正しいかどうか? 英文と日本語訳の比較

このQ&Aのポイント
  • ニューヨークの公立高校での経験について不満を抱いていた日本人大学院生の話。
  • 彼の英語力のために実力より下のクラスに配置されていた。
  • 彼のクラスメートは勉強よりもトラブルを起こすことに興味があった。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文と日本語訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

A Japanese graduate student who I interviewed at Stanford told me that he had been unhappy with his classmates and teachers when he attended a large public high school in New York years ago. During the course of the interview, I figured out that he had probably been placed in a class lower than his actual academic ability because his English was not yet fluent. His classmates were more interested in creating trouble than in studying. He thanked me for helping him figure out his experiences after all those years. 英文翻訳 「私がスタンフォード大学でインタビューした、ある日本人大学院生は、彼が何年も前にニューヨークの大きな公立の高校に通っていた時、自分のクラスメートや先生たちについてずっと不満であった、と私に言った。インタビューをしていて考えた末に分かったのは、英語がまだ流暢ではなかったので実際の学力よりも低いクラスに彼は入れられていたのだろう、ということである。彼のクラスメートは、勉強をするのより悪さをするのにより関心があった。自分の経験がいったい何だったか、そのことが起こってもう何年も経ってから、彼が理解するのを私が助けたことを、彼は私に感謝した。」

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9725/12097)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。完璧な訳文だと思いました。ですから、以下の★が改善になるかどうか、分かりません!(なるといいのですが…。) >A Japanese graduate student who I interviewed at Stanford told me that he had been unhappy with his classmates and teachers when he attended a large public high school in New York years ago. During the course of the interview, I figured out that he had probably been placed in a class lower than his actual academic ability because his English was not yet fluent. His classmates were more interested in creating trouble than in studying. He thanked me for helping him figure out his experiences after all those years. >「私がスタンフォード大学でインタビューした、ある日本人大学院生は、彼が何年も前にニューヨークの大きな公立の高校に通っていた時、自分のクラスメートや先生たちについてずっと不満であった、と私に言った。インタビューをしていて考えた末に分かったのは、英語がまだ流暢ではなかったので実際の学力よりも低いクラスに彼は入れられていたのだろう、ということである。彼のクラスメートは、勉強をするのより悪さをするのにより関心があった。自分の経験がいったい何だったか、そのことが起こってもう何年も経ってから、彼が理解するのを私が助けたことを、彼は私に感謝した。」 ★told me that he had been unhappy with his classmates and teachers:「自分のクラスメートや先生たちについてずっと不満であった、と私に語った」。「言った」→「語った」(おっと、取り上げるほどのことではありませんでした!)。 ★when he attended a large public high school in New York years ago:「彼が何年か前にニューヨークの大きな公立高校に通っていた時」。「何年も前」→「何年か前/数年前」。前にも同じようなことを言った気がします。「高校→大学院」でなく、「高校→中年」くらいなら、「何年も前」もアリでしょうが…。 ★During the course of the interview, I figured out that ~:「インタビューをしていて考えた末に分かったのは~、」→「インタビューをしている間に分かったのは、~」。「考えた末に」を取ればいいだけかも知れません。 ★His classmates were more interested in creating trouble than in studying.:「彼のクラスメートは、勉強をするのより悪さをするのにより関心があった」→「彼のクラスメートは、勉強することより悪さをする/ワル騒ぎをすることにより強い関心があった」。 ★He thanked me for helping him figure out his experiences after all those years.:「彼は私に、何年も経ってから自分の経験が何だったのか/自分の経験したことの意味を、私の手伝いで理解できたことを感謝した」。 ⇒「私がスタンフォード大学でインタビューした、ある日本人大学院生は、彼が数年前にニューヨークの大きな公立高校に通っていた時、自分のクラスメートや先生たちについてずっと不満であった、と私に語った。インタビューをしている間に分かったのは、彼はまだ英語が流暢でなかったので、実際の学力よりも低いクラスに入れられていたのだろう、ということである。彼のクラスメートは、勉強することよりワル騒ぎをすることにより強い関心があった。彼は私に、何年も経ってから自分の経験したことの意味を、私の手伝いで理解できたことを感謝した。」

iwano_aoi
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の訳が分かりません

英文の訳が分かりません But it had also been suggested by the book that he had just taken out of the drawer. it was a peculiarly beautiful book. its smooth creamy paper, a little yellowed by age, was of a kind that had not been manufactured for at least forty years past. He could guess, however, that the book was much older than that. He had seen it lying in the window of a frowzy little junk-shop in a slummy quarter of the town ( just what quarter he did not now remember ) and had been stricken immediately by an overwhelming desire to possess it. party members were supposed not to go into ordinary shops ( ‘dealing on the free market ’, it was called), but the rule was not strictly kept, because there were various things such as shoelaces and razor blades which it was impossible to get hold of in any other way. He had given a quick glance up and down the street and then had slipped inside and bought the book for two dollars fifty. At the time he was not conscious of wanting it for any particular purpose He had carried it guiltily home in his briefcase. Even with nothing written in it, it was a com-promising possession この英文を全訳してもらえるとありがたいです。

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (25) In spite of his poor health, Augustus lived to be 76 years old and reigned for 41 years as emperor. In the last years of his life, he realized that he must choose a successor. But whom? His beloved grandsons had both died young. With only one logical choice left, Augustus summoned his stepson Tiberius to Rome. He named this gloomy man as his co-ruler and successor. (26) In 14 CE, Augustus took a last journey by sea. He caught a chill in the night air and became quite ill. He called Tiberius to his bedside and spoke with him for a long time in private. Then, on August 19, knowing that the end was near, he called for a mirror and had his hair carefully combed. The biographer Suetonius tells the story: “he summoned a group of friends and asked ‘Have I played my part in the comedy of life believably enough?’” Then he added lines from a play: If I have pleased you, kindly show Appreciation with a warm goodbye. (27) Augustus Caesar had played many roles well: the dutiful heir of Julius Caesar; the victor over Antony; the reformer of Roman government; the generous sponsor of literature and art;and, in his final years, the kindly father figure of Rome─providing food, entertainment, and security to his people. Near the end of his life, he remembered: “When I was 60 years old, the senate, the equestrians, and the whole people of Rome gave me the title of Father of my Country and decreed that this should be inscribed in the porch of my house.” (28) When Augustus died, all Italy mourned, and the Senate proclaimed him a god. His rule marked a turning point in history. In his lifetime, the Roman Republic came to an end. but he rescued the Roman state by turning it into a system ruled by emperors─a form of government that survived for another 500 years. In an age in which many rules were called “saviors” and “gods,” Augustus Caesar truly deserved to be called the savior of the Roman people.

• 日本語訳をお願いします。

チャップリンの自伝の文章なのですが、日本語訳をお願いします。 I saw Frank Tinney again on the stage a few years later and was shocked, for the comic Muse had left him. He was so self-conscious that I could not believe it was the same man. It was this change in him that gave me the idea years later for my film Limelight. I wanted to know why he had lost his spirit and his assurance. In Limelight the case was age; Calvero grew old and introspective and acquired a feeling of dignity, and this divorced him from all intimacy with the audience.

• 英文の日本語訳と文法の構造について

英文 what did it turn out to be but pearl that by some chance had been lost in the yard? イソップ物語を英文で読んでいます。 その中で、The Wolf and the Lamb という話にでてくる上記の英文を訳せません。 what の用法がいまいち掴めません。疑問代名詞ではないと思うのですが、はっきりとその根拠をいえません。but の使いかたも、しかしと訳しえていいのか、全体文の訳がつかめません。 よろしくお願いします。 前部の文脈 A cock was once strutting up and down the farmyard among the hens when suddenly he espied something shinning amid the straw. Ho Ho quoth he,that`s for me, and soon rooted it out from beneath the straw. what did it turn out to be but that by some chance had been lost in the yard?

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (17) Patriotic writers like Livy took great pride in telling about brave Horatius and how he stopped the foreign attackers. Livy knew that the story was exaggerated and that his first-century readers wouldn't completely believe it. But he wasn't telling it to get the facts straight. He told it because it painted a picture of Roman courage at its best. Horatius represented the “true Roman.” (18) Even though Rome had abolished kingship, the Senate had the power to appoint a dictator in times of great danger. This happened in 458 BCE when the Aequi, an Italic tribe living west of Rome, attacked. The Senate sent for Cincinnatus, a farmer who had served as a consul two years earlier. The Senate's messengers found him working in his field and greeted him. They asked him to put on his toga so they might give him an important message from the Senate. Cincinnatus “asked them, in surprise, if all was well, and bade his wife, Racilia, to bring him his toga.... Wiping off the dust and perspiration, he put it on and came forward.” than the messengers congratulated Cincinnatus and told him that he had been appointed dictator of Rome.

• 次の英文の日本語訳をお願いします

It was a very demanding hike and we were very pleased that he hiked the trail like he had been doing it all his life. ホストファミリーが息子を登山に連れて行ってくれました 結構きつい行程だったようですが・・・ like~以下が特にわかりません よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 日本語訳を! 7-(4)

お願いします。 (12) You try to imagine what it had looked like that first season your grandfather worked here. Then it was nothing more than an empty plateau. You remember his stories of how they chose where to place he very first stones. The priests had tracked the movement of the stars in the Great Bear constellation across the night sky. Using the stars for bearings nd applying "the instrument of knowing," a simple handheld rod with a string that dropped straight to the ground, they had staked out the base. Then, in a symbolic ceremony, King Khufu himself had pointed out true north by lining up the headdress of a priestess with the star that was the hoof of the Great Bear. The calculations were so precise that thousands of years later modern scholars would discover the Great Pyramid as less than a tenth of a degree off true north. (13) The orientation was critical for the king's entrance to the afterlife. The pyramid represented his rampway to heaven. From the Pyramid Texts we learn that the pyramid was the "stairway in order to reach the heights...stairs to the sky, which are laid down for the king, that he may ascend thereon to the heavens." And your grandfather was there to see the first rock put in place.

• 16-1日本語訳

お願いします。  It was the summer of 327 BCE,and Ambhi,king of Taxila,was not a happy camper.For one thing,Taxila was no longer as powerful and wealthy as it had been when the Persians ruled there.He was glad the Persians had gone,of course.Every once in a while,they'd send someone around asking for taxes,but as long as he paid them,the Persians pretty much left King Ambhi and his people alone.Nevertheless,he probably wished that the powerful Persians army was still in town.He could have used its help.Taxila's neighbor to the southeast,King Porus,was a brave and intelligent man who wanted Ambhi's kingdom for himself.  Still,the gossip was that the Persian army itself had fallen on hard times.Some young Greek felkow named Sikander had popped up out of nowhere-Macedonia,actually,but that was as good as nowhere-and was busily conquering the whole world.The rumor was that this Sikanddr character had never lost a battle.Of course,you couldn't believe everything you heard.A young boy still in his 20s couldn't possibly have conquered everything from the Nile River to Afghanistan,not to mention the mighty Persians-but still...the stories might be true.  King Ambhi's heart must have sunk when a messenger arrived with news of the horrible defeat of one of Taxila's neighbors.When the Greek Sikander and his troops had arrived in his kingdom,the neighboring king had foolishly tried to fight.But resistance had been futile.Not only had the king lost,but his city had been burned and looted.And that,the messenger would have told King Ambhi,was no rumor.He'd seen the terrible scene himself.Now Sikander's army was on the move again.Next stop:Taxila.  For one desperate moment,King Ambhi must have wished that he and his people could somehow jump out of Sikander's way.And then he realized that,in a way,they could.

• In his defense

I unfriended a classmate on Facebook because he dismissed my feelings when I referenced his homophobic teasing 40 years ago (I came out in high school). A lot of classmates teased me, but this particular guy was the worst of the group. In his defense, he was an ass to everyone, In his defenseはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

For most conspicuous bravery. Finding that, after being heavily attacked in an advanced and isolated position, the enemy were working round his flanks, Captain Bloomfield evacuated his wounded, and subsequently withdrew his command to a new position, he himself being amongst the last to retire. On arrival at the new position he found that one of the wounded—No. 2475 Corporal D. M. P. Bowker—had been left behind. Owing to very heavy fire he experienced difficulties in having the wounded Corporal brought in.