• 締切済み

'become education'について。

“Although he didn't kill the lion, he still faces the challenge: now his lion has become education.” 'become education'とは何ですか。何となく分かるのですが、完全には腑に落ちないので、ご教授宜しくお願い致します。 ※某教科書の文なので、'正しい'英語には間違いないと思うのですが。

noname#111760
noname#111760
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

みんなの回答

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.3

この部分だけでは、どう解釈したらよいものやら、途方にくれてしまいます。 彼は the lion に対してどうしたのか、それがまず分らない。なぜ the lion を殺さなかったのか。なぜ突然に the lion が登場するのか。また、the challenge とはいかなるものなのか。そういう「前提」を把握した上でなければ education の意味も分りません。 仮想的な物語を作れば、ある男がジャングルに迷いこんだ。その前にライオンが現れる。何らかの方法でライオンを撃退することができたので、銃を使用せずに済んだ。けれどまだまだ安心はできない。他の獣に出会う可能性はいくらでもある。けれど、ライオンを撃退する方法が分ったことは、これから先の野獣との遭遇においても、役にたつかもしれないと考えている。 質問者さまが「何となく分かる」のは、この文にいたるまでの文章を読んでいて、その背景を把握しているからです。

noname#111760
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました!

• ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.2

ここだけ見ると「彼のライオンは教育と化した」としか訳せません。日本語でもそうですが、たいていこういう場合、ここでは単に「ん? ライオンが教育??」と思わせているだけで、なぜ「lion has become education」なのか、その解説はむしろ、その前後に書かれていたりします。要するに、このセンテンスは“つかみ”ではないでしょうか。いずれにしても、ライオンと対峙すべき人にとって、そのライオンは、やっぱりどう考えても、学校や教科書以上にすごい教育でしょう。

noname#111760
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました!

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

「彼はライオンを殺さなかったが、彼はまだ挑戦すべきことがある。こんどはライオンが教育になった」  彼は第一の目標は達成しなかったが、今度彼の新しい目標は、彼自身の教育に挑むことである。  どこかしっくりしませんが、まあこういうことが言いたいのではないでしょうか。

noname#111760
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• straightened out

Bud is 44 years old and owns his own business, but he does not save money. When I met him, he had nothing. Now he has $20,000 in a retirement account and another $5,000 in savings. He finally has his two kids pretty well straightened out, although they will never be exactly normal. has his two kids pretty well straightened outはどのような意味でしょぅか?よろしくお願いします

• see around corners

He still, at 54, wears his signature jeans-and-black-turtleneck outfit. And he still has his edge: prosperity hasn't robbed him of his disrespect for conventional wisdom, his spooky ability to see around corners, see around corners の意味がわかりません。どなたか解説してください。

• 接続副詞の使用法について

He has treated you badly ; ( ), he's your brother and you ought to help him. で訳は「彼はあなたにひどい仕打ちをした。それでも彼はあなたの兄だから、彼を助けるべきだ」となりますが、空所にはなぜalthoughが正解で、stillが間違いなのでしょうか。どちらも接続副詞で対立だと聞いたのですが。。。どなたか教えてください。

• 英語の文法ミス指摘してください

I like this story because there are many points, which makes me thinking about what human-being happiness is many times. Even though, Robert has a physical disability, he enjoys his life more than me. He did not imply negative contents of his physical disability. On the contrary, he has great pride in himself. For example, when the wife offered him to move his staff to his room, he said, “it can go up when I go up”. He declined her gentle offer because he wanted to do whatever he could do it by himself because of his pride. Also, he alway tries enjoying his life. When the husband offers blind man to smoke together, he accepts that offer, and he said, “There is a first time for everything”. Although it was a first time to smoke, He didn't to hesitate to do it. He likes doing new challenge, which is worth doing. That is why he enjoys his life.

• a man for education ←文意がつかめません

友人とNEWSHOURの学生向けの記事を使って英文読解をしています。記事の内容は、最近選挙の立候補者が、自分に若者が投票してくれるよう、YOUTUBEやMYSPACEを利用し始めたというものです。その中で、 Phil Angelides, the Democratic candidate for governor of California, has a Facebook page with 2,500 supporters where he posts responses to questions students leave on his message board. Aaron Coleman, a student at the University of California, San Diego, was impressed by the effort and posted the comment, "A real Facebook profile? Obviously a man for education ... see you at the polls Phil."という所のa man for education以下のところがよくわかりません。その立候補者のFacebookに載っている人たちが教養のありそうな人=さくらの人たち?だとわかるから、選挙の結果が楽しみだ、選挙で会おうぜ、フィル、といったニュアンスなんでしょうか?Myspaceの仕組みもよくわかってないので、何か参考になることを教えて頂ければと思います。よろしくお願いします。

• that said

shuren may be seen in the business world in the relationship between subordinate and boss, although in recent years the example of the boss who manages his subordinates harshly without any feedback has become rarer. That said, Westerners who have japanese bosses are still often puzzled by the lack of feedback. That saidの thatは何を指しているのでしょうか?

• 和訳お願いします

和訳をお願いします He had found it lying in the street,and as he looked at me over the top of his glasses,he said,“Maybe now you'll learn not to be careless and lose things.” I 'm a grown woman now,and I still lose things. I'm still careless. But what my father taught me that day was not a lesson of responsibility. I learned not to believe his laughter.Because even his laughter hurt.

• on disability

I have been in a relationship for four years. My partner has fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. When we met, he had just found out. He was still active, working, and we had sex regularly. Fast forward: He is now on disability, not working at all, we rarely sleep together and he never leaves the house. I love him still, but I didn't realize how hard this would be. I know he has a lot to cope with, but it's hard on me as well. on disabilityはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、it's hard on meはit's hard for meとどう違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• ☆★京大英作文添削お願いします★☆(1)

H19年前期の英作文の問題の添削をお願いします。 問題  教育とは何かと考えるときに、私が決まって思い出すのが小学校の恩師の顔である。先生は、私たち生徒に、物事に真剣に取り組むことを教えてくださった。その教えは、これまでの私の人生の指針となっている。今から考えると、先生の教えが私の心に響いたのは、先生の尊敬できる誠実な人柄によるところが大きかったように思う。教育において考慮すべきことは、教える内容だけではなく、教える側の人間性でもあるのだ。 [辞書不使用] When I think about what education is, I always think of my primary school teacher. She taught us the importance of doing a thing seriously. Her lesson has been a basic concept in my life. Now I think that it is probably because of her honest personality to respect that I still remember it. As to education, we should take into consideration the teachers' personalities as well as the taught contents. [辞書使用] *[ ]で括った表現が辞書を使った箇所です。 *括っていないところで表現が上と異なる場合は、辞書は使っていません。 Every time I think about what education is, I remember my teacher at primary school. He taught his students including me gave the lesson of [addressing a challenge in earnest]. The lesson has been the [concept guiding my life]. [Looking back], his lesson has got my heart mainly because he was so as [sincere] to respect. What we consider in education is not only teachings but also the teacher's personality. 以上です。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文について

Television brings us convenient life. (テレビは私たちに便利な生活をもたらしてくれる) For example, I don't but newspaper every day. I can't know weather in the day. Television has many programs. For instance, news, education and so on. Therefore, many people watch television. My father wants to know the news because his works is related society. He watch television after finish work. He has television for him. (彼は彼だけのテレビを持っている。) So he don't go out his room. I don't speak my father, now. I want to talk with my family. 何か間違いがあれば教えてください。 アドバイスなどもあれば教えてほしいです。