物理学と宇宙の謎の探求

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 私の父は宇宙の謎の探求に懐疑的でしたが、私は宇宙の真意を追い求める衝動に駆られています。
  • 宇宙に隠された意味を見つけ出すことへの強い欲求を感じ、それが実際に存在していると信じています。
  • 物理学は私の脳の舞台となり、理論物理学は私の宗教的な探求になりました。世界と自分自身の意味を理解するための最良の手段です。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳の添削お願いします。

(1) My father, ever practical, was skeptical about a life spent contemplating the mysterious workings of the cosmos."Nobody will pay you just to sit and think," he declared. My mother would have approved of mu becoming scientist had I worked on a cute for cancer but physics seemed mysterious and vaguely sinister to her. いつも現実的な私の父は、宇宙の謎の働きを熟考して過ごす生活に懐疑的であった。 父は「誰もお前にただ座って考えるだけのことを与えはしないさ。」と言った。 母は、私が願の治療をするなら、私が科学者になることに賛成しただろうが、物理学は母にとって謎に包まれ、そして漠然と不吉なように思えた。 (2) It's a feeling of being drawn inescapably toward the serene heart of existence a compulsion to search for hidden meaning in the universe along with a conviction that meaning is in fact out there, lying just within my grasp. 宇宙において、隠れた意味を捜す衝動で、実際には真意はちょうど私の手が届く範囲のどこかに存在しているという、存在するという平静な心へと引き付けられる避けられない感覚である、 (3) Physics is ,after all, the tune to which the atoms of my brain dance. So theoretical physics became, in a sense, my religious quest, the best hope I had of making sense of the world and my place within it. 結局、物理学は私の脳の原子がいいなりになるのだ。 だから、ある意味では、理論物理学者は私の信心深く捜し求めるもの、その中に宇宙、そして私の居場所を理解する、私が1番期待しているものになったのだ。 特に(2)と(3)の訳がもうはちゃめちゃですが・・・ 宜しくお願いします。

• r0b1
  • お礼率71% (125/174)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> My father, ever practical, was skeptical about a life spent contemplating the mysterious workings of the cosmos." Nobody will pay you just to sit and think," he declared. > いつも現実的な私の父は、宇宙の謎の働きを熟考して過ごす生活に懐疑的であった。父は「誰もお前にただ座って考えるだけのことを与えはしないさ。」と言った。  2番目の文、to sit and think は、「・・・のために」 と訳すことのできる to の用法。この文での pay は 「(給料などを) 支払う」 の意味で用いられている。「ただ坐って考えていてもらうために金を出す者などいやしない」   > My mother would have approved of my becoming scientist had I worked on a cure for cancer but physics seemed mysterious and vaguely sinister to her. > 母は、私が願の治療をするなら、私が科学者になることに賛成しただろうが、物理学は母にとって謎に包まれ、そして漠然と不吉なように思えた。  work on a cure of cancer の work on Aは 「Aについて研究する」 という意味なので、「癌の治療をするなら」 ではなくて 「癌の治療法を研究するのなら」 > It's a feeling of being drawn inescapably toward the serene heart of existence a compulsion to search for hidden meaning in the universe along with a conviction that meaning is in fact out there, lying just within my grasp. > 宇宙において、隠れた意味を捜す衝動で、実際には真意はちょうど私の手が届く範囲のどこかに存在しているという、存在するという平静な心へと引き付けられる避けられない感覚である、  むっちゃ訳しにくい文に思えます。構造としては、前半が existence までで、 a compulsion 以下は a feeling と同格と見ることができるかも。それなら、とりあえず前半だけ訳してしまって、「それは、存在するという平静な心へと引き付けられる避けられない感覚だ」 としておきます。後半の部分の in fact を 「真意は」 と訳してしまったのは惜しい。「実際に」 くらいでよいのでは? 続いて 「つまり、現実に、ちょうど私の手が届く範囲のどこかに存在しているところの、隠れた意味を捜す衝動だ」 とも出来ると思います。 > Physics is, after all, the tune to which the atoms of my brain dance. So theoretical physics became, in a sense, my religious quest, the best hope I had of making sense of the world and my place within it. > 結局、物理学は私の脳の原子がいいなりになるのだ。だから、ある意味では、理論物理学者は私の信心深く捜し求めるもの、その中に宇宙、そして私の居場所を理解する、私が1番期待しているものになったのだ。  初めの文、Physics is the tune を 「いいなりになるのだ」 と訳された真意が分りかねます。直訳すれば、「物理学とは、それに合わせて私の頭の中の原子たちが踊る音楽だ」 くらいになるのではないでしょうか。theoretical physics became my religious quest は、「信心深く捜し求めるもの」 というより、直訳して 「宗教的な探求に等しいものになった」 とでもした方がいいかも。making sense of the world は、「世界 (というもの) を理解する」 という意味です (make sense of A は、「Aを理解する、解明する」 という熟語です)。

r0b1
質問者

お礼

どうもありがとうございました

関連するQ&A

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Once, an elderly man consulted me because of his severe depression. He could not overcome the loss of his wife who had died two years before and whom he had loved above all else. Now how could I help him? Well, I refrained from telling him anything, but instead confronted him with a question, "What would have happened if you had died first, and your wife would have had to survive you?:" "Oh," he said, "for her this would have been terrible; how she would have suffered!" "You see," I replied, " such a suffering has been spared her, and you have spared her this suffering - to be sure, at the price that now you have to survive and mourn her." He said no word but shook my hand and calmly left my office. In some way, suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.  Of course, this was no treatment in the proper sense since, first, his despair was no disease, and second, I could not change his attitude toward his unchangeable fate because from that time on he could at least see a meaning in his suffering. Our main concern is not to gain pleasure or to avoid pain but rather to see a meaning in our life. That is why we are even ready to suffer, on the condition, to be sure, that our suffering has a meaning.

• 和訳の添削お願いします!

自分なりに訳しましたが、一部訳せないところなどあります。訂正・解答お願い致します<m(__)m> 1) I was impatient to return to England for the pleasure of seeing my book in the windows of the bookshops, but to my surprise and chagrin, not a copy was to be seen anywhere. ・私は、書店の店頭に自分の書物を見たいと思って、イングランドに戻りたくてやきもきしておりましたけども、私の驚いたことまた無念なことには、一冊もどこにも見出されることはなかった。 2) This too stemmed from the traditions of studying Latin and Greek in England, but surely it was expecting too much of students who had received so little exposure to any from of the Japanese language. ・これはまた、イングランドにおけるラテン語やギリシャ語を勉強する伝統から生じたものであったのですが、日本語のいかなる形態にもほとんど接触することがなかった学生たちに、それはあまりにも多くのことを求めていたのであります。 3) I was proud to be at one of the great universities o fEurope, and the fact that I was actually earning a living by doing what gave me greatest pleasure, reading literature was almost too goog to be ture. ・私はヨーロッパの立派な大学の1つにいることを誇りにしていたし、また私に大きな喜びを与えてくれること、文学を読むことで、実際に生計を成すという事実は信用できないほど良かった。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英文和訳お願いします!

In the age of abundance, the apparent availability of virtually all material necessities tended to lead people to expect speedy gratification of their desires and to have little sense of the length of time over which people in other times and places had had to wait in order to have some of their more basic material needs satisfied. お願いしますm(__)m

• 和訳お願いします。

The University of Manchester's eminent physicist Sir Arthur Schuster had wide-ranging interests in physics and applied mathematics; he carried on a worldwide correspondence with other scientists. He amassed a remarkable collection of scientific papers. Many were autographed and many contained marginal queries and comments which would be valuable to a historian of this period of exciting development in physics. Shortly after the end of World War 2,a catalogue offered for sale the Schuster collection of reports,complete with oak bookcases.In this time of shortage of many things,including metal shelving,the Librarian of a large US state university found it expedient to buy the library. He found use for its bookcases;the collection of scientific papers was dispersed and destroyed.

• 和訳したので、添削してください。

以下の文章を訳してみたので、添削してくださるとうれしいです。 また、長文であったため、区切ってあります。 これより前の文章の大まかな内容は、『飛行機設計士のBurt Rutan はいつか自分が宇宙に旅行出来ることを信じ、自分自身で宇宙船を造ることを決心した。』というものです。 Rutan was encouraged to build his own spaceship by the history of airplane design itself. Rutanは、飛行機設計自体の歴史によって彼自身の宇宙船を建造するのを奨励された。 Five years after the Wright brothers’ first flight in 1903, the airplane was still just a dangerous curiosity. 1903年、ライト兄弟の最初の飛行の5年後に飛行機はまだちょうど危険な奇妙なものだった。 Only a dozen or so people had tried flying in an airplane. 1ダースぐらい(約12人位の)人々だけは、飛行機で飛んでみた。 Yet by 1912 hundreds of pilots had flown airplanes of different designs that were developed through private enterprise. それでも、19万1200人ものパイロットによって、民間企業を通して開発された異なるデザインの飛行機が飛んだ。 The bad designs crashed; the good designs flew. 悪い設計のものは墜落した;良い設計のものは飛んだ。 Soon factories in France, England, and Germany were producing hundreds, and then thousands, of airplanes a year. すぐに、フランス、イングランドとドイツの工場は、何百、そして、数千もの飛行機を一年で製造していた。 “Why? I believe the answer lay in two observations: ‘That’s gotta be fun’ and ‘Maybe I can do that,’” says Rutan. 「なぜ?私は、答えが2つの観察にあったと思っている:『それは、楽しみでなければならない』、そして、『多分、私はそれをすることができるだろう』」と、Rutanは言う。

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Unlike the quiet and quickness you experience in a car, spending an afternoon on a bike is like indulging in a sensory feast. Not only was able to leisurely take in the wonderful sights and sounds of spring - wisteria-framed doorways, lilacs in full bloom, and the laughing seagulls flying overhead - I was also to revel in the sensuous smells of honeysuckle, sea rose, and backyard barbecues!  As I pedaled through my neighborhood, I smiled to myself as I recalled how I had labored over the decision to buy a bike for more than a year. The truth is that my indecision stemmed from self-consciousness and fear of the unknown. What if I bought the wrong kind of bike and regretted my purchase? Could I still remember how to ride a bike considering there were now eighteen speeds instead of three? Did I have the physical stamina to actually get somewhere? My fear of not knowing, feeling foolish, or looking silly kept me from enjoying what had become one of my favorite summer pastimes.

• 至急和訳お願いします!

至急和訳お願いします! When I came to the United States as a lad of six, the most needful lesson for me, as a boy, was the necessity for thrift. I had been taught in my home across the sea that thrift was one of the fundamentals in a successful life. My family had come from a land noted for its thrift ; but we had been in the United States only a few days before the realization came home strongly to my father and mother that they had brought their children to a land of waste. Where the Dutchman saved , the American wasted. There was waste,and the most prodial waste, on every hand. In every street-car and on every ferry-boat the floors and seats were littered with newspapers that had been read and thrown away or left behind. お願いします!

• 英文の添削

英文を作りました。 間違っているところなどありましたら教えてください。 I made a mistake in English sentence. Mistake is a way to grow. Mame,come here,and you will eat a piece of cheese. We had snack together in my room. です。 Mameは飼っている猫の名前です。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳添削お願いします。

和訳の訂正など宜しくお願いします。 I would memorize passages I particularly liked and recite them to friends, even those who knew not a word of Japanese, being convinces that the beauty would be apparent from the sounds alone. ・私は特に好きな通説を暗唱して、そして日本語を一語も知らない友達に対してさえも、誇らしく物語りたい、その美は音からだけでも明らかになろうと確信しておったからなのです。(もはやぐちゃぐちゃ…) I learned at this time that the Chinese Government(the present government of Taiwan) was offering fellowships to Americans who had served in China during the war and who intended to pursue a career related in some way to China. ・私はこの頃、中国政府(現在の台湾政府)が戦争中に中国で軍部について、中国に何らかの関係を持つ仕事を追求する意図があるアメリカ人に、奨学金を提供していることを知った。 This too stemmed from the traditions of studying Latin and Greek in England, but surely it was expecting too much of students who had received so little exposure to any from of the Japanese language. ・これはまた、イングランドにおけるラテン語やギリシャ語を勉強する伝統から生じたものであったのですが、日本語のいかなる形態にもほとんど接触することがなかった学生たちに、それはあまりにも多くのことを求めていたのであります。 以上、宜しくお願いします<m(__)m>

• 和訳お願いします!!

Elizabeth’s letter brought news of my family and friends and enquired anxiously about my health. Henry had hidden from them the full extent of my illness, and had written only of my recent improvement. But they wished to have the confirmation in my own hand. I wrote to them immediately, which greatly fatigued me. In another two weeks I was able to leave my chamber. この文章の訳があっているか不安なのでわかる方訳を教えてください!ちなみに自分で訳した訳は、 エリザベスの手紙は、私の家族と友人にニュースをもたらして、私の健康について心配しているかと聞いた。 ヘンリーは、私の病気の完全な程度をそれら(手紙)から隠した。そして、最近の私の進歩だけを書いた。 しかし彼らは、私の自筆の手紙でもって確認することを望んだ。 私はすぐに手紙を書いた。それは私に強い疲労をもたらした。 2週間がたって私は特別室を出ることができた。