• ベストアンサー

解釈の確認をお願いします

同僚について語っている場面です。 職業は危険の伴う探偵業です。 We went to high school together. So I got a real close relationship with those guys. I mean if we pull up on a stop or a call... I know what they're thinking. I don't have to warry about watching my back because I know they have it. 私たちは同じ高校に通った。 だからとても親密な関係だ。 立ち寄ったり話したりすれば 彼らが何を考えているかわかる。 彼らが後ろにいるから(フォローしてくれるから) 何も心配していない。 この訳であってますでしょうか? どなたか分かる方、お知恵を貸してください。 どうぞよろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

(1) I mean if we pull up on a stop or a call...  これは、第4行の「彼らが何を考えているかわかる」のいわば「前触れの無い再会」の例が二つ挙がっている訳です。  その1 pull up on a stop というのは「停止信号で車を止める」ですから「停止信号で車を止めたとき偶然会う」場合です。   http://eow.alc.co.jp/pull+up/UTF-8/  その2 or a call 「あるいは、電話がかかってくる」場合です。多分予告なしに電話がかかって来た時でしょう。   ですから「停止信号で車を止めた時に会ったり、急に電話がかかって来た時でも、彼らが何を考えているかわかる」という意味だと思います。 (2)最後の2行は、背中には目がないので無防備の面です。そこを「危険の伴う探偵業」だからカバーしてくれる、という、下記の説明が効いてきます。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/watch+one%27s+back/UTF-8/  「彼らが(僕の無防備の)後ろ側に目を光らせていてくれるから、何も心配しなくてもいい」ということでしょうね。

erika999
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 細かな説明をつけてくださってわかりやすく、とても助かりました。 (1)も(2)も、SPS700さんの訳が ぴったりはまる場面です。 どうもありがとうございました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

私もよくは分からないのですが、回答がないのでちょっと書かせていただきます。この記述は緊張感の伴うものではないかという感じがするので、そういう観点で見てみました。 >I mean if we pull up on a stop or a call... I know what they're thinking. pull up は馬の手綱を引っぱって急に止める、あのイメージでの「止まる」ととらえ、a stop を「待て」の意味でとると「つまり、待ての声や叫び声で急に止まっても、お互いに何を考えてるかが分かるんだ」 >I don't have to worry about watching my back because I know they have it. 「みんな分かってると知ってるから、警戒することに神経をすり減らさなくてもいいんだ」 こういうイメージでとらえてみました。

erika999
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 >私もよくは分からないのですが、回答がないのでちょっと書かせていただきます。 ↑ とても優しい方ですね! アドバイス、参考にさせていただきますね。 ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語にしてください。

You are wonderful I cannot wait to be together I think we shall have wonderful relationship

• この解釈であっているのかご確認お願いします。

I wish they could be a couple OMG というコメントを見かけたのですが、 これは彼らがカップルであればいいのに という意味でしょうか? それに対してi ship it. とコメントしている人がいたのですが、 このshipはrelationshipの略だと思います。 つまり私は二人をくっつけたいという解釈でいいでしょうか?

• 時制の問題で質問 その(2)

次の設問で、(   )に入るのは We (     ) each other since we were in high school. (1)  know  (2)  used to know (3)  have known (4)  have been knowing この中から、(3) have known が正解でしょうか? (4)のように、know がingの形をとることって、あるのでしょうか? どなたかお願いします!

• 文法解釈をお願いします

They are believed to be one of the most successful groups of animals we know. Theyが主語 are believedが述語 to be one of the most successful groups of animalsが目的語の 受動態の複文だと思うのですが we knowはどういう位置づけになるのでしょうか?

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします

Just because we don't talk to each other doesn't mean I don't think about you. I just try to distance myself because I know I cann't have you.

• 訳してください

yeah, and that's why I like japanese people, they are strict and personalities full of honor, but they're kind though :) do you know what's odd ? I just have female japanese penpals, I mean I love you in a kind of way I love someone, but it would also be nice to have a male japanese penpal (no homo xD) :) I'd like to know how they are and how they think and behave :) 上の文章を訳せる方 いらっしゃいましたら よろしくお願いします(_ _)

• 訳してください(T_T)

yeah, and that's why I like japanese people, they are strict and personalities full of honor, but they're kind though :) do you know what's odd ? I just have female japanese penpals, I mean I love you in a kind of way I love someone, but it would also be nice to have a male japanese penpal (no homo xD) :) I'd like to know how they are and how they think and behave :)

• 英文解釈お願いします

If the matter is one that can be settled by observation,make the observation yourself. Aristotle could have avoided the mistake of thinking that women have fewer teeth than men,by the simple device of asking. Mrs Aristotle to keep her mouth open while he counted. He didnot do so because he thought he knew. Thinking that you know when in fact you don't is a fatal mistake,to which we are all prone. この文の訳と構造分析お願いします

• 長文メールを和訳してください(>人<;)

知り合って間もない友人から長文メールが来ましたが英語が苦手でよく分かりません。訳してもらえませんか? 普段は日本語もしくは簡単な英語のやり取りです。 他力本願で申し訳ありませんが宜しくお願いします。 I have 2 daughters, they're grown up 14 years old and 16 years old, I raised them up alone with the help of  my mother :) ....They are big girls now, they don't give me too much trouble, they always want me to be  happy :) I love them a lot, they want me to meet a good woman who can make me happier :) If we communicate more, I will send you their photos. Their mother died  in September 2002, I have missed her a lot, she was a great woman, we knew each other  from High School. I have really missed some moments of being in a serious relationship, not having someone to lean on,  someone to talk to about anything/everything, someone to really trust, someone to count on, someone to  share true love and affection with. My kids have been my back-bone, but I cannot tell them everything, you  know? ...but I can talk to my wife/partner about everything. I want a relationship where I can share everything with my partner/wife, both happiness and problems  because I believe and have learn that sharing your problems with your partner, the more issues you can get  through together with your wife/husband, the closer you will get with he/she. I am a very simple, generous and happy person. I am not perfect, but If I make mistake, or hurt someone or do  something wrong, I like to say SORRY and when I say SORRY, I actually mean it from my heart. I am a very simple, generous and happy person. I am not perfect, but If I make mistake, or hurt someone or do  something wrong, I like to say SORRY and when I say SORRY, I actually mean it from my heart. Have you had a bad relationship before? Trust is important in a relationship from beginning, so if you are  biased about me or you don't trust me, It is better we stop communicating about relationship or friendship  from today, I don't like to waste my time because it is so precious to me. If you trust me and want a friendship and relationship with me, I will like to get letters and calls from you  always because if I do not get your replies or I don't receive calls from you, I will think you are talking to  someone better than me :) But If you write me letters and call me always, It will make me feel special, and I  will also feel that you like me and actually want to talk to me :) 

• 和訳チェックしてください(その2)

I know I made a massive mistake when I lied to you. I have apologised many times but I know it takes a long time to forget such a betrayal. As I have said I will never tell a lie to you again. あなたに嘘を言った時、私は大きな誤解(間違い??)を作った。私は何回も謝罪している、しかし、そのような嘘が長い間、裏切りになっているって思ってる。 私は二度と嘘をつかないとあなたに言っているよ。 I know we have a difficult relationship but you probably do not realise how much you mean to me, LOTS!!!!! 私たちは違う関係をもっている??。しかしあなた多分実現させない。私にとってあなたの意味は”失う”?? (違う関係は既婚と未婚のことですか?) よくわかりません。 I hope you still want to see me when I come to Japan, I certainly want to see you! 私が日本に行った時、あなたが私にまだ会いたと思うことを望んでいる。 Keep faith in me, you are very important to me. 私を信じていて、あなたはとても大切な人です。 I already know you are a VERY FUNNY GIRL amongst your many other qualities. もう知ってるよ、あなたの沢山の特徴のなかで?あなたがとても滑稽な少女って。 お願いします