英語の小説 内容

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英語で書かれた小説を読んでいる最中、内容が読み取れない不安があります。指導をお願いします。
  • ホテルのバルコニーで座っているMr Dunnは、神々が怒っていると感じました。嵐の中で足を包んだタオルの上に座っている彼は、寒さを感じます。
  • ビーチの状態が変わっていることにMr Dunnは気づきます。イオニア海は荒れ、ビーチは雨水で分かれています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の小説 内容

最近、英語で書かれた小説を読んでいるのですが、内容が読み取れているか不安です 指導をして下さい(><。) the gods indeed were angry Mr Dunn thought as he sat on the hotel balcony,a towel wrapped ruglike round his bare ,skinny shanks ,for it was chilly in the storm.神は本当に怒っていた、ダンは彼がホテルのバルコニーに座りタオルが彼の裸の皮膚の足中を包んだと思った、うすら寒い嵐の日に He still wore his blue-cotton holiday shorts, thought the warm weather had been replaced by a day that would have seemed normal in an English September彼はまだ休日らしい青い綿の半ズボンをはいていた、けれども暖かい天気は、イギリスの普通の9月のような日に取って代わった。 Beyond the oleanders and orange trees that edged the hotel garden and bordered the swimming pool, the Ionian sea raged grey, dotted with whitecaps ,and the beach, once fringed with golden sand ,was now drab-brown, riven where torrents of rainwater had poured down from the hills and into the sea.ホテルの庭やプールに接したセイヨウキョウチクトンやオレンジの木々の向こうで、イオニア海は荒れ狂い白波ができ、そのビーチはかつて金の砂を縁取り、今ではくすんだ茶色で分裂しそこでは雨水の激流が丘から海へと流れ出ていた。 The water ,once so clear, was muddied with stirred-up sand. Poseidon, Mr Dunn decided as he observed the scene through his binoculars, was demonstrating his power to goad the sea into a wild warning to mere humans. その水はかつてとてもきれいだったが、砂が混じり濁ってしまった。ポセイドン、ダンさんはその場面に気づいたと彼の眼を通して判断した、彼の力は海を人々に荒れた警告であらわにした。 なんか、所々おかしいですよね。 添削等お願いします^^

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9723/12095)
回答No.2

以下のとおりお答えします。 「原文・質問者さんの訳文・★(説明)・⇒添削訳文」の順に列挙します。 the gods indeed were angry Mr Dunn thought as he sat on the hotel balcony,a towel wrapped ruglike round his bare ,skinny shanks ,for it was chilly in the storm.神は本当に怒っていた、ダンは彼がホテルのバルコニーに座りタオルが彼の裸の皮膚の足中を包んだと思った、うすら寒い嵐の日に★(「神々が怒っている」というのは、ダン氏が考えていることです。)⇒「本当に神々が怒っているんだ」、あらしが吹いてうすら寒かったので、ダン氏は、むき出しの痩せこけたすねのあたりを膝掛けのようにタオルでくるみ、ホテルのバルコニーに座って、そう考えていました。 He still wore his blue-cotton holiday shorts, thought (→though) the warm weather had been replaced by a day that would have seemed normal in an English September彼はまだ休日らしい青い綿の半ズボンをはいていた、けれども暖かい天気は、イギリスの普通の9月のような日に取って代わった。★(よく訳せていると思います。ただし、"thought"は、"though"の誤植と見ました。)⇒彼は、まだ休日用の青い綿の短パンを履いていたが、暖かい天気が、イギリスの9月なら普通と思われるような(うすら寒い)日に取って代わられていたのでした。 Beyond the oleanders and orange trees that edged the hotel garden and bordered the swimming pool, the Ionian sea raged grey, dotted with whitecaps ,and the beach, once fringed with golden sand ,was now drab-brown, riven(→river,) where torrents of rainwater had poured down from the hills and into the sea.ホテルの庭やプールに接したセイヨウキョウチクトンやオレンジの木々の向こうで、イオニア海は荒れ狂い白波ができ、そのビーチはかつて金の砂を縁 取り、今ではくすんだ茶色で分裂しそこでは雨水の激流が丘から海へと流れ出ていた。★(", riven"は、"river,"の誤植と見ました。)⇒ホテルの庭を縁取り、プールに面した西洋キョウチクトンやオレンジの木々の向こうでイオニア海が荒れ狂って白波を立て、かつては金色の砂で綾どられていたその浜辺は、今ではくすんだ茶色の川となって、そこを雨水の激流が丘から海へと流れ下っていました。 The water ,once so clear, was muddied with stirred-up sand. Poseidon, Mr Dunn decided as he observed the scene through his binoculars, was demonstrating his power to goad the sea into a wild warning to mere humans. その水はかつてとてもきれいだったが、砂が混じり濁ってしまった。ポセイドン、ダンさんはその場面に気づいたと彼の眼を通して判断した、彼の力は海を人々に荒れた警告であらわにした。★("Poseidon"は、ギリシャ神話で「海の神」の名です。)⇒その水はかつてとてもきれいでしたが、砂が混じって濁ってしまいました。ダン氏は、双眼鏡でその場面を観察しながら、(海の神)ポセイドンが、海をせき立てて人々に対する野生の戒めに変え、彼の力を示しているのだ、と判断しました。

rui0625
質問者

お礼

thank you so much!

その他の回答 (3)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.4

> the gods indeed were angry > Mr Dunn thought as he sat on the hotel balcony, a towel wrapped ruglike round his bare, skinny shanks, for it was chilly in the storm. > 神は本当に怒っていた、ダンは彼がホテルのバルコニーに座りタオルが彼の裸の皮膚の足中を包んだと思った、うすら寒い嵐の日に  * 1行目と2行目とは、句読点も何もなく改行されていますが、ひょっとしたらつながりがあるのかもしれないという気がしました (それと、the gods の the が小文字で始まっているというのも奇異な感じを受けました)。  → 神々は本当に怒っているのではないだろうかと、ホテルのバルコニーに、むき出しの骨ばった脛に肩掛けのようにタオルを巻きつけた格好で座ったダンは、思った。嵐が来たせいで肌寒かった。 > He still wore his blue-cotton holiday shorts, thought the warm weather had been replaced by a day that would have seemed normal in an English September > 彼はまだ休日らしい青い綿の半ズボンをはいていた、けれども暖かい天気は、イギリスの普通の9月のような日に取って代わった。  * thought が訳文に取り込まれていませんね。文頭に He とあるので、he thought の he が省略された形になっています。... shorts までは付帯状況を描写しています。文末にピリオドが無いのが気になります。  → 彼はまだ盲縞のホリデー・ショーツを穿いていたのだが、暖かな天気は、9月の英国であれば珍しくないというような天気に取ってかわられてしまったな、と思った。   > Beyond the oleanders and orange trees that edged the hotel garden and bordered the swimming pool, the Ionian sea raged grey, dotted with whitecaps, and the beach, once fringed with golden sand, was now drab-brown, riven where torrents of rainwater had poured down from the hills and into the sea. > ホテルの庭やプールに接したセイヨウキョウチクトンやオレンジの木々の向こうで、イオニア海は荒れ狂い白波ができ、そのビーチはかつて金の砂を縁取り、今ではくすんだ茶色で分裂しそこでは雨水の激流が丘から海へと流れ出ていた。  * ここはほとんど文句なしのように見えます。整った訳文を作るのが目的ではなく、話の内容をつかむことが目的であれば、それで十分だと思います。  → ホテルの庭を縁取り、プールとの境目に植えられたオレアンダーやオレンジの木々の向こう側には、荒れたイオニア海が見え、ポツリポツリと白波が立っている。前は砂が金色の輝きを帯びていた海岸が、今はくすんだ茶色に見え、そこを丘から流れ下ってきた雨水が海へとそそいでひび割れになっている。 > The water, once so clear, was muddied with stirred-up sand. Poseidon, (Mr Dunn decided as he observed the scene through his binoculars,) was demonstrating his power to goad the sea into a wild warning to mere humans. > その水はかつてとてもきれいだったが、砂が混じり濁ってしまった。ポセイドン、ダンさんはその場面に気づいたと彼の眼を通して判断した、彼の力は海を人々に荒れた警告であらわにした。  ここは少し注意を用するところかもしれません。私の考えでは、この Poseidon はギリシャ神話に出てくる ポセイドン のことを意味しているのではないかと思います。海神ですね。  * decide はこの文では 「思う」 くらいの意味に取ってもいいと思います。  * binoculars という語を読み落としておられるようです。双眼鏡のことですよね。  → 以前は透明に澄んでいた海の色が、流れ込んだ砂にかき乱されて濁って見える。ダン氏は双眼鏡で海を眺めながら、ポセイドン (神) が海を荒立てることで、卑小な人間どもに荒々しい警告を与えているかのようだと思った。

rui0625
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます! とても、わかりやすいです^^

• sknuuu
  • ベストアンサー率43% (408/934)
回答No.3

the gods indeed were angry Mr Dunn thought as he sat on the hotel balcony,a towel wrapped ruglike round his bare ,skinny shanks ,for it was chilly in the storm. 「神は怒っているのだ」とダンはホテルのバルコニーに座りながら思った うすら寒い嵐の中、むきだしのすねをタオルをひざかけのようにして包みながら He still wore his blue-cotton holiday shorts, thought the warm weather had been replaced by a day that would have seemed normal in an English September まだ休日らしい青い綿の半ズボンをはいた状態で彼は思っていた: 暖かかった気候はいつしか、イギリスであれば9月頃のものに変わった Beyond the oleanders and orange trees that edged the hotel garden and bordered the swimming pool, the Ionian sea raged grey, dotted with whitecaps ,and the beach, once fringed with golden sand ,was now drab-brown, riven where torrents of rainwater had poured down from the hills and into the sea. ホテルの庭沿いやプールとの境に植えられていたセイヨウキョウチクトウやオレンジの木々の向こうで、あちらこちらに白波を立てながら灰色のイオニアの海は荒れ狂っていた。そして、先ほど(この前)まで金色の砂で縁取られていた海岸はくすんだ茶色に変わり、丘から海へと流れ出た雨水の激流によって引き裂かれていた The water ,once so clear, was muddied with stirred-up sand. Poseidon, Mr Dunn decided as he observed the scene through his binoculars, was demonstrating his power to goad the sea into a wild warning to mere humans. 透き通っていた水は攪拌された砂によって混濁した泥へと変わった。この状況を双眼鏡で観察していたダンはこう思った: 人間に警告を与えるために、ポセイドンが海をこのように荒れさせ、彼の力を誇示しているのだ

rui0625
質問者

お礼

とても、内容が把握できました! ありがとうございます^^

• nolaneco
  • ベストアンサー率62% (322/512)
回答No.1

こんにちは。 私は小説は得意ではありませんが、辞書を使って単語を調べながら訳してみました。 the gods indeed were angry Mr Dunn thought as he sat on the hotel balcony,a towel wrapped ruglike round his bare ,skinny shanks ,for it was chilly in the storm.神は本当に怒っていた、ダンは彼がホテルのバルコニーに座りタオルが彼の裸の皮膚の足中を包んだと思った、うすら寒い嵐の日に 【私の訳】 神は実に怒っていた。外は嵐で肌寒く、ダン氏はホテルのバルコニーに腰かけた時、むき出しの細い両足の周りにタオルを絨毯のように包みたいと思った。 He still wore his blue-cotton holiday shorts, thought the warm weather had been replaced by a day that would have seemed normal in an English September彼はまだ休日らしい青い綿の半ズボンをはいていた、けれども暖かい天気は、イギリスの普通の9月のような日に取って代わった。 【私の訳】 彼はまだバカンス用の青い綿の半ズボンをはいていた。暖かい天気は、九月のイギリスなら通常といえる日に取って代わられたのだと、彼は思った。 Beyond the oleanders and orange trees that edged the hotel garden and bordered the swimming pool, the Ionian sea raged grey, dotted with whitecaps ,and the beach, once fringed with golden sand ,was now drab-brown, riven where torrents of rainwater had poured down from the hills and into the sea.ホテルの庭やプールに接したセイヨウキョウチクトンやオレンジの木々の向こうで、イオニア海は荒れ狂い白波ができ、そのビーチはかつて金の砂を縁取り、今ではくすんだ茶色で分裂しそこでは雨水の激流が丘から海へと流れ出ていた。 【私の訳】 ホテルの庭を縁取ってスイミングプールに隣接するセイヨウキョウチクトウやオレンジの木々の向こうには、灰色に染まったイオニア海が多くの白波をともない荒れ狂っており、かつて金色の砂で縁取られていたビーチは、今や煤けた茶褐色となって、丘から海へと注ぎ込む雨水の激流によって分断されていた。 The water ,once so clear, was muddied with stirred-up sand. Poseidon, Mr Dunn decided as he observed the scene through his binoculars, was demonstrating his power to goad the sea into a wild warning to mere humans. その水はかつてとてもきれいだったが、砂が混じり濁ってしまった。ポセイドン、ダンさんはその場面に気づいたと彼の眼を通して判断した、彼の力は海を人々に荒れた警告であらわにした。 【私の訳】 かつてとても澄んでいた水は渦巻く砂で濁っていた。ダン氏は双眼鏡でその光景を見た時、無力な人間に自然の警告を与えるために、ポセイドンがその力を現わし海をけしかけたに違いないと思った。 できるだけ小説っぽくなるよう訳してみました。小説はやっぱり大変ですね。自分なりに頑張りましたが、まだ固い感じですよね。ホントはもっと柔らかい文体にしたかったのですが、とりあえずは意味は通じると思います。ご参考になれば幸いです。

rui0625
質問者

お礼

素敵な訳です! ありがとうございます! これからも、辞書をつかって頑張ります^^

関連するQ&A

• 英語の質問です!

Fred thought he was a very clever man, and he was particularly proud of his skill in mathematics, ュ「but as often happens with people who have perhaps too high an opinion of themselves, he was impatient, and seldom listened to what others were saying. ュ」He was particularly bad about listening to his wife, and she often complained bitterly about this. お願いします!!

• どんな内容か教えてください。お願いします!

He was used to her being silent. But this silence went on and on and on. She was just staring into the garden. After a time,she said,in her precise conversational tone, "The only thing I want,the only thing I want at all in this world,is to see that boy." She stared at the garden and he stared with her,until the grass began to dance with empty light,and the edges of the shrubbery wavered. For a brief moment he shared the strain of not seeing the boy.Then she gave a little sigh,sat down,neatly as always,and passed out at his feet. After this she became,for her,voluble. He didn't move her after she fainted,but sat patiently by her,until she stirred and sat up;then he fetched her some water,and would have gone away,but she talked.

• 英語の和訳

この英文の和訳教えてください(>_<) ↓ ↓ Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He realized his father was very old,and thought perhaps he should go to see him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make arrangements,hereceived a telegram telling him his father had passed away,and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things. When he arrived at his father's house,sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible,just as he had left it years ago. With tears,he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. And as he did, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name,the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag were the date of his graduation and the words PAID IN FULL.

• 英語長文です!!

Something happened once when my friend Jack was Living in Minnesota-- something that he didn`t consider any big deal.I called Jack`s house to speak with him, and the phone was answerd by an unfamiliar voice. The radio was playing loudly in the background, and for a moment I thought I might have dialed an incorrect number. The voice on the other end said a few labored words that I could`t understand, and then stopped. The rock music from the radio continued. I stayed on the line, concerned that something was wrong. Three or four minutes passed, and finally I heard another phone being picked up in the house. I heard Jack`s voice say, ‘Hello?‘ I said hello back, and I said I`d thought that a foreigh-born person or a person who was unable to speak clearly had answerd his phone, I asked him if anything troubling was going on. `I`ll tell you in a minute,` he said, and his voice went away and soon enough I could hear it in the room where the other phone was off the hook-- the room from which I was hearing the rock music. I heard Jack say , I`ve got it,honey.` Then.`It`s all right. Thank you for answering.` He hung up that phone,and when I heard him again he could talk without her listening. `She`s such a sweettheart,` he said, and then explained. He had been out of town on business, and when he returned the girl -- the girl who had answerd the phone with such difficulty -- had moved into his house. His wife Janice was working as a schoolteacher, and at the school where she taught there were children who had severe disabilities.This girl was one of those children. She had been born with a serious problem that had affected her both physically and mentally. It was not the kind of illness that surgery or medicine could fix.

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces. A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"  As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys. He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most. He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head,"no".

• 英語の得意な方、教えてください。

次の文の下線部が助動詞か本動詞かを答えなさい。 A traveling salesman (1)had to walk so much that his feet often hurt. His doctor told him that salt water (2)was the best thing for them, so the salesman decided to go to the sea for his vacation that year. Since all of the hotels near the sea (3)were expensive, he went to a small hotel far away from the beach. In the morning he went down to the calm sea with a bucket, went over to the lifeguard and asked whether he would (4)be allowed to take a bucket of salt water. The lifeguard (5)seemed very surprised but said, “Yes, although you will (6)have to pay twenty-five cents for it.” The salesman gave the lifeguard twenty-five cents, filled his bucket, took it to his hotel and put his feet in the water. After lunch, he came down to the beach again. The tide (7)had gone out now, so the sea (8)was much lower. The salesman thought, “That man (9)has a very good business. He must (10)have sold thousands of buckets since this morning.” (1)had 助動詞or本動詞 (2)was 助動詞or本動詞 (3)were 助動詞or本動詞 (4)be 助動詞or本動詞 (5)seemed 助動詞or本動詞 (6)have 助動詞or本動詞 (7)had 助動詞or本動詞 (8)was 助動詞or本動詞 (9)has 助動詞or本動詞 (10)have 助動詞or本動詞 以上、宜しく御願い致します。

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

His talents went into his hobbies, which were book-collecting and gardening; for his career he had accepted a routine occu pation and was quite content to be a bank manager in that town. His wife his become irritated at his lack of enterprise, and she was a little jealous and impatient of his hobbies his, which enclosed him in himself, as hobbies do, and, so she thought she got him nowhere. L.P.HARTLEY, The Go-Betrween 構文分析よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m できるだけ丁寧に教えて頂けると嬉しいです😭

• 英語 挿入について

(1)The man who I thought was his uncle proved to be a stranger 上の文を2つに分解したものが↓ 【1】The man proved to be a stranger 【2】I thought (that)he was his uncle ------------------------------------------------------- (1)が出来上がるまでの過程として、参考書に “【2】のI thoughtは一旦無視して、先ずhe was his uncleを who was his uncleとして先行詞につなげる。 そして後からI thoughtを補う。これが関係詞直後の挿入である” という主旨の記述がなされていたんですが、 何故この様な回りくどい事をするのか疑問に思います。 “【2】のheは【1】のthe man とダブるから whoに変えて先行詞となるthe manの直後に移動、 そして【2】の中で残されたものをそのままwhoの後ろに続ける” という至極単純なものが自分の考え方なのですが、 (1)の文は挿入という手段を用いない限り 完成しない文なのでしょうか?

• どのような意味でしょうか

I got involved with who I thought was a great guy. He lived in a different city but worked often in mine. We had great chemistry, great times together, and I was honestly falling in love with him until I discovered he was a lying, cheating dirtbag. He left his “family” cellphone out to charge. The screen picture was him with his wife and kids. He left his “family” cellphone out to charge.はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語高2問題

His mouth was wide open when he stared at us.を withを使って言い換えると He stared at me with his mouth was wide open. となるのですがなぜ、 usがmeになるのですか??