「~しないように」についての疑問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 「~しないように」についての疑問について質問します。
  • 具体的な例文を挙げながら、質問の内容を説明します。
  • be careful not to~やtry not to~との違いについても教えてください。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

「~しないように」がわかりません。

英文法のネットにあった例文です。(〇は正しい例文として) 〇My grandfather bought a computer not to get behind the times. 〇My grandfather bought a computer in order not to get behind the times. 〇My grandfather bought a computer so as not to get behind the times. 「時代に遅れないように僕の祖父はコンピュータを買った」(※薮下研究室) ×I studied hard not to fail in the exam. 「試験に落第しないために(しないように)、一生懸命勉強した」 〇I spoke to the shivering child kindly so as not to frighten him. 「私は、その震えている子供を怖がらせないように優しく話しかけた」 一番上のnot toが気になります。この文章は、本当にマルなのですか? be careful not to~、try not to~はばっちりわかっています。 どなたかご指導お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#195146
noname#195146
回答No.4

全部言えますよ。ちゃんと通じますし、おかしな英語ではありません。  人によって見解は違い、これはOK、あれはNGという人もいます(×のついた例文など、引っ掛け問題のつもりで使う人もいるほど)。その辺りを調べてみると、to不定詞はもともとin order to不定詞だから云々という理屈があったりするようです。  私個人は、そういうことは気にすべきない、用例が充分あり、問題なく通じているのだから、それでよい、と考えています。  そうではあるんですが、全部言えない、ということも一方であります。なんのこっちゃ、となりそうですが、実用の英語としてのことです。  文法的には間違いないけれど、英語の言い方として、否定語を使うなら、部分否定・全否定などの意味が変わらないよう気を付けつつ、できるだけ前に出すことが大事です(日本語とは逆の傾向です)。  否定を含む逆接は分かりにくくなるからですね。なので、さらに踏み込んでいうと、否定をできるだけ使わないように心掛ける。  ネイティブと話していて、ついnot to doを使ってしまったときは、「もうちょっと分かりやすく言ったほうがいいよ」とアドバイスされることが多いです。notのところでそこまでイメージした意味が引っくり返されるので、勘違いを起こさないよう考えたりして、多用されたりすると疲れるんですね。 > My grandfather bought a computer not to get behind the times. > My grandfather bought a computer in order not to get behind the times. > My grandfather bought a computer so as not to get behind the times. →My grandfather bought a computer (in order/so as) to catch up with the times. > I studied hard not to fail in the exam. →I studied hard to pass the exam. > I spoke to the shivering child kindly so as not to frighten him. →I spoke to the shivering child kindly so as to ease his mind.

joy1995
質問者

お礼

一歩踏み込んで教えてくださりありがとうございました。文法は大切にしますが、こだわりは捨てました。それよりどんな言い換えが可能かやってみます。それこそ実践的ですね。 とてもためになりました。 お願いを聞いてくださり感謝しています。

その他の回答 (3)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

#1です。補足です。 >>質問を変えますね。 ×I studied hard not to fail in the exam.「試験に落第しないために(しないように)、一生懸命勉強し た」 質問1:なぜこれはダメなのですか?     いえ、ダメだとは思いません。 〇I spoke to the shivering child kindly so as not to frighten him.「私は、その震えている子供を怖がらせないように優しく話しかけた」 質問2:これはnot toを使えますか?     はい、この文で使ってあるように、使えます。

joy1995
質問者

補足

何度も解答ありがとうございます。 (1)I spoke to the shivering child kindly not to frighten him. この文章はマルということでしょうか? (2)frhttp://eigonoobennkyou.seesaa.net/article/112915476.html このサイトに書かれていることは間違いでしょうか? その理由をぜひ教えてください。

• SPS700
回答No.2

#1です。補足です。 >>なぜそうなるのか、おしえて頂けませんか?     僕これ普通に使い、三文のうちではもっとも自然だと思っていますので、むしろ、なぜ気になるのかその理由をお聞かせください。

joy1995
質問者

補足

再び回答ありがとうございます。 質問を変えますね。 ×I studied hard not to fail in the exam. 「試験に落第しないために(しないように)、一生懸命勉強し た」 質問1:なぜこれはダメなのですか? 〇I spoke to the shivering child kindly so as not to frighten him. 「私は、その震えている子供を怖がらせないように優しく話しかけた」 質問2:これはnot toを使えますか? その理由を教えてください。

• SPS700
回答No.1

一番上のnot toが気になります。この文章は、本当にマルなのですか? はい、そうです。

joy1995
質問者

補足

回答ありがとうございます。 なぜそうなるのか、おしえて頂けませんか?

関連するQ&A

• grammerについて教えて下さい

☆can you make yourself understood in English?  は、=can you make your English understood? でも成立しますか? ☆at/in I take a walk around the pond in the morning. 私の回答は at the morningでした。何が違うんでしょう、未だによくわかりません。(a/the同様…) ☆so as not to / not to ~,so as not to be behind the time. 私の答えは~,not to be behaind the time. わざわざso as つけるのはどうしてでしょうか?  より丁寧になるのでしょうか? ☆事故の為私たちは一時間遅れました。  答え→An accident... 私の答え→The accident... 何故Anなんでしょうか?特定できるのでthe だと思ったんですが…。 ☆since/ becouse なぜわざわざsinceを使うんでしょうか?口語ではbecouseが多い気がしたんですが、 何か微妙なニュアンスがあるのでしょうか?まだsinceのこの使い方になれません。 どんな文体、シュチュエーションの時に使う特徴があるんでしょう? 以上です、宜しくお願い致します。

• 大学受験対策の自由英作文なのですが、添削よろしくお願いします。

大学受験対策の自由英作文なのですが、添削よろしくお願いします。 テーマは「あなたが大事にしているもの」についてです。 I cherish a bag which is a black and expensive one. I found it three years ago,but I had no money to buy it,so I spared money in order to get it. Two weeks after that,I finally bought it and was delighted at it. It has been so tough that it is like a new one now. I wish to have it as long as possicle. では、よろしくお願いします。

• tucked

I have a neighbor directly behind me that can only be described as a creep. He ogles me, comments every time I take a shower, and follows me to the mailbox. He’s tried everything to get me to give him a copy of my house key. Believe it or not, he even once suggested drilling a hole in the wall between our apartments, supposedly to run a TV cable. (I don’t watch cable.) What’s even worse is my apartment is isolated, tucked way in the back. tucked way in the backはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語に詳しい方、翻訳お願いします。ドイツの方からの英文のメールなのでめちゃめちゃかもしれません。

英語に詳しい方、翻訳お願いします。ドイツの方からの英文のメールなのでめちゃめちゃかもしれません。 ドイツの方にヴィトンの鞄を送ったのですが・・・ そのあとの返事でした。 宜しくお願いします。 i would like to buy from you again. But the problem is, that my last 2 bags which i have bought from you are at he custom service. I could not get them, because LV wants to control, if it a fake.. So it would be better in future times to send it to germany ONLY as a trackable letter without value, insurance and without declaration as you wrote: old bag france, because so they want control.Is it possible to send it only as a trackable EMS-letter only with the declaration bag (NO LV NO FRANCE NO VALUE) ?

• not as as toと not so as toの違い

not as...as to 、とnot so...as toの違いはありますか? 例)The wind was not as strong as to prevent us from sky-diving. The wind was not so strong as to prevent us from sky-diving. 上の例文が正解だったのですが、どうして下の例文が不正解なのかがわかりません。 教えていただけたら幸いです。

• in case か so as not to か?

I took off my shoes ( ) make any noise. という問題で選択肢に (1)so as not to と(3)in case I があります。 「音を立てないように」なら(1)で正解でしょうが、「(万一)音を立てるといけないので」と解釈すれば(3)でも正解のような気がするのですが。

• 英語教えてください!

I must remember ( ) that book tomorrow. 1.buying 2.to buy 3.having bought 4.to have bought I will get my tailor ( ) a new suit. 1.made 2.make 3.making 4.to make I kept my dog ( ) to a tree in the garden. 1.tied 2.tying 3.tie 4.to tie This car needs ( ). 1.to repair 2.repairing 3.repaired 4.having repaired You had better ( ) there. 1.not going 2.not go 3.not to go 4.going not to The place is certainly worth ( ). 1.seeing 2.seeing it 3.to be seen 4.to see You can never succeed without ( ) your best. 1.do 2.to do 3.doing 4.having done I am looking forward to ( ) you again. 1.see 2.seeing 3.saw 4.have seen この問題の解答とどうしてその答えになったのかを教えてください。。

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Unlike the quiet and quickness you experience in a car, spending an afternoon on a bike is like indulging in a sensory feast. Not only was able to leisurely take in the wonderful sights and sounds of spring - wisteria-framed doorways, lilacs in full bloom, and the laughing seagulls flying overhead - I was also to revel in the sensuous smells of honeysuckle, sea rose, and backyard barbecues!  As I pedaled through my neighborhood, I smiled to myself as I recalled how I had labored over the decision to buy a bike for more than a year. The truth is that my indecision stemmed from self-consciousness and fear of the unknown. What if I bought the wrong kind of bike and regretted my purchase? Could I still remember how to ride a bike considering there were now eighteen speeds instead of three? Did I have the physical stamina to actually get somewhere? My fear of not knowing, feeling foolish, or looking silly kept me from enjoying what had become one of my favorite summer pastimes.

• 英文の翻訳をお願いできますか?

彼からのメールのないようですが、英語力の乏しい私には意訳ができません。どなたか翻訳してもらえないでしょうか? I could not respond because of my job yoğunlğundan. At this time in my personal life and my business life, he decides to live in because of the stress I'm not sure. You get very impatient. I do not understand why. People to marry each other very well need to know. I married again to another without fully concluded'm not ready for marriage. Friendship and friendship and love in the coming time, as more development would be better for us. And together we will make better decisions about what to do. Why so quick to make a decision as I insist you do not understand. These are very serious issues. Decision can not be easy. More do not recognize each other full Incentives. And the Japanese society and Turkey have different traditions. In this regard you and me how we can comply with this tradition. I think people need to know each other a long time for marriage. We only We saw each other 2 days. I think this closeness, friendship and love each other without breaking continues in this way and get upset. Conclusions as a result of friendship beautiful. I very busy businessman, I can not take too much time for my private life. Please forgive me because I can not talk much with you.you get to me a very special person and I'm very happy to know you.I want to be with you always in the future. I like you very much.

• この英文を直してください!m(。≧Д≦。)m

I'm not good at expressing my opinion. I don't like being in front of people. So I'm embarrassed at expressing myself in public . In others when I was in talks of a school, ' Do you have any good ideas about that?' was heard, I'm a lack of creativity, therefore a rather new idea was not able to imagine. I think I must exercise my imagination. Other reasons For most situations, I'm surprisingly tightly have no definite. Also, I often get carried to another's opinion. I want to overcome so that I don't have trouble when I can not refrain from expressing my opinion. 文法や、文章的におかしい所を指摘し直してください(/_;)