What does 'hold out on' mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Hold out on is a phrase that means to refuse to give or share something that is desired or expected.
  • In the context of the question, the person's older sister is holding out on certain assets, such as their father's house, their grandparents' home, and an empty lot.
  • This refusal to give up or share these assets is causing anger and tension between the person and their older sister.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

hold out on

I have recently started to have some serious anger issues toward my older sister. She has had a major drug problem for years so I started to slowly cut her out of my and my husband and child’s lives. We tried it all, interventions, etc., but nothing worked. When my father passed away in 2012, it was his wish that we split everything 50/50. She started selling equipment and pocketed the money. Once I found out about it, we had a huge blowup. I started the process to open his estate and wanted to finish it as quickly as possible. She held out on things she wanted: his house, my grandparents’ home, an empty lot. hold out onはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4073/5300)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9667/12015)
回答No.4

>hold out onはどのような意味でしょうか? ⇒hold out onは大きく分けて2つの意味用法があります。 (1)「(人に)隠しごとをする」。 (2)「(人の)求めに応じないでいる」。 この場合は、 「姉が亡父の財産を(姉妹で等分して相続することになっているのに)勝手に売却して着服するので、それをやめさせるために財産目録を開示しようとした」 という内容に、 She held out on things she wanted: his house, my grandparents’ home, an empty lot. と続くわけですから、意味用法(2)だと思います。 すなわち、この文の訳はこうなります。 「彼女(姉)は、父の家、祖父母の家、空地など、自分が欲しいものを(自分のものだと言って)開示に応じようとしなかった」。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (2)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.3

No.1 です。訂正です。 ここで "hold out on" は「隠し立てしておく」ではなく、「(父の遺産の内、彼女が欲しいと思う物件を分割することに)抵抗する」でした。 [hold out]:https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=hold+out 失礼致しました。m(__)m

corta
質問者

お礼

いえいえ、ご回答ありがとうございます

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

"hold out on" 「ひた隠す/伏せておく」だと思います。 [ご参考] https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/hold+out+on She held out on things she wanted. 「彼女は自分が欲しいものをひた隠しにしていた。」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• called her out on it

I've been with "Betty" for 20 years. Last week, a repairman came to fix the phone line. On his way out, Betty followed him and said in a sexy voice, "I like bald-headed men. You come back." Betty didn't know I overheard what she said until I walked in after she had picked up the phone to call her girlfriend. She then told the woman that it probably hurt my feelings. She's right. It hurt my feelings and made me realize she really didn't care one whit about me. When I called her out on it, she claimed she was just being friendly. called her out on itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• on our end

Yesterday my husband and I spent three hours on the road, traveling from our home to our nephew's college football game. We told my sister we planned to attend his game and gave up tickets to a Division I game in our hometown. I called my sister on the way there to ask whether she could save us seats. It was then that I found out she wouldn't be attending her son's game. Instead, she had gotten tickets to the game we were missing. The weather was perfect. The tickets cost only $5 each. And our nephew played about half the game. The problem occurred after the game, when we stood on the field. We were next to my brother-in-law, waiting to greet our nephew, but we were completely ignored the whole time. First my nephew stopped at the other end of the field to greet his girlfriend. He finally appeared on our end and stopped on the right side of us to greet his friends and their father. on our endはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• wait out my feelings

My father died two years ago from complications due to alcoholism. It was a long time coming, and I lived on the other side of the country and did not want to deal with the daily aspects of his care. My mom took care of him as he died but only in the most cursory ways—feeding and housing him. In all other ways she seemed to hate him: freezing him out and ignoring him when he spoke. I firmly believe that my mom should have left him, and it makes me angry at her for staying with him and enabling his alcoholism. I am having a lot of trouble talking to my mom now. I feel angry every time we speak. I currently can’t afford counseling, so my only strategy is to avoid her and wait out my feelings, which since my dad’s death have wavered between clinginess, distance, annoyance, and anger. wait out my feelingsはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 間違いを教えてください

1 After the war being over,I started on my travels. 2 Wearing only a light sweater, the cold wind drove me indoors. 3 She must be looking forward as much to his return as he his himself to see her. 4. Meeting her before,I easily recognized her. 5. Ever since we left home,it has not stopped to rain. 6. He allows his children have thier own way. 7. He turned pale and felt his hands grew cold よろしくお願いします!和訳も教えてください!!

• make it on their own

I dated "Carol" for more than eight years. I loved her and wanted to marry her. The problem was her children (now aged 37 and 42), who have not grown up to be mature adults. Carol knew from the beginning that if we ever broke up, it would be because of them. I spent every weekend with her. The kids had a tendency to go through my personal belongings when we were on a date and when we slept. I had to hide my checkbook, wallet, truck and house keys. Her kids still live there and put forth zero effort to make it on their own. make it on their ownは「自立する」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 何か省略されているのでしょうか

My mother chooses to hide the fact that her boyfriend is a pedophile. He abused me 15 years ago, when I was a teenager, and it still haunts me. Mom broke up with him for a short period of time, but they got back together, and the abuse started again. She didn't want to press charges because it would mess up his retirement. She is still seeing this man. I have had great therapy. My wonderful husband and I have a 5-year-old daughter. We used to allow her to stay overnight at Grandma's until she told us that Grandma took her to her boyfriend's house. I wrote my mother a letter and told her that as long as this man is in her life, we wouldn't be. we wouldn't beは何か省略されているのでしょうか?意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• flew her out

My father began dating four years after my mother passed away from a terrible bout with cancer. He and I have always been close; in fact, I have always considered him to be one of my best friends. But since he started dating he has changed. I just traveled across the country for a family funeral and discovered that he has a new love in his life, and that he flew her out to see all of our extended family. My dying grandmother got to meet her, but I didn't even know her name! flew her outはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、got toはcouldに置き換えられるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

"And attempted to forge the will?" I said. She stopped. "What are you saying?" "Does he admit that he tried to forge his mother's will?" "I haven't mentioned anything about a will." "Oh, I thought you had." "But, in fact, that was his sister's accusation. What made you say that? How did you know?" "I must be psychic, I said." She took my arm. I had become a most endearing case history. "You must be psychic indeed," she said. "You must tell me more about yourself. Well, that's the story of my taking up my present profession. When my husband started having these delusions and making these confessions I felt I had to understand the workings of the mind. And I began to study them. It has been fruitful. It has saved my own reason." "Did it ever occur to you that the sister's story might be true?" I said. "Especially as he admits it." She took away her arm and said, "Yes, I considered the possibility. I must admit I considered it well. She saw me watching her face. She looked as if she were pleading some personal excuse. "Oh do," she said, "please take off those glasses." "Why don't you believe his own confession?" "I'm a psychiatrist and we seldom believe confessions." She looked at her watch as if to suggest I had started the whole conversation and was boring her. I said, "He might have stopped seeing eyes if you'd taken him at his word." She shouted, "What are you saying? What are you thinking of? He wanted to give a statement to the police, do you realize...." "You know he's guilty," I said. "As his wife," she said, "I know he's guilty. But as a psychiatrist I must regard him as innocent. That's why I took up the subject." She suddenly turned angry and shouted, "You damned inquisitor, I've met your type before." I could hardly believe she was shouting, who previously had been so calm. "Oh, it's not my business," I said, and took off my glasses to show willing. I think it was then she recognized me. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖のまわりを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ここでこの物語は終わりになります。 ***************************************************** As his wife," she said, I know he's guilty. But as a psychiatrist I must regard him as innocent. というDr Grayのセリフがあるのですが、 以前に Then there was an accident, one of those psychological accidents. She was a trained dispenser, but she mixed herself the wrong eye-drops. Now it's very difficult to make a mistake like that, normally. But subconsciously she wanted to, she wanted to. But she wasn't normal, she was not normal." とあって、姉は潜在的に盲目になりたくて点眼薬の調合を間違えたのだと思っていたのですが、 結局つまり、姉の点眼薬を別の劇薬にすり替えたのは弟(Dr Grayの夫)だったのか。 最後のオチがよくわからなくなってしまいました。 もしわかるようでしたら教えてください。お願いします。 (英語そのものの質問ではないのでここまで物語を読んでいただいていない方には質問の内容がわからなくて申し訳ないです。) 前文は I had my glasses on again, and was walking on. "How did your husband react to his sister's accusations?" I said. "He was remarkably kind." "Kind?" "Oh, yes, in the circumstances. Because she started up a lot of gossip in the neighbourhood. It was only a small town. It was a long time before I could persuade him to send her to a home for the blind where she could be looked after. There was a terrible bond between them. Unconscious incest." "Didn't you know that when you married him? I should have thought it would have been obvious." She looked at me again. "I had not studied psychology at that time," she said. I thought, neither had I. We were silent for the third turn about the lake. Then she said, "Well, I was telling you how I came to study psychology and practise it. My husband had this breakdown after his sister went away. He had delusions. He kept imagining he saw eyes looking at him everywhere. He still sees them from time to time. But eyes, you see. That's significant. Unconsciously he felt he had blinded his sister. Because unconsciously he wanted to do so. He keeps confessing that he did so." となっています。

• 意味がわかりません

What happened was that when we original were planning the trip it was at the beginning of the year and I had put in my request for vacation But as we got closer to the trip Mark gave me the dates he wanted to go back But it was different than what my original vacation days are So I had to put in a new request to change my vacation days and right now I'm not sure if they are going to allow me to change the vacation days So right now I'm waiting to see if my company will OK the changes 特に、But as we got closer to the trip Mark gave me the dates he wanted to go backの部分がよく意味がわかりません。

• よろしくお願いします

Anyway, I have always had a car. I have made the car payments and the insurance payments and had "custody" of my car except when I have been physically unable to drive. (I have epilepsy, and the state won't let you drive for six months after a seizure.) A few months ago, I had to move out of my parents' house and in with my sister for my sanity and space. My brother asked whether he could borrow my car for a few days until he could get his fixed. I said yes, but I let him know that I needed it back after a few days for my own needs. Then my mom started to ask for him, and it has evolved into a situation in which I have had my car for about nine or 10 days out of the past 30. ここでのfor my sanityの訳し方を教えてください。あと、I have had my car for about nine or 10 days out of the past 30. の意味もよろしくお願いします