• ベストアンサー

英語でエッセイを書いてみたんですが・・・

1000文字程度(全然足りていないのですが)のエッセイ の課題課題が出て一応は取り組んでみて提出したのですが。 翌日に先生から返却される際、後で話があるといわれました・・ そして授業後に話してみると、ひどい英文、文法がダメなど ボロボロに言われてしまいいました。 そこで手直しをしてみようとしたのですが、どこの文法が ダメなのか分らないし、文章の構成もすべて注意されてしまった ので英語がとことん苦手な私にはどうすればよいか分りません。 そのため、下手でどうしようもない英文の明らかに誤っている 文法。また、こうしたほうがもっと良くなるなどのアドバイス を頂けないでしょうか。本当によろしくお願いします。 (文字制限によりIntroductionとconcludionは削っています。)       People Need Reading  The first reason to support is you can learn many words by reading. You sometimes find incomprehensible word when you are reading. At such time, if you look up words in a dictionary and examine the words of meaning, you can know and learn many words. Moreover, the increase of vocabulary leads to the increase in the thought because thinking is an act of doing by using words. When thinking alone, act of thinking used by generally using words so the idea cannot help coarsening naturally if the vocabulary power is scarce. In brief, the richness of vocabulary supports your thought. In addition, the kind of colloquial expression was limited. Only if you spend a daily life, you do not need to use a difficult word. However, if it thinks only using by the spoken language in the daily life, your thought becomes simple by all means. If the expressed word is simple, the content of ideas becomes simple too. In contrast, feelings and thinking are become complex if you knowing many words. In the written language, there is a variation without in the spoken language. In a word, reading is the best possible method to know many words.  A second reason to support is the great deal of knowledge can be acquired by reading. A lot of things that I have not known up to now are written in books and I am impressed every time obtained the new knowledge. For instance, people learn a new matter by reading newspaper and journal. For one thing, you can know about the place where you have not gone if you read about the place such as preparation of the school excursion when you were such a student. Furthermore, the ability for communication improves when knowledge increases, because you show provided got the new knowledge for friends and it can share with each other. In addition, generally speaking people want to know it more deeply by getting new knowledge. Reading books broadens your knowledge and allows you to encounter things of great beauty more frequently, thereby making you a different person from who you were before starting to read books. In other words it is the best means to read the book to get a new knowledge.  The final reason to support people can know what the happiness at private time. Quiet time of one is develops the person. Of course, you can develop your personality throughout pleasant communication with people, but it is also necessary for personality development to have a quiet alone time to reflect on yourself. Happy in vague time while listening to music alone but then reading accompanies a constant mental tension. At the same time this moderate tension gives birth to the sense of fulfillment. Moreover, reading is not by oneself it looks like oneself though because it is time of two people with the author. Next, there is no pressure because the author is not before your eyes but book tell you deeply and quietly. Besides time to taste on one’s own that superior person chose the word. So the person grows up more by spending this time. In fact the person of the bookworm knows the richness of this time to read alone.  

• tano5
  • お礼率78% (72/92)
  • 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数7

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

No 1, No 2に追加です。 今、ReadingとImportanceをキーワードで検索しましたら、たくさんのサイトがありました。学術文献でなくても、このようなものをさらっと読んで見られるものも役立つんじゃないでしょうか。 No 1で単語の選択について申し上げましたが、単語だけでなく、いろいろな表現も覚えられるといいでしょう。tano5さんの専門分野が何か知りませんが、小説や詩などの文学的な文章だと、高度だったり、幅広い多くの表現が要求されると思いますが、一般的な論文では、基本的には専門用語と論文に必要かつふさわしい表現がわかっていれば、それで何とかなるでしょう。ohioan4506さんがおっしゃっているように、同じ表現を繰り返すのは避けた方が良いですが、それは日本語でも同じでしょう。 以前、誰かが言っていたのですが、その人は留学先で、英語の勉強の一環で、恩師の文献を書経したそうです。tano5さんも先生に何か参考になるような、ネイティブが書いた小論文を紹介してもらって、それを写してみられたらどうでしょう? 私がアメリカの大学に留学したときは、いわゆる外国人向けに論文の書き方のコースがありましたし、英国の大学院では、先生が私たち学生(含.ネイティブスピーカー)に、論文でよく使う表現を簡単なリストにしてくれました。A4一枚の簡単なリストでしたが、表現だけでなく、どうのように論文のロジックを進めていくかも考えるヒントになりました。因みにアメリカでも英国でも小さいときから学校のプロジェクトで、歳相応レベルで、レポートをまとめることをしてきています。それが、高度になってくると、大学や大学院レベルの論文になっていくのでしょう。ここで言いたいのは、何かしらの論文の書き方のトレーニングを受けていなくて、いきなりちゃんとした論文を書けと言われても、それは難しいことで、それなりに準備が必要だと言うことです。ですから、ここで落ち込まないで、英語の語彙、表現力、文法、考え方/論文の書き方の勉強を続けてくださいね。

tano5
質問者

お礼

本当にありがとうございます・・・(;O;)!! さっそく!、ReadingとImportanceで検索をかけてみたいと 思います!!なんと申し上げれば良いのかわかりません、 とにかくmumintrollさん本当にありがとうございます!!!

その他の回答 (4)

• suikaemon
  • ベストアンサー率47% (9/19)
回答No.5

きりがないのでいくつか選びました。 < First Paragraph> 内容:内容というより言い方が断定的すぎるんじゃないかな。 If you do not have a lot of vocabulary, your thinking may/tends to become simple. のようにmayとかtend toとか使った方が無難だと思う。How do you know that? Based on what research studies? ってつっこまれそう。 文法、語彙 You sometimes find incomprehensible word when you are reading. -> words(複数形) 単数複数を気をつけて。 the words of meaning -> 意味の言葉? 逆だよね。 When thinking alone, act of thinking used by generally using words so the idea cannot help coarsening naturally if the vocabulary power is scarce. ->ここはまずいね。With a limited amount of vocabulary, you cannot think deeply. といいたいのかな? However, if it thinks only using by the spoken language in the daily life -> …if you use only the spoken languageといいたいのかな?少なくともif it thinksはよくわからないよね。 feelings and thinking are become complex if you knowing many words. -> “are become”はダメだよね。それから”if you knowing”は動詞がないね。 <Second Paragraph> A second reason-> The second reason 他にも、First(ly), Second(ly), Finallyという書き方もあるよ。 For one thing, you can know about the place where you have not gone -> For one thing, you can learn about places where you have never been before. “know”のかわりに”learn”を使った方がいいところがいくつかあったからちょっと考えてみて。 because you show provided got the new knowledge for friends and it can share with each other. ->わからん…because you sometimes gain knowledge from your friends.もしくは …because you can exchange information with your friends. といいたいのかな? In addition, generally speaking people want to know it more deeply by getting new knowledge. ->このitは何をさすの? <Third Paragraph> Happy in vague time while listening to music alone but then reading accompanies a constant mental tension. ->わからん… Besides time to taste on one’s own that superior person chose the word. -> superior personって誰? In fact the person of the bookworm knows -> In fact, only bookworms know Bookwormで人ってわかるからpersonいらない。 難しいことを細かく言おうとしない方がいいよね。無理だろうし。できるだけ簡単な英語でわかりやすく説明する練習から始めた方がいいかな。

tano5
質問者

お礼

こまかく添削ほんとうに、ありがとうございます。 どうにかして英語ができるようになりたいです。 本当にありがとうございました。

回答No.3

こんにちは。その英語の先生がどのぐらいのレベルを求めているのかにもよりますが、英文のエッセイに慣れない間は、日本語の直訳だけでなく、日本語の思考から書いてしまうもので、私が大学時代、アメリカの大学院に留学経験のある先生の授業で、学生みんな、エッセイが真っ赤に直されて返ってきたものでした。「日本語の起承転結の書き方ではだめだ」と口をすっぱく言われた思い出があります。  それは後に私自身もアメリカの大学院に留学してわかりましたが、莫大な文献を読む時間がなくて全部読めない時には、段落の最初を見ていけばいい、といわれていました。確かに文全体を読まなくても、極端なことを言えば、その一文に段落の言いたいことが集約してあります。  それで、この全部の文章を直していくのは限りがあるので、第一段落だけを取り上げると、最初の文で示された理由から、どんどん話が広がっていっています。最初の文はその段落のまとめが書かれていればいいので、最後に書いてある「表現力が豊かになる」という文も入れます。  もっと上手な方が書き込まれるまでのつなぎとして、このような簡単な書き出しを書いてみました。 The first reason I support this opinion is that the more words you learn in books, the more various ways of expressing your thinking and feelings you could have. When you read books, you will find words you do not know, and look them up in a dictionary. As you read more books, you will learn more words. This could lead you to use more words to express your thinking. ・・・第一段落の残りは、語彙力が増えるとどのように表現できるのか、少ないと表現がどうなるのか、といった例をすでに挙げているので、そういうのを加えたらどうかと思います。  また、段落の最初で、第二に、第三という言い方でなく、Another reason, The last reason, The other reasonという言い方にする、という方法もありますが、段落を変えている、ということはその分だけ理由がある、ということなので、理由となる文章を書くだけでもいいかもしれません。それと、reasonの後にto support と同じ単語が使われていますが、同じ単語を繰り返さない、というのも書き方の一つです。英文を目にしていくと、それこそ表現力が豊かになります。頑張ってくださいね。

tano5
質問者

お礼

すごいです!! 丁寧でわかりやすいアドバイス、本当に感謝いたします。 ohioan4506のおっしゃる点を踏まえさせていただき、 エッセイを書きたいと思います。 本当にありがとうございました!!!

回答No.2

先程の回答に補足ですが、 英文をたくさん読むと言っても、できることに限りがあると思います。 ご自分の専門分野で興味を持たれた英語の文献から読み出されると良いと思います。そうすれば、頻繁に使われる専門用語や論文での言い回しなど、自然と覚えられると思います。 また、あくまでもたくさんある本の中の一例ですが、論文の構成(含.考え方)でしたら、以下のような本を参考にされてみるのはどうでしょう。因みに、これは英国系です。 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Essay-Writing-association-University/dp/1412920116/ref=ed_oe_p 予断ですが、先生は日本人ですか?何人であってもですが、先生が英語のネイティブでなければ、アメリカ英語かイギリス英語か、それともその他の英語に通じた先生かによっても、多少コメントが違ってくるかな、と思います。このようなことは一番大事なことではないかもしれませんが、英語の先生の選択時などでも、この点も考慮されるといいかもしれません。

tano5
質問者

お礼

補足回答ありがとうございます!! ちなみに先生は50代くらいのおばさんです・・・ これからの授業選択時ではmumintrollさん のおっしゃる点を考慮したいと思います。 丁寧に回答本当にありがとうございました。 紹介してくださった本の購入も考えてみます。

回答No.1

具体的な回答になっていませんが、文法だけではなく、単語の選択から不適当と思われるところも何点かあります。 このようなネットで詳細まで説明しきれませんので、数回でも、日本語が話せる英語の先生(注意.単なるネイティブスピーカーではなく、ちゃんとした先生)について勉強されることをお勧めします。 また、英語の論文を書くことを上達させるには、たくさん英文を読まれることが役立ちますよ。 がんばってください。

tano5
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます!! mumintrollさんおっしゃるとうり、 たくさんの英文を読みたいと思います。 本当にありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語のエッセイで困っています。

このようなエッセイを大学の課題で作成しました。内容はともかく、文法の間違い、意味が通じない等ございましたら、訂正、指摘お願いいたします。 The fragrance of the trees evokes hometown. I come back hometown once a year. There are some differences between hometown I used to live in and the city I live in now, for example, population, air, scene, and so on. There is something the most different between the two. It is the fragrance. Fragrance is closely connected with memory. This fact was discovered in the past. It is called "Involuntary memory". It is a conception of human memory in which cues encountered in life evoke recollections of the past without conscious effort. Involuntary memory is a concept made famous by the writer Marcel Proust in his novel "In Serch of Lost Time", although the idea was also developed in his earlier writings. In this connection, It is called " Proust effect", too. For example, when you feel the fragrance of a detergent, you probably remember that you had a good time with your mother. Even if I live separated from my hometown, when I feel the fragrance of the trees from my desk or my pencil around me, the fragrance calls up the memory of hometown. I enjoy my reminiscences of childhood. There are many memories. The impression I got from that occasion remains vivid. Tears come to my eyes when I think of those days. I neglected my studies and spends my time having fun. The scent of the trees wafted itself around the playground every day. By the way, in the city, is there no scent which recalls past life? Of course, I can feel much fragrance there. However, the fragrance in the city, for instance, exhaust gas or concrete, don't make a vivid impression on me. The fragrance in the country seems to be more deeply impressed on me rather than that in the city. Furthermore, in my opinion, The fragrance in hometown is the scent which I sniffed in childhood. In short,that is the first experience. So this scense seemes to be deeply engraved on my mind for a long time. Thus, the fragrance of the trees evokes my life in childhood. It is very happy to remember the memories in hometown. Recently,however, the trees are leveled to make way for the land development in hometown. So when I came back to hometown before, the scent of the trees is almost disappeared. And playground changed into a residential area five years ago. Mountains which I would often climb in summer vacation are likely to be destroyed to build a golf course. "What fragrance evoke your hometown ?" Maybe you don't know how to reply when asked something like that out of the blue. I think it is natural. But someone who is alive 100 years later may answer like this. "The fragrance of the concrete and plastic"

• 英語

Convenience store is very convenient for people. First of all, people can shop anytime. Moreover, it is possible to use ATM and courier service, to buy the ticket of the movie and so on, to pay the public utility rate etc. Therefore, it plays the roles of bank, post office, and ticket shop. Last, as many as 13000 women take refuge in convenience store at midnight in a year. この文に文法上の間違いがあれば教えてください。冠詞がいまいち自信がないです。解る方、よろしくお願いします。

• 英語を訳していただきたいです。

ある長文の中である五つの例文を訳していただきたいです。 1.But one is the richer in true and useful wisdom, the more one reads. 2.There are so many good books in the world that it is foolish to waste time on one that does not give you pleasure and profit (unless reading it is a requirement to pass an examination, or something like that). 3.However, if you find yourself bored by a book that many well-informed people regard as important and readable, be fair with yourself and confess that perhaps the shortcoming is not in the book but in you. 4.A book which now seems dull or difficult will prove easy to grasp and fascinating to read when you are more mature intellectually. 5.They lack the background and the maturity of mind necessary to meet the author of the book on his own intellectual level. 長ったらしいですが、分かる方は教えていただきたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の訳おねがいします

訳おねがいします The chief attraction slang has for people is novelty. It is fun to hear an idea phrased in a new, unusual way. But after hundreds of repetitions, the novelty wears off: the slang loses freshness and sparkle. The history of most slang expressions is that die an early death. (A)That is one reason why slang is often ineffective in speach and inappropriate in writing that is meant to last for some time. Then, too, a great many siang expressions are so general that they hardly have any meaning at all beyond a vague indication of approval or disapproval. Using such words adds no more to your speech or writing than dose calling everything you like "wonderful" and everything you dislike "awful". Words like "dreamy" and "crummy'' are slang of this kind and add little to style or meaning. Slang should be used with caution. A safe prescription is this: in conversation with friends, use it, but in small doses. Use it even less frequently in informal writing, making sure that what you use is appropriate to the subject and will not annoy readers. Never use it in formal speech or writing. If you read a great deal and listen with interest to the speech of people who use language well, you will gradually develop a reliable judgment about the appropriateness of slang. Then, when you feel sure a slang expression is effective, you will probably be right. (A)thatが何を指しているのかもお願いします。

• 英語の訳を教えてください。

訳を教えてください! "As no human tongue can speak and no human ear can hear" The three rabbinic passages quoted in this chapter call to our attention the f act tha t the revelation of the "Words" did not happen by means of ordinary words that were spoken or could be heard. This fact is emphasized in the verse that follows the "proclamation" of the Ten Words (Exod 20:18) where the Hebrew reads, "And all the people saw the voices". All of this implies that any attempt to explain the depth of that revelation in human language is bound to fail.

• 英語の長文の訳について質問です。

英語の訳なのですが、前回の質問に引き続き、分からない部分を書き出しているので分かりにくいと思いますがよろしくお願いします。 It is our intention to operate and maintain the community in which you now live as one of the outstanding communities in the Brownsville area. We hope it will be an aid to you in enjoying your new home. There us a limit on the number of people allowed to occupy your home. A limited number of guests mat stay with you for three days. After three days, we may assume they are resudents. If you find a need to have more peole living in your home than allowed by your lease, contact the manager to see if it can be allowed. Having more people than allowed is a violation of your rental agreement. You may incur additional charges and/or have your rental agreement terminated.

• 和訳希望

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 3つの段落になっています。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Neptune is the planet of mystery and illusions. He represents not so much love but the dream of love. The things we glamorize or romanticize in our life. It is time now to end the reading and to close the curtains across the nights mysterious sky, draw the blind once again on the future. I can if you wish tell you more about your future soul mate. Soul mate three is available and highly recommended. Soul Mate Three and Soul Mate Four are the remaining chapters in the series of Soul Mate readings. Soul mate three is a long volume like this reading. It will add the finishing detail to the picture portrait. And tell you of his hobbies and interests. It will tell you, what you can expect of his of his health prospect. It will tell you of your courtship together, and touches on details not covered in this reading.

• 英語の問題を教えてください!

次の英文の( )の中に合う英語を選ぶ問題です。 Coffee is one of the world's most popular drinks, but what is the best way to enjoy it? If you ask 100 different people, you are likely to (A) 100 different responses. From sweet to bitte, from hot to cold, there are endless combinations and possibilities. Most coffee lovers (B) that if you're going to drink it hot. the best way to prepare it is in a French Press. Unlike drip coffee, a French Press allows the coffee to soak for a period of time, thereby releasing much more of the natural flavor (C) in coffee. By the way, do you know that instant coffee was invented by a Japanese man named Satori Kato? (D) (A) 1.be getting 2.be got 3.get 4.got (B) 1.are convinced 2.are convincing 3.convince 4.will convince (C) 1.find 2.found 3.founded 4.founding (D) 1.Maybe that is why Japanese people prefer instant coffee to drip coffee. 2.Because Japanese people drink tea everyday. 3.Actually, regular drip coffee is less expensive than instant coffee. 4.That is the reason why French people prefer tea to coffee. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文エッセイ

こんにちわ。アメリカの語学学校に通う17歳です。 金曜日にエッセイ提出で、一応自分で書いてみたのですが、 中卒なのでライティングにあまり自信がありません。 英語に詳しい方、ご指摘ください。 以下が私が書いた文章です。よろしくお願いします。      In some countries, most notably in Asia, there is a high degree of loyalty to one company. However, in most European countries and the United States, loyalty to one’s employer is not highly valued; instead it is considered more rational and reasonable for an employee to change jobs whenever it is warranted to achieve the optimal overall career. Both of these positions have advantages and disadvantages.      In cultures that value loyalty to the employer, a kind of family relationship seems to develop between employer and employee. It is a reciprocal arrangement which the employer is concerned with assisting the employee to develop to his/her full potential and the employee is concerned about optimizing the welfare of the company. The negative aspect to absolute loyalty to one company is that an employee may stay in one job that he/she has outgrows and may miss out on opportunities to develop in new directions. From the employer’s point of view, the employee may be burdened with employees whose skills no longer match the needs of the company.      In cultures in which it is quite acceptable to change jobs every few years, employees can build the career they choose for themselves. They can stay with one company as long as it is mutually beneficial to company and employee. As long as good relationship exists and the employee’s career is advancing at an acceptable pace, the employee can remain with a company. But at any time the employee is free to move to another company, perhaps to achieve a higher position, to move into a new area, or to find a work situation that is more suitable to his/her personality. The disadvantage of this situation is employees tend to move around a lot.      Although both these systems have advantages and disadvantages, it is much better for employees have the opportunity to move from job to one another if it is necessary to have a better career.

• この英語を訳していただきたいです

(1)Victorian, by the sea. Where we are is private, but you can get into town. (2)I like that you can modernize the inside but let the bones remain. I think the Victorians got in right in the generosity of the rooms and the windows. (3)It was very stimulating, really, because he was shooting with a handheld camera over his shoulder, so he would talk to you and then go back in. Everything that Jamie and I went though, Sean was right there behind us, even for the battle at the end of the movie in the crypt. There was a sense that we were all in it together. (4)He wrote the movie, directed it, shot it, and was all over everything from costume to hair to makeup. You feel safe as an actor. And, as an actor, if you can’t feel safe, you can’t make a fool of yourself. (5)I’d been there once before in my foolish, misspent youth and drank a lot of beer. But when you’re working on a film as immersive as this, you kind of have to cancel reality.