Mr Timberlake's Surprising Encounter with a Branch

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A humorous incident unfolds as Mr Timberlake and the narrator glide towards a tree on the water.
  • The narrator wonders why weeping willows are named so and suggests calling them laughing willows instead.
  • Mr Timberlake, unaware of a branch about to hit him, comically misunderstands the narrator's warning to duck.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

どんな内容か教えてください。

We were gliding now quickly towards the arbh;in fact,I was already under it. 'I think I should duck,'I said. 'Just bend down for this one.' 'What makes the trees lean over the water like this?'asked Mr Timberlake. 'Weeping willows──I'll give you a thought there. How Error likes to make us dwell on sorrow. Why not call them laughing willows?' discoursed Mr Timberlake as the branch passed over my head. 'Duck,'I said. 'Where?'I don't see them,'said Mr Timberlake,turning round. 'No,your head,'I said. 'The branch,'I called. 'Oh,the branch.This one?'said Mr Timberlake ,finding a branch just against his chest,and he put out a hand to lift it. It is not easy to lift a willow branch and Mr Timberlake was surprised.

• gdgdd
  • お礼率9% (7/76)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

我々はこのとき(石橋の)アーチに向かって、スピードを出し、事実、もうその下まで来ていた。  「頭を引っ込めた方がいい」と私は言った。 「頭をちょっと下げればいい」  「なぜ水の上にこんなに木がさしかかっているのかね?」とティンバーレイクさんは聞いた。  「しだれ柳(英語では「泣き柳」の意)ま考えててみるんだね。いかに過ちが我々を長い間悲しませるかを、(そのかわり)笑い柳、と名付けてはどうだろう」と枝が頭上を通り過ぎる時、ティンバーレイクさんは言った。  「首を引っ込めて」と私が言った。  「枝です」と私は叫んだ。  「あ、枝か、これだね」とティンバーレイクさんは、胸に当たった一本の枝を見つけ、持ち上げようと手を出した。  柳の枝を持ち上げるのは容易ではないのに、ティンバーレイクさんはびっくりした。

関連するQ&A

• どんな内容か教えてください。

'No,don't do that.I can manage it,he said. I did not want to offend one of the leaders of our church,so I put the paddle down;but I felt I ought to have taken him farther along away from the irritation of the trees. 'Of course,'I said,'we could go under them.It might be nice.' 'I think,'said Mr Timberlake,'that would be a very good idea.' He lunged hard on the pole and took us towards the next archway of willow branches. 'Me may have to duck a bit,that's all,'I said. 'Oh,I can push the branches up,'said Mr Timberlake. 'It is better to duck,'I said.

• どんな内容か教えてください。お願いします。

'How's that you guys?'said Mr Timberlake,looking round at our eddies and drawing in the pole.The delightful water sished down it. 'Fine,'I said. Deferentially I had caught the word.He went on his sleeve,perhaps,and uncertain in his steering,which I corrected,but he was doing well. 'It comes back to me,'hesaid.'How am I doing?' 'Just keep her out from the trees,'I said. 'The trees?'he said. 'The willows,'I said. 'I'll do it now,he said. 'How's that? Now quite enough? Well,how's this?' 'Another one,'I said. 'The current runs strong this side.' 'What? More trees?'he said. He was getting hot. 'We can shoot out past them,'I said. 'I'll ease us over with the paddle.' Mr Timberlake did not like this suggestion.

• どんな内容か教えてください。

By the time I had got the punt out,there were several yards of water as the branch bent under his weight. Boats were passing at the time but no one seemed to notice us. I was glad about this. This was a private agony. A double chin had appeared on the face of Mr Timberlake and his head was squeezed between his shoulders and his hanging arms.

• どんな内容か教えてください。

For a full minute I did not believe what I saw; indeed,our religion taught us never to believe what we saw. Unbelieving,I could not move. I gaped. The impossible had happened. Only a miracle, I found myself saying,could save him. What was most striking was the silence of Mr Timberlake as he hung from the tree. I was lost between gazing at him and trying to get the punt out of the small branches of the tree.

• 至急訳していただけますか?

Mr Timberlake,I saw to my disappointment,was out to show he understood the young.

• 至急訳して頂けますか?

"Waal,what say?"said Mr Timberlake. I could only murmur.

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

Dorothy was beside us in no time. She peered one-eyed at the glasses, then at me. "Are you constipated?" she said. I maintained silence. But I felt she was seeing everything through her green glasses. "Put them on," Dorothy said. "Try them on," said Basil. They were ganged up together. Everything was going wrong, for I had come here to see how matters stood between them after the affair of the will. Basil gave me something to read. "It's all right now," I said, "but it was all a blur when I tried to read this morning." "Better take a dose," Dorothy said. I wanted to get out of the shop with my glasses as quickly as possible, but the brother said, "I'd better test your eyes again while you're here just to make sure." He seemed quite normal. I followed him into the dark interior. Dorothy switched on the light. They both seemed normal. The scene in the little office last night began to lose its conviction. As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 -------------------------------------------------------------- 一番最後の As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. の個所の ●I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds"というのは 主人公のどういう心境を表しているのでしょうか? うまく掴めません。 ●and feared their authority, and was in the wrong.のauthority(権威)とはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 小説の前の方から読んでいないとわかりにくいと思いますが、教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 前文は "What are you doing?" she said. He jumped up and pulled the blotting paper over his work. Her one eye through her green glasses glinted upon him, though I did not actually see it do so, but saw only the dark green glass focused with a squint on to his face. "I'm making up the accounts," he said, standing with his back to the desk, concealing the papers. I saw his hand reach back and tremble among them. "I shivered in my soaking wet clothes. Dorothy looked with her eye at the window. I slid sideways to avoid her and ran all the way home. Next morning I said. "I've tried to read with these glasses. It's all a blur. I suppose I'll have to take them back?" "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?" I took them into Mr Simmonds early that afternoon. "I tried to read with them this morning, but it's all a blur." It was true that I had smeared them with cold cream first. となっています。

• 中2の英語の教科書で、指示代名詞についての質問です

次の文中で、彼が That を使って答えているのはなぜですか? It ではないのですか? (中2の英語の教科書です。) Near the end of the day, I found a strange rock. When I found it, Mr Oka was walkning nearby. I asked him, "What's this?" He said, "That's an old shell. Our town was under water long ago."

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

My grandmother said, "Did you see--" "--Mr Simmonds' sister?" said my aunt. "Yes, she was there all the time," I said, to make it definite. My grandmother said, "They say she's going---" "---blind in one eye," said my aunt. "And with the mother bedridden upstairs---" my grandmother said. "---she must be a saint," said my aunt. Presently--it may have been within a few days or a few weeks--my reading glasses arrived, and I wore them whenever I remembered to do so. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (主人公は13歳の女の子です) Mr Simmonds=検眼士です。 ・ "---she must be a saint," (彼女は聖人であるに違いない?) このセリフはどういう意味ですか? sheはMr Simmonds' sisterのことですか? ☆"眼鏡をかける"、を英文にしたときwearとput onのどちらを使っても違いはないのでしょうか?よく使われるのはwearの方ですか? 前文は "Can you read?" said Mr Simmonds.   I stopped looking round. I said, "Read what?"--for I had been told I would be asked to read row after row of letters. The card which hung beneath the dim light showed pictures of trains and animals.   "Because if you can't read we have pictures for illiterates."  This was Mr Simmonds' joke. I giggled. His sister smiled and dabbed her right eye with her handkerchief. She had been to London for an operation on her right eye.  I recall reading the letters correctly down to the last few lines, which were too small. I recall Mr Simmonds squeezing my arm as I left the shop, turning his sandy freckled face in a backward glance to see for certain that his sister was not watching. となっています。 宜しくお願いします。

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

Michael Mulford's father Mark survived the battle as a teenager aboard the HMS Malaya, which was hit eight times with the loss of more than 60 men. Mr Mulford said his father, then 19, had watched as the bodies were sewn into hammocks and released over the side. He told the BBC: "I can't really imagine it because what he ever said about it was absolutely nothing - which speaks volumes for the horror of raw naval warfare. "This was duty, this was service, but whatever else, it was nothing you could talk about at the dinner table. It was not something to regale the grandchildren with. It was long ago, it was dreadful but it had to be done and was done." Mr Mulford added: "Today is a day for peace and reconciliation."