• ベストアンサー

NHK「ニュースで英会話」の文について

NHK「ニュースで英会話」に次の文が以前出た時に 気になっていたことを質問します。 But Obama added the economy still needs fixing and urged his colleagues to work tirelessly for the legislation to take hold. 何故、「needs」は過去形ではないのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#183197
noname#183197
回答No.1

昨日の今日みたいなもんで、今も必要だというフィーリングが強いのです。あえて時制を一致させない。

neko_tango
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます! 教えて頂いたことで大きく一歩前進したように思います。思い切って質問して良かったです。

その他の回答 (2)

• ad-astra
  • ベストアンサー率64% (126/196)
回答No.3

No. 1の方のご説明通りです。ちょっと補足を。  ニュース、特に新聞英語では時制の一致が無視されます。見出しHeadlineでは、過去のことを報道することが当たり前ですが、迫真性を求めるために殆ど現在形が作られます。記事中の文の主節が過去形でも、従属節が現在形ということが同じ動機で行われることになります。ご自分で記事を書くはめになったとき以外ではまねしないでください! :-)

neko_tango
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます! 参考になりました!

回答No.2

時制の一致というのは 「いい」と思った 日本語では「いい」でよくても,「思った」と同じ時点だから 「いい」も過去形にする,という英語の原則です。 同時である,ここが大事です。 同じ過去のことだから過去形。 今回の場合,added「つけ加えた」という行為自体は過去。 ただ,「必要だ」というのはその発言時のみでなく,このことが伝えられている 今この瞬間も必要である。 だから needs という現在形。 習慣や真理は時制の一致の例外 これに含めてもいいですが, とにかくいつの時点のことなのかを客観的にとらえていけば大丈夫です。 ここでもしばしば以上,質問されているパターンですね。

neko_tango
質問者

お礼

wind-sky-windsさん、いつもご回答ありがとうございます! 時制の一致の例外と言われれば、確かに文法書で読んだことがあると思うのですが、実際の文例に出会った時には思い起せないものですね…

関連するQ&A

• NHK「ニュースで英会話」での邦訳について

2月2日のNHK「ニュースで英会話」にでてくる役で判らないところがあります。 http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/e-news/elearning/explain.cgi?ymd=20120202&type=news&id=9000 Estonian Ozeki Baruto sewed up the championship on Friday, but he still came into the final day like a man with something to prove. So did his opponent. (エストニア人の大関・把瑠都は金曜日にすでに優勝を決めましたが、千秋楽には何か意気込みを感じさせて登場しました。対戦相手も同様でした。) とありますが、like a man with something to prove について「何か意気込みを感じさせて」と訳する様ですが 辞書を調べてもしっくりいきません。 熟語なのでしょうか?

• ニュースで英会話での訳が判らず困っています。

2月2日放送のNHK ニュースで英会話でのセンテンスなのですが 「Estonian Ozeki Baruto sewed up the championship on Friday, but he still came into the final day like a man with something to prove. So did his opponent.」 (エストニア人の大関・把瑠都は金曜日にすでに優勝を決めましたが、千秋楽には何か意気込みを感じさせて登場しました。対戦相手も同様でした。) と訳されています。 http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/e-news/elearning/explain.cgi?ymd=20120202&type=news&id=9000 「like a man with something to prove.」は「 何か意気込みを感じさせて登場した」の訳に繋がらないのですが、強引に イデオムとして覚えるしかありませんか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• NHK NEWS buturikko1さん

こういう質問欄の使い方をしていいのかどうか分かりませんが、質問者:"buturikko1"さま -日付:2011-10-04 20:57:38の「NHKWORLD NEWS」に関して、実際にNHKに以下のように質問したところ、次のように返事をもらいました。やはり"whom"は"who"にしなければいけないとのことでした。すっきりされるとうれしいです。 ------(NHKさまから) Dear [私の名前] Thank you for your mail and your inquiry concerning the use of word in our news text. The text you referred to is not the exact text spoken by Mr. Obama, and we are sorry that it should have been "who" instead of "whom". Thank you again, and we hope that you would continue to watch NHK WORLD TV. Regards, NHK WORLD ------- Original Message (私の)------- 2011-10-05 17:58:00 Hi! May I ask you a question about the NHKWORLD news script entlitle d "Poll:Obama may lose 2012 presidential election; Tuesday, October 04, 2011  11:39 +0900 (JST)" The last paragraph said like this;"He stressed that the next election is going to be about whom the American public believes shares their values and that the people still back his approach to governing." Could I take "whom" on the first line for "who"? I don't think it makes any sense if I take it as it is.  Actually on some Q&A site somebody asked this question. When I heard the news, he didn't say anything to that effect. Only on the script I found this "whom." I think this is grammatically wrong and that it should be "who." If you have time to spare, your response will be appreciated. Thank you.

• facts on the ground

President-elect Obama may have hoped he would have time to develop an approach to peacemaking in the Holy Land. But as usual, the schedule is dictated by facts on the ground. It is unclear how engaged Obama can be in the Middle East in the early months of his administration; his first priority will be fixing the American economy. What Obama can't delay once he takes office is forcefully recommitting the United States to a two-state solution and the basic framework for peace that already exists. イスラエルパレスチナ問題の記事です。 2行目の facts on the groundは 目の前にある問題(アメリカ国内の問題)でスケジュールはいっぱいになっている という意味にとってよいのでしょうか。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• recommitting the United States to

President-elect Obama may have hoped he would have time to develop an approach to peacemaking in the Holy Land. But as usual, the schedule is dictated by facts on the ground. It is unclear how engaged Obama can be in the Middle East in the early months of his administration; his first priority will be fixing the American economy. What Obama can't delay once he takes office is forcefully recommitting the United States to a two-state solution and the basic framework for peace that already exists. パレスチナ問題についての記事ですが、最後の文章がわかりません。 就任後すぐにオバマ氏がしなければいけないことは、2カ国の解決策とすでに出来上がっている和平への基本構想を、アメリカに無理にでも再付託することである。 この アメリカに再付託することである という意味がよくわかりません。 宜しくおねがいします(´_`。)

• In Mr. Obama, の意味

NEWYORKTIMESのオンライン記事です。 http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/us/politics/09assess.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1199855744-cjp94KCs/LOv0ZC6O2kOyg For all the glee in her camp, she still faces big challenges. In Mr. Obama, Mrs. Clinton is facing an opponent who has been lifted on the wind of nationwide anti-Washington climate change. She has often appeared to be exasperated in seeking to challenge his level of experience, his consistency, his positions or his electability against a Republican party certain to fight hard to hold the White House. 上の文章の In Mr.Obama, Mrs.Clinton is facing...の部分で、In Mr.Obama の意味は、何なんでしょうか。単に、「オバマ氏に関して」のような意味でいいのでしょうか。それとも、「オバマ氏との戦いにおいて」のような意味にするべきなのでしょうか。

• これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています

これらの文がうまく訳せなくて困っています。助けてください。よろしくお願いします。 The French statesman still believed in the formation of a ‘force de frappe nucleaire’ together with the USA and Great Britain, which did not, in the event, materialize. This idea, which was only superficially impressive, was not to meet with any success. On the contrary, his policy led to a deepening of the division, not only of Germany, but also of Europe.

• 自然な会話文になるように、添削をお願いします。-3-

Cathy: Hey. There she is. Morning, Alice. Alice: Oh. Morning, Cathy. C: How did it go yesterday? Tell me. A: Well... It was not something I expected, but ended up great, I guess.〈g〉 C: What happened, exactly? Come on! A: Okay. We were meeting together at a movie theater... C: Oh? He didn't pick you up? He doesn't drive? A: Sure he does. It's just that his parents don't let him drive alone for now. C: Okay. Then? A: I got there a bit early, so waited for him... drinking some coffee... and when I saw him coming up, my brain stopped... The next moment, he was standing in front of me and saying "Hi", smiling. C: Wow! A: ... Well, I was just swept off my feet by his very cool line of "Hi" and ... I... C: Alice? A: I... spilled coffee on my clothes... C: Oh, no! You okay? Didn't get burned? A: No, it wasn't that hot any more, but... C: I know how you feel, Alice... I'd rather die, if I were you... A: Yeah, I was embarrassed and almost started to cry, actually. But, Cathy, he said to me this way, as he took his jacket off and handed it to me. "Don't you worry. You wanna come to my place to get it cleaned, okay? I know my mom's expecting you to come and would be more than happy to take care of this. And besides, I wanna spend some more time with you. Alice, is it okay to call my mom and ask her to pick us up?" ... I think I'm in love, Cathy... C: He's so sweet! No wonder you never looked better... Well, Alice... I wanna ask you something... He has any brothers? A: Oh, come on! お時間ありましたら、お願い致します。

• Shipping関係の文

It's 16 days since you sent the mail of shipping ,But i still havent got the order yet. How long does it take the order delivered to my home? 配送のメールがきてからというもの、16日もたつのに、まだ商品を受け取っていません、いったい、商品の配達にどれほどの時間がかかるのですか?という質問のメールをつくってみました。チェックをお願いします。 とくに、「いったい」という部分を強調したいのですが、 How long the hell というフレーズをつかっても大丈夫でしょうか。 適切なフレーズがあれば、教えていただけるとたすかります。 おねがします。

• NHK ニュースで英会話

NHK ニュースで英会話はどのくらいの難易度でしょうか? 高校英語と比べてどのくらい難しいのでしょうか? センター試験英語もこんなレベルでしょうか?