My Husband Disrespects Me Because I'm Overweight

このQ&Aのポイント
  • I love my husband, but he disrespects me because I am overweight.
  • He constantly pressures me to lose weight and uses filthy language when speaking to me.
  • I am 58 years old, have back problems, and could stand to lose 15 pounds.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

stand to

I love my husband, but I don't like him anymore. He is disrespectful to me because I am overweight, and he has been after me for years to lose the extra pounds. He uses filthy language when he speaks to me and says it's OK because I am disrespecting him by not losing weight. I'm 58 years old, have back problems, wear a size 8 and could stand to lose a good 15 pounds. stand toはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4111/5344)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.3

could stand to lose a good 15 pounds は、15ポンド以上体重を減らすのを約束しても良い。 stand toは、~の側に立つ、~の約束を守る、~に固執する、などの意味がありますが、この場合couldがついていることと文脈から ~を約束することができると思う、つまり約束しても良い。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

stand toはどのような意味でしょうか? stand to という句動詞は、下記の1「~する立場にある」という意味の延長です。 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=stand+to  「私はたっぷり15ポンドは痩せる立場にある」 > 私はたっぷり15ポンドは痩せてもいい立場にある > 私はまだ15ポンド痩せてもいい(という太り過ぎ)

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• broken 300 pounds

I am at a complete loss over how to help my father. He’s been overweight my entire life, and I’m reaching a point of feeling like I have to do something about it. I found out when I went home that he’s broken 300 pounds. broken 300 poundsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• passive aggressively

Despite living a healthy lifestyle (regular exercise, balanced diet, active job when not in school), I am overweight and in the process of trying to lose a few pounds. My parents are supportive of this to a fault, passive aggressively telling me I don’t work out enough, encouraging me to weigh myself every day, and keeping me on a very strict diet and monitoring my caloric intake. passive aggressivelyは日本語にすると、「暗に」で良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• without a peep

I have been happily married to my husband for two years. While he is loving, and a good provider, he is not overly romantic. I would love nothing more than for him to surprise me with some flowers one day because he was thinking of me, but he's never given me flowers. Valentine's Day comes and goes without a peep from him. ここでのwithout a peepはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• SVO to do

(1)I asked him to go with me. →I asked that he should go with me. (2)I told him to go with me. →I told him that he should go with me. (1)ask o to doのto doをthat節にすると、oが消えますが、(2)tellやadviseでは残ります。何か理由があるのでしょうか。また、want o to doはthat節では表せないのはなぜでしょうか。ご高見をお願いします!

• 英語の添削をお願いいたします。

My fatherというタイトルです My father sells car parts. He works every day.He never takes a day off. This is because he works for me. I can go to university because he works for me. Therefore,I am grateful to him. 変なところありますか?ご指摘お願いします。

• out toの意味

I used to drive two or three hours from San Jose to Santa Rosa to be with him at the [police] academy. He was staying in a hotel, and I would hide out in the room all day because he wasn't out to the other guys. ここでのout toの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• pass him off

My husband and I have a professional acquaintance I’ve never really liked—he gives me the creeps—but tolerated for our business’ sake. Whenever he calls I am polite and quickly pass him off to my husband. pass him off to my husbandはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

I suffer from very severe clinical depression and anxiety disorder. I am under a doctor’s care, but I still have times when these issues overwhelm me. Recently, my life has been more stressful than usual. I have tried to talk to my husband about my depression in the past, but he just tells me that I have a good life and I shouldn’t feel that way. I told him I don’t feel like I can talk to him about what is going on with me because of these responses. He assures me he is my biggest supporter and I can talk to him about anything. This past weekend I told my husband I was feeling very depressed, and his response was to roll his eyes and say, “What’s wrong with you now?” I told him again that these reactions are why I don’t feel like I can actually talk to him. His response was to get angry with me because I refuse to realize how good I have it. how good I have itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• enable

My husband, "Paul," wants nothing to do with my 36-year-old son, "Alan." I admit that Alan lived with us too long and has done some terrible things, but he's my son and I love him. I've enabled him because of his health problems. He has diabetes, epilepsy and vision problems and, in the past year, has lost 80 pounds. ここでのenabledはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• pick me up

My husband forces me to give him hugs. I know this sounds like a really stupid problem to have. He has created a “hug toll,” and he won’t let me leave the room until I give him a hug. Here are some examples. I am running late for work and need to rush out the door. He will physically block my exit until I give him a hug. He doesn’t do this in a way that will hurt me; he’ll just pick me up until I give him his hug then he’ll let me go. pick me upは「抱え上げる」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします