• 締切済み

customersは単数扱い?複数扱い?

私が、 "However, when the customers satisfy a prescribed condition, each bank does not charge them the cost as for preferential treatments." という英文を書いたところ、ネイティブの方に、satisfy をsatisfiesと添削され、以下のように説明されました。私は、"customers"は当然複数であり、したがって動詞も原型の"satisfy"とすべきと思ったのですが、"customers"はhe/she/itと同様の単数扱いなのでしょうか。どうかご教示お願いいたします。 「添削者の解説」 You will want to use satisfies for this. It is a little bit tricky, but for present tense of the word "satisfy" you will want to use satisfies when talking about a someone using a pronoun, name, or generic classification. Below I have a list of when to use satisfy, or satisfies. Pretty much every situation uses satisfy, except he/she/it. Customers, John, David, etc also will be treated like he/she/it. If you were saying the sentence with yourself as the subject you would say. "However, when I satisfy a prescribed condition..." so you would use satisfy. This can be used with other words that end with "fy". Like justify. I justify, you justify, he/she/it justifies. I satisfy you satisfy he/she/it satisfies we satisfy you satisfy they satisfy

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

回答No.3

現実の英語では a customer という単数を they で受けることがあります。 he では性の問題が出るというのもありますが、 単数でも a customer で総称的なら、代名詞は複数で受ける。 でも、この人は逆を行ってますね。 customers は複数になっているのに、三人称だから he/she/it で受けることになり、satisfies だと。 三人称なら何でも -s がついて、単数・複数を区別していないかのよう。 ネイティブと言ってもさまざま。 日本語ネイティブの日本人が正しい日本語を使うとは限りません。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

英語圏の小学校に英語を教える先生がいるのは、ネイティブでも間違える人がいるからです。

回答No.1

ネイティブがそう言うならそうなんじゃないですか?

関連するQ&A

• 英語の単数複数について

ネットで調べてるとクレジットカードで支払いできますか(カード使えますか)の英訳が以下のようなものがありました。 1. Can I pay with a credit card? 2. Can I pay by credit card? 3. Can I use a credit card? 4. Do you take credit cards? 1.のwithを使った文や3.の文ではaが付いてます、ところが2のbyではaがありません、そして4に至ってはカードが複数形になっています。 別のサイトには1.の例題でもaがなかったりするものもありどれが正解かわかりません。 有無の違い、そして複数形になる4との違いがわかりませんどなかたご教示願います。

• ( )に入る適切な語句を教えてください

1,I am surprised to see you are already through with that difficult job.( ) (1)What did you finish it? (2)When do you finish it? (3)When have you finished it? (4)When will you finish it? 2Peter ( )to find a new apartment for some time (1)has been trying (2)was tired (3)is trying (4)goes to try 3When the plane finally took off,she ( )in her seat for more than three hours (1)sat (2)had been sitting (3)was sat (4)has sat 4He told me he would be here about seven.Anyway,I'll tell you when he ( ) (1)comes (2)came (3)would come (4)will come

• 間違いを教えてください

間違いを教えてください 1 when i have finished this task, I will go for a walk with you. 2 I am tired of the rain. It has been raining since last Sunday. 3 When I got off the bus, I found had my wallet stolen. 4 If you pass your exams, you shall have the bicycle you want. 5 He procession will be passing our house in about five minutes. 和訳も教えていただけたらうれしいです。 よろしくお願いします!

• 5時になったら帰ろうね。と英語で言いたいのですが。

自分でも考えてみました。 1・5時になったら帰るよ~ When it comes 5o'clock,we will go home. We are leaving here at 5o'clock. Come 5o'clock,we will go home. どれか使えそうな文はあるでしょうか~ あの、他にも教えていただきたい文があります。お時間がありましたらお願いいたします。 2・その糊、使い終わったら貸してください。 (子供がみんなで工作をしていて、糊を使っているお友達がいて、その糊を「使い終わったら貸して」と言いたい場合。 I want to use that paste when you have finished it . Pass me that paste when you have finished it. After you with that paste. I want to use that paste after you. 使えそうな文、あるでしょうか。 3・今日から4月だ! April starts from today! (これはかなり自信のない文です・・・) よろしくお願いいたします。

• Wouldの用法は全部で何個あるのでしょうか?

こんにちは。 いくら勉強してもWouldの使い方がいまいちわかりません、、、、。 Would you like~?I would like~.の形は丁寧な言い方というのはわかるのですが、その他の I would say no. He wouldn't be with me when I need. I wouldn't rush into this if I were you. If you want to see hem,he would be delighted. It would rain when I have a date. などの文で、どうしてwillじゃなくてwowuldを使うのか? どうしてここにwouldが来るのか? わかりません>< そして、wouldには全部で何個の意味があるのでしょうか?? 例文つきで教えて頂けたら嬉しいです:) そして、Couldの用法についてもついでに教えて頂けたら助かります! 読んでくれてありがとうございました!

• 翻訳をお願いします。

よろしくお願いいたします。 インドの方です。勝手に.をつけました。 切る場所が間違っている可能性もあります。 よろしくお願いいたします。 I had written to you earlier also that you will have to use the guide with whom. you are comfortable and he or she knows and understands your work. this has to be totally your decision as . you will have to make him work in your way. Regarding Mr Arora, i think you have to be more happy than him as. he is working for you for which you are paying him. but since he knows your work . you are comfortable. but he should know that in case he has made a mistake. he should be sorry for it and should not Repeat it again. When you come to Darjeeling. you can decide about your Kalimpong programme as. you will be in darjeeling for 10 days.

• make it a pointの意味を教えてください。

make it a pointの意味を教えてください。 いつもお世話になります。 make it a point は努めてなのか絶対なのかどちらでしょうか? I will make it a point to be with you every free time when you are here. 僕は君がここにいる時暇な時間は一緒にいるつもりでいいでしょうか? どちらにしても自分がしたいという意味ではないのでしょうか?

• 動詞を複数形にするときの基本

僕はまだ学校で英語を習ってないので基本的なことがよくわかりません(>_<) 参考書はむずかしいこどばばかりで理解できないので教えてください! I will ask you both a question about something of one you likes. (1)これはyou both が主語で、あなたたちどちらにも とゆう意味だから最後のlikesと複数形なのですか? ふつうのyouならlikeでいいですか? (2)三人称単数の疑問形の動詞にSはつかないですか? Does he ~ Where does she~ など 僕には三人称単数の意味すら分かりません(>_<) 三人なのに単数…? でもがんばって理解したいのでとうか教えて下さい!

• 翻訳できる方お願いします。変な文章に思えます…

翻訳できる方お願いします。変な文章に思えます… Hello love everything beautiful and wonderful but at the same time tormented and tired ... Love is beautiful when you feel your lover who loves you ... Be beautiful when you ask your lover to be beautiful when your lover by your side .. Be beautiful when it is shared joy and sadness will be beautiful when your pain is shared and the wounds .. Be nice when the medicine you .. Be nice when you hear your lover father and a mother you meet your affectionate brother and sister caring ... Be beautiful when found in nurseries makes you warm ... Be beautiful when it puts you in the chest compassionate .. Be beautiful when it puts you in his heart without any hesitation or thinking .. Be beautiful when shields in front of the Mnkhalafk ... Be beautiful when you defend in every place in every trip is defamation and insult defend you ... Be beautiful when it comes on a person other than the beloved and tell him I go, I will not be in the one day you would not say he will not betray my beloved, who have lost and sacrificed in everything for me, lost everything he had for me, lost the most expensive thing he has for me therefore I have a sincere or honest or sincere faith will not Okhounh one day I'll be with him until the end, I'll be in his arms I'll be when it needs to keep a sense of how you feel about their beloved Kalnevs feeling with your beloved to smile..

• ( )に入る単語を教えてください!

(    )の中に入る英語を教えてくださいませんか?よろしくお願いいたします。 1 You should look ( ) cars when you cross the street. ア about イ out of ウ out for エ over         ※ イかウの違いが分からず・・ 2 I ( ) reported it to the police, but I didn't. ア must have イ should ウ would エ should have ※ エ? 3 My father ( ) drink a lot but not any more. ア do イ is used to ウ used to エ was used to    ※ ウ? 4 They take great pride ( ) their old traditions. ア in イ of ウ on エ for                  ※ イ? 5 I will lend you the book when I ( ). ア finished it イ have finished it ウ will finish it エ will have finished it 6 I could not ( ) out what he meant. ア look イ make ウ set エ take ※イ? 7 彼は5行で5か所間違えた。   He made five mistakes in ( ) many lines. 8  He suddenly began to laugh. ( ) of a sudden, He began to laugh. 9 She is not such a fool as to quarrel with them. She ( ) ( ) than to quarrel with them. 10 For all his wealth, he wants more. ( ) he is wealthy, he wants more. 11 It has nothing to do with you. It has none ( ) ( ) ( ). どうぞよろしくお願いします。