• ベストアンサー

enlarge your pool

(夫に先立たれて新しい恋人を探している、という投稿に対して)It's time to join some different dating sites and enlarge your pool of dating prospects. 辞書にそれらしい意味がなかったのですが、ここでのpoolはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

辞書にそれらしい意味がなかったのですが、ここでのpoolはどのような意味でしょうか? ここのpoolは、下記の1名詞の6「予備要員」です。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=pool  もともとプールは「水たまり」で、やがてモータープールのように「自動車置き場」、まさかの時に使う予備の人、という意味になります。  今までとは違った出会いサイトに加わったり、予備のデート相手の溜まり場をもっと広げる時ですね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• in the pool of

I’m not even that fussed with marriage. Either that man is the right one or he’s not; marriage won’t change a thing about it. I’ve never wanted children, so I also have the benefit of having plenty of time. I joke, although I’m always at least half-serious, that I’ll find a life partner in the pool of divorcées, sometime in my 40s or 50s. ここでのin the pool of の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• "put some nickels in your penny loafers”の意味

アメリカの映画を見ていて、こんな表現が出てきました。 “Did you put some nickels in your penny loafers?” 状況としては「お前はどんな悪いことをしたんだ? Did you put some nickels in your penny loafersでもしたか?」 という感じです。 これはどういう意味なのでしょう?辞書を調べてもよく分かりませんでした。どなたか分かる方、教えていただけますか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• get one of your balls

It’s just a practical way of making sure when she’s done with you, you can get one of your balls back. 結婚する男性に、その友人が婚前交渉をしたのかと聞いて、その後で続けて言ったセリフです。 どんんあ意味になるのでしょうか。どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• GreenDay-Good Riddance(Time Of Your life)

Green DayというバンドでGood Riddance(Time Of Your Life)というとてもいい曲が有るのですが・・・ 質問です。 辞書で「Good Riddance」 を調べるとと「やれやれ」「~(誰か)がどこかへ行ってくれてせいせいする」などの意味しか出てきません。しかしながらこの曲を書いたビリーはそういうニュアンスで使っているとはまったく思わないのです。ちなみにこの曲はビリーがライブの最後に必ず歌うという名曲で、自分なりには悪口のような解釈にはとれません。 どのような解釈をすればよいでしょうか? 回答よろしくお願いします。

• time and energy willing

Maybe it’s a side gig, something you do outside of your day job, time and energy willing. time and energy willingの意味を教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• I gotta help your~

A:I gotta help your pathetic family. B:Oh, that sounds like something a chicken would say. Bawk. Bawk. A:You done did it this time. It’s on. この掛け合いで、なぜchickenが出てきて、鳴き声をまねするのか分かりません。どういう意味になるのか、教えていただけないでしょうか。よろしくお願いいたします!

• 名詞が連続している?

your ( ) job prospects あなたの潜在的な仕事の可能性 という英文(一部だけ抜き出してます)があり、カッコ内に入る選択肢が 1.potentiality 2.potential 3.potent 4.potentially 答えは2番なのですが、そのときの解説が「カッコの後ろが名詞なので形容詞の2番」とありました。 3と4が違うのは分かります。 カッコ内の言葉が後ろの言葉を修飾する立場なので形容詞というのも分かりました。 しかしjob とprospectsはどういう関係なのでしょうか。 名詞がならんでいるのですか?post office みたいにjob prospects の二語で1つの言葉なのでしょうか。 またprospects of your potential job ではダメなのですか? あとあなたの潜在的な仕事の可能性という日本語の意味がよく分からないです。 質問ばかりですみません。

• Protecting Your ipad3

Following the initial investment of the ipad 3 ($499.00 - $829.00), the most important question one should ask themselves is: How can I best protect my new purchase?The answer is simple : A case (and, for me, a screen protector). Finding the right case, however, involves a far more in-depth process of how you plan to use your ipad 3. Will it stay home undisturbed except for the occasional movie in bed, or are you constantly on-the-go needing protection from jolting bus rides or the scratches of everything else you've thrown into your book bag.There are some options, including sleeves, hard cases, and soft cases. Sleeves offer lightweight protection for each day use. They routinely have zippered closures, though some sleeves simply slide in and out, and come in a variety of colors and finishes. You can find them in physical stores, online, or can choose to find a pattern and make one yourself. They do not offer much in the protection against dents, though - so if you're rougher than average on your equipment, you may want to consider different things. Hard cases offer a greater protection than sleeves do against dings and dents. By design, most of them are polycarbonate shells and therefore are lighter in weight than you would expect while still offering users use of all of the ports. A tough case ensures that your ipad 3 will stay protected while you're on the go and many of them works in conjunction with Apple's smart covers. Most of the hard cases also provide built in rotation capabilities to view your ipad in a large number of positions and provide equal protection to the front and back of the device. Most soft cases happen to be designed to double as a stand of some sort. While it won't necessarily shield you against dents like a hard case would, your ipad is considered reasonably protected with a soft case / cover combination. Some are a silicone sleeve which literally comes around the corners of your ipad to protect the corners and sides from chips that derive from dropping it and others snap into place and provide most of their protection in the form of a build in screen protector. Whatever case you wind up choosing for your ipad 3, ensure that it is going to work for your requirements. It may cost a little more than you had been hoping to spend, however in the end, it's cheaper than having to buy a new device.

• The Windmills of Your Mind(風のささやき)の歌詞について

昔Dusty Springfieldという女性歌手が歌っていた、The Windmills of Your Mind「風のささやき」という歌が好きで、今でもよく聴いています。この歌詞について、わからない所がありますのでお尋ねします。 Like a tunnel that you follow To a tunnel of its own のa tunnel of its ownの意味がよくわかりません。辞書には一応of one's ownで「自分自身の」とか「固有の」という意味が載っていますが、これでは意味が通じないような気がします。 トンネルをたどっていくと また別のトンネルへと続く と訳してみましたがどうでしょうか。  それとこれはわかる範囲でお教えいただきたいのですが、この歌の歌詞っていったい何を歌っているのでしょうか。roundな物の名前がいっぱい出てきますが、途中には「恋人たちが浜辺を歩き足跡を残す」という部分もあります。他の歌にはないような歌詞なので、ずっと考え込んでいます。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

(あなたに彼氏が出来ない理由としては)b) the arbitrary dating pool of your high school is generally short on dudes who'd be a good match with you, http://community.sparknotes.com/2014/03/19/auntie-sparknotes-am-i-repellent-to-guys 和訳をよろしくお願いします