take the ride of one's lifeの意味とは

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 「take the ride of one's life」は、人生で一度きりの素晴らしい経験をすることを意味します。
  • この表現は、熱気球やジェットボートなどのアドベンチャースポーツや体験を勧める文に使われることがあります。
  • 少年がケンカ相手に飛びかかっていく場面で使用された文は、少年が人生で一度きりのスリルや興奮を体験したことを表しています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

"take the ride of one's life"の意味は?

子供向けのお話なのですが、少年がケンカ相手に飛びかかっていく場面で、"He hollered as he took the ride of his life"という文がありました。"take the ride of one's life"って、どういう意味なのでしょう? インターネットで検索すると、下記のような、熱気球やジェットボートの体験を勧める文に使われているので、ありふれた言回しだと思いますが・・・お手上げです。 "Come and take the ride of your life. Hot air balloon flights are one of the most peaceful wonderful and thrilling adventures you can take" "Take the ride of your life on this 30 minute action packed jet boat ride on the beautiful upper reaches of the Derwent River" よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • kenjamin
  • ベストアンサー率41% (52/126)
回答No.1

....... of one's lifeと言う表現は”一生で”という意味でよく使います。the ride of your lifeはあなたの一生の(思い出となる)乗り物となります。 最初のケンカ例文では、”彼は命を懸けた(スリル一杯の)乗り物に乗ったかのような大声を出した”と解釈します。 次は、よくアメリカのテーマパークの宣伝で見かける表現ですが、”一生に一度の(一生の思い出となる)乗船(気球)してみませんか?”、その次も同様に”一生に思い出となる30分のジェットボートに乗りませんか”という内容です。

参考URL:
http://eow.alc.co.jp/of%20one%27s%20life/UTF-8/
CatWho
質問者

お礼

早速回答いただき、ありがとうございます。すっきりしました。

関連するQ&A

• take/ride/get on

The plane he (took/rode/got on) will take off soon. 例えばこの場合、どれを使うのがいいのでしょうか? get onは「乗る動作」rideは「乗っている状態」を表す そうですが、そう言われてもよくわかりません。 takeも「乗る」と言う意味があると思います。 これらの使い分けについて、詳しい方よろしくお願いいたします。

• "take a skin of water"の意味

タイトルの通り、"take a skin of water"という文の意味が分からずに困っています。辞書も使いましたがわかりませんでした。 Googleでこの言い回しが使われている文章を探してみると、 "Lord Winslow would take a skin of water and half a loaf of bread up to The Hill and..." "Won't you allow me to take a skin of water from your pond?" などが出てきました。 ご存じの方、ご回答お願いします。

• one of the five best days of your life の意味

映画「クレイマー・クレイマー」を観ていたら、「いいニュースが台なし」という字幕で、英語が She lused up one of the five best days of your life. となっていました。直訳でこの英語の意味はどうなるのでしょうか?5日というのは、何か由来があるのでしょうか? 教えていただければ幸いです。

• "one's take on ~"は、アメリカ英語?

できるだけアメリカ英語に偏った表現を避けてニュートラルな英語を覚えようと心がけている英語学習者です。 "one's take on ~"という言い方は、アメリカ英語でしょうか? それとも、インド人もイギリス人も南アフリカ人も使うような一般的なものでしょうか? 回答に自信のある方からの回答をお待ちします。 例文) What is your take on Oshiete Goo? 教えてGooについての、貴方の見解はどうですか?

• take one's cues

Dear Prudence, My husband and I made friends with another couple, “Katie” and “Steven,” last year. We have kids around the same age, and we get together a few times a month for backyard dinners and drinks. Recently, I remarked to Katie how much her children resemble her, and she replied that she hears that all the time. I jokingly asked how Steven feels about that, and she said: “Well, Steven’s trans. Didn’t you know?” I didn’t know. It hadn’t occurred to me. I was so surprised that my reaction was something along the lines of, “Oh. Cool!” And then the conversation naturally shifted course. I’m concerned that maybe I underreacted. Gender identity is important, and I can’t begin to imagine what Steven went through before and during his transition. My husband and I consider ourselves to be LGBTQ allies, and I want Steven to feel comfortable and supported in our home. We’ve seen them a few times since and nothing seems weird or awkward, so maybe I’m just overthinking this. But could or should I have responded differently? It didn’t feel like a coming-out conversation, more like a casual disclosure of information. Still, I’m worried that I said the wrong thing, and I’d love your perspective. —Underreactionary? You took your cue from Katie, who made it clear that this is information she (and presumably Steven) are comfortable with you knowing but that didn’t require a serious, involved follow-up conversation, and your response in that context was wholly appropriate. You’re likely right in assuming that Steven has gone through a great deal before and after transitioning, but that doesn’t mean he wants to go into detail about it with even the friendliest of neighbors. Steven and Katie already do feel comfortable and supported in your home, and there’s nothing you need to do here except continue to be friendly and welcoming and to take your neighbors’ cues on the subject of his transition. 2回take one's cuesという表現が出てきますが、それぞれどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• take one's hat off

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年6月号Lesson 5(2)のUedaさんの台詞で、”take one’s hat off”があります。Web検索してみると take your hat off to sb If you say that you take your hat off to someone, you mean that you admire them for an achievement: So Emma actually manages to juggle two small children and a full-time job, does she? Well, I take my hat off to her. 出典Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus 日本語でも「脱帽です。頭が下がります。」ですが、帽子を被る習慣は明治時代からでしょうから、この言い回しは英語から入って来たものなのかな。 それはどちらでもいいことですが、実際に帽子を脱ぐという表現はNHKのこの講座では下記のWalkerさんの例のように”take off one’s hat”となっている気がします。一応テキストですから、わざと使い分けているのですか?それとも混同をさけるため、使い分ける習慣なのでしょうか? Ueda: I'm sure they keep you on your toes. I take my hat off to you. @2017年6月L5(2) Walker: You should definitely take off your hat when you enter someone’s house or a church. But a bar? @ 2011年8月L10(1) ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• The Rest of your Life

友人の結婚式に使われていた曲だったと思います。Na LeoのThe Rest of your Lifeの歌詞ですがあなたの残りの人生に。。と意味はおおまかにわかりますが、どなたかロマンティクに訳していただけないでしょうか?歌詞の和訳サイトで探しましたが、この曲はどうしてもみつかりません。。よろしくお願いします。 What are you doing for the rest of your life? We could watch the stars at night, twinkling high above. ‘Cause I promise you, for the rest of your life I will be there by your side, I will be your love. What are you doing for the rest of your life? If you believe in destiny then how can you not see that I’ll be with you for the rest of your life. Someday you will realize we were meant to be. Time flies on guilded wings and faith in my heart it sings, but I just have to know one thing… What are you doing for the rest of your life? Cold I be the only one to know this part of you? And you will find, for the rest of your life that I will love you for the rest of mine. Yes I will love you for the rest of mine…

• "one's" の意味

"auxiliary" という単語が使われている例文を辞書で調べたら、 "English is a useful auxiliary to one's native language."  というのを見つけました。 "one's"の意味が分からなかったので、これも調べてみたら、 "one's"の意味は主語の人称によって、 "He ~ his ~ ."や"I ~ my ~ ."に変わるとありました。 上記の英文の主語は"English"だから、 "its"になるのかな?とおもったのですが、 それならなぜ" ~ its native language."ではなく、 " ~ one's native language."と書いてあるのかな? と疑問に思いました。 もしかして、"one's"の形は主語の人称によって変わるのではなく、 話の中心の人称 (例えば上記の文なら、自分のことを話しているなら"my"、 話し相手(2人称)の人に対して話しているなら"your") によって変わるのではないかと思いました。 私の考えが間違っているのか、 辞書が間違っているのか、 それともただ単に私が何か勘違いしているだけなのか、 分かる方がいらっしゃいましたら、 どうかご教授してください。 よろしくお願いします。

• on the one's back の意味

on the boy's back の部分がうまく訳せません。 熟語、慣用句的な表現だと思うのですが、 意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 ・・・・ ある大学教授は、10代の息子と仲が悪かった。 This man's entire life was essentially academic, and he felt his son was totally wasting his life by working with his hands instead of working to develop his mind. As a result, he was almost constantly on the boy's back,... 結果として彼はほとんど絶えず 『その少年の{背中・後ろ}にいた』

• この文脈の中の”it takes”の意味を教えてください。

以下の文、 The Obama administration says American schools should produce students who are "college and career ready." What is the best way to do that? One group that has some ideas is the National Center on Education and the Economy. Marc Tucker is president of this nonprofit organization. MARC TUCKER: "The president has called for focusing in on what it really takes to be successful in work and in college, and he has called on America's educational institutions, primary and secondary educational institutions, to do whatever it takes to get our kids college ready. That is precisely what we are doing." で、後半のMARC TUCKERの言葉の中で "it really takes" "it takes" とあるのですが、itは何を指すのかと、takaはここではどういう意味なのかわかりません。itが仮主語だとすると、takeはどう訳すのですか。 よろしくお願いします。