Zero Collapsed: A Story of Perseverance and Friendship

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Zero collapses, but his determination keeps him going.
  • Zero's pain and weakness bring thoughts of his own mortality.
  • Stanley and Zero find strength in spelling words and supporting each other.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Zero collapsed. The shovel stayed

Zero collapsed. The shovel stayed up a fraction of a second longer, perfectly balanced on the tip of the blade, then it fell next to him.  Zero knelt, bent over with his head on the ground. Stanley could hear a very low moaning sound coming from him. He looked at the shovel and couldn't help but think that he might need it to dig a grave. Zero's last hole.  And who will dig a grave for me? he thought.  But Zero did get up, once again flashing thumbs-up.  "Give me some words," he said weakly.  It took Stanley a few seconds to realize what he meant. Then he smile and said, Run."  Zero sounded it out to himself. "Rr-un, run. Run."  "Good. F-u-n."  "Fffun."  The spelling seemed to help Zero. It gave him something to concentrate on besides his pain and weakness.  It distracted Stanley as well. The next time he looked up at Big Thumb, it really did seem closer.  They quit spelling words when it hurt too much to talk. Stanley's throat was dry. He was weak and exhausted, yet as bad as he felt, he knew that Zero felt ten times worse. As long as Zero could keep going, he could keep going, too.  上のHe was weak and exhausted, yet as bad as he felt, he knew that Zero felt ten times worse. を英文和訳してください.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

「彼(スタンレー)は体力が失せ、疲れきっていた、しかし自分が元気がないとは感じたが、ゼロは,その十倍も疲れ切っていることを知っていた。」 でしょうか。ゼロもスタンレーも、疲れていたが、スタンレーはゼロの疲労が、自分の十倍もあることを知っていた、ということでしょう。

greekgift
質問者

お礼

よく見たら,he knew that Zero felt ten times worse as bad as he felt.のas bad as he feltが前に出ただけだとわかりました.  ともあれ,回答ありがとうございました.

関連するQ&A

• Character Analysis

お願いします。授業で提出するのですが文法苦手なので添削いただいてもよろしいでしょうか。(HOLESという小説を使っています) In Holes's central character is Stanley Yelnats. His name was spelled the same frontward and backward. So his ancestors kept naming their sons Stanley. Since he was gawky and fat, he had no friend.therefore, he would often play with stuffed-animals by his lonesome. however, he wanted make friend and go to camp. According to 3rd chapter, I understand that he was friend-hungry child. When he went to Green lake Camp, he was so shy. Despite he was innosent, Police alleged he was guilty and Stanley could not say "No". In camp, he took a rib from his other camper. However, through a certain experience, he changed personality. the incident was his an only close friend Zero escaped from the facility. for try to find his cohort, He left from institution. Judging from Stanley's action, He had changed a lot. He is not shy anymore and he tried to get to "the Promised land" at the risk of his life. In Holes Zero is one of the central character and he was reticent boy and He has no relatives. He was not open up to everybody first but his stiff heart was melted by Stanley's kindness. Through Zero was taught Alphabet by Stanley, He opened up to Stanley and became chat a lot. they bit the bullet their adversity together and developed friendship with him. 途中の「his stiff heart was melted by Stanley's kindness」 は「彼の硬い心がスタンレーの優しさによって溶け出した」といいたいのですが英語の表現がわからないので日本語を直訳してみました。意味は通じるでしょうか よろしくお願いします<(_ _)>

• サマライズの添削

Holesという小説のひとつの章をサマライズしました、よければ文法見ていただけると助かります In chapter 41 of Holes, Zero takes a change for the better. Since Stanley and Zero's clothes are very dirty, they are rinse them. While washing their clothes, Zero frankly confesses his story to Stanley. When Zero was a child, he had stole what he needed. He was not taught thieving was not good by his mother. One day, he wanted to change a pair of shoes, then he found an old shoes and he took it. Zero did not know whose shoes is. It is Clyde Livingston's shoes. He placed them on top of a parked car. Eventualy,Zero was arrested since he tried to steal a pair of new shoes next day.

• 提出課題(少々長いです)

お願いします 小説のホールズを使った提出課題があります。以下が課題の説明文です 1. Basic Information (required) Introduce the title and author of the book. Briefly describe the plot and several of the main characters. Be careful to leave out the ending of the story. You don’t want to tell the reader the ending, especially if you are trying to persuade the person to read the book. 2. Highlights (optional) Describe the highlights or your favorite parts of the book and explain why you liked them. 以下が私の文です ※2のハイライトはまだ2つ目を選んでいるところなのでとりあえず一つだけです。 文中の()は自分の言いたいことです The title of the novel is "Holes" and the author is Louis Sachar. A boy, whose name is Stanley, he is a central character. This story starts from shoes fall down to Stanley's head. He alleges that he stole baseball player’s shoes but he is innocent. He is sent to Green lake Camp that place is correction facility, he go there as criminal person. Since he is very shy and gawky, in the camp, he is always teased from another camper. Through a certain incident, he had changes a lot. It was another main character Zero's existence. Zero is reticent, no relatives and black. He does not open up to everybody first but only Stanley melt his heart. Later, Zero break out from the institution. Stanley makes up his mind to run after him. they bite the bullet for their adversity and they are headed to "the promised land" I would like to describe two favorite parts of the narrative. In chapter 32 of "Holes", by Louis Sachar, Stanley makes up his minds that run after Zero to save him. This scene has another meaning. Not only Stanley would be often teased by bully since he was little child, but also in the camp, some bully pokes fun at him. He always blames Stanley's great-great-grandfather. Therefore, His breakout is symbolic of break with his past and break the traumatic cycle. This is the most pivotal scene of this book. At last he is emancipated from the Birdcage called Fate and he chooses freedom instead of being shackle.(彼はやっと運命と言う名の鳥かごから開放され束縛ではなく自由を選んだ) At the moment that he takes the wheel, he changes his destiny by himself.(ハンドルを握った瞬間、彼は自分で運命を変える) This is my most favorite scene in this story. ※出だしのThe title of the novel is "Holes" and the author is Louis Sachar. ですがもう少し歯切れのいい言い方ってないでしょうか ※小説などの感想を書くときの時制がいまいち分かっていないのですが 以前どこかで「現在で書いたら現在で通す」と聞いたような覚えがあるのですが正しいでしょうか? よろしくお願いします<(_ _)>

• The Seal Who Became FamousのMoralの解説

The Seal Who Became Famous A SEAL who lay basking on large, smooth rock said to himself: all I ever do is swim. None of the other seals can swim any better than I can, he reflected, but, on the other hand, they can all swim just as well. The more he pondered the monotony and uniformity of his life, the more deoressed he became. That night he swam away and joined a circus. Within two years the seal had become a great balancer. He could balance lamps, billiard cues, medicine balls, hassocks, taborets, dollar cigars, and anything else you gave him. When he read in a book a reference to the Great Seal of the United States, he thought it meant him. In the winter of his third year as a performer he went back to the large, smooth rock to visit his friends and family. He gave them the Big Town stuff right away: the latest slang, liquor in a golden flask, zippers, a gardenis in his lapel. He blanced for them everything there was on the rock to balance, which was not much. When he had run through his repertory, he asked the other seals if they could do what he had done and they all said no. "O.K.," he said. " Let is see you do something I can not do." Since the only thing they could do was swim, they all plunged off the rock into the sea. The circus seal plunged right after them, pair of seventeen-dollar shoes, that he began to founder at once. Since he hadn't been in swimming for three years, he had forgot what to do with his fippers and tail, and he went down for the third time before the other seals could reach him. They gave him a simple but dignified funeral. Moral:Whom God has equpped with fippers should not mon-key arround with zippers. The Seal Who Became FamousのMoralの解説をしないといけないのですが、 良く分らないのです・・・文章の意味は大体分ったんですが・・・ 宜しくお願いします。

• The Seal Who Became FamousのMoralの解説

The Seal Who Became Famous A SEAL who lay basking on large, smooth rock said to himself: all I ever do is swim. None of the other seals can swim any better than I can, he reflected, but, on the other hand, they can all swim just as well. The more he pondered the monotony and uniformity of his life, the more deoressed he became. That night he swam away and joined a circus. Within two years the seal had become a great balancer. He could balance lamps, billiard cues, medicine balls, hassocks, taborets, dollar cigars, and anything else you gave him. When he read in a book a reference to the Great Seal of the United States, he thought it meant him. In the winter of his third year as a performer he went back to the large, smooth rock to visit his friends and family. He gave them the Big Town stuff right away: the latest slang, liquor in a golden flask, zippers, a gardenis in his lapel. He blanced for them everything there was on the rock to balance, which was not much. When he had run through his repertory, he asked the other seals if they could do what he had done and they all said no. "O.K.," he said. " Let is see you do something I can not do." Since the only thing they could do was swim, they all plunged off the rock into the sea. The circus seal plunged right after them, pair of seventeen-dollar shoes, that he began to founder at once. Since he hadn't been in swimming for three years, he had forgot what to do with his fippers and tail, and he went down for the third time before the other seals could reach him. They gave him a simple but dignified funeral. Moral:Whom God has equpped with fippers should not mon-key arround with zippers. The Seal Who Became FamousのMoralの解説をしないといけないのですが、 良く分らないのです・・・助けて下さい。 宜しくお願いします。

• どのような意味でしょうか

My son, who I've always felt very close to, has started to call me by my first name. I'm 67 and he's 40. I've always tried to be there for him. I have loved being his mom. He loves to tease me, so I didn't say anything about it for a while, because I knew he would run with it, but I figured he wasn't going to stop so I asked him to please stop calling me by my first name. he would run with itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語に訳してください

Roy's father,the head of the police,noticed Roy and spoke to him. "It's good to see you here,son. Mr.Crane was attacked by a robber with a mask. Mr.Crane had a big,beautiful diamond. He thought that the robber wanted it. So he tied the diamond to an arrow and shot it as far as he could. The robber got angry,and hit Mr.Crane. Now,Mr.Crane is in the hospital,and the robber is at large." お願いします(´>ω<`)

• この文における"off of"の役割を教えてください。

やはり、Louis Sacharの『HOLES』からです。 "Zigzag made a gagging sound, as he desperately tried to pry Zero's arm off of him" という文なのですが、この文で"off of"はどう解釈すればよいのでしょうか? 状況としては、Zero(登場人物の一人)がZigzag(登場人物の一人)の首をチョークホールドしていて、Zigzagが必死にそれをはずそうとしているところです。 このoff ofはこの文の直前にも出てきておりまして、抽出すると、 "Then, suddenly Zigzag was off of him. Stanley managed to look up, and he saw that Zero had his arm around Zigzag's long neck." とあります。ニュアンス的には、どちらも、"~から外す、離れる"といった感じになるような気がするのですが、それなら、"off"だけでいいのではないかと思ってしまいます。 いかがでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語に訳してください

Roy's father,the head of the police,noticed Roy and spoke to him. "It's good to see you here,son. Mr.Crane was attacked by a robber with a mask. Mr.Crane had a big,beautiful diamond. He thought that the robber wanted it. So he tied the diamond to an arrow and shot it as far as he could. The robber got angry,and hit Mr.Crane. Now,Mr.Crane is in the hospital,and the robber is at large." お願いします

• 翻訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? 段落が2つになっていますので、それぞれ内容が違うと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His health is not the most sturdy. He is slow to recuperate after illness, a little of the hypochondria in him so that any illness he gets however minor tends to be long and drawn out, and sinks him into invalidism, even if is just a flue or cold. He has a powerful sense of music and a faith in making the ideal a reality. He wants reality to be as he has dreamed it could be ...