• ベストアンサー

uponについて

Under lifetime employment companies recruit workers immediately upon graduation from a school or university. 『終身雇用制度の下で会社は各種学校あるいは大学を卒業したばかりの労働者を採用する。』 この文章の中で upon はなぜ必要なんでしょうか? upon はどういう意味なんでしょうか? 教えてください よろしくお願いします

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.4

1)受験の公式の1つに、on ~ing =「~するとすぐに」があります。  On seeing me, he hurried away.(私を見るとすぐに、彼は急いで去っていった)  = As soon as he saw me, he hurried away. 2)この on は、 upon に変えられます。(on = upon)  Upon seeing me, he hurried away. 3)on (upon) の後ろに、動名詞ではなく、名詞が来ることもあります。  On return from the U.S., he started a language school.(アメリカから帰ってくるとすぐに彼は語学学校を始めた; return は名詞です。)  たぶん、これに慣れていないのではないでしょうか。 4)よって、upon graduation from a school or university は、各種学校ないし大学を卒業するとすぐに、の意味になります。 5)前にある immediately は、なくてもいいのですが、on ~ing は「~したとき」という意味にもなり得ますので、「~するとすぐに」という意味を明確にするために添えてあるのです。 6)模範解答では、「終身雇用制度の下で会社は各種学校あるいは大学を卒業したばかりの労働者を採用する。」と、「大学を卒業したばかりの」を workers に掛けて、形容詞として扱っていますが、うるさく言うと、やはり副詞で、recruit に掛かります。(訳としては、これでいいですが。)  ですから、直訳すると、「終身雇用制度の下で、会社は、職員を、(彼らが)各種学校あるいは大学を卒業するとすぐに、採用する。」となります。

sayaka122
質問者

お礼

大変わかりやすく説明してくださってありがとうございましたm(__)m

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

そんなに、悩まずとも、辞書で、uponを引いて、onの古い言い方だとわかり、今度は英辞郎で、on graduationを引けば、ほれこの通り、、、!!! http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=on+graduation&ref=sa

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.2

uponはonを、ちょっと形式ばって言いたいだけで、onと同じ意味です。  workers immediately upon graduationは、workers on graduation「卒業した就職希望者」が基本です。  onはworkersが、「卒業」ということの上に乗っていること、さらには「卒業」という前提があること、つまり卒業していることを表そうとしています。  それが、immediately「つい先ほど~したばかり」であるというわけですね。immediately uponは、just afterと言い換えることもできます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • foosun
  • ベストアンサー率12% (13/104)
回答No.1

IMMEDIATELY UPON GRADUATIONで「卒業してすぐに」。 GRADUATIONは名詞だから、IMMEDIATELY GRADUATIONだと「卒業すぐに」になっちゃう。 「卒業“して”すぐに」とするには、UPONという前置詞が必要。 伝わったかな?

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文と日本語訳があります。和訳は適切でしょうか?

For a couple of generations after World War II, one of the images that Japan presented to the world was of a nation where everyone was a member of the middle class. Another common image was that most companies offered lifetime employment. Although these two images were not so realistic, there was some relative truth. Compared to most countries, the gap between rich and poor in Japan was actually quite small, and many companies and the government did offer jobs for life. 和訳 第二次世界大戦後の数世代にとって、日本が世界に示したイメージのひとつは、総中流化の国というものでした。もう一つの一般的イメージはほとんどの会社が終身雇用というものです。こうした二つのイメージはとても現実的とは言えませんでしたが、いくつか相対的真理もありました。多くの国と比較すると日本におけるお金持ちと貧しい人との差は実のところとても小さく、多くの会社や政府では終身雇用の仕事を提供したのです。

• 英文と日本語訳があります。和訳は正しいでしょうか?

In 2007, the oldest baby boomers turned 60 years old. Many more will reach ratirement age in the next few years. This mass retirement will have many economic and social consequences.Several economic effects may soon be felt. As baby boomers retire, some companies are actually already grumbling about a labor shortage. This lack of workers is good news for students graduating from school or university. It means that they have more jobs to choose from. It is not so good news for companies, however, who need skilled employees in order to grow their business. 和訳 2007年、最年長のベビーブーマーが60歳になりました。続く2,3年の間にさらに多くのベーブーマーが退職年齢に達します。この大量退職が多くの経済的社会的影響をおよぼすのです。いくつかの経済効果は、すぐに感じられる かもしれません。 ベビーブーム世代が引退して、一部の会社は実は労働者不足について すでに不平を言っています。 労働者のこの不足は、学校または大学を卒業している学生にとって よい知らせです。 それは、彼らには選べる多くの仕事があることを意味します。 それでいいのですが、彼らの仕事を拡大するために熟練した従業員を必要とする 会社にとってよい知らせでありません。

• この英文はあってますか?

・They can select their course from some one, if students graduate from this school. ・First, it is employment. In my school student of half is finding work. ・Feature of my school college is rate of employment. It is proud of about 100%. ・Second, it is going to Advanced Course for Engineering. ・If it graduates from Advanced Course for Engineering, the students take the same 'university graduate' as college graduate. ・Third, it is admission to a college. ・When my school students admit to a college from my school, they is taken for entrance examination for transfer students. ・But, An entrance examination for transfer students has few subjects than an entrance examination. ・In Gifu technical college, 30 percent or more of students admit to a college all over the country every year. ・そしてこの学校を卒業すると、いくつかの進路が選び取れます。 ・一つ目は就職です。岐阜高専では半数の生徒が就職していきます。 ・私の学校の特徴は就職率で約100%の就職率を誇っています。 ・二つ目は専攻科に進学することです。 ・専攻科を卒業すると大学卒業生と同じ'学士'を取得できます。 ・三つ目は大学への編入です。 ・私の学校から大学に編入する場合に編入試験を受けます。 ・しかしこの編入試験は入試試験より科目数が少ないことが利点です。 ・私の学校でも毎年三割以上の生徒が全国の大学へ編入しています。 以上ですが気づいた点や文法の間違いなどを教えてください。

• (話すこと , 書くことについての専門家の皆様)自分の作った意見を英語で表現できるようにするには、

(話すこと , 書くことについての専門家の皆様)自分の作った意見を英語で表現できるようにするには、何を読み、どう学習を進めていったらいいのでしょうか? 学習の方向性がはっきりと見えずに今は途方にくれています。 植田一三先生の英語で意見を論理的に述べる技術とトレーニングという本で勉強しています。ですが、自分のレベルが低くて、ここまでは言えなくて、その場で止まっているように思ってしまいます。 また、洋書で pros and cons Abebeter's handbookという評判のよいものを購入しようとも考えましたが、レベルがわたしには高く感じました。 目標は一級の2次試験で答えられるようにするためなのですが。 自分で作った日本語を英語に変えて、それが果たして単語の使い分けとか、文法とか正しいのか、学習の方向性はあっているのかいろいろと心配が募ります。 英語の”話す”、”書く”ことについて専門家の方、学習の方向性はやはり間違っているのでしょうか? 例えば、why do you think it is becoming more common for people to change their jobs ? という問題があって、解答ではこう書かれています。 The reason are two fold. One is the growing shit from the lifetime employment and seniority system to the perfromance -based pay system under the prolonged resession in Japan. Uner the merit system workers have no qualms about changing their jobs for better working condtions. The other is declining loyalty to companies especially among today's young workers who put their perosnal life before their work under the influence of Western liberalism and individualism. Unlike the dedicated and conformist earlier generation , those self -seeking individuals don't hesitate to quit their jobs for freewheeling lifestyles. 理由は2つ。一つは"終身雇用・年功序列制度から能力制度への移行"。 実力主義社会では労働者はためらうことなくよい条件の仕事へ移る。 もう一つは"会社への忠誠心が希薄になったこと"。西洋型の自由主義、個人主義の影響で、特に若い労働者は自分の生活至上主義になった。 わたしが考えたこと、やっていることは自分の思った、考えたことを日本語で書いて、それを英語にしていくというものです。 はじめに考えたことは、 若者は将来の心配よりも今楽しければいいと思うようになり、仕事が嫌だ、つらいと思うと、すぐに転職するようになってしまったから。 例えば、上にある日本語を Japanese young people have become enjoyment for their future ,not thier worry. and when they working is painfun and don't want to work, they have changed therir job soon. とか、 昔は貧しくて、お金を稼ぐのを優先的に考えていたが、今はお金があるから、豊かになったので、仕事に対する意識が変わってきた。 などと考えていました。 In those days, Japanese people thought they had to work to put aside money , but now they are rich and,their lifestyles have been rich and chnaged their attitude towards their wrok など。 学習の方向性は正しいのでしょうか?日本語でまず考え、それを英語にする学習がいいのかまったくわかりません。日本語にするのに時間も多くかかったりします。かといって、ぜひ専門家の方からの助言よろしくお願いします。

• 【大至急】英文メールご添削のお願い

下記の英文を取引先(派遣先企業)に送りたいのですが、自信がありません。 ご添削を宜しくお願い致しますm(__)m スタッフ吉田の次回契約を6ヶ月にして頂けるとのこと、ありがとうございます。 吉田は12月末で派遣就業開始から3年となり、本来であれば御社での就業は終了となるのですが、弊社の無期雇用制度で期間の定めなく就業できるようになりました。吉田の意向もあり彼女は12月以降も御社で就業させて頂きます。ただ、無期雇用制度に移行するにあたり、一旦契約は12月迄の3ヶ月とさせて頂いても宜しいですか? 1月以降については改めて1月~3月迄の期間の契約書をあなたに送ります。 Thank you for being able to make Yoshida's next contract six months. Yoshida will be three years from the start of dispatch work at the end of December, and if originally the employment at your company will be terminated, but our company 's indefinite employment system has made it possible to work without specifying the term. Because of Yoshida's intention, she will work at your company even after December. However, upon transitioning to an indefinite employment system, is it okay to let me assume that the contract is three months until December? For January and later we will send you a contract for a period from January to March again.

• upon の使い方

uponは前置詞だそうですが元々意味がよくわかりません。 upon further inspection のuponはどう捉えればいいのでしょうか。 あとuponの意味、使い方等も分かれば教えて頂けますか?

• 和訳をお願いします!

Most workers explain their tardiness or absence with pro-saic tales of dead batteries, missed trains or common colds. But from a creative minority come explanations such as 'someone stole one of my shoes on the bus.' One hundred executives at the United States' 1000 largest companies were asked in a survey to describe some of the more unusual alibis they have heard. 'We're not talking about standard reasons,' said Robert Half, whose employment company commissioned the survey. Some examples : ' Suddenly, the doors of the armored car in front of me opened up, and $10 bills started flying out,' causing a traffic jam. 宜しくお願いします!

• 1.定年制度が崩壊した日本では労働者はIT(ブログ

1.定年制度が崩壊した日本では労働者はIT(ブログ・ユーチューブ、マガジン、note)などのツールを使って能力アップしてその自分を自己プロデュースして売り込んで生き残りを図るしかないのだろうか? 2.ITスキルやツールの能力を向上させても収入を得られないかもしれないが、それでも1ドルが120円から360円になるのを待つように、いつかは稼げると信じて継続していた方が良いのだろうか? 3.終身雇用終了の令和時代を我々はどのように生きれば良いのだろうか? 社会カテゴリー皆さんの ご回答のほど、 お待ちしております。 1. In Japan, where the retirement age system has collapsed, workers have no choice but to improve their skills using tools such as IT (blogs, YouTube, magazines, notes) and self-produce themselves and sell them to survive. 2. I could not get income even if I improve the ability of IT skills and tools, but still continued to believe that I could earn someday as I waited for the dollar to go from 120 yen to 360 yen Is it better? 3. How should we live in the era of retiring employment? Social Category Yours As you answer, We'll be expecting you.

• 【至急和訳お願いします!】

和訳お願いします!!! The day after the Nobel Prize was awards to Gore and theIPCC. I visited Hiroo Gakuen in Tokyo, a combined junior- and senior-high school, for the school's autumn festival --- this year themed "Earth's Happiness is Our Happiness." A friend whose daughter graduated from the school thought I might like to see what young people these days are thinking about enviromental issues. I was immediately struck by how Japan has changed. Tokyo, junior- and senior-high school students are studying dioxins, the ozone layer and "corporate social responsibility." When I first began teaching enviromental issues in Japan[in 1990], first-year university students would identify old men on bicycles and bad breath as pressing enviromental concerns.

• エッセーの添削おねがいします。

文法だけでなくここはこう言ったほうがいいんじゃない?みたいなのもありました、どうぞ教えてください。 Education System of Two Countries It is the common objective of educational system in any countries to foster its citizens to become productive members of its society. Every country has its own education system. Two countries United States and Japan have also their own education systems. After World War II, the Japanese education system was built based on American's education system, so the education system in the United States and Japan have a lot in common fundamentally. American and Japanese educational principle is similar; however, the entrance processes are quite different. At first glance, pursuing university education of American and Japanese universities appears to be straightforward. The basic system seems to be identical. Both countries have two-year university, four-year university and technical school. Students enter college after they have graduated from high school, or simply demonstrate their ability to get higher education. Students can take any classes that they wish to take and they are free to devote most of their time to education. Both countries put from 6 years to 15 years old children under an obligation to be taken education. Even though American and Japanese university basic system seems to be identical, the entrance processes are vary significantly. In America, compared with Japanese university, it is easy to enter university. Students do not have to take the admission examination for entrance, but all students need is just submit the required documents like high school transcript. So students need to get good grade in high school. When students enter university, they are not required the good academic skills. However, it is difficult to get units and graduate from university, because they have to show their good skills in the class, so not a few students who can’t get the units and it take much time to graduate. In short, students who want to enter American university need to study hard after entering university. On the other hand, at Japanese university, it is difficult to enter university. Students have to take admission examination instead of submitting the required documents to enter. For Japanese universities, it differs from American universities in that you need to take an entrance exam for the specific university. If you pass the exam then your high school grades don’t matter at all. In short, contrary to American university, students who wish to enter Japanese university need to study hard before entering university. To conclude, while basically, American and Japanese education system are similar, the entrance processes to enter university are poles apart.

終夜運転は今年も行われる?
このQ&Aのポイント
  • 去年は新型コロナウイルスの影響で大晦日の電車の終夜運転が中止されましたが、今年は状況は少し違うようです。
  • 現在のところ、感染者数は比較的少なく、終夜運転が行われる可能性もあります。
  • しかし、状況によっては再び終夜運転が中止される可能性もあるため、最新の情報を確認することをおすすめします。
回答を見る