Searching for the Green Light and The Meaning of the Dandelion Clock

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In a nostalgic moment, the protagonist Alex finds themselves searching for a winking green light, their signal from years ago.
  • Although there is nothing there now, the protagonist can't shake off the feeling that they might still catch a glimpse of it.
  • The three blinks of green from the dandelion clock used to signify the time to set off, but the protagonist realizes that there is no longer a hermit waiting for them.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない個所を教えてください。

I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear.(前回の終わりの部分です) I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of it: the suspicion that I might catch it out of the corner of my eye – the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off. I shake my head. There is no hermit any more. There never was a hermit; not a real one. I look up at the sky again. It’s not the time of year for the shooting stars yet; a few months must pass before the Perseids wash through the Earth’s orbit and burn briefly through the high atmosphere. Jamie tells me all about them. We watch them together. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 JamieはAlexの幼友達です。 I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. のところがわかりません。 私は谷の頂上で暗闇を探している。。。私の合図であるウィンクしている緑の光に対して??search for~で熟語になっているような気もするのですが。。。 There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of itの最後のitはthe winking green light ですか? the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off.ここのthe dandelion clockはこの作品のタイトルにもなっているのですが、 ここの英文の意味はどうやってとるのでしょうか?(the dandelion clock はタンポポの綿毛?it is time to set off=出発の時間である? from up byの前置詞が繋がっているところがよくわかりません) thatは関係代名詞でしょうか?先行詞はthe three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clockですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9719/12087)
回答No.1

ひどく難解な問題ですね。 想像力(妄想力?)を駆使して、以下のとおりお答えします。 >I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. のところがわかりません。 私は谷の頂上で暗闇を探している。。。私の合図であるウィンクしている緑の光に対して??search for~で熟語になっているような気もするのですが。。。 ⇒「私はふと(気がつくと)、谷上の暗闇の中に、合図となる緑光が明滅するのを探しているのだ」。search for ~で「~を探す」。 >There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of itの最後のitはthe winking green light ですか? ⇒「そこには何もない。なのに、私はそれから逃れられない(探すのをやめられない)」。 最後のitは、"searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light"でしょう。 >the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off.ここのthe dandelion clockはこの作品のタイトルにもなっているのですが、 ⇒「緑の葉が三度ほど輝くと、それは、タンポポの頭のあたりから綿毛が飛び立つ時分だ、という意味なのだ」。 *the dandelion clock「タンポポの綿毛(の飛び立ち)」という作品のタイトルから「旅立ち」とか「一人立ち」などを象徴しているのかも知れませんね。 >ここの英文の意味はどうやってとるのでしょうか?(the dandelion clock はタンポポの綿毛?it is time to set off=出発の時間である? from up byの前置詞が繋がっているところがよくわかりません) ⇒上の訳文でも示しましたが、the dandelion clockは、おっしゃるとおり「タンポポの綿毛」、it is time to set offは、「飛び立ちの時間である」、from up by(前置詞句)は、「~の上(頭)あたりから」。 >thatは関係代名詞でしょうか?先行詞はthe three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clockですか? ⇒そう考えることもできますね。→blinks that mean ~「~を意味するところの輝き」という解釈ですね。 他方、このthatを接続詞とみなす方法もあり得るかも知れません。→three ~ that…「三度も~すると…(する)」という解釈です。 *全体が(特にこの部分は)散文詩的筆致ですね。ですから、およそ一般文法の解釈法が通用しそうもありませんので、すみませんが、説明について自信は、ありません)。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

表現が難しくて、なかなか意味が捉えられなかったのですが、回答をいただいてなるほど、そういう事を言っていたのか、と内容を把握することができました。 助かりました! また、散文詩的筆致ということで文法的な事は解釈が困難であることもわかりました。 お手数をお掛けしてしまい、恐縮です。本当にありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• わからない箇所を教えてください。

In my head there is a ghost of a voice: my voice, lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time. It's still a crap joke, Jamie, I hear myself saying; and a moment later, there is the ghost of Jamie's voice also: All the best ones are. ********************* 「the Dandelion clock」からの抜粋部分なのですが、 最後のAll the best ones are. の意味がよくわかりません。 またmy voice, lodged somewhere ~のlodgedの意味は心に留まる、記憶に残る、という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

"It's Alex," I say. "Alex. How's Italy?" His voice sounds very far away; a bad connection, perhaps. "It's fine." "And the house and so on? Everything sorted out all right?" "Well---" I say. "Not yet. I mean, there's---" "Is it legal stuff?" he breaks in. "You don't need to worry about that kind of thing. You've seen the attorney there?" "Yes," I say. "I got the key from him yesterday. I was going to call in again on my way back. But it's not that. It's--- the place is really run down, Max." I grope for a way to explain it to him. "I mean, it's a terrible mess. I don't think anyone would touch it the way it is at the moment." "Oh," he says. "Yes. I see. Are there structural problems?" "I don't know. I don't think so. I mean, the verandah--the one my mother had---well, that's all rotted at one end. And the chimney's broken loose. From the stove. I think a storm did that. I've hardly had a proper look---I'm going to do that today. There are bound to be other things as well. I mean, there's a window broken in the room where I slept, and the garden's---the garden's awful. It needs work doing on it, that's all. It's mostly small things." ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 "I got the key from him yesterday. I was going to call in again on my way back. But it's not that. It's--- the place is really run down, Max." のBut it's not that. は、Alexが帰りの途中で代理人に電話をしなかった(いまだにしていない)、ということですか?itとthatの代名詞が使われていてよくわからなかったのですが。 "I mean, it's a terrible mess. I don't think anyone would touch it the way it is at the moment." のat the momentは、「今の所は」という意味だと思うのですが、 I don't think anyone would touch it at the moment.とすると 全体の意味が変わってしまうのでしょうか? the way it is at the moment.の個所について、なぜthe way it isが入っているのかがわかりません。 最後の方にあるIt needs work doing on it, that's all.のon itは庭で、ということですか?workは単に作業の意味でしょうか?修理ですか?that's allとありますがthatはAlexが話した家の壊れた個所のことですか?それですべてだよ、みたいな。 たくさんになってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない箇所について教えてください。

"The valley is sharp, and Altesa extends about a quarter of the way up it from the sea. The buildings of the town are huddled together between shoulders of land that rise on either side. From the very top of the town, the coast is only an hour’s walk away, if you’re young. You can go the whole way in bare feet in that time. The beaches are rocky, and there are inlets and coves hidden away which can be reached only by the cliffs, or by scrambling around promontories. In summer, the sea from the cliffs is hugely blue, like deeply fired ceramic, but glittering with motion. Gentle Mediterranean currents guide the shoals of fishes, and underwater the rocks are furred with weed and patterned with constantly moving bands of cool light." Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** Altesa extends about a quarter of the way up it from the sea.の個所について。 Altesaというのは地名だと思うのですが、about a quarter of the way up it from the sea.のところがわかりません。itはThe valleyですか?about a quarter(4分の1?) of the wayとは? The buildings of the town are huddled together between shoulders of land that rise on either side. の個所について。 shoulders of land that rise on either side.のところがよくわかりません。どんな感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I go into Altesa early the next morning and call Max. The sky has cleared from the rainstorm, but the valley is still steeped in moisture that the sun hasn't yet parched away. Down beyond the clustered houses, wave-crests dance brightly in the shallow bay, but further out, the deeper waters of the Mediterranean glower green and brown, still sullen from the force of the wind and rain. "It's Alex," I say. "Alex. How's Italy?" His voice sounds very far away; a bad connection, perhaps. "It's fine." ****************************************** 前回投稿させていただいた「the Dandelion clock」の2章の冒頭部分なのですが (前回の質問部分よりもちょっと前の個所です) the deeper waters of the Mediterranean glower green and brown, still sullen from the force of the wind and rain.のところがわかりません。 glowerは「にらむ」という意味だと思うのですが、ここではthe deeper waters of the Mediterraneanが主語なので、にらむというとどういう感じになるのでしょうか? またsullenは形容詞だと思うのですが、「陰鬱な」という意味で、still being sullenというのが本来の形なのでしょうか?(なおいっそう陰鬱である、と読むのでしょうか) 教えてください。 お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can feel my mind floating through the questions, drifting. There is almost a physical sensation. I remember this. I remember it from very, very long ago, and I fight it, pushing it back from me.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie says, ‘Oh, Alex is no good with things like that. If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.’ He grins, and his eyes sparkle for a moment in the afternoon sun. ‘He’s mad,’ he adds. There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me, cracked where a stone has struck it. I stare at it: the central star-like contact point, the silver-edged cracks radiating from it like ribbons of metal. I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices. The little fused nebula of dense, almost white craquelure around the hole – a starburst, a sudden splash in flat-calm water, like gossamer— Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。JamieとAnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。(If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.の中のheは誰を指しているのかはよくわかりません) ************************************* There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me,の意味を取ると、「私の隣にフランス窓があって、壊れた一枚のガラスがあります」みたいな感じですか?next to me=私の隣に? I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices.のinsteadのところがわからないのですが、Jamieの声を私の頭から追いやるよりも、この壊れた窓ガラスに集中する、ですか? Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— のher precisionは「彼女の精密さ」ですか?意味的にどういうことを言っているのかちょっとピンとこないのですが。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Lena shows me how to make a cat’s-cradle and pass it from person to person; I stretch string tight and twang it, feeling the quick-dying vibrations in my hands; I coil string tightly around my thumb and leave a red spiral mark when I take it off, neat grooves running all the way up. (前回の終わりの部分です) This problem is easier, though. The boy – Jamie – Pleased to meet you – wants to get over the wall, but there’s no tree like the one I have. I think it through, and am pleased to realize he has gone to get a ladder, when there is a scuffling sound off to my left, on my side of the wall. I look round, and to my surprise see Jamie coming round the end of the wall. I drop down from where I’m hanging and go to meet him. ‘How’d you do that?’ I ask, impressed. ‘I went round,’ he says. ‘I ran. It is higher back here, isn’t it?’ After a second or two, I start to see what he means. If you go out of the front gate of his house, and followed the wall to your left, and went through the fence that runs beside the road, and kept following the wall round the next corner – you would be here, at the back. The idea is amazing. In another couple of seconds, I see that I can do the same from my front gate, turning right instead of left. It has never occurred to me before that this might be possible. You get to the rocks and the lizards by going up the tree and over, that is how it has always worked. I have never imagined— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) I think it through, and am pleased to realize he has gone to get a ladder, when there is a scuffling sound off to my left, on my side of the wall.について、when there is a scuffling sound off to my leftの個所がわかりません。私の左側に動き回る音が遠くにあるとき?? I look round, and to my surprise see Jamie coming round the end of the wall.が、よくわからないのですが、主人公が驚いた理由は、Jamieが壁の端のあたりにやってきたことなのでしょうか?どういう事で驚いたのでしょうか??梯子を持って来なかったことに驚いた、ということですか? ‘I went round,’ he says. ‘I ran. It is higher back here, isn’t it?’のItは何を指しているのでしょうか? The idea is amazing.とあるのですが、The ideaとは今主人公がいる地点にどうやって辿りつくか、というアイディアだと思うのですが、読んでみたところ、あまり状況のイメージが掴めない感じです。つまりは、主人公自身ももっと簡単に今の場所に辿りつける方法があった(木を使わずに辿りつく方法)、ということがわかった、というようなことなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— (前回の終わりの部分です) I shiver, rub my eyes. I am back where I should be. It is gone now; I looked last night, before going to sleep. So much has changed. In all the time that has passed, I suppose it would be strange if it hadn’t. The hall and the kitchen and the front room have been repainted. The colours are all wrong. As an artist I know this. The colours aren’t right for the rooms, or for the house. The kitchen: the kitchen has always been white. Now it is a pale russet which, in yesterday’s evening light, makes it look like an abattoir. The front room, which my mother had painted herself – a kind of smoky umber which made it very cosy and comforting – is now a light, airy blue, cavernous and sterile. They are errors of judgement, all of them, and I imagine – as with the window – people getting an unconscious sense of something amiss, something not right, from the colours. It frustrates me. Upstairs, the walls are the wrong colours. And the ceiling of my room – Anna’s ceiling of stars – has been painted over. That is the worst thing. She had said it was like the night sky when the sun has died, but the real night hasn’t yet come. I can see her reaching up to paint in the last details: careful, always accurate, until at last the ceiling is set with glittering silver against an expanse of blue-black that pulls your eye in and in for ever. ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。 Upstairs, the walls are the wrong colours. And the ceiling of my room – Anna’s ceiling of stars – has been painted over. That is the worst thing. で言っていることは、Alexの部屋の天井、Annaの描いた星の天井は塗りつぶされてしまい、それが最悪の事だ、ということですか? She had said it was like the night sky when the sun has died, but the real night hasn’t yet come. のthe real night hasn’t yet come.をそのまま訳すと、彼女は太陽がなくなったとき、それは夜空のようだと言った。しかし本当の夜はまだ来ていない。ですか?when the sun has diedというのは、もしそうなったら、ということを言っているのでしょうか?(ifを使ってもいいような感じもするのですが) She had said とthe sun has diedで、時制が一致していないのですが、なぜなのでしょうか? 一番最後の部分ですが、careful, always accurate, until at last the ceiling is set with glittering silver against an expanse of blue-black that pulls your eye in and in for ever.の pulls your eye in and in for everの個所で、your eyeの後ろにinがついているのはどうしてなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• この英文の読み方を教えてください

My treasure is this clock. This clock is a thing that father bought for the entrance celebration. When it is father, I want to value this clock from seeming though this clock is bought and father has died one week later. マイ・・・・以降からの読み方を教えてください。お願いします。