• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:分詞構文元は?:Pride held her erect, inheriting, handing on, acquainted with discipline)

Pride held her erect, inheriting, handing on, acquainted with discipline

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Virginia Woolf's novel 'Mrs Dalloway in Bond Street' explores the theme of pride and its impact on the protagonist's life.
  • The protagonist's pride is portrayed as a source of strength and resilience, passed down through generations and shaped by discipline and suffering.
  • This use of participle phrases showcases Woolf's mastery of language and her ability to capture the complexity of human emotions.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

前後関係が難解ですが、分詞構文を節に直すとすれば下記のようになるのではなかろうかと思います: Pride held her erect, as she inherited, handed on, and was acquainted with discipline and with suffering. つまり acquainted の部分だけを完了形にする理由は見いだせないと思うのですが...

zatousan
質問者

お礼

大達人、早速の御回答ありがとうございます。 >つまり acquainted の部分だけを完了形にする理由は見いだせないと思うのですが... おっしゃる通りで、、、、。 なんで完了形にしちゃったのかな、、。 改めて、御回答に御礼申し上げます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 教えて下さい。

訳を教えて下さい。 At the end of the race, she looked over to the crowd. Then she jogged to her friend who was holding the flag high. He handed it to her and she ran with it over her shoulders like a cape. She ran 50m holding that flag.This was a declaration of her pride, and of her love for herself and her people. 訳:レースが終わって彼女は観衆の方を見渡した。その時、彼女は国旗を高く持つ友人のとこへゆっくり走った。彼は…。彼女は国旗を握って50m走った。これは彼女の誇りでもある宣言で…。 特にHe handed it to her and she ran with it over her shoulders like a cape. とThis was a declaration of her pride, and of her love for herself and her people.の訳し方が分からないので教えて下さい。お願いします。

• 分詞構文

難民問題に取り組んだ高等弁務官Aへのインタビューです。 冷戦の終結後、強国が他国への干渉を避けるようになったことに続けて、インタビュアーがたずねます。 Interviewer: Along with this reluctance, expectations about what your office should do have increased, haven't they? A: There is reluctance, but there is also pressure. Before the television age, nobody really knew much of the human suffering. But now, these tragedies appear on our television screens and governments know there is something they have to do. Interviewer: So as you do your work, people see starving children or victims of war on TV. But on the other hand, leaders of powerful countries are still reluctant to give what is needed to resolve the situation. A: That's right. They don't want to put the lives of their own people in danger. Interviewer: Part of your job is to persuade countries to accept refugees fleeing from their own countries. A: Yes, and 【having made sure the borders are open】, we have to establish safety and bring in the necessary relief materials. But I would like to emphasize that it is not just the matter of giving food and money to refugees. You have to ensure their safety; that is the most important part of protection work. 2点教えていただきたいです。 (1)【 】部分の模範訳が 『国境が開かれるように保証するために』となっています。(解説はありません) 模範訳だと確かに前後とつながるんですが 分詞構文だと思っていたので なにか納得できません。 どう考えればいいでしょうか。 (2)完了形になっているのはなぜでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• called her out on it

I've been with "Betty" for 20 years. Last week, a repairman came to fix the phone line. On his way out, Betty followed him and said in a sexy voice, "I like bald-headed men. You come back." Betty didn't know I overheard what she said until I walked in after she had picked up the phone to call her girlfriend. She then told the woman that it probably hurt my feelings. She's right. It hurt my feelings and made me realize she really didn't care one whit about me. When I called her out on it, she claimed she was just being friendly. called her out on itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 独立分詞構文?それとも二つに区切るべき文をコンマでつなげた文?懸垂分詞?文学的文法無視表現?

あけましておめでとうございます。旧年中は大変お世話になりました。今年もどうぞよろしくお願い申し上げます。 さて、現在Colleen McCullough著のANTHONY AND CLEOPATRAを読んでいます。 この小説に限ったことではなく、洋書では良く見かける、「分詞構文で、主語が入れ替わる文であり、独立分詞構文だったとしても分詞の意味上の主語を分詞の前に置かれていない文。」は、文法的にどう解釈すべきなのでしょうか? タイトルの通りどう解釈すべきか迷っています。 ~~~~上記の本より一例~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chin on her hand, Cleopatra watched Caesarion as he bent over his wax tablets, Sosigenes at his right hand, supervising. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ このように明らかに、supervisingの意味上の主語は「Cleopatraではなく、Sosigenes」と分かる文ですが、文法的解釈がタイトルの4つの内もしくはそれ以外なのか分かりません。 テンポは、悪くなり、、、小説の文としての価値は下がりますが、 Chin on her hand, Cleopatra watched Caesarion as he bent over his wax tablets. Sosigenes at his right hand, supervising. だったら、何の問題もないのですが。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 祈りのポーズ

よく、教会の十字架の前で人がお祈りをしているポーズがあります。指が交互になるように胸の前で手を組み、ひざまずいているポーズですが、付帯状況のwithを使って言うとどうなるでしょうか。She is praying with her hands ???? in front of her breast and with her knees on the floor. どうも、英語になりません。

• この英文は日本語で何と訳せばいいでしょうか?

She was a great globe-trotter, and her conversations were incongruously seasoned with references to far-fetched places. She would go along for days without opening her mouth, prowling through the corridor with her hands in the pockets of her jacket and her face locked in meditation. Then suddenly she would buttonhole Mr.Brook and launch out on a long, volatile monologue, her eyes reckless and bright and her voice warm with eagerness. 長くてすみません(/_;) 自分だとどうしても自然な日本語にできなくて・・・ 英語に堪能な方よろしくお願いいたします(>_<)

• 分詞構文に似たwithの事

with her husband in support “夫が援助してくれる” とあるのですが、 her husband being in supportという分詞構文で同じ意味になるでしょうか?be in supportで援助するという意味でしょうか? 以上です。すみませんが、ご指導頂けると嬉しいです。 お願いします。

• 英文についての質問です。

Despite his fame and influence, Pablo Picasso's stature as a genius is still debated, for example, as is that of Virginia Woolf in literature. In science, Stephen Hawking, although often regarded by the general public as a contemporary genius comparable with Einstein, is not accepted as such by the physicists who fully understand his work; they regard Hawking as only one of several current luminaries in the field of cosmology. as is that of Virginia Woolf in literatureのthatは何を指しているのでしょうか? stature as a genius ですか? as only one of several current luminaries in the field of cosmologyのonly oneの個所は"only one"で"唯一の"の意味よりもonlyは"~に過ぎない"の意味にとって"~の一人に過ぎない"となるのでしょうか?

• 省略されている部分を教えて欲しい

I wished to surprise her that evening with the money,and then to take her downtown on a street car. この文章中の「and then to take」の部分ですが、toの前に省略されているのは「I wished」でいいでしょうか?

• get out of work

My boyfriend and I have been together for 6½ years. He went on vacation a few months ago without me (I could not get out of work), and he met a woman on the plane ride there. She is his age, had similar interests, and loves beer. He gave her his number with the intent of possibly setting her up with our mutual friend whom he was visiting on vacation. get out of workとsetting her up withの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします