干込み入った英文記事ですね。ですが論理を追いつつ全体を読めばここの部分もわかります。 まず鉄道エンジニア達が色を決めたことに由来している、ということで、彼らがどうやって各色を決めたかの経緯が書かれていますよね。で、赤を「停止」の印として採用した。次に「進め」を何色にするかっていうところがこの部分ですが、、、質問者様が引用された部分の1文前からこのところはつながって解釈しなければわからないと思います。 つまり、その直前部分で「The first trial in the 1830s, that of choosing green for the caution signal, and clear for the go signal, failed miserably. 」とありますので、「注意」に緑を、そして「進め」に透明を選んだのはたいへんな失敗だった、ということですよね。 で、その、透明についての説明が、問題の部分です。 "Clear as a choice for the go signal, varied slightly from the light cast from typical street lamps, or from the glare of the sunlight, and, thus could quite easily be mistaken for the go signal...after the fact." 「『進め』として選ばれた透明は……」というのが主語。 その「透明」を修飾している(くわしく説明している)部分が「varied slightly from the light cast from typical street lamps, or from the glare of the sunlight,」です。街灯の色とも日光の色とも若干違う、透明色、ということです。 それが、「thus could quite easily be mistaken for the go signal」なのですよね。つまり、たぶんこの部分の言いたいことは「だから進め信号と誤認されやすい」ということなのだと思います。 ……が、ここでよく考えてみますと接続詞thusでつないでるつなぎ方がどうもおかしいですね。普通は「主語が~した、なので(←これがthus)主語が…である」のようにthusの後で主語が略されている場合には文全体の主語を受けると思うのです。でもここでは文の主語は「Clear as a choice for the go signal」で、「それゆえcould quite easily be mistaken for the go signal」ってなってて、ちょっとおかしいかなと思います。「進めの色に選ばれた透明は、こうこうこうなので、進め信号と誤認されやすかった」。どうも書いているうちに主語を取り違えて「街灯」「太陽」と思ってしまったのかも。 で、最後の「after the fact」は普通に「事実(実際に起こったこと)によれば」ってことで、その次のパラグラフの「failure」につながってると思います。つまり事実というのは、実際、太陽を進め信号と間違えたとか街灯を進めの色だと誤認しちゃって事故だのけが人だのが出たということでしょう。その失敗に基づいて改良が行われた、という流れですね。

その他の回答 (1)

• likipon
  • ベストアンサー率38% (44/114)
回答No.1

・進行の合図として無色(の燈火)だと, 普通の街灯の光や, 日光と区別がつきにくかった. そのため, 進行の合図と用意に間違ってしまうのだった. 結局のところ. After the fact は, "事件後に" の意味です. この場合, "実際に事故りまくった教訓として上記の事がわかった"という意味合いではないかと思います.

関連するQ&A

• この英文あってますか?

英語ができる方! ヨーロッパの旅行プランについて考える授業があるのですが、この英文はあってるでしょうか? 間違っていたら直してほしいです。 On the first day, we will depart from Kansai International Airport in the morning. We will board KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and arrive in Frankfurt, Germany at night. It takes 10 hours. We stay over at a hotel there. On the second day, we will be a little tired from our long flight so we will go on a relaxing and beautiful cruise on the Rhine River. While in the ship, we'll have potato & mushroom soup and delicious Nurnberger bratwurst which are finger-size sausages for lunch. In the afternoon we will go sightseeing in Heidelberg and see Heidelberg Castle which is a famous ruin in Germany. You can go inside of the castle and you will feel like a princess. For dinner we'll have some fish dishes. after that we will go to Rothenburg by bus and stay night at a hotel.

• 英文抄読

英文和訳しておりこの文がどうしてもわからないので和訳お願いします Evidence from several studies has shown that global fracture protection afforded by the bisphosphonate (e.g. alendronate or zoledronic acid) is attenuated 3-5 yr after bisphosphonate therapy is discontinued, although there is some residual fracture protection (13,39,48).In a typical , albeit empirical, approach, the bisphosphonate is stopped for 1-3 yr until the return of bone resorption markes (e.g.CTX) into the mid-range of young adults, when therapy may then be reinitiated.

• 英文を直してください!

私はテレビをずっと見ていたのをお親にだめと言われました。 私は中学から高校にかけて、学校から帰るといつもテレビを見ていました。 すると親があなたはテレビを見る時間が多すぎると言いました。 実際、私はテレビを見る時間が多すぎるせいで勉強時間がとても少なかったです。 注意をされたあと、私はテレビを見る時間が減りました。 すると、目が今までより疲れにくくなりました。 テレビを見る時間を減らして良かったです。 今でもテレビを見るのは好きですが、あまり長い時間テレビを見すぎないようにこれから気をつけようと思います。 英文 I have been warned of watching TV all the time by a parent. I always watched TV from the junior high to the high school when I returned from the school. Then my parents said, 'You spends too much time in watching television.' In fact, I watched television for a long time so I don't have time to study. After being warned, as for me, time to see TV decreased. So Eye became hard to be tired. It was very good to reduce time to see TV. I still love to watch TV,このあとの最後の文章は上手く表現できませんでした(;;) 英文の訂正宜しくお願いします!

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

The 1/1 Infantry Brigade was ordered to coordinate its actions with the 4th Division and advance against the right flank of the defensive line. At about 6:50, while still waiting to go forward, the units came under attack from several Romanian battalions which threatened to envelop their flank, but who were stopped by Bulgarian reinforcements. After this both the 1st and 6th regiments advanced, and by 11:30 had come within 800 meters of the line. The Romanian defenders, believing that a Russian column was advancing from the east to help the encircled fortress, put up stout resistance; however, once they realized the "relief column" was in fact Bulgarian, they started retreating in panic.

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

Due to the distances that had to be covered by incoming units, the difficulties in communications and ever present enemy fire, the time allowed for assembly proved inadequate and the attack was postponed until 7:00 am. The signal to attack was to be six simultaneous green rockets. Some rockets misfired and did not burst, resulting in an uneven assault whereby each unit moved from their start lines at different times. The four attacking battalions suffered heavy losses as they advanced over open ground in broad daylight. The attackers failed to regain any lost territory but managed to close a 550 metres (600 yd) gap in the line and advance the Canadian front about 910 metres (1,000 yd) from the positions it had retreated to after the German assault.

• 英文解釈 この流れであっているかどうか質問です。

Do you believe in luck for success or hard work to achieve want you really want? It depends on what you call success. Usually, we speak about the public recognition, how many records you sell, how many people come to your shows, how many articles you have in the musical newspapers. I don't know how this stuff comes. Maybe luck can be part of it: the luck to make the good thing at the good place, at the right moment. Q1 まずI don’t know how this stuff comes.ですが、これは流れから察するに 「それら(何枚レコードを売ったのかとか)がどのくらいのものかなんて知らんよ」みたいなニュアンスであってますか? Q2 Maybe~ここは運についてのまとめだと思いますが、 レコードが何枚売れたかとか、そういた“成功”に対しては、運も、1つの要素として必要かもねという解釈で、そのあとコロンでつないで詳しく説明。 然るべきタイミングで、然るべき場所で、良い作品を作る事が出来るというのが運が良いというものさ。 みたいなニュアンスであってますか? ――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――― Now I am happy to live outside of France, in Belgium. It's good to try to see things from outside after a while. It makes one understand the world from a slightly different angle. In the past two years I've been touring in different countries,………… 現在、フランスを出てベルギーに住んでいる事がうれしくてね。しばらくの間は、物事を外側から見ようとする事も良い事さ。It makes one understand the world from a slightly different angle.過去2年間… Q3 It makes~は使役ですか? One がthe world from a slightly different angleをunderstandさせる。という解釈ですか? Q4 それと、in the past two years.ですが、過去二年というのは、どこの2年間かはこの状態ではわからないですか?それとも、ちょうど二年前から今日までを指すのでしょうか? past /p*st; p**st/→*→* *a 1a 過ぎ去った, 昔の, これまでの; 終わった; 過ぎたばかりの; 【文法】 過去の. ・for some time past ここしばらくの間; かねてから. ・in past years 先年. ・the past month 前月; この一か月. ・the past tense 過去時制. ここから察するに、二年前から今日までの2年間を指すと思うのですが・・・。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

In 1992, the event’s second year, a team of researchers at the Shiseido Research Center in Yokohama were accorded the Ig Nobel Prize for Medicine for their pioneering research study “Elucidation of Chemical Compounds Responsible for Foot Malodour,” especially for their conclusion that people who think they have foot odor do, and those who don’t don’t. Their paper attracted notice after it was published in the British Journal of Dermatology in June 1990. Abrahams pointed out that “approximately 50 percent” of eventual Ig winners come to the selection committee’s attention from published scientific papers. “We are always looking,” he told The Japan Times. “And anyone can send in a nomination. In a typical year we receive something like 7,000 new nominations. Between 10 and 20 percent of those are people who nominate themselves. But they almost never win. Winning an Ig Nobel Prize seems to be a side-effect. If it’s your main goal, you are very unlikely to succeed.”

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

Further north, the 169th Brigade was to advance to Polygon Wood through Glencorse Wood and 167th Brigade was to reach the north-western part of Polygon Wood through Nonne Bosschen. The 8th Division was to attack with two brigades, between Westhoek and the Ypres–Roulers railway, to the green line on the rise east of the Hanebeek stream. Eight tanks were allotted to II Corps to assist the infantry. The artillery support for the attack was the same as that for 10 August, 180 eighteen-pounder guns for the creeping barrage moving at 110 yd (100 m) in five minutes, with seventy-two 4.5-inch howitzers and 36 eighteen-pounders placing standing barrages beyond the final objective. Eight machine-gun companies were to fire barrages on the area from the north-east of Polygon Wood to west of Zonnebeke. XIX and XVIII corps further north, were also to capture the green line, slightly beyond the German Wilhelm (third) line. Each XIX Corps division had fourteen 18-pounder batteries for the creeping barrage and twenty-four 4.5-inch howitzer batteries and forty machine-guns for standing barrages, along with the normal heavy artillery groups. Each division also had 108 eighteen-pounders and thirty-six 4.5-inch howitzers for bombardment and benefitted from supply routes which had been far less heavily shelled than those further south. In the XVIII Corps area, a brigade each from the 48th and 11th divisions with eight tanks each, was to attack from the north end of St. Julien, to the White House east of Langemarck. The 20th Division planned to capture Langemarck with the 60th and 61st brigades. The 59th Brigade was to go into reserve after holding the line before the attack, less the two battalions in the front line, which were to screen the assembly of the attacking brigades. The attack was to begin on the east bank of the Steenbeek where the troops had 77–148 yd (70–135 m) of room to assemble, crossing over on wooden bridges laid by the engineers the night before the attack.

• 英文の間違いがあったら教えてください。

marry,consult,approach,answer,enter,reach,attend,mention,searchの他動詞を使った英文があるのですが、間違っているところがありましたら教えてください。(語句の使い方、スペルミス、そもそも国語的に話が成立しているかetc.) My friend Lisa marry a man who is two years older than her so I thought to go to her wedding ceremony but I didn't know where I should go. I consulted map to get information but I couldn't so I approached a old man to ask the way to church of her wedding ceremony. He answered that"you should go straight and turn right at the second signal". I mailed for Lisa to be late the ceremony just in case and went straight. Ten minutes later, I reached the church. I entered there, there were not any people. I was surprised and checked my cell phone so there was a mail from Lisa. It said,"the wedding is tomorrow!" Next day, I was able to attend it. I mention which I learned "we should prepare when we search somewhere" and "we confirm days!" また、これにsurviveを入れられるとしたらどこに、どんな風に入るでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を助けてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! The second new building was the amphitheatre, financed by the same two colonists, Quinctius Valgus and Porcius, but at a slightly later date. The official title was actually not ampbitbeatron, a Greek term used of such buildings only at a later date, but the Latin SPECTACULA. This reflects the fact that the entertainments staged in the arena were of purely Roman type, the gladiatorial combats and wild-beast hunts which had evolved in central Italy, perhaps from games conducted at funeral, and whose brutality and bloodshed set them apart from the popular entertainments of the Greeks. As such, the amphitheatre may have been designed, initially at least, to respond more to the demands of the Roman colonists than to those of the indigenous Pompeians: it may be significant that the founders here felt it necessary to state that they were acting ‘’for the honour of the colony’’ and did so ‘’at their own expense’’.