• ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします。長くて御免なさい

The munber of old Mr and Mrs Grey by a young burglar was a rather unpleasant case. Althongh blood matching that of the old woman had been found on the burglar's clothing, the jury could not decide on the first day of discussion and spent a night in a hotel before finding the defendant guilty the next day. Judge Thomas felt they had made the right decision and was happy to close the case. Then a letter arrived on his desk from one of the jurors. "Dear Judge Thomas,I thought you should know how we made our decision. When we were all having dinner at the hotel one of the jurors suggested we try to find out what happended by using a crystal ball to contact the murder victims. I did't like the idea but most people thought it would be a good joke. Anyway,we all sat around the table looking into the ball and calling for Mr and Mrs Grey. Suddenly it went very dark and an old man's voice whispered 'It was that young burglar who killed us. You've got to find him guilty tomorrow!' When some of the jurors head this they were very frightened,especially the woman. It was longer a joke. I really don't know wheather I believe what I heard. Anyway we all agreed on a verdict of guilty the next day." This letter worried Judge Thomas. In general juries are free to decide their verdint in secret,and even the judge has no right to question them. However this event took place at the hotel at night when they were supposed to be resting,not discussing the case. It seemed to have influenced many of the jurors and it could mean their decision was unreliable. Should he interfere?

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

グレー老夫妻が、若い窃盗犯によって殺害された事件は、どちらかといえば不愉快な事件だった。老婦人の血液と同じものが窃盗犯の衣類に発見されたが、最初の日には陪審員は結論に達することが出来ず、翌日容疑者が有罪だとの結論に至るまでホテルに一晩泊まった。トーマス裁判長は、陪審員の決定は妥当だと思い、事件を閉じた。陪審員の一人から彼の机に一通の手紙が届いたのはその後である。     「トーマス裁判長様、あなたは私たちがどのようにして結論に至ったかお知りになりたいだろうと思います。ホテルでみんなが夕食を取っている時、陪審員の一人が殺害された被害者と連絡を取るためクリスタルボールを使って何が起こったかを再現してみようと切り出しました。     私はこれがいい考えとは思いませんでしたが、殆どの人はいいジョークだと思いました。     いずれにせよ、みんなテ-ブルを囲んでボールを覗き込み、グレー夫妻に呼びかけました。     急に辺りが暗くなり、老人の声が『私たちを殺したのはあの若い泥棒だ、明日あなた方は有罪にしなくてはならない」とささやきました。これを聞いた陪審員の一部には、怖がるものが出、特に女性の一人は恐ろしがりました。    もうこれはジョークではありませんでした。この声を信じていいのかどうか私は分かりませんでした。    とにかく、翌日、私たちは有罪の判決に同意したのです。」    この手紙はトーマス裁判長を心配させた。普通陪審員は秘密裏に判決の議論をする自由があり、裁判長と言えどもこれに疑義をさし挟む権利は無い。しかし、ホテルで睡眠を取っているはずの夜間に、事件の議論をしないで、この出来事は起こっている。     これ(この出来事)は、陪審員の多くに影響を与えたように見え、彼らの結論は信頼出来ない可能性がある。彼は異論を挟むべきか。    (クリスタルボールは、占い師などが運勢判断に使うガラス球のことです)

関連するQ&A

• [至急]和訳と文法的に大事なところを教えてください

I was shocked. So were people all over the world, of all nationalities and political beliefs. When the two were found guilty, there were demonstrations all over the United States, and even in Europe. I heard people say that the decision to execute them was based on prejudice against them as immigrants and because of their political views. People demonstrated and protested the decision, demanding further investigation and more time in court. But nothing changed and on August 23, 1927 my friend was sent to the electric chair.

• 和訳を願いたいです。

Delia and I were zoology students who had come to Africa to start a wildlife research project. After months of searching for the right place, we found the Central Kalahari Game Reserve in Botswana. We decided it was an ideal place, so in 1974 we set up our base camp in the reserve. Much of the Central Kalahari was still unexplored because of the heat and lack of water. There were no villages near our base camp. We had to bring our water across the plains from a small town over 150 kilometers away. In an area larger than Ireland, our tiny research team of two and a few groups of native Africans were the only humans. The Kalahari was a difficult place for us to live. And it was difficult for the wild animals, too. They sometimes lived together peacefully, but often fought fiercely to survive. After having observed their way of living, we came to understand what the laws of nature really are. On the Kalahari we were just uninvited guests. It was important for us to leave the plains and the wild animals and plants as they were. (1)Where did Mark and Delia set up their base camp? (2)Why weren’t there many people living in the Central Kalahari? (3)What did they come to understand by watching the animals’ way of life? 打ち間違いをしていたらすいません。 上記の英文を和訳して、(1)(2)(3)の問題には英語で答えてもらいたいです。 お願いします。 ・・・ついでに私の以前の名前はnogarinでした。 saysheさんなら気付いてくださると思います。

• 和訳をお願いします。

The Afghanistan decision was a big deal; if it went wrong, we were cooked on national security. It didn't. Mr. Obama's decision to support Gen. Stanley McCrystal's counterinsurgency plan in Afghanistan was a procedural mess but arrived at the right result. この文章の中の次の部分の意味が分かりません。 「we were cooked on national security」 どなたか教えて頂けませんか。

• 和訳してくださいm(_ _)m4

Another group involved in mammoth research was an international team headed by Dr. Goto Kazufumi. There were 33 scientists on this team. They were Japanese, Russian, and British. In August 1997, they went on their first expedition to look for a mammoth. At that time, they were only able to find mammoth bones. They said, "If there were also piece of skin, we could get some mammoth DNA." In August 1999, Dr. Goto tried again to find a mammoth with a second team made up of 26 Japanese and Russian scientists. This time they found a piece of mammoth skin, but it was not in good enough condition to use the DNA. The Japanese project is now led by Dr. Iritani Akira, and they keep trying to find mammoths. In 2002, they found another frozen mammoth in Siberia. A piece of flesh taken from it was brought to Japan in July 2003. its DNA was also not well preserved, but the team didn't give up the project.

• 和訳をお願いします。

翻訳機はなしで^^; Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2155, she wrote, 'Today Tommy found a real book." It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it when he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages, which were yellow. It was very funny to read the words. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time. "Oh," said Tommy. "What a waste! When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it, and it's good for many more. I wouldn't throw it away." "Same with mine," said Margie. She was 11 and hadn't seen as many telebooks as Tommy had. He was 13. She said, 'Where did you find it?' "In my house." He pointed without looking, because he was busy reading. "In the attic." "What's it about?" "School."

• 和訳お願いします

Well I showed Sammy all round the laboratory,the glass house,the machine shop,and finally took him to the shed where the electric locomotive was. He wondered at the little engine that could haul those three trailers full of people and asked whether the machine was 'in operative condition.' 'Certainly,my dear sir,' I answered,and asked whether he would like a ride.'I should appreciate it,'said he. The engine driver at the machine shop started the engine for us. We just took the locomotive without the trailers, I beging on the operating side of the machine and Insull on the other side near one of the brake handles.I swiched on the juice and soon we were going at the rate of thirty miles an hour. Insull seemed to enjoy it. When we reached the end of the line we stepped off for a few moments and looked at the remains of the old copper mine.

• 英語 和訳

The feeling on their part must have been like that of a teacher receiving his old students,for it was their Commodore Perry who had effected the opening of our country seven years before,and now here we were on our first visit to America. この英文をどなたか訳してください。 宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします

'Then he showed me the lamps burning in the shop.He said they were obliged to keep them burning eight months before they could do anything. 'We then went into the glss-blowing department,a separate building,out back. Two men were at work there.Edison had enlarged the bulb of his lamp about 33 per cent and they were at work blowing them,and parts of these vacuum pumps. Edison is working a vacumm pump of glass entirely .They were putting some of the carbon horseshoe into the lamps.There was only one man at work putting the carbon in(Batchelor). 'From there I went into a photo-lithographic concern that Edison has just got up,and they were at work pictures.There was one picture of Edison surrounded bu about thirty-five of his workmen taken by this process;and they had a man at work with chemicals,etc.Every now and then my conductor would point out a lamp with remark,''How nice that is burning!''ect.Then he would turn a little screw to turn the light off or on.He couldn't regurate it intermediately.It was eighter all off or all on.I asked him if they could regurate to any intermediate point and he said they couldn't.''These horseshoe burn very well,''he said. '''Some of them burn on an average about 800 hours continuously.''My conductor then took me where the dynamo machines were working and showed me the engine which he said was 80HP-150,I should think,judging from the size of it.He said they had a hundred lamps burning,but I am positive there weren't over 50,even if as many as that,everywhere,in the shop and out of it;and to run them he had 3 dynamo machines worked by this engine,those big upright machines of Edison's,that my conductor said had a capacity of 50 lightseach

• 和訳してもらいたいです

The sun was just coming up. I was in my sleeping bag, still half-asleep. Suddenly I heard an animal approaching. I slowly raised my head and looked over my feet. A female lion was coming toward me. I wanted to wake my wife Delia but I was afraid to move, because we were now on the open fields of the Kalahari. The lion walked past us to a bush ten feet away, and lay down next to a big male lion. Delia was wide awake now, and whispered to me, “Mark, look at the scar on his leg. Isn’t that Bones? ” Yes, it was the lion we named Bones. I had performed surgery on his broken leg a few years before. Turning my head, I saw lions sleeping around us, nine in all. We were in bed with a group of wild lions! Even after having lived on the Kalahari for five years, it was still a surprising and wonderful experience. (1)What did Mark hear when he was in his sleeping bag? (2)What did Delia see on the lion’s leg? (3)How many lions were sleeping around Mark and Delia? 和訳して(1)(2)(3)の問題に英語で答えてもらいたいです。

• 和訳をお願いできないでしょうか。

和訳をお願いできないでしょうか。 When delivery was made we need to know if it was highlighted by your receiving department on the delivery note that there were damaged cartons on the shipment. We will need to make a claim on the forwarder for any damages but this will be very difficult if the damage was not documented and highlighted to the forwarder on receipt of goods.