• 締切済み

英The Times紙のコラムの一節・and instead prefers~

英 The Times紙からです。筆者は Andy Zaltzman氏。タイトルは「Hurrah! No more diving behind the sofa」。11月8日のものです。最後の方の Added interest という見だしの部分から引用します。 America has not had a monopoly on momentous historic events this week. Here in Britain, interest rates were lacerated by 1.5 per cent to their lowest rates since Princess Anne was a little girl. In future years, we will all be able to tell our grandchildren where we were when we heard the news. The markets promptly fell in a typical sulk. Having demanded a rate cut, they responded like a spoilt child who refuses to ride the Christmas unicycle for which it had irritatingly pined for months, and instead prefers to play with a half-chewed stick it found in the garden. The Government's desperate efforts to impose some discipline on the markets are failing, and it is now paying the price for its years of parental overindulgence. 上記文中の and instead prefers to play with a half-chewed stick it found in the garden. の意味をご教示ください。 なお、その他の箇所の意味はざっと次のようなものと思います。 今週歴史的な出来事を経験したのはアメリカだけではない。ここ英国でも、金利が1.5パーセント引き下げられ、アン王女が幼い少女だった時代以来で最低の水準にまで落ち込んだ。将来、我々は自分の孫達に、このニュースを聞いた時自分がどこにいたか話して聞かせることができよう。 市場はいつもの沈滞ムードの中で即座に下げを記録した。金利引き下げを求めてきたにもかかわらず、彼らはまるで甘やかされた子供、例えば、何ヶ月もクリスマスのプレゼントに一輪車をうるさくせがんできたにもかかわらず、それに乗ろうとせず、(問題箇所)~子供のようだ。市場にある程度の規律をもたらそうとする政府の絶望的な努力は無に帰しつつある。長い間管理する側が過度に甘やかしてきたそのつけを今払う破目になっている。

みんなの回答

• msmhshs2
  • ベストアンサー率19% (4/21)
回答No.2

つけたしですが、 「政府」=親 「市場」=だだをこねる子供 「金利(下げ)」=プレゼントの一輪車 という風な構図のようですね。 今までの市場原理主義の風潮の中で、 「市場」に対する規律が野放しにされた結果、 昨今の金融危機で政府はそのつけを払うはめになった。 kaiyoseiさんの理解でいいのではないでしょうか。 問題個所は、どうなんでしょう、 私も言葉通りと思うのですが。

kaiyosei
質問者

お礼

すみませんが、前回の質問「The Economist経済記事の一節3・When markets were~」のレスをこちらに書かせてもらいます。 OKwaveさんの方から 「当サイトでは、同一内容の質問を繰り返し投稿(=マルチポスト)することはご遠慮いただいております。ご質問を投稿する際は、最適と思われるカテゴリーに1回だけ投稿するようお願いいたします。~」うんぬんというメールが来て、予告もなしに質問が締め切られてしまいました。 失礼な話です。^^; 英語と経済金融のどちらにも同じ程度かかわる問題でもどちらかひとつのカテゴリーでしか質問できないようです。 どういう理由かわかりませんが、新しく経済カテゴリーに質問しなおした方が残され、こちらのカテゴリーの方が締め切られてしまいました。 で、経済の方に質問した結果は今のところ進展がありません。 すでに書いたように「そういったカテゴリーの回答者の方は、専門知識はあるにせよ、この問題のように it が指すものは何かとかの英文解釈上の疑問にきちんと納得のいく説明ができるかどうか自分としてはやや不安を感じています」という悪い予感があたってしまいました。 少なくとも私にはその方の解釈は納得がいきませんでした。 一度経済カテゴリーを覗いてみてください。なにかご意見がありましたらやはりそちらの方に書きこみをお願いします。 では。

kaiyosei
質問者

補足

レスありがとうございます。 stick の正体については No.1 の方のお礼コーナーに自分の当初の候補を挙げました。No.1 の方のものをあわせて4つの説が出ています。 やはり「犬のかじった棒切れ」説を支持ですか? ^^

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • Hideto123
  • ベストアンサー率30% (126/420)
回答No.1

ここでは、「庭で見つけた、(犬が)半分かじった棒切れ」という意味以外に 深い意味はないような気がします。 「ずっとほしがっていた一輪車」と対比させたいだけでしょうから、 「庭で見つけたガラクタ」ぐらいの訳で十分なのではないでしょうか? 自信がないので、「参考意見未満」ということで、 軽く読み流してください。

kaiyosei
質問者

お礼

レスありがとうございます。 もちろん大意としては「庭で見つけたガラクタ」でかまわないのですが、「クリスマスのプレゼントにと何ヶ月もせがんできた一輪車」と具体的な例を一方に出しているので、バランス上こちらももう少し具体的かつ正確に意味を取りたいと思うのです。 一応自分が当初あれこれ考えた stick の正体は以下の通り。 1. 昔、子供達はニッキ(ニッケ? )と称する味のある木の根をかじっていたものでしたが、英国にも同様にそれに似た木の根があった。 2. やはり、子供時代にスカンポ(スイバ? )とかいう植物の茎をガジガジかじったりしていました。(stickには「植物の茎」という意味があります)。英国にも同様にそういう植物があった。 3. 板状のチューインガムを stick と表現した。 さすがに 1. の線はなかろうと思いますが、2 はどうでしょう。子供のすることはけっこう万国共通と思えますので可能性がなきにしもあらずと思えます。^^ しかし、言われてみれば、犬のかじった棒切れというのは自然ですね。英国人は犬好きですし。 かなり有力な説をありがとうございます。 しかし、他の方の意見ももう少し聞きたいと思います。質問の締め切りはまだ先にさせていただきます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 英The Times紙のコラムの一節・Strange, though, the stuff~

今回は英 The Times 紙のユーモアコラムからです。 冒頭の一文章のみご教示ください。 コラムの最初の段落を引用します。 Strange, though, the stuff we cling to, to have something to understand. Back in the Middle Ages, they'd have floods and fires and famines and, for want of anything better to do, they'd burn a witch. This week, for a while, it seemed like they might burn Robert Peston. 上記の文章 Strange, though, the stuff we cling to, to have something to understand. の訳をお願いします。 文構造の説明もしていただければありがたいです。 (普通の文章に直すとどういう文章になるのか、その書き換えでもかまいません) なお、ちょっと面白いし、短いものなので以下全文をざっと訳してみました。 (質問文)。 中世を振り返ってみると、当時の人々は洪水、火事、飢饉などをたびたび経験した。そして、他に面白いこともなかったので人々は魔法使いを火刑に処した。今週、ちょっとの間、人々はロバート・ペストンを火刑に処する勢いだった。 Then there was the curry. Nobody seems entirely sure whether the Government's latest rescue plan was £50 billion or £500 billion or perhaps a few billion more, but everybody knows that it was thrashed out over a meal for 32 from Gandhi's Indian takeaway in Kennington. それからカレーの話だ。政府の直近の救済策が500億ポンドなのか5000億ポンドなのか、あるいはそれともさらにもう何十億ポンド必要な規模なのか誰も確かなことは言えないようだ。だが、皆これだけは承知している。その策定は、関係者32人がケニントンのインド料理店 Gandhi's から届けられた食事を食べながらであったということだ。 Some dissent, though, over its content. This newspaper spoke of tandoori chicken, which I obviously believe, even though the Evening Standard and The Scotsman swore blind that it was chicken korma, pilau rice and poppadoms, and the Financial Times ran a quote, no less, of the Chancellor personally ordering “boiled rice and sag aloo”. The Guardian had Darling placing his order at 8.30pm, and The Independent said that the food came at 9.30. The Times said the order was placed at 9pm, the Evening Standard said it arrived at 10pm. We may never know the truth. Disloyal as it may sound, I favour The Guardian's version. Only that newspaper also brought us the bill, which came to £245. That's 0.000004p for every man woman and child in the United Kingdom. ただし、食事の詳細については異論もある。本紙はタンドリーチキンと報じた。もちろん私はそれを信じている。だが、イブニング・スタンダード紙とスコッツマン紙によると、チキンコルマ、ピラフ、ポパダムという品揃えである。一方、フィナンシャル・タイムズの方はおやおや、ダーリング財務相の注文はライスとサグアル(ほうれん草とジャガイモのカレー)だったとの証言を載せている。同財務相が注文を出したのは8時半とガーディアン紙。食事が届いたのは9時半とインディペンデント紙。タイムズ紙は注文時間を9時とし、イブニング・スタンダード紙は食事の到着時間を10時とする。真実は誰にもわからないかもしれない。信義にそむくようだが、私としてはガーディアン紙の数字が気に入る。 勘定を明らかにしてくれたのはガーディアン紙だけだからだ。それは245ポンドである。イギリスの男、女、子供全員が0.000004ペンス負担する計算だ。 Afterwards, all agree that they had biscuits. 記事の終わりで上記全メディアの意見が一致したのは、関係者がビスケットを食したことだ。

• 英Independent紙のコラムの一節

今回は英国 Independent紙のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Dom Joly氏。 最初から2番目の段落までを引用します。 Dom Joly: I'm crazy about Palin, and she's everything I hate Sunday, 21 September 2008 It's getting quite embarrassing. I'll be flicking through the "dirty" channels, hoping for a glimpse of what I desire when... Stacey bursts in and I have to fast-flick back to 'Takeshi's Castle' on Challenge. It's too late though ? she knows what I'm up to. "Have you been watching Fox News?" she'll scream accusingly. I pretend to not know what she's talking about, but this lady is not for turning. "I don't know what you find so interesting about Sarah Palin but it's got to stop ? she's a monster." I try to bury myself deep into the comforting folds of my leather sofa. I know she's right but I am in the grip of a terrible obsession with the US VPILF. I can remember when I first saw her ? all white teeth and sexy glasses and hair scrunched up in a bun like some cliched teenager's mom fantasy. She was so... in charge... and so... sure of herself... she's not a blinker. She's everything I hate ? a right-wing born-again who feels that she might be "good" with foreign policy because she can "see Russia from my house". McCain is about as healthy as Jimmy Savile and, should he win, she'll probably be President by Valentine's Day and at war with Belgium by the spring. I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. 2番目の段落の最後の文章 I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. の意味を教えて下さい。 なお、全文はこちらで読めます。 http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/dom-joly/dom-joly-im-crazy-about-palin-and-shes-everything-i-hate-936861.html * なお、良回答の20ポイントはなんとか1人に絞りますが、10ポイントの候補は1人に絞るのが難しいのが常です。その場合、回答時間の早い方に決めさせていただきます。ご了承下さい。 (shiremonoさん、前回のIHTの質問の際、ポイントがつかなかったのはそういう理由です。すみません)

• 翻訳お願いします 英→日

We have a Policy Guidance Note on Exchange Traded Funds available here https://bit.ly/3dJI9ak. Please read it to understand the requirements a promoter must meet to issue an ETF. These should not be reviewed in isolation. Please also review the Capital Markets Act, Capital Markets (Securities)(Public Offers Listing and Disclosures) Regulations 2002 -amended 2019 and Code of Corporate Governance Practices for Issuers of Securities to the Public 2015 all available at http://cma.or.ke. These Regulations will are integrated and important for an issuer to understand when making an application for our consideration.

• 英Spectator誌のコラムの一節

今回は英国誌 Spectator のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Hugo Rifkind 氏。 自分にはわからないことがいろいろあると述べた中での文章です。 一段落分を引用します。 I certainly don’t understand what has been going on at Cern, although that seems to be OK. In fact, there would appear to have been some sort of columnists’ moratorium circulated on Cern, even though I wasn’t cc’d in on it, which basically says that nobody needs to understand it, but everybody can write about it anyway, and the fact that nobody really knows what the hell they are on about is just one of the things that makes the whole damn shebang so thoroughly clever and super. I’m hoping this approach doesn’t catch on, and spread to other areas, or I might be out of a job. 文中の Cern は「欧州合同素粒子原子核研究機構」。先頃、世界最大の素粒子加速実験を行ったことで話題になりました。 上記段落中の次の文章の解釈にやや自信がないので解説・訳などをお願い致します。 In fact, there would appear to have been some sort of columnists’ moratorium circulated on Cern なお、全文はこちらで読めます。 http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/columnists/2088411/shared-opinion.thtml

• 英Times紙のコラムの一節・Be that face and~

前の質問の決着がついていませんが、手元に質問がたまっているので、同時並行して質問させていただきます。 英Times紙のコラムからです。前回の質問と同様、オバマ氏の大統領選挙勝利をめぐり書かれた多くのコラムの中のひとつ。 筆者はマシュー・パリス氏。「Calm down! He's not President of the World」と題する10月8日のものです。 内容は、オバマ氏に対する熱狂を戒め、もっと冷静に対処することを呼びかけたもの。 後半の段落を3つ引用します。 He is the pop star whose poster adorns the adolescent's bedroom wall; the Blessed Mary who understands her supplicant's every woe; the gentle Jesus, a personal friend who will not forget us; the David Beckham who is surely deeper/cleverer/gayer/more cultured (depending on your bent) than he seems; the Queen Mother who, if she ever had come to tea, would have got on with us like a house on fire. It is desperately important that we never meet these people, for reality would be cruel. We thought they knew our joys and woes, heard our prayers, and when it dawns on us that the demigod at whose feet we laid them hasn't listened, can't help, or doesn't care, our sense of rebuff will be personal. In our minds we were friends. Believe me, the disillusion when Elton John looks bored to meet you and turns away can be bitter. There is no limit to the adoration of the potential fan club for an individual who - in myth or reality - can present a welcoming, receptive but essentially blank face with warmth, with charm, and perhaps a little guile too. Be that face and tremendous power will be transmitted through you, for you will be reflecting - back upon those who sent them - a million prayers. 上記文中の Be that face and tremendous power will be transmitted through you, for you will be reflecting - back upon those who sent them - a million prayers. の訳をご教示ください。 なお、前の2段落の訳はざっと次のようなものと思います。 オバマ氏は、若者が寝室の壁に飾るポスターとなるようなポピュラー音楽のスター。嘆願者達のすべての悩みに理解を示す聖母マリア。慈悲深きキリスト。我々のことを常に気にかけてくれる個人的友人。見かけよりも確実に深みがあり、賢明で、陽気、教養を備えた(あなたのお好み次第でどれでも)デビッド・ベッカム。もし我々の家にお茶のために立ち寄ったとしたら、まことに上手く会話に溶け込める英国女王。 こういった人物達に決して会わないことが極めて重要事である。現実は残酷なものだからだ。彼らは我々の喜びや悲しみを承知している、我々の願いを聞き届けてくれる、そう我々は思い込んでいる。そして、我々がその足元に身を投げ出した神々しい存在が、我々の言葉に注意を払わず、手を差し伸べることをせず、あるいは、なんとも思っていないということがうっすらと感じ取れるようになったとき、自分が拒絶されたという感覚は切実なものとなる。心の中では我々は友人同士だったのに。実際、エルトン・ジョンがあなたに会って退屈そうにし、そそくさとどこかに行ってしまったとしたら、失望のほどは思い知られよう。

• 英Independent紙のコラムの一節・because we happen to know~

手元に質問が溜まっていますので、決着のついていない質問が前にありますが、同時並行して質問させていただきます。 英 Independent紙のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Rebecca Tyrrel氏。12月22日の「Everybody hates us. And if we met ourselves at a party, we'd hate us, too」 と題するもの。 質問箇所は第3段落ですが、念のため第4段落まで引用します。 In March, Matthew instigates the "Why haven't you done anything about the garden?" row. In the middle of July, he asks, "How do you know I'm not anaphylactic if I've never actually been stung by a wasp?"; and in December we embark on the "We have no friends" debate. I knew this particularly festive discussion was imminent from the look on Matthew's face as he sat on the sofa, the twinkling tree lights reflected so prettily in his whisky tumbler. He was staring forlornly at the mantelpiece. "Six cards," he muttered. "Just the six. Six, six, six. No more, no less. Just six." "But that is a 50 per cent improvement on last year," I console. "No, it's not!" he snaps back. "It's bloody not. Last year we had four. And this year we only hung on to those two," he inclines his head towards a brace of cards on a side table, "because we happen to know that it's 12 years since the people they were actually meant for lived at this address." He then points out that the card in the middle of the mantelpiece is from a local Indian restaurant, and we were lucky to get that since the last time he had any dealings with them, it was to complain about a "cataclysmically oversalted king-prawn dhansak", which he suggested they might like to force-feed to the chef with the aid of a plunger. I say nothing about any of this, I am biding my time until I am obliged to offer the ritual denial of the proposal about to be made: that we have no friends. 上記第3段落の文章 And this year we only hung on to those two,(省略)because we happen to know that it's 12 years since the people they were actually meant for lived at this address で、筆者の意味するところはどういうことなのかをご教示ください。 なお、質問箇所の前までの文章の意味はざっと次の通りと思います。 夫のマシューは「なんで庭をほったらかしにしてるの」論争を3月に開始する。6月の半ばには、「蜂に刺されたことがなくてどうして自分が急性アレルギー反応を起こさないとわかるんだ」と聞く。12月は「自分達には友人がいない」論を繰り広げる。私には楽しさ格別のこの議論がいよいよ持ち出されることは、ソファに陣取った夫の顔つきから明らかだった。ウイスキーを注いだタンブラーにはクリスマスツリーの光の点滅が鮮やかに映っている。夫はマントルピースを寂しげに眺めている。 「クリスマスカードは6枚だ」と夫はつぶやく。「たったの6枚。6枚、6枚、6枚。それ以上でもなければそれ以下でもない。6枚だ」。 「でも去年よりは50パーセントの改善だわ」と私はなだめる。「いや、とんでもない」と即座に夫はかみつく。サイドテーブルにある2枚のカードに顔を向けて「全然違う。去年は4枚だった。And this year we only hung on to those two, because we happen to know that it's 12 years since the people they were actually meant for lived at this address.」

• IHTのコラムの一節6・their party's frantic appeal~

IHT (インターナショナル・ヘラルド・トリビューン)紙のコラムからです。筆者はガリソン・ケイラー氏。タイトルは「The skinny guy's time」。10月29日のもの、すなわち、オバマ氏が大統領に当選する前の文章です。 念のため前後あわせて3つの段落を引用します。 The country longs for a president who can talk and think at the same time. We've been locked up with the Current Occupant for way too long and the thought of replacing him with the Angry Old Man of the Desert and Whoopee the Ice Queen is miserable in the extreme. Most of my Republican friends are people who are not ashamed of having worked hard and done well in school, and their party's frantic appeal to anti-intellectualism is nothing they care to sign up for. Time to nip that sucker in the bud. The party needs to reform itself around some coherent philosophy of governance and vision of the future and for that, it must take a trip to the wilderness. They are quietly supporting the skinny guy this time around. They might tell a pollster otherwise but that's what they will do. Call it the Palin Effect. 上記文中の their party's frantic appeal to anti-intellectualism is nothing they care to sign up for. Time to nip that sucker in the bud. の意味をご教示ください。 (なお、anti-intellectualism のご説明は不要です)

• IHTのコラムの一節4

例によってインターナショナル・ヘラルド・トリビューン紙のコラムの一節からの質問です。中途の文章の2つほど、解釈に自信がないので訳をお願い致します。 前後の段落を含めて引用します。 I'm not about to write a paean to Nixon. I watched him quit in a bar in Bolinas, California; I can still hear the cheer. But even his tortured nature betrayed some essential seriousness about the fate of the United States of America. By contrast, the Bush crowd has gambled the future of this country with abandon. (And Nixon did resign. Whatever happened to the notion that someone - a Cabinet member, a Wall Street CEO, the inventor of credit-default swaps - might actually fall on his or her sword? Shame has become a quaint chivalric notion, like honor, a thing of another American time.) Let's take a closer look at the Bush gamble. It's worth doing, because the first person in this country to re-price risk on the basis that it no longer existed was the president. Now, that's leading by example. The gamble involved going to war in Iraq at an estimated cost to date of about $700 billion (does that figure sound familiar?) while opting not to raise taxes but lower them. It involved going into that war, and another in Afghanistan, while asking not for shared sacrifice but a collective maxing-out in the service of shopping. 上記の文章中の because the first person in this country to re-price risk on the basis that it no longer existed was the president. Now, that's leading by example. の訳をお願い致します。 なお、他の部分をざっと訳すと次の通りです。 私は別段ニクソン大統領を誉めそやそうというのではない。私は彼の辞任発表をカリフォルニアのボリナスのバーのテレビで見守った。その時の歓声はいまだに耳に残っている。しかし、彼の屈折した性向の中にさえ、アメリカの将来に対するある本質的な真面目さがうかがえた。これとは対照的に、ブッシュ政権の人々は自分達の思うがままにこの国の未来を担保にして大博打をやっている。 (それにニクソンは実際に職を退いたのだ。誰かが――政権内の人間、ウォール街のCEO、CDSの発明者などが――自らの失敗の責任をとるという考えは一体どうなったのか? 「恥」という概念は奇妙な、騎士道的概念、「名誉」と同様に、アメリカの古きよき時代の概念になってしまった。 ブッシュのやった大博打を仔細に検討してみよう。それはやってみる価値がある。なぜなら、the first person in this country to re-price risk on the basis that it no longer existed was the president. Now, that's leading by example. その大博打とは、イラクとの戦争を開始したこと。現時点で推定7000億ドルのコストがかかっている(またかというような額である)。それも、増税どころか減税しながらである。それから、イラクとは別にアフガニスタンでも戦闘を展開していること。国民の間で犠牲を分かち合おうと呼びかけることはせず、国民が一丸となってショッピングに従事することを最大化しようと図りながらである。

• この英会話を訳してください!

Seth : We have my mom's ranger, we have a perfect alibi as i go to this comic book convention every year and we also have my entire life never doing anything wrong. Which completely allows my parents to give a false sense of trust. Ryan : And you want to give that all away for Summer in a wet t-shirt doing body shots. Seth : (pause) Sorry, i thought that was a rhetorical question. Yes, Ryan, yes. On the last weekend before school, one goes to Tijuana, it is tradition, it is a right of passage, and you know what else? What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico.

• 翻訳お願いします 英→日

翻訳お願いします 英→日 Any information will be shared with the applicant and not third parties. To help me understand your interest please share background information on your keen interest in this firm and also disclose your name and contact details in case we would like to get in touch.