• ベストアンサー

strappie thing??

I used the Shoulder Dolly system to help my son and his family move. At first there was a lot of resistance to the new gadget, but by the 3rd heavy walnut chest of drawers, it was get the 'strappie thing' and let's move this beast. 上記は、とある商品(楽に重量物を運べるベルト)のお客さんの感想のひとつです。 この人は商品の評価を5点満点にしていて、満足はしているようです。 質問は「At first~」以下です。当初はこういった新製品には抵抗があったが、重たいクルミ材のタンスを運ぶ時、 'strappie thing'をゲットして??この化け物(タンス)を運ぶぞ!という気になった(?) 'strappie thing'の意味と文脈がわかりません・・ご意見をお聞かせください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#97642
noname#97642
回答No.3

こんにちは、おそらくこの投稿者は「’」引用符の範囲を間違えています。 >it was get the 'strappie thing' だとit was getじゃあ文法的に変ですが、 it was 'get the strappie thing' だと、お分かりだと思いますが、 it was (like) '(let's) get the strappie thing' あの時はもう、「strappie thingを手に入れようよ」って感じで、 そして、strappie thingですが、ネイテブは、-ingで終わる英単語を-ieまたは、-yとスラングにして書く事が往々にしてあります。 なので、もともとの文は、 it was (like) '(Let's) get the strapping thing' あの時はもう「革紐のやつ手に入れようよ」という感じで、 要するに、3つ目でもうその商品を買わないと無理と言う気になったのでしょうね!

charlie_rt
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。大変よくわかりました! strappieがストラップを指していることがわかっていたら こんなに悩まなかったのに・・ >ネイテブは、-ingで終わる英単語を-ieまたは、-yとスラングにして書く というご説明で、理由もよくわかりました。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

by the 3rd hevay walnut・・・ は”3番目の”と訳すのか”3番目に”と訳すべきか迷いますが、例えば、”3番目の”で訳すと、 【3番目のタンスを運ぶまでには、】 eとrはキイボードの隣合わせですので strappieはタイプミスでstrapper (紐で縛る道具)だと思うのですが、 紐で縛る奴( Shoulder Dolly system )を持って来い、この化け物(タンス)を運ぶぞ と言っていると思いす。

charlie_rt
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 strapper のことだったんですね。最初からそうしてくれたら 悩まなかったのに・・と思いました。。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

お訳しになった通りだと思います。 「はじめは新しい道具(お宅の製品のこと)に大きな抵抗があったが、重い胡桃材の箪笥も三つ目になると、”あの帯みたいなもの”(これショウルダードリーのことです)を買って来てこの野獣(胡桃材の箪笥のこと)を動かそう、ということになりました。」  と思います。

charlie_rt
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。strappieが何かわかりませんでした・・

関連するQ&A

• これを和訳出来ますか?

これを和訳出来る方いらっしゃいますか? 会話文の一節です。 I never asked the salary and I found at the end of the month when I got my first paycheck what I was earning I just knew it was the right thing to be doing.

• "the thing is" の意味

映画のセリフとして使われている表現で、分からないものがあります。 1,Today is kind of the biggest day of my life, and the thing is, I need you not to get him arrested. 2, But the thing is she wore the gloves all the time, so I just thought maybe she has a thing about dirt. 1は『塔の上のラプンツェル』で、宮殿の馬が泥棒のユージーンを連れていこうとする場面で、ラプンツェルが馬を説得するために言ったセリフです。 2は『アナと雪の女王』で、アナが会ったばかりの男性と結婚しようとしたことでエルサを怒らせてしまったことをクリストフに説明している場面で、この直前にクリストフが話を遮り、"You got engaged to someone you gust met!?"と言っています。 質問は、このどちらにも使われている "the thing is" がどういう意味で、どういうときに使われるのかということです。 恐らくそんなに意味のある言葉ではないと思うのですが、調べてもあまり納得できる解説がなかったので、教えていただきたいです。

• raring to go first thing

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年12月号Lesson18(1)のSalmansさんの台詞からです。 People are bright, cheerful and raring to go first thing in the morning.  raring to しきりに…したがっている この講座では初登場の”raring to do”だと思うのですが、Oxford Dictionaryで見ると1920年代に登場ですから、まあ、新顔の部類ですね。”rare”の現在分詞となっていますが、rareはadjectiveとなっています。 形容詞rareは、普通1.1の「まれな,珍しい,めったにない」として出てきます(除く、rare roast beef)が、raringになると積極的な意味になるのは、やはり、現在分詞をいう性格を表しているのでしょうか。 出典かと思われる文献を読んでいたら、次のような文が見つかりました。 the other raring to go first thing in the morning when you can barely mumble a coherent sentence [質問] パートナーが朝一番から元気を出している時に、多分、ベッドの中でぶつぶつ言っているのでしょうが、”can barely mumble a coherent sentence”の意味がよく分かりません。”can barely mumble”だと「ぶつぶつ文句さえ言えない」ということで、布団を頭から被っているということでしょうか?よく意味が分かりません。 [ご参考まで] Oxford Dictionaryより rare:1(of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often. ‘a rare genetic disorder’ with infinitive ‘it's rare to see a house so little altered’ 1.1 (of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value. ‘one of Britain's rarest birds, the honey buzzard’ 1.2 Unusually good or remarkable. ‘he plays with rare sensitivity’ raring:with infinitive Very enthusiastic and eager to do something. ‘she was raring to get back to her work’ ‘I'll be ready and raring to go’ Origin:1920s: present participle of rare, dialect variant of roar or rear [出典] https://books.google.co.jp/books?isbn=073821504X DIFFERENT SLEEP SCHEDULES. Night owls seem to marry early bird. You may find that you and your partner are on two totally different clocks, with one of you revving up just when the other is ready to head to bed and the other raring to go first thing in the morning when you can barely mumble a coherent sentence before 9:00 in the morning. ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 英語が得意な方 和訳を助けてください。

One thing that belonged to the pressing issues of Adenauer’s first cabinet was the accommodation and integration of the refugees and the people forced to leave the former German territories in the East as well as providing aid to the victims of the war.

• 和訳をお願いします。

Three battalions of the 1st South African Brigade were to attack Delville Wood, while the 1st Battalion continued as a reinforcement of the 26th and 27th brigades in Longueval. The attack at 5:00 p.m. was postponed to 7:00 p.m. and then to 5:00 a.m. on 15 July, due to the slow progress in Longueval. Brigadier-General Henry Lukin was ordered to take the wood at all costs and that his advance was to proceed, even if the 26th and 27th Brigades had not captured the north end of the village.

• 翻訳してください。

During my first space sleep, I discovered that my arms and legs moved automatically into a ''sleep position.'' Instead of hanging at my sides, as they would have on Earth, my arms drifted out in front of me, motionless, at about shoulder height. It was strange to open my eyes and see my arms dangling in front of my face.

• such thing / such a thing

NHK実践ビジネス英語2019年6月Lesson 6(2)のPat McMillanさんの台詞で, there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. という決まり文句clichéがでてきます。 この講座では、何度も出てくる定型表現ですが、 “no such thing”と表現されています。 Pat McMillan: You were lucky to have such a wise teacher, Steve. I'm very much of the same mind. Not being afraid to ask questions is a crucial part of the learning process. It may be a cliché, but there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. @ 2019年6月 L6(2) 一方、 “such a thing”と表現されるケースもあります。 Goto Yoko: Hey, Jack and Tony. Help me out here. Is there such a thing as umbrella etiquette here in America? @ 2010年11月L15(1) Umemura: I know there's such a thing as impulse buying. But I always try to keep a cool head and think logically about the pros and cons of a given product. @ 2013年2月L22(5) こうしてみると、否定形では、 “no such thing”で、そうでない場合は、 “such a thing”でしょうか? 最も、次のような変化球もあります。 McMillan: Very true. There's no longer such a thing as “off the record” in today's hyper-connected, hyper-transparent world. @ 2015年3月L24(3) このnoは、 “no longer”で、内容は否定的でも、構文としては、肯定文というとらえ方でいいのでしょうか? ついでながら、 “such things”という言い方も当然検索されます。 Lyonsさんの場合は、主節の “Their perspective on work and their consumer behavior”を受けており、Uedaさんの場合は、 “these kinds of personal questions at work or in social settings”を受けているためだと思いますが… Lyons: The coolest thing about that generation is how its members try to focus on value. Their perspective on work and their consumer behavior is based on how such things will add value to their lives and to society as a whole. And that’s a question that never goes out of date. @ 2014年6月L6(5) Ueda: That’s not something I have to worry about. I have a very modest lifestyle. But all this begs the question: what should I say if people ask me these kinds of personal questions at work or in social settings? I don’t want to seem rude, but I'm not usually comfortable talking about such things. @ 2017年11月L16(3) 今気が付いたのですが、副詞 “really”の位置は、一般動詞の前、助動詞およびbe動詞の後が一般的かと思っていました。しかし、Pat McMillanさんの台詞では、 there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. と “there really is”となっています。 調べてみると、次の例 “there certainly is”も見つかりました。 Lyons: Sure. But that could be because the Internet is a new medium, and people haven’t yet developed the critical skills needed to sort the wheat from the chaff on the Web. And there certainly is an awful lot of chaff out there in cyberspace. @ 2015年1月L20(4) “there is”構文では、be動詞の前に副詞が入るんですね。

• 和訳をお願いします。

Meanwhile, the 3rd Light Horse Brigade at Ballybunion was directed to move forward to Hill 70 and send one regiment to Dueidar, while the Mobile Column was ordered by GHQ to march towards Mageibra. The German, Austrian and Ottoman attack on Mount Royston was checked to the north by the 3rd and 6th Light Horse Regiments (1st and 2nd Light Horse Brigades), and under constant bombardment from the horse artillery and the infantry's heavy artillery of the 52nd (Lowland) Division.

• Another thing were …

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年10月号Lesson 13(2)のUedaさんの台詞です。 Another thing that seemed quite reasonable and economical were the cuts of meat labeled “odds and ends.”  odds and ends 半端物、がらくた 主語はAnother thingと単数形で、動詞はwereと複数形だと思いますが、違うのですか?主格補語がthe cuts of meatと複数形のため動詞が複数形になるのでしょうか? Ueda: Another thing that seemed quite reasonable and economical were the cuts of meat labeled “odds and ends.” @ 2017年10月L13(2) P.S. I apologize the abrupt breaking out of this session last month. The thing is a ridiculous warning interfered with my posting questions. I wish your generosities allow me to try on again with moderate intervals. ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• one thing とは?

下記の英文の意味を教えて下さい。 It was one thing not to know one's longitude while travelling on land; not being able to calculate longitude at sea meant that navigators were sailing without knowing how far east or west they were from land. 自分でも↓のように訳してみましたが、いまひとつわかりませんでした。 「陸地で移動する間、経度がわからないことは一つのことだ。海上で経度を計算できないということは、ナビゲーターが自分たちが陸地から東西にどれほど離れているかわからずに航海しているということを意味する」 A is one thing; B is another. 「AとBは別々のものだ」と関係あるかなと思いましたが、肝心の another がなく。。。最初のone thing もどういう意味かわからず(^-^; お手数かけますが、ご教授頂けましたら幸いです。宜しくお願い致します。