Meaning of 'thank you' in English translation

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In the essay 'Brooklyn the Unknowable', the author takes a walk in a corner of Brooklyn where there are many funeral homes and observes a warehouse of a certain coffin maker. They see stacks of polished caskets in various colors and express their preference for a plain pine box.
  • The author explores a neighborhood in Brooklyn known for its concentration of funeral homes and comes across a warehouse of a coffin maker. Inside the warehouse, they observe stacks of caskets in different colors and express their preference for a simple pine box.
  • In 'Brooklyn the Unknowable', the author describes walking through a neighborhood in Brooklyn with many funeral homes. They peek into a coffin maker's warehouse and see caskets in various colors. They express a preference for a plain pine box.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文和訳の質問 thank you の意味

出典 The best American essays(2010年版、p124) 「Brooklyn the Unknowable」 というエッセイで、作者が、ブルックリンのとある一角の、やたら葬儀関係業者が密集している地域を散歩し、とある柩業者の倉庫を観察している場面です。 ...so I headed around the corner, knowing that sometimes more can be leaened from the back of a building than the front . I peered into its windows, seeing stacks of caskets polished and shiny like new sedans , champagne-colored , taupe , all the season's popular colors. I would not like to be burried in such a metalick-looking sheath. A plain pine box, thank you. (以下は、直接、この文に関係ないので省略します。) 最後のthank you の 意味ですが、 (1)白木の松の箱なら、いいけど。 (2)白木の松の箱、ごめんだね。 それとも・・・ よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.5

>そもそも、自分の入る棺桶を考えること自体、あまり楽しいものではなく、 >真面目に考える姿は滑稽でもあります。 >そんな自分の姿を意識しながら、棺桶を次々見ている、 >これは、メタリックでいやだ。次は松の白木、もう結構。 >このような解釈は無理でしょうか。 いいえ。正鵠を得ていらっしゃると思います。 恐らく作者の心象風景はそのようなものでしょう。 ただこのアメリカン・エッセー集というのは、 古くから珠玉のユーモア集として受容されてきた歴史を有しています。 本来自分自身には直接関係の無い棺桶の仕様に対して、 細密に拘るということ自体が既に滑稽でありましょう。 作者はそれを客観的視点から、多少ボケた台詞で表現することに 苦心惨憺しているように見受けられます。 彼の地では大抵土葬のようですから、部屋の改修工事を発注する感覚に準えた ユーモアの構築が作者の意図でしょう。 粛々と的確な仕事を成し遂げた自己満足と陶酔を表現出来るthank youを 浅学菲才故に翻訳すること能わずですが、 その辺りは読み手の感性による自由な解釈の余地があると斟酌しています。 ですので当然chanp2さんの鑑定も許容範囲内であることは論を俟ちません。 楽しい出題の程感謝致しております。

chanp2
質問者

お礼

再質問はマナー的にどうかと不安でしたが、すぐにご回答いただきありがとうございます。英英辞典を引いたら、thank you にaccept の意味があると出ており、いろいろ総合的に考えると、回答者の皆様の通りに、納得しつつありますが、いろいろな余地があるという点は、大変勇気づけられました。Thank you very much.

その他の回答 (4)

• sporespore
  • ベストアンサー率30% (430/1408)
回答No.4

この前の文章でI would not like to be burried in such a metalick-looking sheath. このようなタイプの棺桶は嫌だと言っているので、そのあとの文は、では「私が好むのは・・・」ということになります。 で、A plain pine boxをお願いします。ということですので(1)の意味になります。 もし、この後の文がさらに好まない例を足したとすれば、 A plain pine box, no thank you.となっているはずです。 あるいは、ちょっと皮肉ってA plain pine box, thanks a lot.ですと、(2)の意味になるでしょう。

chanp2
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。次第に納得しつつあります。現在は自分の骨壷を用意したり、死への準備を、忌避する風潮はうすれつつあることを考えると、なおさらそうですね。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

で、結構。

chanp2
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.2

このthank you は pleaseみたいな意味合いですね。 たとえば A plain pine box, please.と言えなくもありません。あるいは Please, a plain pine box, thank you. みたいな。 白木の松の箱でお願いしたいね。私は。ーーという意味だになります。 自分ならこんなのをリクエストする、お願いする、求めるーーその気持ちをthank you と言っているのだと思いました。 such a metalic-looking sheathはごめんだよ。白木の松の箱といきたいね。私は。 以上、ご参考になればと思います。

chanp2
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。いろいろ考えると、次第に納得ができつつあります。金ピカの棺と簡素な白木の棺の対比を考えると、これが自然な解釈ですね。

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1

そう願いたいもんだね。 そうでなきゃ困るよ。 というぶっきらぼうなthank youです。

chanp2
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。実は、私はひそかにno thank you の意味ではないかと思っておりました。その理由を申し上げます。 そもそも、自分の入る棺桶を考えること自体、あまり楽しいものではなく、真面目に考える姿は滑稽でもあります。そんな自分の姿を意識しながら、棺桶を次々見ている、これは、メタリックでいやだ。次は松の白木、もう結構。このような解釈は無理でしょうか。 何度も質問して申し訳ありません。いずれにせよ、回答者1~4の皆様ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• Thank you letterの添削お願いします。

Mary, Thank you so much for everything. Thanks to you, I like English better. When we worked on the recitation contest, your lessons encouraged me a lot and we won the 1st prize. We ●●junior high students like you a lot. So, please be proud of spending here at this junior high with us, and try your best over there in canada. we appreciate you Mary. Thank you. 中学生に言わせる内容ですが、このような文章でだいじょうぶでしょうか。教えていただけると幸いです。(暗記させます。)

• この英文を和訳してほしいです。

Therefore, Thomson proposed that an atom could be thought of as a uniform, positive sphere of matter in which electrons are embedded like raisins in a cake. この英文を和訳してほしいです。

• 英文の意味を教えてください

Not really im thinking like in a house like connected to others i can find picture of what i mean

• おおまかな和訳をお願いいたします。

thank you i have a store in west edmonton mall i try to find items that i can sell i will place a large order from you on the knifes you have for sale ..i will talk to the wife what knives will sell and let you know by monday i like honest sellers like your self thank you hope to do lot more biz with you soon ..thank you for refund i trust you to my store is large and do lots of biz with great sellers like your self thank you again

• この英文の意味を訳してください

I also look after everything local I either Scouts a direct and delegate the games they got to, to be nice to feel one of the lads make it because when I was fourteen there was nothing like this. この意味を教えてください

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。日本に発送できますか?購入できますか?と質問したら返事がきました。すみませんが意味を教えてくれませんか?お願いします。 Thank you for the below and apologies for the late answer I’ve been out of office. We have a Japanese representatives based in Tokyo – would you like me to send you their contact details?

• 英文の和訳をお願いいたします

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 2つの段落になっています。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Remember also that astrology may not show certain things or I may not be able to interpret them so very clearly, so occasionally something may not show, or there will be just a vague outline there, as though the pieces of fate have not quite formed their picture and there are gaps in the fog. We stand at the gate of eternity and try and get answers. I promise always to do my utmost to interpret the message of the stars and to guide you to happiness if I can... Your soul mate’s chart should fit together with yours like a lock and key, or like four pieces of a jigsaw. When you meet you unlock this special fate and karma of love, and everything you have gone through will have meaning.. I shall look forward to hearing from you again. I am always here to guide you, when ever your inner soul directs you to write to me, I wish you peace love and happiness.

• この英文の和訳をお願いします。

To avoid this difficulty, we consider the scale height to be (i+αr_G) rather than i, where α is a numerical factor; α must have a value of the order of 10 to be consistent with Eq. (35). For the requirements that in the limit of i=0, <P(e,i)>_2B has to naturally tend to <P(e,0)>_2B given by Eq. (28), we put the modified collisional rate in the two-body approximation to be <P(e,i)>_2B=Cπr_p^2{1+6/(r_p(e^2+i^2))}(e^2+i^2)^(1/2)/(2(i+ατ_G))            (36) with C=((2/π)^2){E(k)(1-x)+2αE(√(3/4))x},                (37) where x is a variable which reduces to zero for i>>αr_G and to unity for i<<αr_G. The above equation reduces to Eq. (29) when i>>αr_G while it tends to the expression of the two-dimensional case (28) for i<<αr_G. Taking α to be 10 and x to be exp(-i/(αr_G)), <P(e,i)> scaled by Eq. (36) is shown in Fig. 17. Indeed, the modified <P(e,i)>_2B approximates <P(e,i)> within a factor of 5 in whole regions of the e-I plane, especially it is exact in the high energy limit (v→∞). However, two peaks remain at e≒1 and i≒3, which are closely related to the peculiar features of the three-body problem and hence cannot be reproduced by Eq. (36). Fig. 16a and b. Behaviors of r_min(i,b): a i=0, b i=2, 2.5, and 3.0. The level of the planetary radius (r_p=0.005) is denoted by a dashed line. Fig. 17. Contours of <P(e,i)> normalized by the modified <P(e,i)>_2B given by Eq. (36). Fig. 16a and b.↓ http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=4940423993.jpg Fig. 17.↓ http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=5825412982.jpg よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳 急いでます

1,How would you like your steak?………Medium,please. 2,I'd like the green salad and the onion soup. 3,Would you care for something to drink? 4,Can I take your order? 5,We are out of hot dogs now 6,I'll take a hamburger. 7, Is that for here or to go? 8,Anything to drink? 9,May I have the cheak,please? 10,I'd like to buy a scarf for my mother. お願いします すべて英文和訳お願いします

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。発送と注文の事で相手に質問をしていました。すみませんが返事が来たのですが意味を教えて下さい。宜しくお願い致します。 Thanks for your email. For the attachments, yes that is not a problem in terms of BBB of photographs. I can get the price to you shortly, for the items, it should take about 10 days to produce the AAA and another 5-7 days to ship. Can you confirm how many you would like, thank you we will work on the estimate for this now. Thank you.