Goodbye Columbusの冒頭部分の要約

このQ&Aのポイント
  • ブレンダが泳ぐ姿に感動する
  • ブレンダが水の中でも鮮やかな姿勢を保つ
  • ブレンダが水着を整える場面に興味を持つ
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Goodbye Columbus の冒頭部分です

The first time I saw Brenda she asked me to hold her glasses. Then she stepped out to the edge of the diving board and looked foggily into the pool; it could have been drained, myopic Brenda would never have known it. She dove beautifully, and a moment later she was swimming back to the side of the pool, her head of short-clipped auburn hair held up, straight ahead of her, as though it were a rose on a long stem. The rose glided dry to the edge and then it was beside me. “Thank you,” she said, her eyes watery though not from the water. She extended a hand for her glasses but did not put them on until she turned and headed away. I watched her move off. Her hands suddenly appeared behind her. She caught the bottom of her suit between thumb and index finger and flicked what flesh had been showing back where it belonged. My blood jumped. 上記はGoodbye Columbus の冒頭部分ですが、2か所質問があります。 1.it could have been drained, myopic Brenda would never have known it. を たとえ水がなくても、近眼のブレンダにはわからなかっただろう、と訳されています。it could have been drained,が何故「たとえ水がなくても」という意味になるのですか?仮定法のようですが、仮定法にするとどういう意味合いを付け加えるのでしょうか? 2. flicked what flesh had been showing back where it belonged. これは「ずり上がっていたところを、ぐいっと引き下ろした」と訳されています。何故そういう訳になるのでしょう? flesh とは具体的に何を指しますか?Itは何を指しますか? flick はbackは一対でflick back と考えていいのでしょうか? 宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

1. "drain" は「水を抜く」です。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=drain つまり、「プールの中の水は抜かれていたかも知れない」となります。 「プールの中の水は抜かれていたかも知れないが、近眼のブレンダには決してわからなかっただろう。」 2. "flick" で「ピシッとはじく」です。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=flick ですから "flicked back" で「ピシッとはじき返した」でしょう。 "flesh" は身体の「肉」で、ここではお尻の「お肉」のことを指していると思われます。"It" は "flesh" のことを指しています。つまり、ブレンダがプールに飛び込んだ際、水着がずり上がって彼女のお尻の部分が露出してしまったのでしょう(flesh had been showing)。だから彼女は水着のお尻の部分をつまんで下に引き下ろし、元の位置(back where it belonged)に戻したのです。 そしてその様子を見ていた話者は、頭に血が上った(ドキッとした)のです(My blood jumped.)。

0123gokudo
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 なるほどそういうことですか。英語はなかなか複雑な言い回しをしますね。

0123gokudo
質問者

補足

fleshが一体どの部分の肉のことを指してるんだろうと疑問でしたが、う~ん、やっぱりお尻の肉だったんですね。訳からは、どうもそのようには理解出来たのですが、まさかそんな卑猥なことを描写するわけがないとも一方では思っていました。それで理解が進まなかったのかも知れません。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

すでにほぼ言い尽くされていますが、ちょっとだけ。 1.it could have been drained, myopic Brenda would never have known it. 二つの文がただ並べられているのを、不思議に思われたのかもしれません。 普通なら、but でつなぐか、even if で従属節にするはずです。 しかし、こういう技法もあるのです。 juxtaposition といいます。 有名なところでは、Dickens の『二都物語』の冒頭部分。 It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way … ほかにも、カエサルの有名な「来た、見た、勝った」はI came, I saw, I conquered と訳されます。原文が veni, vidi, vici ですからね。 2.動詞+O+結果状態という構文です。 目的語に対してある行為を行った結果、ある状態に変化するという意味です。 flick じゃなくてもいろんな動詞でこの構文をとります。 まあ、back に関しては bring an overdue book back to the library 返却期限が過ぎた本を図書館に返す [ジーニアス英和(第5版)辞典] というのと同じです。 flick した結果、お肉が見せていた部分を、元の位置に戻した、ってことです。

0123gokudo
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 なるほど、juxtapositionというのは「並列」ですね。 時には適当な語、but やeven if を補うと理解しやすくなりますね。今までにお目にかかった記憶がありません。だから「????」てなったんですね。

関連するQ&A

• The Dark Glassesから

Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 ●It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. her faceは I recognized her face looking up from the lakeという繋がりですか? ●and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. ここの意味がよくわかりません。 隠蔽のポイントから彼女が言う必要があることを見事に聞くことができるだけでした? どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? from a point of concealmentは直前のsayにかかるのでしょうか? それともhearですか? 教えてください。お願いいたします。

• 英文がわかりません。

We walked round the new concrete verge of the old lake, and she continued the story of how she was led to give up general medical practice and take up psychology; and I looked at her as she spoke, through my dark glasses, and because of the softening effect these have upon things I saw her again as I had seen her looking up from the lake, and again as in my childhood. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 because of the softening effect these have upon things I saw her again as I had seen her looking up from the lake, and again as in my childhood.の英文がわからないのですが、 ●as I had seen her looking up from the lakeのasと as in my childhoodのasは、 「~のように」ですか? ●この英文は どのような構造になっているのでしょうか? because of the softening effect 、軟化効果のために、という出だしはわかるのですが。 前文は  "Must you wear those glasses?"  "Well, yes. The glare."  "The wearing of dark glasses," she said, "is a modern psychological phenomenon. It signifies the trend towards impersonalization, the weapon of the modern Inquisitor, it--"  "There's a lot in what you say." But I did not remove my glasses, for I had not asked for her company in the first place, and there is a limit to what one can listen to with the naked eye. となっています。 教えてください。 お願いします。

• 翻訳お願いします

Kate stepped out on the trestle to see if it would hold her. Though she could feel it shake beneath her, it did not go down. Then, the wind blew out her light. The night was black. She began to crawl, feeling ahead of her to see if the bridge was still there. From one board to the next she went cautiously on. Sometimes she would slip and almost fall into the roaring water below. Then she would regain her hold and go on. Kate did not know what time it was. The express would come through at twelve. What if she vas still on the bridge when it came? She would be killed. But there was no way back now. Part of the way across, she saw a big tree rushing down the river. It had been torn out of the ground by the flood, and dirt still hung on its roots. It was approaching fast. It is sure to push the bridge down, she thought. And I can't stop it. Her heart beat quickly. Then the tree passed under the bridge, clearing the trestle by only a foot. Kate kept crawling. Nails and splinters caught at her clothes. Her hands were torn. Thinking of the express and all its passengers, she made one last effort and finally reached the end of the bridge. She stopped only a minute to rest. As soon as she could, she began to run as fast as she could toward the railroad station in town. It was a half mile away.

• ask for her company

"Must you wear those glasses?"  "Well, yes. The glare."  "The wearing of dark glasses," she said, "is a modern psychological phenomenon. It signifies the trend towards impersonalization, the weapon of the modern Inquisitor, it--"  "There's a lot in what you say." But I did not remove my glasses, for I had not asked for her company in the first place, and there is a limit to what one can listen to with the naked eye. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (二人の女性が湖に歩いて来たところです) I had not asked for her company in the first placeの部分なのですが、 ここは、 私は第一に彼女に同伴することを求めなかった、でしょうか?(companyは動詞) それとも 私は第一に彼女の仲間(になること)を(自分自身に)求めなかった、でしょうか?(companyは名詞) どちらにもとれるのでしょうか? その場合は文脈から判断するのでしょうか? 前文は Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. となっています。(前文の冒頭が物語の出だしになっています) 教えてください。お願い致します。

• 何故こういう訳になるのか?

フィリップロスのさようなら、コロンバスからの一節です。 She was wearing her Bermudas and her white polo shirt which was unlike Brenda's only in that it had a little dietary history of its own. had 以下の訳が、「体つきがちょっと違った」となっています。この英文からどうしたらそのような訳が出て来るのでしょうか? SheはBrendaの妹で10才前後と思います。Brenda は20才前後で、よくバミューダパンツと白いポロシャツを着ています。そして今、妹も同じ服装をしているわけです。 宜しくお願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

I got married five years ago. It has never been a great marriage, but it’s been pretty good. I love my wife most of the time. A year ago I made a very stupid mistake. I got an email from an old girlfriend. We emailed back and forth then met. We talked over old times, kissed a few times, and decided to not meet again. My wife found out. She got mad and told me to leave, so I did. I apologized, and she took me back under a few conditions. First, I had to let her have all my passwords and agree that she could read all my email. I agreed. She also wanted counseling. I agreed to that too. She then told me that I’d have to agree to never be out of her sight unless I was at work or she knew where I was (every outing would have to be cleared with her). We talked over old timesのoverはaboutと同じでしょうか?あと、every outing would have to be cleared with herの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 教えて下さい。

訳を教えて下さい。 At the end of the race, she looked over to the crowd. Then she jogged to her friend who was holding the flag high. He handed it to her and she ran with it over her shoulders like a cape. She ran 50m holding that flag.This was a declaration of her pride, and of her love for herself and her people. 訳:レースが終わって彼女は観衆の方を見渡した。その時、彼女は国旗を高く持つ友人のとこへゆっくり走った。彼は…。彼女は国旗を握って50m走った。これは彼女の誇りでもある宣言で…。 特にHe handed it to her and she ran with it over her shoulders like a cape. とThis was a declaration of her pride, and of her love for herself and her people.の訳し方が分からないので教えて下さい。お願いします。

• 英語 seem

It seems that she went back to her hometown yesterday. この文と同じ意味になるようにカッコの中に入れよ。という問題で答えは下のようになります。 She seems (to have gone) back to her hometown yesterday. 私はここで、ん?haveなんで急に入ってきた?と思ったのですがこれは単に過去の出来事を表すためですよね? もし「彼女は故郷に帰るようだ。」ならば(というか過去形でなければ)上の文は、 It seems that she goes back to… となり、下の文は、 She seems to go back to… となるということですよね?

• 源氏物語の翻訳について

いつもお世話になっています。 A.Waleyの『 TALE OF GENJI 』 (帚木 The Broom-Tree)から わからないところと訳の間違っているところを教えていただければと思います。 1) 『 When she decided on this step she was perfectly sincere and had not the slightest intention of ever returning to the world. Then some female friend hears of it and ”Poor thing,” she cries; ”in what an agony of mind must she have been to do this !” and visits her in her cell. 』 ●彼女がこの道のりを決心するとき、彼女は完璧に見せかけでなく、そして決して世の中に戻る意向は少しも持ちませんでした。そしてある女性の友達はそれを関知します。そして「かわいそうに」と彼女は叫びます、「彼女は大変な心の苦悩の中で、こうしなければならなかったに違いありません!」そして彼女の独居房の中に彼女を訪ねます。・・・・・? ”in what an agony of mind must she have been to do this !”・・・・・ ここは she must have been to do this in what an agony of mind.ですか? (she must have been to do this in a 【great】 agony of mind.)・・・・? must have been ・・・・ここの「must be」は「~に違いない」? been to do~・・・ここの「be+to不定詞」は「予定」ですか? 「~to do this」は前回の「尼僧院に入ること」ですか?「She becomes more lugubrious than ever, and finally enters a nunnery.」(前回の文より) 2) 『 When the husband, who has never ceased to mourn for her, hears what she has become, he bursts into tears, and some servant or old nurse, seeing this, bustles off to the nunnery with tales of the husband's despair, and ”Oh Madam, what a shame, what a shame !”』 ●夫は(彼は彼女に対して決して嘆くことをやめていませんでした)彼女が何になってしまったか聞く時、彼は泣き出し、そしてある従者もしくは年をとった乳母はこれを見て、夫の絶望の話と共に修道院へせわしく動き回ります。そして「おお、奥様、あんまりです、あんまりです!」・・・・・? who has never ceased to mourn for her・・・・彼女が家を出て行ったことを嘆き続けていたということですか? bustles off・・・・せわしく動き回る?夫の絶望の話を持って修道院へ急き立てられるように向かうということですか? what a shame・・・・辞書に「あんまりだ」と載っていたのですが、「なんて恥ずかしい事!」という直訳になるのでしょうか? 3) 『 Then the nun, forgetting wherer and what she is, raises her hand to her head to straighten her hair, and finds that it has been shorn away. In helpless misery she sinks to the floor, and do what she will, the tears begin to flow. 』 ●その時尼僧は彼女がどこにいて何であるかを忘れて、彼女の髪をまっすぐにするために彼女の頭に手を上げ、そしてそれが刈り取られてしまったことを見出します。助けのない惨めさの中で、彼女は床にくずれるように倒れ、どうしても、涙は流れ始めます・・・・・・? Then・・・・その時? raises her hand to her head to straighten her hair,・・・・「raises」は手を頭に触れてみる感じですか? do what she will・・・・・どうしても?(どんなことをしても?) what she will doが元の形ですか?(彼女がしようとすること?) 「do」を前に出して「彼女が何をしても」という強調的な意味にしたのでしょうか? 夫も妻も取り返しがつかない事態になって、初めて真の気持ちに気付けたのでしょうか。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語 

jiro,s mother didn't have a umbrella so she could not go home. she called her son and asked him whether he could bring her it . he took it and hands her at the station. she said him thank you. この文でおかしいところを直してください 解説もお願いします。