• ベストアンサー

英語 分からないところがあります

the United States' harder line has adopted by the South's conservative new president, Park Geun-hye, who parried the north's latest threat on Tuesday by saying she remained determined not to succumb to what she said were efforts to escalate tensions. 北朝鮮と韓国の外交問題の英文の一部です。remained determined 以降が少し複雑になっていて、文法的に解釈することができません。 助けてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.2

She is determined not to succumb to ... と書かれていれば分かり易いでしょうか? she remained determined ... は上の is を remained に置き換えたものです。linking verb と言って、形容詞を従えます: remain calm, remain seated。determined も形容詞ライクですね。 determined は形容詞ですが、しばしば to 不定詞を従えます。We are determined not to let it happen again. succumb は succumb to + 名詞(句) という使い方をします。Try not to succum to pressure.。 what (she said) were efforts to escalate tensions は名詞句です。she said をカッコに入れると意味が取れるでしょうか? What are efforts to contain Fukushima/save the red panda? (フクシマを封じ込める/赤パンダを救うにはどんな努力があるか。) という疑問文と似ていますが what = 主語、were = 動詞、efforts to... = 補語。疑問文の形をそのまま(""に入れずに)「緊張を高める努力」という意味の名詞句として使っています。ちょっとひねった文章で読む人の気を引く作戦ですね。

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> she remained determined not to succumb to what she said were efforts to escalate tensions  she remained determined not to succumb to ... 彼女はあくまでも ・・・ に屈しない  what she said were ... は挿入。彼女が ・・・ と言うところのもの  「彼女の言い方でいえば、緊張を増幅させようとする企てに屈するつもりはないと ・・・」

関連するQ&A

• 英語の質問です!

採点、訳をお願いします。 1.Because of his diligence, James is more trusted than (4) classmate. 1.few 2.else 3.other 4.any other 2.When we were told not to see that movies, we became (1) eager to see it. 1.all the most 2.much less 3.too far 4.too much 3.He insists that his robot is (2) mine. 1.superior 2.superior to 3.superior than 4.more superior than 4.You should return the book by next Monday (2). 1.the latest 2.at the latest 3.in the latest 4.for tha latest よろしくお願いします。

• 訳が分かりませんTT

While Mr Xi mostly stuck to Beijing's official position that things were not getting harder for foreigners, he adopted a conciliatory and sympathetic approach to the concerns of international investors. "As china's open economy continues to develop, foreign investment in china will surely enjoy an even broader space and generate even higher profits,"he said on tuesday. 単語は分かるのですが、分としてつなげるときにごちゃごちゃしてわかりません。 どなたか助けてください。。

• よろしくお願いします

My mother-in-law has the means to buy almost anything she wants. She's a shopper, a borderline hoarder, yet very generous to her children. She buys expensive and unwanted gifts for all her kids -- satisfying her shopping urges by getting us doubles of her latest cooking gadget, vacuum cleaner or 10-pound box of chocolate we shouldn't be eating in the first place. doubles of her latest cooking gadgetはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語

1:It's our wedding anniversary next Tuesday,and by then we( ) married for ten years. (1)are (2)will have (3)will have been (4)would have 2:The children ( )veryquiet I wonder what theyare doing. (1)was (2)were (3)had been (4)are being 3:Jane won't be able to attend the party tonight? Why not? She say her son's caught a cold and she ( ) care of him. (1)must be taking (2)must have taken (3)will be taking (4)will have been taking 解答と訳をお願いします

• 中学英語

中学英語の書き換えがわかりません・・・ 教えてください! あと、和訳も教えてください。 (数字)は書き換えの英数です。 1.Two birds are kept by Mr.Tsuchiya.(5) 2.Let`s sing the song for them.(6) 3.Our honse has five rooms.(7) 4.She didn`t know what to do next.(8) おねがいします><;;

• 意味を教えてください

My husband's 45-year-old sister-in-law recently got a boob job. She's a professional woman who used to be very conservative. Now she comes to family dinners wearing clingy low-cut shirts that leave little to the imagination. (Once she almost fell into the paella.) fell into the paellaの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 分詞構文の模範解答を教えて下さい。

(1)Because I didn’t know what to say,I remained silent. ( )( )what to say,I remained silent. (2)Though she is only a child,she can play the piano well. ( )only a child,she can play the piano well. (3)When he was seen by a policeman,he ran way. ( )( )the policeman,he ran way. (4)一人残されて、その少女は泣き出しました。 ( )( )alone ,the girl began to cry. (5)一生懸命勉強すれば、あなたは試験に合格できるでしょう。 ( )( ),you will pass the exam.

• stopped to the tell の the

FMLの投稿から、ですが、 Today, I was woken up by my drunk girlfriend calling me and saying how much she loves me. She then stopped to the tell guy she was in bed with to be quiet because I might hear him. FML ”今日、酔ったガールフレンドに起こされた、彼女はどんなに僕を好きか電話してきたんだ。それから彼女はしゃべるのを止めた、一緒のベットにいる奴に僕に聞こえちゃうから静かにしてって言うために” (←ざっと訳してみましたが。。。合っていますでしょうか?) stop to tell の間に the が入っているのがなぜなのか解りません。 どうぞよろしくお願いします

• 至急です!!英語の不定詞の問題です!

よろしくお願いします゜(゜´Д`゜)゜ (1)あなたは疲れているようだ。 You seem _______ tired. (2)彼女は夏休みを海の近くで過ごしたようだった。 She ____________ the summer vacation near the sea. (3)彼らはテレビでサッカーの試合を見ているようだ。 They ____________ a soccer game on TV. (4)彼女は幸せなようだ。 She______________. (5)弟は夏休みを楽しんだようだ。 My brother_______________. (6)ケンのおばあさんは若いころ、女優だったようだ。 Ken`s grandmother seems to _________ an actress when she was young. (7)その写真は観光客に偶然撮影されたものだった。 The picture happend to _______by a tourist. (8)トムは自分の部屋で勉強しているようだ。 Tom appears to __________in his room.

• なぜbeなのか?

質問します。 After four years of failure to restore the Union by war. . . justice, humanity, liberty, and the public welfare demand that immediate efforts be made to end the fighting. この中で immediate efforts be made to end the fighting とありますが、なぜ be なのでしょうか? are ではないのでしょうか? thatが関係代名詞で、受身の形のS+Vの構文だと思うのですが・・・ その部分だけの意味は、戦いを終わらせるために早急な努力が作られます。だと思います。 私が文法を知らないだけかもしれませんが・・・ よろしくお願いします。