• ベストアンサー

「まし」はどう訳す?

英作文の添削をお願いします。 “日本人の場合は、英語教育のやり方のまずさと、日常で必要に迫られないという環境から、英語の「練習」の絶対量が不足していると思います。「文字ばかり意識する」のは、したくてそうしているのではなく、また特に英語を読むことに長けているわけでもなく、その他の、聞く・話す・書くよりも「まし」だから、単にそうならざるを得ないような気がします。” I suppose that, as for the Japanese, they don't have enough excercise for English because of the wrong method of English education as well as the circumstance where English isn't indispensable for their daily life. In my opinion, it's not because they want so nor because they are ecpecially competent to read English that they are exclusively careful of the letters. At least their reading ability is "better" than the others such as listning,speaking, and writing, so that they are just obliged to do so. 特に、「まし」の訳し方ですが、"better"では「まし」のニュアンスが表しきれていません。どうしたら、そのニュアンスを出せるでしょうか?

noname#97496
noname#97496
  • 英語
  • 回答数14
  • ありがとう数17

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.7

日本人は、英語の文章はある程度読めるが、しゃべれないし、書けないし、聞けないということに対して意見を求められているのだと思います。とりあえず”exclusively careful of the letters”は単純に”Reading”のことだと思いました。文法や単語に対してだけ気にするということだと思いますが、とりあえずそこは変えないで、元の文章の表現を多く残して書いてみました。(一部ですが。) In my opinion, they are exclusively careful of the letters not because they want do so or they are good at reading English. Only because they can read better than the others such as listning, speaking, and writing, they have no choice but to do so. 一つの参考になればいいなと思います。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (13)

• duosonic
  • ベストアンサー率51% (585/1140)
回答No.14

もったいないご褒賞、心が痛みます。日本語も英語も両方得意になれるよう、日夜努力しております。 それで、ご質問文には「まし」とありますが、「ずっとまし」に書き換えるということなのでしょうか?  或いは思いつきで聞かれたのでしょうか? not considerably but relatively better 、、、remarkably、comparatively、somewhat、more or less、to some extent などを組み合わせれば、きっとお考えの「ずっとまし」のニュアンスが出せるのではないかと思いますので、是非お試し下さい。お邪魔いたしました。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

>或いは思いつきで聞かれたのでしょうか? 思い付きです。つまり、AはBよりましだ、と言った場合、AとBの差が小さいというよりは、Aだってもともとそんなによいものではないと感じました。

• duosonic
  • ベストアンサー率51% (585/1140)
回答No.13

そうすると、そもそもご質問された「ずっとまし」ってどういう意味なのでしょう?  「ずっとまし」とは「これら他のものに比べて、断然良い」ということ、すなわち better ~ by far とは違うのでしょうか?  日本語であっても「ずっと」は「かろうじて、僅差で」とは一緒には使えないと思いますが?

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

再回答ありがとうございます。 >そうすると、そもそもご質問された「ずっとまし」ってどういう意味なのでしょう?  「ずっとまし」とは「これら他のものに比べて、断然良い」ということ、すなわち better ~ by far とは違うのでしょうか?   duosonicさんは日本語よりも英語が得意のようですね。 If you say in Japanese “AはBよりもずっとましだ。”, A is not so good or rather bad, nevertheless A is much better than B.

• duosonic
  • ベストアンサー率51% (585/1140)
回答No.12

duosonic です。 お礼欄、拝読しました。 >>それじゃ、「ずっとまし」というのはどのように表現したらいいでしょうか? >~ ability in reading is (considered to be) better than listening, speaking and writing by far ~ 、、、でしょうか。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

再度回答ありがとうございます。 でも、そうすると「まし」のネガティブなニュアンスが表せませんね。

• duosonic
  • ベストアンサー率51% (585/1140)
回答No.11

こんにちは。 添削は先行ご回答者がやっておられるようなので割愛しますが、原邦文で謳っているのはその通りだと思いますよ。 さて、ヒントだけですが「マシ」のニュアンスを出す表現として、シンプルにこんなのはどうでしょう?: ~ ability in reading is (considered to be) narrowly better than listening, speaking and writing ~ 、、、「narrowly ⇒ 僅差で、かろうじて」ですから、better とのコンボで「ドングリの背比べだが、幾分マシな程度」という意味で使えるハズです。 或いは acceptable も単独で「ギリギリ間に合う、どうにかやっと合格」という意味を持たせられます: ・My score was just acceptable and nothing to be proud of. 、、、ただ: ・We are glad such an acceptable applicant came to our company. 、、、「相応しい ⇒ 充分満足できるレベル」という意味にもなり得るようなので、使い方は難しいかも知れませんね。是非調べてみて下さい。 また barely (かろうじて)を使うのも良いでしょう。「(ほとんど使い物にならないが)~に比べればマシ、毛が生えた程度」というニュアンスが出せると思いますよ。または「マシ」の度合いに応じて somewhat (幾分、やや)でもイケると考えます。 ご参考までに。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 なるほど、narrowlyや barelyでニュアンスを表しましたか? それじゃ、「ずっとまし」というのはどのように表現したらいいでしょうか?

• rimini
  • ベストアンサー率50% (34/67)
回答No.10

Most Japanese simply lack opportunity to practice English in my opinion. For one thing there is no real need to use English in their country and for another thing the English education in schools hasn’t paid enough attention in that respect. They seem to focus on reading skills when learning English, simply because other skills such as listening, speaking or writing are too poor to build on and not because they are good and eager readers. 少しラディカルな試訳ですし、ひょっとしたら冠詞等細かいミスがあるかもしれませんが、ひとつの参考にしてみてください。 英訳する場合、日本語の少しくどいところは一言の形容詞や名詞にまとめてみるのもひとつの方法です。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。なかなか上手な訳し方ですね。

回答No.9

いやあ、面白いです。マジで。 "no worse than" だったら高いレベルでイコール(書いたり聴いたり話したりのレベルと同様に読むレベルも高い)を意味することになるので、どなたかが提案していらした "not worse than" はアリかと思いますね。"better than expected" で行こうかなとも思ったんですが、"思ったよりはマシ" なので・・・ただ、ググると"less worse"も出てきます。 さて、冠詞の使い方ですが、the Japanese は "The cat is a mammal" とか、"The Japanese people forever renounce war"と同様、総称のthe になります。「両親が日本人だが、英語圏で生まれ育って英語の教育を受け、英語のネイティブ話者である日本国民」はこの文に書かれていることにはあてはまりません。あと、"the wrong method" "the circumstance" "the letters" の the はいずれも「定冠詞は既存のインスタンスへのポインタである(≒前もって定義されたデータを参照する時に使う)」という原則に違反します。従って間違いです。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

再度回答ありがとうございます。 >「両親が日本人だが、英語圏で生まれ育って英語の教育を受け、英語のネイティブ話者である日本国民」はこの文に書かれていることにはあてはまりません。 これはレアケースなので除外して考えていいかと思います。 >あと、"the wrong method" "the circumstance" "the letters" の the はいずれも「定冠詞は既存のインスタンスへのポインタである(≒前もって定義されたデータを参照する時に使う)」という原則に違反します。従って間違いです。 もっと分かりやすく説明して頂けませんか? "the wrong method" にしろ "the circumstance" にしろ、未知の情報ではなくて、「皆さんご存じの」というニュアンスを込めていますので、ここでは youngeel01さんの原則は当てはまらないと思いますが、どうでしょう?

noname#181603
noname#181603
回答No.8

4番ですが、念のため補足しておきます。 >また、“because it is the only way we have been taught in English classes”の部分は原文と意味が微妙にズレていないでしょうか? 微妙にズレているどころか、後半はついつい自分の意見になってました。失礼。

• googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.6

大変「challenging」な英作文で、よく書けている部分もあると思いますが、少し表現方法を変えた方が良い部分もありそうです。  また、同じような内容でも英語に訳すときにはいろいろな表し方があると思いますので、私なりに英訳を考えてみました。  まず「I suppose」は自信のないときに用いる言い方です。それでも良いのですが「I think」や「I believe」の方が言いたいことが相手により伝わるでしょう。  「as for ...」は別のものとの対比をするときの表現です。この英文の前に「日本人以外」のことについて述べているのであれば構いませんが、そうでなければ不自然な感じを与える恐れがあります。ここは「as for ...」を用いずに主語を「Japanese people」にすれば済みます。  「練習の絶対量が不足」は「don't have enough chances to use ...」で十分ではないでしょうか。  「練習不足」の2つの理由は、お馴染みの「not only ... but also」を用いると分かりやすくなるでしょう。また「because ...」は接続詞として使うと「だれが何をするか」がより明確になります。  「英語教育のやり方のまずさ」は「間違った方法で英語を教わっている」という文で書いた方が柔らかくなります。なお、「環境」は「circumstances」ですね。  「~の気がします。」は「In my opinion,」でも良いのですが、「I feel that ...」で表せます。ここでは英文が長くなりすぎるので2つの英文に分けて書いてみます。   2つの理由を否定する「not because they want so nor because they are ecpecially competent to read English」の部分は問題があります。「Aでも(なければ)Bでもない。」という日本語は「not A nor B」ではなくて「not A or B」が良いでしょう。   「文字を気にする」という表現は「どのように読むのか」とか「どのように日本語に訳すのか」と表現した方が聞き手にとって分かりやすいでしょう。「文字」をそのまま逐語訳して「letters」としたら文字通り「書かれた文字(の見た目)」を気にするような感じになってしまいます。  「そうならざるを得ない。」という日本語の意味を表すために「be obliged to ...」を用いると何か(またはだれか)に強制されているような強い意味がでますので「cannot help ...ing」が良いかもしれません。「自然に・・・するようになる。」という意味が出て来ます。  問題の「・・よりもましだ。」は「better than ...」で十分ですが、どうしても別の表現を用いるのなら「・・・よりも悪くない」と考えて「not worse than ...」とすると良いでしょう。  全体をまとめてみます。  I think that Japanese people don't have enough chances to use English not only because they are taught English in a wrong way but also because they are under circumstances where they don't have to use English in their daily life.  I feel that they are too conscious of how they read, in other words, how they translate English into Japanese. I also feel that they cannot help doing so not because they simply want to do so or because they are very good at doing so, but because their reading ability is not worse than those of listening, speaking, or writing.  ご参考になれば・・・。

noname#97496
質問者

補足

回答ありがとうございます。 >それでも良いのですが「I think」や「I believe」の方が言いたいことが相手により伝わるでしょう。 I "suppose" that it is the matter of your interpretation on the original text and of your liking of English expression. >この英文の前に「日本人以外」のことについて述べているのであれば構いませんが、そうでなければ不自然な感じを与える恐れがあります。 はい、原文自体が長文から抜き出した一部です。それに、そうでなくても暗黙で他の非英語圏の人との比較を暗示していますので、問題はないと思います。 >ここは「as for ...」を用いずに主語を「Japanese people」にすれば済みます。 なるほど、「日本“人”」ということを明確にするために peopleを使ったんですね。これは日本人が多用しがちだと思うんですが、でもそうすると、むしろ「日本国民」というニュアンスになりませんか? >「練習の絶対量が不足」は「don't have enough chances to use ...」で十分ではないでしょうか。 なるほどね。しかし、「練習」というのは実際に外国人と実地で英語を使うだけでなく、CDなどを聞きながら地道にシャドーウィングなどをする練習も含まれると私は考えていますので、googoo1956さんの主観が入っていると思います。 >「練習不足」の2つの理由は、お馴染みの「not only ... but also」を用いると分かりやすくなるでしょう。 この表現が好きなんですね。しかし、この表現を使うなら、項目の順序を入れ替えた方が思うんですが、どうでしょう? I feel that not only your translation is not faithful enough to the original text but also you have added a bit of your own opinion. >「そうならざるを得ない。」という日本語の意味を表すために「be obliged to ...」を用いると何か(またはだれか)に強制されているような強い意味がでますので「cannot help ...ing」が良いかもしれません。 これは日本の教育のシステム上、強制のニュアンスを私は感じます。これも原文の解釈の問題でしょう。 >どうしても別の表現を用いるのなら「・・・よりも悪くない」と考えて「not worse than ...」とすると良いでしょう。 この表現、いいですね。

回答No.5

I suppose that the reason that the most of Japanese can't use English is a shortage of English training quantity caused by ineffective English teaching methods and by lack of chances to use English in their daily lives. In my opinion, the reason that Japanese are especially conscious of reading English is not because they want to do, nor they are especially good at reading, but because they are just obliged to do because their reading ability is "less worse" than the others such as listening, speaking, or writing. 英語の専門家ではありませんが、いちおうアドバイスさせていただきますと  1)冠詞の使い方: the Japanese  2)and とor: listening, speaking, (and) writing あたりを直せばもっと良くなると思います。

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 冠詞の使い方は間違っていないはずです。 "less worse"はおかしくないでしょうか? worseはbadの比較級ですが、これをlessで劣等比較級にするのは文法的にどうなんでしょう? しかし、この質問の焦点は「まし」の訳し方なので、いいところに目を付けられたと思います。

noname#181603
noname#181603
回答No.4

Since English is not essential for us and the education has been bad so far, we are short of English practice. I don't think we have good reading skills in English nor that we are better at reading in English than listening or writing. The reason we only pay attention to written English letters is because it is the only way we have been taught in English classes.

noname#97496
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 日本人をweで表わされましたか。しかし、客観的に日本人を指す場合は相応しくないような気がします。それから、pay a attentionでは語気が弱い気がします。また、“because it is the only way we have been taught in English classes”の部分は原文と意味が微妙にズレていないでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

So intimate is the relation between a language and the people who speak it that the two can scarcely be thought of apart. A language lives only so long as there are peo- ple who speak it and use it as their native tongue, and its greatness is only that given to it by these people. A language is important because the people who speak it are important-politically, economically, commercialally, social-ly, culturally. English, French, and German are great and important languages ​​because they are the languages ​​of great and important peoples; for this reason they are widely studied outside the country of their use. -A. C. BAUGH, A History of the English Language 構文分析よろしくお願い致します。 できるだけ丁寧に解説して頂けると嬉しいです🙇‍♀️

• 入試長文問題 日本語訳

最後の2つの文の意味がわかりません。 それと問題が わかりません。 問題*本文によれば、イングランド人をsleeping-walkerと呼べるのはなぜですか。      日本語で説明しなさい。 George Orwell のEngland your England だそうです。 Here are a couple of generalizations about England that would be accepted by almost all observers. One is that the English are not gifted artistically. They are not as musical as the Germans or Italians, painting and sculpture have never flourished in England as they have in France. Another is that, as Europeans go, the English are not intellectual. They have a horror of abstract thought, they feel no need for any philosophy or systematic ‘world-view’. Nor is this because they are ‘practical’, as they are so fond of claiming for themselves. One has only to look at their methods of town planning and water supply, their obstinate clinging to everything that is out of date and a nuisance, a spelling system that defies analysis, and a system of weights and measures that is intelligible only to the compilers of arithmetic books, to see how little they care about mere efficiency. But they have a certain power of acting without taking thought. Their world-famed hypocrisy – their double-faced attitude towards the Empire, for instance – is bound up with this. Also, in moments of supreme crisis the whole nation can suddenly draw together and act upon a species of instinct, really a code of conduct which is understood by almost everyone, though never formulated. ここまではなんとなく訳せたのですが、次の2つの文の意味がわかりません。 The phrase that Hitler coined for the Germans, ‘a sleep-walking people’, would have been better applied to the English. Not that there is anything to be proud of in being called a sleeping-walker. よろしくお願いします。

• 訳を教えてください。

Euphemisms are not useless verbiage for that which can and should be said bluntly; they are like secret agents on a delicate mission, they must airily pass by a stinking mess with barely so much as a nod of the head, make their point of constructive criticism and continue on in calm forbearance. Euphemisms are unpleasant truths wearing diplomatic cologne. 以下の部分がとくにわかりません。合わせてご解説いただけたら嬉しいです。 *for that which ~ *with barely so much as a nod of the head *make と continueはthey must に続くのですか? よろしくお願いします!

• 翻訳お願いします

According to a recent study, the number of non-native speakers of English is now three times as large as that of native speakers. The new English speakers aren't just studying English as a second language, but they are also changing it and even creating their own version of it.

• 英語の和訳

学生なのですが 英語の和訳がわからないので よかったら教えてください! People often feel that cats are staring at them. Perhaps this is because cats'eyesare very big. Compared to their body size,they have the biggest eyes of all mammals. They can see six times better in the dark than people can. Cat owners also find that their pets spend a lot of time sleeping. Both domestic and wild cats sleep for sixteen to twenty hours a day. Sometimes cats which are playing suddenly lie down and fall asleep. But they can wake up right away and be ready to chase their prey at any time. Cat owners love watching their cats play with a string or a ball. It's true that humans first tamed cats because they were useful. But today,we keep cats as pets because they have cute looks and mysterious personalities. よろしくお願いします

• as good asについて質問

以下の英文を読んだ上で私の質問に答えてください。 but they will take nothing for granted,because they know that they are only as good as their current job ,and that their fame may not continue (しかし、彼等は何事も当然であるとはみなさないだろう,なぜなら現時点でやっている仕事の程度にしか彼等は上手くいっておらず,彼等の名声は続かないかもしれないことを知っているからだ) 質問:as good asは、参考書に熟語の訳語として、「~ほどよく」とありました。しかし、同じ参考書の英文の訳には、上記の通り「現時点でやってる仕事の程度しか上手くいっておらず」と訳されており、熟語の訳語とは違います。 何故こんな訳し方なのでしょうか?

• 英問英答(3)ラスト

So today, to have learned English means to have your own rights as one of the users of the language. And it is just as likely that the future course of English will be influenced by second or foreign language speakers of English as by native speakers. Language learners will be facing these World Englishes, and they will develop a sense of international standards of English ―as well as their national norms of English, which are currently the focus of learning. It may not be many years, however, before an international standard becomes the starting-point for every learner of English, with British, American, and other varieties all seen as optional versions of English. 【questions】 What does “to have learned English” mean? What will learners of English develop when they face World Englishes? 二問ありますがおねがいします!

• 英問英答(1)

What happens when a large number of people adopt English in their community? They develop "an English" of their own. In fact , there are now many varieties of spoken English developing around the world , in countries such as India and Ghana. 【question】 Where are varieties of spoken English developing? おねがいします!

• 次の英文の意味がわかりません。

訳していただけないでしょうか? Imagine children being said during their childhood, that they shouldn't say that or that, because it's not polite (children are usually direct). Then, when they grow, they don't know how to act without hurting people. In some countries, for most of the people saying "no" it's challenging, because they want to pleased everybody. 何となくはわかる様な気がしますが、理解が不十分なので教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の添削お願いします。

課題文:Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Young people should start to live on their own and become indepentent of their parents as early as possible.Give reasons to support your opinion. 解答: (1)I think young people should start to live on their own and become independent of their parents as early as possible. (2)I think so because,when they start working they will have to do everything by theirselves.Their parents won't help them any more.If they are not independent of their parents,they cannot work. (3)Second, if they start to live on their own,they will know that doing houseworks such as making meals,cleaning rooms is hard work. (4)And the most important reason is that,when they have their children,they have to teach their children a lot of things by them selves.If they are not indepentent of their parents,they can't raise their children properly. (5)I have friends who live on their own.They are doing everything by theirselves,so they look confident. (6)With above reasons I think young peole should start to live on their own and becomeindependent of their parents.約150words,30分 TOEFL対策の問題です。 後々読み直してみると、 firstがないのにsecondを使ったり、 一番大事な理由を述べているパラグラフの位置が中途半端だったり、 無駄にパラグラフを多くしてしまった点がよくなかったように思います。 文章構成・表現・文法なんでも稚拙な部分が多くあると思うので直したほうがよい所やアドバイスがあったらぜひ教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。